gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:55:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841717 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1450 on: September 08, 2020, 03:01:20 PM »

These members you call "fans posing as copyright experts" are either musicians who have been involved with both labels and their own releases (and have worked with legacy artists personally), or have been in and around the Beach Boys circles of information for several decades who have interacted with key players on several fronts.

Or in some cases, both.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: September 08, 2020, 03:15:39 PM »

Based on that "87 reasons" comment a few pages back I'm gonna have to assume that the box set has 87 previously unreleased tracks, otherwise it's a reference to Kokomo (released in '87). A third possibility is that this all stems from a dispute about $87 someone lent to someone else decades ago (possibly to rent an instrument), and was never repaid!

How am I doing, HeyJude?

Snarky comebacks tend to read better when the years they reference are actually accurate.

You should've done a Wipeout reference for '87.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1452 on: September 08, 2020, 03:52:47 PM »

The iChing (Sponsored by the Ancient Wisdom division of Apple) tells me differently. Mike’s holding up the boxed set because he’s pissed the Pickle Brothers material didn’t get reissued

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1453 on: September 08, 2020, 04:20:57 PM »

Calling fans talking about this set entitled and spoiled...hmmm, I also remember several years ago a Brian Wilson tour of the UK was postponed and some of the same loud voices blasting fans supporting this set were acting as if a criminal offense had been committed and spinning several false reasons why the concerts were not held. Entitlement, et tu? Funny how things turn like that.

LOL even more funny considering how much obnoxious whining that group did regarding Brian playing more "final" Pet Sounds shows...Did they want Brian Wilson to play the UK or didn't they?

Just consider beyond this, the question *why* are fan efforts to do something or anything to help get the word to the right people being dismissed, mocked, and outright denigrated by certain individuals and circles?

And consider who those circles/individuals frequently defend (or more telling, which camp they chastise often)...

Great point(s). I guess it's not entitlement to either want or expect Brian to tour and play a setlist that those fans wanted rather than what was being offered. But notable that it's some of the same voices now claiming fans are acting with a sense of entitlement surrounding this box set. What's the term for that...starts with an "h" I believe...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1454 on: September 08, 2020, 07:08:32 PM »

Calling fans talking about this set entitled and spoiled...hmmm, I also remember several years ago a Brian Wilson tour of the UK was postponed and some of the same loud voices blasting fans supporting this set were acting as if a criminal offense had been committed and spinning several false reasons why the concerts were not held. Entitlement, et tu? Funny how things turn like that.

LOL even more funny considering how much obnoxious whining that group did regarding Brian playing more "final" Pet Sounds shows...Did they want Brian Wilson to play the UK or didn't they?

Just consider beyond this, the question *why* are fan efforts to do something or anything to help get the word to the right people being dismissed, mocked, and outright denigrated by certain individuals and circles?

And consider who those circles/individuals frequently defend (or more telling, which camp they chastise often)...

Great point(s). I guess it's not entitlement to either want or expect Brian to tour and play a setlist that those fans wanted rather than what was being offered. But notable that it's some of the same voices now claiming fans are acting with a sense of entitlement surrounding this box set. What's the term for that...starts with an "h" I believe...

Whoa...slow down....you’re making sense and that concept is lost in some quarters. We may need to bring out the reading blocks and Mr. Socko and break it down slowly.

hyp·o·crite
/ˈhipəˌkrit/

noun
a person who indulges in hypocrisy.
"the story tells of respectable Ben who turns out to be a cheat and a hypocrite"

Or better yet  “Him say thing about bad man and do same thing him do. I’m telling mum!”

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:09:32 PM by ♩♬🐸 Apple Bottom Jeans (Boots with the Fur) ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: September 09, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »

Based on that "87 reasons" comment a few pages back I'm gonna have to assume that the box set has 87 previously unreleased tracks, otherwise it's a reference to Kokomo (released in '87). A third possibility is that this all stems from a dispute about $87 someone lent to someone else decades ago (possibly to rent an instrument), and was never repaid!

How am I doing, HeyJude?

Snarky comebacks tend to read better when the years they reference are actually accurate.

You should've done a Wipeout reference for '87.

Okay, right you are. Not the era of the band I've got the most interest in.

But to be clear, not really intending to be "Snarky". It's more just an expression of my frustration with the pettiness of things that go on in this band. Although I referenced HeyJude, it was merely because he made the 87 reasons post - not because I've got anything against him or what he posts.

I guess I just don't feel that anything we do here will make any difference. It's frustrating not knowing why it is that this dysfunction continues after all these years.

BTW if ML happens to read this there's the title for the 2021 reunion "After All These Years" - has the advantage that it references the 1989 reunion - the first great Beach Boys reunion of the modern era.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: September 09, 2020, 03:23:43 PM »

I guess I just don't feel that anything we do here will make any difference. It's frustrating not knowing why it is that this dysfunction continues after all these years.

I'd like to think of the butterfly effect in this case. Yes, 1,300 people signing a petition isn't earth shattering by any means, but that is 1,300 individual people who are publicly supporting the people in background who are possibly still trying to make this set happen. There are 1,455 posts in this thread alone, having 120,000+ views. Some of those views are from Howie himself, makes me wonder if Mike, Al, Bruce, Brian, Melinda, etc are some of those views too.

Our discussions, petitions, "entitled" behavior could very well give some of these people the extra push of motivation needed to get done what needs to get done. Given what Howie has told us, it sounds like whatever is going on isn't fun for him. Now imagine if there were ZERO posts about this set. Imagine if there was no enthusiasm, no support from fans. I'm not sure if there is currently any effort to get this set released, but if there is (back to the butterfly effect) perhaps just one of the posts here could be enough to keep the momentum going for a possible turnaround for this set.

Maybe we don't have any impact. But I'd rather do something rather than nothing just in case there is even a small chance that our discussions actually do have an impact on the release of this set.

Perhaps if ESQ posted about the set then even more enthusiasm could be created from the fanbase. There are other big names that don't seem to be giving this set any support, and I wish they would. It appears as if these players in the game are entrenched politically in their respective camps and it's utterly ridiculous. What happened to that slogan that was thrown around all the time by ESQ on this forum:

"It's all about the music!"

But yet right now when the music is on the chopping block there is no talk of the music. Just pure silence - actually, its worse than silence: deleting a post and denigrating a grassroots petition privately. Does that sound like a love of the music to anyone else?

Let this sink in: a creator of the last major boxset release that this band will ever have posted publicly that this boxset is currently shelved. And the biggest fanzine associated with this band has NOTHING to ask/say about it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: September 09, 2020, 04:48:50 PM »

Although I post here under a pseudonym I was one of the first to sign the petition.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: September 09, 2020, 05:04:53 PM »

Although I post here under a pseudonym I was one of the first to sign the petition.

You've also been a regular part of the discussion in most of this thread, which helps too. I hope what I wrote above didn't inadvertently imply that you yourself weren't doing anything to help this set get released. If so, I didn't mean to imply that at all. I, too, feel discouraged about the way things are going, and at times I have my doubts that anything we're doing will help at all. But I am grateful for all the discussion that has continued to take place here for the last couple months. And thank you for signing the petition.

And a huge thanks to whoever made the petition in the first place! The wording, the artwork for the petition page - it's all top notch.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:06:19 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: September 09, 2020, 05:56:11 PM »

You've also been a regular part of the discussion in most of this thread, which helps too. I hope what I wrote above didn't inadvertently imply that you yourself weren't doing anything to help this set get released. If so, I didn't mean to imply that at all. I, too, feel discouraged about the way things are going, and at times I have my doubts that anything we're doing will help at all. But I am grateful for all the discussion that has continued to take place here for the last couple months. And thank you for signing the petition.

And a huge thanks to whoever made the petition in the first place! The wording, the artwork for the petition page - it's all top notch.

I think the petition is well-worded, and does its best to get people wanting to sign. And I know with this band there's always an element of toeing the line. But in my humble opinion, I'm of the mind that the petition should go further, to mention that most of the members of the band with active social media accounts CONTINUE as of September 2020 to post about material from this set, CONTINUE to mention the anniversaries of the albums in question, which can only be taken as a hint  to fans of their side in this situation... while another member of this band conspicuously has been completely quiet about the set and conspicuously ignores the anniversary of the albums, and to let fans draw their own conclusions.

Something like "We don't know what this means exactly, but it would seem that there is a behind the scenes impasse happening; this set, highlighting a particularly fruitful period of music for his late brothers, may be shelved against Brian Wilson's wishes". Will this do any good? I dunno. But I think it'd get more people to want to sign it. This very thought might piss some people off, as it should.

I think fans will possibly be more incentivized to sign and share, and may get more fired up if they think there's some sort of injustice happening against the wishes of the last surviving Wilson brother in particular, and the legacies of his late brothers are seemingly being f*cked with and diminished.

There cannot be a legit, understandable reason why that can be explained away as being "okay, no problem, nothing to see here."  This is not just a vague injustice for music fans that this music would not come out in and of itself, but in my view it would be very much highlighted that it seems by most logical evidence that a non-release of this box would go contrary to Brian Wilson and Al Jardine's wishes, who in late 2020 (during a time period when the petition is active and repeatedly shared on their pages, so they know it exists) have social media accounts that continue to actively promote and remind fans of the band's music from this time period. Brian and Al are not doing that by accident. They're telling fans "we like this material too, and we'd really like to talk about details, but we can't at this time, but here's a bone we can throw you that hints very strongly at our thoughts on the matter"

I'd love if Brian and Al would outright state their side in this clearly, but if negotiations are happening, that is the only logical reason why they'd keep quiet and try to not stir the pot. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to surmise that band members who continually post about anniversaries of specific albums would not be the cause of a non-release of material from said albums.

Maybe there's a better, slightly more diplomatic, and less long-winded way to word things that I stated above. Mike doesn't need to be directly accused of anything, except conspicuously ignoring those album anniversaries, which is a piece of factual information. But I stand by my feelings in a general sense that incorporating just a bit of this general idea would help the petition gain more traction. Plus it might make a publication want to write about it. Most fans (casual or more than casual but less than superfans) aren't gonna do the research to know what seems to be going on here.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:11:18 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1460 on: September 09, 2020, 06:15:09 PM »

If the petition slows down at 1500 or 1350 or whatever, at least those fans spoke up and let the band members know that there is a demand and that they would buy this set. That's not a bad thing, in fact for over 1,000 fans to say they will spend at least 100 bucks on a Beach Boys box set with no coverage in the music press so far, during a pandemic when money is tight all over, through a true grassroots effort and petition...I'd say that's pretty damn good. Cheers to all who have been signing it and talking it up.

I know I've said it before, but it's come to a point where if there are people within this fan community, and people who may place themselves *above* the regular fans, who see fit to mock or dismiss or even denigrate this petition and those signing it...what else can you say to them except screw you.

I think the examples of the BW shows and setlists above pretty much called out the hypocrisy of those labeling fans "entitled" over this box set, so if there are valid reasons why some are being so negative toward fellow fans trying to inspire a release, they had better be damned good and more than valid reasons or else there will be even more of a divide among fans of this band and the music. And maybe that's a good thing at this point? Who knows. I guess it also puts the oft-used, bogus catch-phrase defense "It's all about the music" to rest as mentioned above. Which is also a good thing. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: September 09, 2020, 06:18:16 PM »

I signed! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1462 on: September 09, 2020, 06:38:11 PM »

Awesome!!!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: September 10, 2020, 08:19:08 AM »

I think fans will possibly be more incentivized to sign and share, and may get more fired up if they think there's some sort of injustice happening against the wishes of the last surviving Wilson brother in particular, and the legacies of his late brothers are seemingly being f*cked with and diminished.

Great point, CD. Perhaps in our public pleas for signatures we can also add that in. No matter what is holding this set up, it certainly is an injustice, not only to the Wilson brothers, but to the music itself that this set has been such a pain for someone in the band that it is unlikely to even be released.

I think the examples of the BW shows and setlists above pretty much called out the hypocrisy of those labeling fans "entitled" over this box set, so if there are valid reasons why some are being so negative toward fellow fans trying to inspire a release, they had better be damned good and more than valid reasons or else there will be even more of a divide among fans of this band and the music. And maybe that's a good thing at this point?

Guitarfool, I completely agree. I’m sure the reasons are 100% valid to the people inspiring and promoting the negativity (or censorship). But to regular fans, the band, and the music itself it’s a complete slap in the face. And while the OP said that the “entitled” ones were those who want the set “tomorrow”, literally no one has demanded that this set be released “tomorrow”. So I can only assume that their gripe is with those who have been vocal about getting the set released before the copyright deadline (and that basically is “tomorrow” in marketing/manufacturing terms)...which would be the 1300 fans who have signed the petition.

GF, it honestly is a good thing because it perfectly illustrates the reasons for the divide between the fandom camps. Further, it illustrates how band politics have permeated the fandom to the detriment of the music...to the point where some won’t even promote a simple webpage whose sole purpose is to help get Beach Boys music released. Again, heaven forbid that fans are enthusiastic about the music. Heaven forbid that some fans are being proactive about supporting the makers of this boxset instead of whining about entitlement.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 08:24:28 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: September 10, 2020, 08:20:15 AM »

I started following @flows_feel on Twitter that I saw popup after Van Dyke Parks and Carnie Wilson liked a post from them.  It looks like @flows_feel is posting songs from the box set era and asking people to sign the petition.  Just thought I would pass it on.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: September 10, 2020, 08:46:37 AM »

This is a really popular thread, nearly 125k views. Would not be a bad idea to update the first post in the thread with the petition. Just a thought.

https://www.change.org/p/release-the-beach-boys-feel-flows-box-set-in-2020?cs_tk=ApzpaKsVJ-TDQ94bLF8AAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvNObON_SgyMDRlcVdV8PmUk%3D&utm_campaign=23e2ebc2ef4649ffb4ecef28cccd583a&utm_content=initial_v0_0_3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=promotion_completion&utm_term=cs

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: September 10, 2020, 03:29:02 PM »

This is the only part of the URL you need to use:
https://www.change.org/p/release-the-beach-boys-feel-flows-box-set-in-2020

It goes to the correct location. The question mark and everything after it in the post above are tracking for an email promotion. (Full disclosure, I used to put together email promos as part of my job, so I know how to recognize the tracking parts of a URL.)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:32:57 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: September 10, 2020, 03:56:47 PM »

Forums like this log multiple views per user though, right? E.g. I've probably viewed this thread 30 times, maybe more - practically, the number of individuals who've actually viewed the thread may be something like 5% of that large figure
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:57:32 PM by Tom » Logged
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: September 10, 2020, 04:24:29 PM »

Funny I started to read this whole thread (well, most of it...) the exact same day that the release of Tom Petty's long-awaited Wildflowers & All the Rest album was finally announced.

In that particular case, the delay was due to legal and family disputes between Petty's daughters and his widow. (I seem to remember it was annonced by TP himself around 2012 / 2013, four or five years before he passed away).

Completely different situation, of course, but there's a similarity in that we might finally hear the best music that particular artist's ever recorded.

So, it might take years for Feel Flows to finally come out, but I'm not losing hope!
Let's just hope it comes out in our lifetimes and that it doesn't have time to become another "BB mythic lost album" like Smile.

I signed the petition.

Greetings from Belgium.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:29:01 PM by Toursiveu » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: September 10, 2020, 04:27:27 PM »

I just signed.

Fingers crossed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1470 on: September 10, 2020, 05:03:29 PM »

This is the only part of the URL you need to use:
https://www.change.org/p/release-the-beach-boys-feel-flows-box-set-in-2020

It goes to the correct location. The question mark and everything after it in the post above are tracking for an email promotion. (Full disclosure, I used to put together email promos as part of my job, so I know how to recognize the tracking parts of a URL.)

Good information...thanks

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: September 10, 2020, 05:30:03 PM »

Billy C. Is the man! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: September 10, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »

Funny I started to read this whole thread (well, most of it...) the exact same day that the release of Tom Petty's long-awaited Wildflowers & All the Rest album was finally announced.

In that particular case, the delay was due to legal and family disputes between Petty's daughters and his widow. (I seem to remember it was annonced by TP himself around 2012 / 2013, four or five years before he passed away).

Completely different situation, of course, but there's a similarity in that we might finally hear the best music that particular artist's ever recorded.

So, it might take years for Feel Flows to finally come out, but I'm not losing hope!
Let's just hope it comes out in our lifetimes and that it doesn't have time to become another "BB mythic lost album" like Smile.

I signed the petition.

Greetings from Belgium.
Another similarity is that we'll get to hear Carl Wilson's great voice on both the Feel Flows box set and the Wildflowers box set.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: September 12, 2020, 10:14:11 PM »

I posted a comment on a Al Jardine Facebook page post that read “Please release the Feel Flows boxset.

A short time later I received a notification that said, “Al Jardine likes your comment “.

Not that it was Al himself and, this was like a month ago. But it gave me hope.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: September 13, 2020, 10:21:49 AM »

I posted a comment on a Al Jardine Facebook page post that read “Please release the Feel Flows boxset.

A short time later I received a notification that said, “Al Jardine likes your comment “.

Not that it was Al himself and, this was like a month ago. But it gave me hope.

I'm still keeping the faith myself. What you mentioned above is just more evidence that, as if anyone had any doubt, Al and Brian must want the box out as they support this material, while one member (who regularly acts like a member of a different kind) stays completely silent about this material sticks and thus out like a sore thumb.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx