gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:32:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 839102 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: September 16, 2020, 06:36:49 PM »

ESQ just tweeted about the box set, maybe that means it is moving forward?

https://twitter.com/ESQmagEditor/status/1306053498719670272

From the new Fall 2020 issue of ESQ: “There are several big announcements in The Beach Boys world coming soon.”

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: September 16, 2020, 06:46:52 PM »

From the new Fall 2020 issue of ESQ: “There are several big announcements in The Beach Boys world coming soon.”

"Several"

We shall see

They can't even get a box set out
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:47:19 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: September 16, 2020, 06:48:20 PM »

I posted earlier that you posted that on the EH forum but it got completely buried. Thanks for posting that in the first place!

I'm really hoping "coming soon" means sooner rather than later (like the last tease). This fanbase needs some good news right about now.

Also I want to thank ESQ again for posting something about Feel Flows. Really means a lot that we're getting more support for this cause.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1578 on: September 16, 2020, 07:28:10 PM »

You totally missed the point of john’s post. He was not talking about gf listening to the set on youtube as you state. He was talking about gf telling one of the main compilers of those sets that he would not buy the set and that he was glad he downloaded it illegally on the internet. Boasting in fact he was glad he did. And telling this to alan. So much so alan replied that post was appalling. Alan also wrote to gf another post about it. You have a mod telling alan he will illegally dl those sets. Putting future releases in jeopardy. And you wonder why alan hasn’t posted here since. If this kinda thing happened in any company in the usa that person would be let go. And yet gf is still a mod. That is the definition of appalling.

Plus gf hasn’t ever said much of anything about those boastful posts.

That was what john was referring to.

In advance of what I'm going to reply to Steve so the truth actually gets told, I'm not doing this to derail or distract from the box set discussions. But when someone posts what are either outright lies or distortions against me, I get a chance to reply. So here it is.

Getting this out of the way first, Steve, I did in fact address this the day it all happened and posted a reply publicly. If anyone reached out to me privately on this issue I also discussed it with them off the board. Maybe you missed this or conveniently ignored it, but here is that exact reply with the date and link. After writing that, I said my peace and apologized. Until you and manning carried over to this forum this week, some two years after it happened and in Manning's case four years after he last posted here, my words have been on this forum for anyone to read.

But I'm proud to say I didn't pay a dime for them and got them for free online. My principle is, if certain names are attached and others left off of any project related to the Beach Boys, I don't give them a dime or a penny of my money. Best money I never spent.

It is becoming so incredibly difficult to get the corporate support that enables these highly specialized niche oriented projects to happen at all. Proudly stating that you won't pay a dime for a project because I acknowledged AGD for historical research in the special thanks isn't just a matter of availing yourself of the YouTube option. It feels more like a sort of boycott.  And this time it hurts a little, because (as you may have noticed), there is no promotion for this year's stack of tracks. We're hoping and praying that people who appreciate the hard work that goes into these projects will support that work by buying copies/downloads and proving to Universal Music that there is a market for this kind of Beach Boys archival collection.

The attention and feedback you all have given over the years has been inspiring. As for the stuff between the message boards and whatever it is we stepped in that made you decide to not actually purchase our latest work.... I don't know what to say to that. I hope you'll change your mind, because we need all the help we can get out here.

I appreciate the hard work, Alan, both you and Mark have been a Godsend to the fans and your persistence in getting this material out and love for the material itself...we're blessed to have you where you are, doing what you do! I'd never, ever suggest anything less.

I understand where it would hurt, but I would ask in return that you also understand how bad things were on a personal level between Doe and people I call my friends (and me, too), to where they were being lied about and trashed by a guy using his status as a "historian" to behave that way. And that hurt them, and me too to see what was going on behind the shroud of "insider" Beach Boys circles. There are lines one simply does not cross on basic human decency levels, and in some of these cases, lines were crossed which to this day there have been no apologies or even admissions that things should not have been said or done.

So I'll say again, I'm not advocating a boycott, I'm not saying don't buy this, but when I saw that credit it did put a dark cloud over it *for me* personally. I would think if the credit was for research, Ian Rusten among a few others would have deserved a credit too considering the sheer volume of research he's added through the years, especially to the site hosted by Doe.

But again, that's just me. If my wording on the "free" point was confusing, as I think it was, I'm sorry for that. If it felt like I was calling for a boycott, I absolutely was not. But just the same, seeing those credits did put a damper on the whole thing for me, and I had to be honest when I said that earlier, but perhaps in not the right choice of words. I want as many people as possible to hear this amazing music, I'd never suggest otherwise. But for me, the credits honestly did have an effect on my view of it and I wish that were not the case - My own hang-up.

Steve wrote: " He was talking about gf telling one of the main compilers of those sets that he would not buy the set and that he was glad he downloaded it illegally on the internet."

Totally false statement, Steve. I never said such a thing. I also never downloaded the set illegally on the internet. Don't charge me with things I didn't do, or tell people I said something I never said. The proof is in my archived posts. Perhaps you should check your facts before making accusations like this.

Steve wrote: "You have a mod telling alan he will illegally dl those sets. Putting future releases in jeopardy. And you wonder why alan hasn’t posted here since."

Bullshit, Steve. Again I never said I would download this set illegally, and I never did. Again as you can see in my posts, the set was posted on the official Beach Boys YouTube channel when it first came out, and I listened there. Not that it's any of your business, but I also paid for the set later through Amazon Music. So again, get your facts straight before lying about me and what I said or did.

The issue of this having anything to do with the Feel Flows box set has already been addressed by multiple people here. It is ridiculous, and as you've already been told by someone who actually knows what's going on, it has nothing to do with the current issues surrounding Feel Flows.

Steve wrote: "If this kinda thing happened in any company in the usa that person would be let go. And yet gf is still a mod. That is the definition of appalling."

Ok Steve, let's run your example another way. Let's say you had someone doing work for any company who had a decade-plus history of spreading lies and gossip about people in that company. Let's say some of those lies and gossip got revealed one day. Let's go even further and say the lies and gossip being spread by that person was about the spouse and family of one of that company's board members, not just a board member but one of the founders of that company.

Steve, how long do you think THAT person would last at the company? Do you think they'd be asked to do any more work for that company? Do you think they'd be invited to the company Christmas party and get thanked in the program?

How long do you think it would take before that person was out on their ass in the street once years of their lies and gossip about a founder and board member's wife came to light?

Well, you'll have to plug in the names in that example. It's funny how "appalling" you claim my comments were yet you seem to have no problem at all sitting silent through years of the other example which actually happened. Hint: The company name was BRI and the band's name was the Beach Boys. Fill in the rest...and next time try not to project dirty laundry that goes beyond anything you've tried to pin on me onto another example.

Appalling is g*ddamned right. Years of mocking and bashing a founding Beach Boys' wife...I guess in the book of Steve, that's not near as appalling as listening to tracks on YouTube. For fucks sake, take a dose of reality and perspective next time.

Steve wrote: "Plus gf hasn’t ever said much of anything about those boastful posts."

See my quote above from 2018.

Steve wrote: "That was what john was referring to."

I guess you're speaking for John Manning since he hasn't bothered to come back to respond or reply to questions asked of him two days ago? Or is this part of the email you sent him? Well, if you email him again, you can pass on the message that a few questions were asked of him, in case he missed them. Or maybe his first and only visit in four years was just to do a drive-by and try to take some shots at me. Anyway, if you are speaking for him now, pass it on to him if you would.

One last thing. Steve, you may have issues with me and that's perfectly fine. You can address them with me any time. But don't post outright lies and other bits of info that are false, especially when the exact words from years past are archived on this board and available for anyone to read. And don't try to place the blame for a box set not coming out on me when it's not only ridiculous, but you don't have a clue on the reasons why. It makes you look foolish (you can pass that on to Manning as well), especially in this case when what you posted doesn't match at all what was said or done. Oh, and this whole thing about bootlegs and illegal downloads and whatnot...I did get the message you sent me last summer offering me some unreleased Beach Boys material. I ignored it and never replied, but I'll make that right and do so now:

No thanks.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1579 on: September 16, 2020, 08:10:58 PM »

We're in agreement -

I did add a smiley just to show I'm not actually offended by it.

Reality is, anyone who has been around this world close to 80 years should have enough experience of life to just let some things go. My opinion only.

And I can't truly say I'm deeply into meditation these days, at least not TM. I think I did what I did for many years, and now I'm enjoying the benefits of it, to some extent.

I have always found it hard to reconcile Mike's meditation with his actions and attitude. All I can say is, I'd confidently bet that we don't use the same mantra!

Mike’s mantra, according to someone who should know, is “me me me” 😏

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1580 on: September 16, 2020, 08:49:55 PM »

You totally missed the point of john’s post. He was not talking about gf listening to the set on youtube as you state. He was talking about gf telling one of the main compilers of those sets that he would not buy the set and that he was glad he downloaded it illegally on the internet. Boasting in fact he was glad he did. And telling this to alan. So much so alan replied that post was appalling. Alan also wrote to gf another post about it. You have a mod telling alan he will illegally dl those sets. Putting future releases in jeopardy. And you wonder why alan hasn’t posted here since. If this kinda thing happened in any company in the usa that person would be let go. And yet gf is still a mod. That is the definition of appalling.

Plus gf hasn’t ever said much of anything about those boastful posts.

That was what john was referring to.

In advance of what I'm going to reply to Steve so the truth actually gets told, I'm not doing this to derail or distract from the box set discussions. But when someone posts what are either outright lies or distortions against me, I get a chance to reply. So here it is.

Getting this out of the way first, Steve, I did in fact address this the day it all happened and posted a reply publicly. If anyone reached out to me privately on this issue I also discussed it with them off the board. Maybe you missed this or conveniently ignored it, but here is that exact reply with the date and link. After writing that, I said my peace and apologized. Until you and manning carried over to this forum this week, some two years after it happened and in Manning's case four years after he last posted here, my words have been on this forum for anyone to read.

But I'm proud to say I didn't pay a dime for them and got them for free online. My principle is, if certain names are attached and others left off of any project related to the Beach Boys, I don't give them a dime or a penny of my money. Best money I never spent.

It is becoming so incredibly difficult to get the corporate support that enables these highly specialized niche oriented projects to happen at all. Proudly stating that you won't pay a dime for a project because I acknowledged AGD for historical research in the special thanks isn't just a matter of availing yourself of the YouTube option. It feels more like a sort of boycott.  And this time it hurts a little, because (as you may have noticed), there is no promotion for this year's stack of tracks. We're hoping and praying that people who appreciate the hard work that goes into these projects will support that work by buying copies/downloads and proving to Universal Music that there is a market for this kind of Beach Boys archival collection.

The attention and feedback you all have given over the years has been inspiring. As for the stuff between the message boards and whatever it is we stepped in that made you decide to not actually purchase our latest work.... I don't know what to say to that. I hope you'll change your mind, because we need all the help we can get out here.

I appreciate the hard work, Alan, both you and Mark have been a Godsend to the fans and your persistence in getting this material out and love for the material itself...we're blessed to have you where you are, doing what you do! I'd never, ever suggest anything less.

I understand where it would hurt, but I would ask in return that you also understand how bad things were on a personal level between Doe and people I call my friends (and me, too), to where they were being lied about and trashed by a guy using his status as a "historian" to behave that way. And that hurt them, and me too to see what was going on behind the shroud of "insider" Beach Boys circles. There are lines one simply does not cross on basic human decency levels, and in some of these cases, lines were crossed which to this day there have been no apologies or even admissions that things should not have been said or done.

So I'll say again, I'm not advocating a boycott, I'm not saying don't buy this, but when I saw that credit it did put a dark cloud over it *for me* personally. I would think if the credit was for research, Ian Rusten among a few others would have deserved a credit too considering the sheer volume of research he's added through the years, especially to the site hosted by Doe.

But again, that's just me. If my wording on the "free" point was confusing, as I think it was, I'm sorry for that. If it felt like I was calling for a boycott, I absolutely was not. But just the same, seeing those credits did put a damper on the whole thing for me, and I had to be honest when I said that earlier, but perhaps in not the right choice of words. I want as many people as possible to hear this amazing music, I'd never suggest otherwise. But for me, the credits honestly did have an effect on my view of it and I wish that were not the case - My own hang-up.

Steve wrote: " He was talking about gf telling one of the main compilers of those sets that he would not buy the set and that he was glad he downloaded it illegally on the internet."

Totally false statement, Steve. I never said such a thing. I also never downloaded the set illegally on the internet. Don't charge me with things I didn't do, or tell people I said something I never said. The proof is in my archived posts. Perhaps you should check your facts before making accusations like this.

Steve wrote: "You have a mod telling alan he will illegally dl those sets. Putting future releases in jeopardy. And you wonder why alan hasn’t posted here since."

Bullshit, Steve. Again I never said I would download this set illegally, and I never did. Again as you can see in my posts, the set was posted on the official Beach Boys YouTube channel when it first came out, and I listened there. Not that it's any of your business, but I also paid for the set later through Amazon Music. So again, get your facts straight before lying about me and what I said or did.

The issue of this having anything to do with the Feel Flows box set has already been addressed by multiple people here. It is ridiculous, and as you've already been told by someone who actually knows what's going on, it has nothing to do with the current issues surrounding Feel Flows.

Steve wrote: "If this kinda thing happened in any company in the usa that person would be let go. And yet gf is still a mod. That is the definition of appalling."

Ok Steve, let's run your example another way. Let's say you had someone doing work for any company who had a decade-plus history of spreading lies and gossip about people in that company. Let's say some of those lies and gossip got revealed one day. Let's go even further and say the lies and gossip being spread by that person was about the spouse and family of one of that company's board members, not just a board member but one of the founders of that company.

Steve, how long do you think THAT person would last at the company? Do you think they'd be asked to do any more work for that company? Do you think they'd be invited to the company Christmas party and get thanked in the program?

How long do you think it would take before that person was out on their ass in the street once years of their lies and gossip about a founder and board member's wife came to light?

Well, you'll have to plug in the names in that example. It's funny how "appalling" you claim my comments were yet you seem to have no problem at all sitting silent through years of the other example which actually happened. Hint: The company name was BRI and the band's name was the Beach Boys. Fill in the rest...and next time try not to project dirty laundry that goes beyond anything you've tried to pin on me onto another example.

Appalling is g*ddamned right. Years of mocking and bashing a founding Beach Boys' wife...I guess in the book of Steve, that's not near as appalling as listening to tracks on YouTube. For fucks sake, take a dose of reality and perspective next time.

Steve wrote: "Plus gf hasn’t ever said much of anything about those boastful posts."

See my quote above from 2018.

Steve wrote: "That was what john was referring to."

I guess you're speaking for John Manning since he hasn't bothered to come back to respond or reply to questions asked of him two days ago? Or is this part of the email you sent him? Well, if you email him again, you can pass on the message that a few questions were asked of him, in case he missed them. Or maybe his first and only visit in four years was just to do a drive-by and try to take some shots at me. Anyway, if you are speaking for him now, pass it on to him if you would.

One last thing. Steve, you may have issues with me and that's perfectly fine. You can address them with me any time. But don't post outright lies and other bits of info that are false, especially when the exact words from years past are archived on this board and available for anyone to read. And don't try to place the blame for a box set not coming out on me when it's not only ridiculous, but you don't have a clue on the reasons why. It makes you look foolish (you can pass that on to Manning as well), especially in this case when what you posted doesn't match at all what was said or done. Oh, and this whole thing about bootlegs and illegal downloads and whatnot...I did get the message you sent me last summer offering me some unreleased Beach Boys material. I ignored it and never replied, but I'll make that right and do so now:

No thanks.

Nothing else really to add, except to point out that artists do get played for YouTube streams. Not much, mind you, but they do get paid if played off the official channel

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: September 17, 2020, 06:50:25 AM »

Yes, Mayo was laid on a bit too heavy, eh? Too much Mayo always makes my face break out...  Smokin

No one will boycott FEEL FLOWS if the liner notes contain a mention of Mr. Suppressive Personality. If one is really offended by his inclusion, just grab a Sharpie and render him invisible.

Let's keep our eye on the prize. Everyone here who is on social media should grab that ESQ tweet and send it out as far and wide ("deep and wide"?) as they can, to spread the word that a fabulous 5-CD set with immense historical significance is teetering on the brink of life or death and that all Beach Boys fans, whether casual or fanatically devoted, should make their voices heard to tip the decision in the right direction.

And yes, it's beyond time for someone to channel their inner Daniel Ellsberg and leak the track listing, already!

FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: September 17, 2020, 06:58:53 AM »

Well, well, well, (half) sarcastically I feel like ESQ owes me an apology for being such jerks to me last week Roll Eyes That being said, I'm glad they finally decided to share something relating to this 'Feel Flows' set; it's interesting to me that when I corresponded with them they sounded awfully definitive that there was no reason I should expect them to enter the conversation. Whether it's a change of heart or something else I'm missing, it's a step in the right direction. Time to spread the word.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: September 17, 2020, 07:11:22 AM »

Yeah, the whole thing attacking GF was weird. I stream the end-of-year collections, too. I pay for my streaming subscriptions (Apple and Amazon), and some amount of that goes to the band. I understand problems with the streaming economy, but if you put the music on streaming platforms you conceivably hope that people will listen to them that way. Everyone on this board has shelled out more money in our lifetimes on this band than any rational person could defend, so let's be kind.

That probably contradicts my post earlier calling some folks idiots, but a foolish consistency is a hobgoblin of little minds.

And finally, good on ESQ.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: September 17, 2020, 08:03:08 AM »

Yeah, the whole thing attacking GF was weird. I stream the end-of-year collections, too. I pay for my streaming subscriptions (Apple and Amazon), and some amount of that goes to the band. I understand problems with the streaming economy, but if you put the music on streaming platforms you conceivably hope that people will listen to them that way. Everyone on this board has shelled out more money in our lifetimes on this band than any rational person could defend, so let's be kind.

That probably contradicts my post earlier calling some folks idiots, but a foolish consistency is a hobgoblin of little minds.

I don't understand why they don't take the Bob Dylan route and put up sampler albums (for big sets) on streaming and put the full sets on iTunes and Amazon for purchase. I guess they're assuming many people will pirate the music if they did it that way...but surely the amount of people who would pay $40+ for the full sets would outweigh the .003 cents they're making per play on Spotify. At least do that for the first year, and when most people have bought the set then place it up on streaming services.

And yeah, the attack on Guitarfool was weird but not surprising. Again, it's the reason why many of us will never sign up on that forum. While they put on a good guise of positivity, behind the veil is what you saw in the last 4 pages of this thread. They made the same attack against him in mid-August on their own forum, and for whatever reason they decided to team up and try the disinformation campaign again one month later on this forum. No amount of logic or proof can seem to persuade them that Guitarfool isn't The Beach Boys version of Kim Dot Com hellbent on singlehandedly destroying the profit-making capabilities of The Beach Boys archival releases. And I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but as long as these individuals keep trying (and failing) to revive the damn horse people will have to keep defending their (and others) integrity.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: September 17, 2020, 08:09:47 AM »

Plus rab, you get personal threats in the PM system if they don’t like you there! police

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 17, 2020, 10:20:19 AM »

Obviously no one here has to justify their choices when it comes to how they choose to enjoy Beach Boys product (as long as its legal), particularly as we have all indeed spent plenty of money over the years on the band. However, it is quite probable that buying rather than streaming these copyright extension sets is the best way to "support" their continuation, though the choice made by one person will make close to no difference.

It is also wrong and unfair for GF's actions to be misrepresented. However it is to me a little petty to proudly state that you haven't bought a set just because a particular name is included somewhere in the credits.

As it happens I don't generally don't buy digital music and instead choose to stream if that is the only option (the idea of having gigabyte upon gigabyte of digital music is not appealing to me...I have also almost never illegally downloaded music throughout my life). I am neither proud nor ashamed of that. My preference is for physical product, and I will be at the front of the queue for any physical release, e.g. 1967 Sunshine Tomorrow.

If these copyright extension sets appeared to be under serious threat due to the number of digital sales, I would happily buy them to ensure they get the best possible support from the fans.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: September 17, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »

Obviously no one here has to justify their choices when it comes to how they choose to enjoy Beach Boys product (as long as its legal), particularly as we have all indeed spent plenty of money over the years on the band. However, it is quite probable that buying rather than streaming these copyright extension sets is the best way to "support" their continuation, though the choice made by one person will make close to no difference.

It is also wrong and unfair for GF's actions to be misrepresented. However it is to me a little petty to proudly state that you haven't bought a set just because a particular name is included somewhere in the credits.

As it happens I don't generally don't buy digital music and instead choose to stream if that is the only option (the idea of having gigabyte upon gigabyte of digital music is not appealing to me...I have also almost never illegally downloaded music throughout my life). I am neither proud nor ashamed of that. My preference is for physical product, and I will be at the front of the queue for any physical release, e.g. 1967 Sunshine Tomorrow.

If these copyright extension sets appeared to be under serious threat due to the number of digital sales, I would happily buy them to ensure they get the best possible support from the fans.

Which is why, to me, talking about the digital sets is a red herring. This is hardcore, straight-up, legacy time. A big, high-quality set of some of a classic band's least-known but best music. A no-brainer, and I wish they did it on vinyl too.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: September 17, 2020, 11:28:50 AM »

However it is to me a little petty to proudly state that you haven't bought a set just because a particular name is included somewhere in the credits.

Let’s turn the tables: if some poster here spread a bunch of garbage about Jacquelyne I would hope people wouldn’t be too happy if that person’s name were included in an official release. Considering how much Melinda has been dragged through the mud the last decade+ I would hope that people would be a bit more understanding of why Guitarfool had the reaction that he did...again I say, if the tables were turned I doubt the reaction from a certain crew would be much different...and I wouldn’t blame them.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1589 on: September 17, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »

Agreed

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: September 17, 2020, 01:04:04 PM »

It is not necessarily unreasonable to be a little uncomfortable with and critical of the credit and you can voice that if that is your feeling.

It just seems like such a small detail as far as the release itself goes. Why should your issue with it be so great that you are *proud* not to pay for the set at all? Your disrespect for one name, basically in the form of a footnote, outweighs your respect for all the other people credited on the set including those that worked on it directly? Brian and Melinda Wilson themselves were seemingly indifferent to the credit being given, and they're the ones apparently being targeted.

GF himself said that he wishes it were not the case that the credits put him off, and in the end paid for it anyway...so I guess in the end he came around to thinking that it wasn't such a big deal.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 17, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »

Just to let you know, no announcements re: FEEL FLOWS will be coming via a fanzine.
If and when the project picks up steam -- I promise you guys will be first to know.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 17, 2020, 01:16:23 PM »

Great to hear from Howie again.
Fingers still crossed.

petsoundsnola
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1593 on: September 17, 2020, 01:29:06 PM »

Just to let you know, no announcements re: FEEL FLOWS will be coming via a fanzine.
If and when the project picks up steam -- I promise you guys will be first to know.

Thank you for the update...going to put this in my signature to stop any kind of misunderstanding or certain people’s obstinance
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:31:36 PM by ♩♬🐸 Murry the Friendly Ghost ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 17, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »

Sincere thanks for the update, Howie.

This music means a heck of a lot to a lot of people.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:40:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1595 on: September 17, 2020, 01:40:32 PM »

Which is why, to me, talking about the digital sets is a red herring. This is hardcore, straight-up, legacy time. A big, high-quality set of some of a classic band's least-known but best music. A no-brainer, and I wish they did it on vinyl too.

And this is one of many disconnects happening where a few people have tried to burst into the thread with their "industry" expertise to "explain" to us the obvious trends in physical vs. digital download vs. streaming.

I think a few people are under the false impression that advocating for a physical boxed set is somehow being ignorant to the realities of the music industry.

Trust me, Boyd/Linett/Edelson and Capitol/UMe understand the marketability of physical vs. digital, etc.

"Feel Flows" would be (and hopefully WILL be) something akin to the Beatles boxed sets released over the last three years. No, of course BB set won't sell like a Beatles set.

But we're lucky that "Feel Flows" was pitched not simply as "well, put it out physically too because some old timer BB fans don't like streaming".

"Feel Flows" is about legacy, about giving THE BAND (and also the fans) a lavish, respectable presentation.

Digital downloads/streaming are a NON ISSUE in this realm, because OF COURSE any BB release, as past archival releases have been, will also be available to buy digitally in Apple, Amazon, etc. (often if not usually including download high-rez options), and will also be streaming on Spotify/YouTube/Pandora, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1596 on: September 17, 2020, 01:42:13 PM »

Sorry but anyone who thinks streaming revenue will support future archive releases is delusional.

Not saying anyone is required to buy them or support them - stream away if you want - but presenting streaming as “supporting” the releases is a fallacy.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: September 17, 2020, 02:11:32 PM »

Also chiming in with a thanks for dropping by. Your phrasing gives me some hope that, if still stuck, it’s not completely off the cards yet.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: September 17, 2020, 02:16:56 PM »

Meanwhile, yet another big name artist gets their sh*t together and releases something amazing in the way of a career spanning box set that will be truly special.

I'm looking at you Elton John!

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9450922/elton-john-jewel-box-set-rarities-b-sides-deep-cuts
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1599 on: September 17, 2020, 02:23:00 PM »

Sorry but anyone who thinks streaming revenue will support future archive releases is delusional.

Not saying anyone is required to buy them or support them - stream away if you want - but presenting streaming as “supporting” the releases is a fallacy.

I think Wirestone is simply pointing out that the band/Capitol choose to put all of their material on streaming platforms. He's saying they're not putting it there for us NOT to listen to it.

Of course streaming has greatly devalued (both figuratively and literally) music, and of course artists make next to nothing on it, and of course it de-incentivizes people to buy it.

But none of this has anything to do with "Feel Flows" (other than, as I mentioned before, that a stopgap digital release at the end of this year could kill any eventual full release of "Feel Flows").

"Feel Flows" was devised and made in the context of 2020 music industry conditions, with full knowledge of the realities of the industry.

The hold-up is unrelated to any of these industry economics issues.

Sure, now and any time is always good to mention that yes, BUYING this set will help immensely more than not.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx