gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:13:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 842069 times)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 11, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »

Regarding NLNTL / Manson, it would seem pretty obvious that what the band knew and what they were prepared to say publicly were 2 different things.
Dennis knew, and I’m sure other members knew too, but as far as I know, at least by 1976, Brian didn’t know
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 11, 2020, 12:21:27 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:59:30 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: March 11, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »

I recall an interview in the early 1990s when Mike was asked about the Capitol two-fer CDs, and he said he barely even knew about them.

ETA: That turns out to have been an understatement. The interview is here: http://troun.tripod.com/mikelove.html.

Quote from: Mike Love
For instance, they were going to do a Best Of The Beach Boys Volume Three in 19 - , whatever the hell it was, and I came in there and went, "Wait a second, call in Endless Summer." And instead of being Volume Three which sound nauseating to me...

He obviously forgot about the *actual* Best of the Beach Boys Volume Three that came out...and frankly, I don't blame him.

What's interesting is that "Endless Summer" doesn't conform to what a "Greatest Hits Vol. 4" (or Vol. 3, etc.) would have been, because it repeats a bunch of the songs from those old GH albums. So it's not like it was just a title change. Mike's apparent idea essentially amounted to "Let's reissue the 'Best of the Beach Boys Vol. 1 and 2', switch around some tracks, and re-title it."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: March 11, 2020, 12:57:10 PM »

The Manson angle has, obviously, always been a touchy subject with most of the band members. How much of that is due to bad feelings and uneasiness versus simply being a PR issue, that’s up for debate I suppose. The farther away from Dennis the member/associate was/is, the more likely they seem to be more bemused about the whole debacle rather than alarmed or concerned. I sense Dennis was far more uneasy even broaching the subject than, say, Bruce, for instance.

Other than Mike weirdly using it as an “edgy” angle to sell his autobiography a few years ago, the band members have rarely volunteered to talk about Manson in any detail.

Which highlights the fact that the band has been pretty lucky over the years that they haven’t more often been asked about it, and that that particular angle to their story has not been more regularly highlighted in pieces on the band that cover their history.

Some of this was due to periods when nobody cared enough to interview them much or ask them about anything (e.g. some parts of the late 70s into the 80s). Their low ebb of fame and attention occasionaly benefitted them in that there was little scrutiny. Various brushes with the law in the 70s, or the band playing Sun City in 1981/82, went largely unnoticed.

There was one old TV news piece/interview that was up on YouTube *years* ago but has been gone for ages, where Brian and Al are being interviewed sitting next to each other, during the MIU-ish era in 1978, and the interviewer brings up Manson to Brian, and Al uncharacteristically gets super agitated and offended and blocks the interviewer from asking Brian about it. Al seemed to be genuinely concerned that discussing it would upset Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: March 11, 2020, 03:55:46 PM »

The Manson angle has, obviously, always been a touchy subject with most of the band members. How much of that is due to bad feelings and uneasiness versus simply being a PR issue, that’s up for debate I suppose. The farther away from Dennis the member/associate was/is, the more likely they seem to be more bemused about the whole debacle rather than alarmed or concerned. I sense Dennis was far more uneasy even broaching the subject than, say, Bruce, for instance.

Other than Mike weirdly using it as an “edgy” angle to sell his autobiography a few years ago, the band members have rarely volunteered to talk about Manson in any detail.

Which highlights the fact that the band has been pretty lucky over the years that they haven’t more often been asked about it, and that that particular angle to their story has not been more regularly highlighted in pieces on the band that cover their history.

Some of this was due to periods when nobody cared enough to interview them much or ask them about anything (e.g. some parts of the late 70s into the 80s). Their low ebb of fame and attention occasionaly benefitted them in that there was little scrutiny. Various brushes with the law in the 70s, or the band playing Sun City in 1981/82, went largely unnoticed.

There was one old TV news piece/interview that was up on YouTube *years* ago but has been gone for ages, where Brian and Al are being interviewed sitting next to each other, during the MIU-ish era in 1978, and the interviewer brings up Manson to Brian, and Al uncharacteristically gets super agitated and offended and blocks the interviewer from asking Brian about it. Al seemed to be genuinely concerned that discussing it would upset Brian.

Damn, i need to see that interview!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 11, 2020, 04:08:15 PM »

It was really weird seeing Al actually getting pissed off about it. He actually swore at the interviewer.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 12, 2020, 04:40:16 AM »

Is this the interview where they are at a record store to do a meet and greet for the LA Album release?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: March 12, 2020, 06:50:35 AM »

Is this the interview where they are at a record store to do a meet and greet for the LA Album release?

Could be; can't remember for sure. I just remember it was 1978 or 79, so yeah, they were plugging either MIU or LA. LA is probably more likely, as they seemed to do more publicity for that one.

I don't remember Al swearing, just a rather stuffy news guy *relatively* innocently asking Brian about something to do with Manson, and Al being agitated and doing a "don't ask about that, we're not here to talk about that" bit. It wasn't like Al started screaming and ran the guy out of the room. But it was a more firm, awkward refusal and admonition than typically seen in interviews with BBs or Al specifically.

I might still have this archived away somewhere on an old laptop or something. I'll have to check.

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 12, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »

I remember seeing that a few years ago. That's a pretty good description of how it played out. Al was just trying to keep things positive.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2020, 02:30:36 PM »

Al says something like "That's bullshit", and then basically redirected the questioning, but in a bit of a harsher tone than usual. The weird thing is that the interviewer brings manson's name up completely out of nowhere. I got the distinct impression that whoever asked the question didn't seem to have a firm grasp on who Manson even was.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 12, 2020, 09:48:25 PM »

You would be surprised how many people know about the BB Manson connection.
I was talking to my friend, who knows nothing about the BBs, and I was telling him all about Brian, and he asks, “Didn’t he help Manson with the murders?” I literally was shocked.
I obviously explained the true story, how Dennis was the one who let Manson live out of his house, and they worked on some music. I explained how the BBs were in no way responsible or the cause of Manson’s crime.
Thats the problem with the BBs talking about Manson, no matter how many times they talk about what actually happened, all most people take away is that the BBs were connected to a famous murderer
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: March 14, 2020, 08:43:19 AM »

Heh. Probably about ten years ago I was teaching an ACT prep class (those of you not in the U.S., it's one of the tests teenagers take to help with their university admissions), and for some reason one of the kids mentioned Charles Manson. Another student said, "Wasn't one of the Beach Boys involved with him?"

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: March 14, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »

Heh. Probably about ten years ago I was teaching an ACT prep class (those of you not in the U.S., it's one of the tests teenagers take to help with their university admissions), and for some reason one of the kids mentioned Charles Manson. Another student said, "Wasn't one of the Beach Boys involved with him?"

Well, at least it doesn't happen the other way around - meaning, someone just mentions The Beach Boys, and someone else automatically says, "Oh yeah, they knew Charles Manson". At least, HOPEFULLY not!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 14, 2020, 09:06:34 PM »

Well, at least it doesn't happen the other way around - meaning, someone just mentions The Beach Boys, and someone else automatically says, "Oh yeah, they knew Charles Manson". At least, HOPEFULLY not!
It does unfortunately
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 18, 2020, 01:24:13 AM »

How long before any release should we expect to have a press release, track listing or any other firm details on this?
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:28 AM »

From what I can gather from BBFC site....

Made in California - press release on June 11, 2013 for the release on August 27

Beach Boys' Party: Uncovered and Unplugged - press release on Oct 22, 2015 for the release on November 20

Pet Sounds 50th - press release on March 23, 2016 for the release on June 10

Sunshine Tomorrow - press release on May 23, 2017 for the release on June 30

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 18, 2020, 11:03:17 AM »

Suppose that means at least four weeks before, but potentially a couple of months (if we're lucky).
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 18, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »

I'm also starting to wonder if there could be another major box set for the 60th anniversary.

1980/83= The Capitol Years 6 LPs / 4 CDs (20th anniversary)
1993 = Good Vibrations: Thirty Years of the Beach Boys (30th anniversary)
Nothing in particular around the 40th anniversary, then
2011 = Smile Sessions + 2013 = Made In California (50th anniversary)
2020 = Feel Flows

Is there potential for another "career spanning" box set sometime between 2021-2023?

DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: March 18, 2020, 05:31:52 PM »

I'm also starting to wonder if there could be another major box set for the 60th anniversary.

2020 = Feel Flows

Is there potential for another "career spanning" box set sometime between 2021-2023?

i feel that the whole Feel Flows box set it's going to be a major thing spanning from 1969-1971-ish, well, who knows, the lack of news only makes us create a lot of suppositions
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 19, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »

2020 = Feel Flows

Yep - the much needed live retrospective.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 19, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »

2020 = Feel Flows

Good call. I remember dreaming that they would do this for their 33 1/3 rd anniversary, with 33 1/3rd tracks, - for some reason I felt the Oxnard remote recording of Mr Moto was a good fit for the 1/3rd!!

Seriously though, this would be so good.
The live tracks coming out during this copyright extension era have been an absolute revelation. Only wishing the recording of Rock and Roll Woman was released (proper release, not the version from Amercan Band video).
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: March 19, 2020, 06:18:46 PM »

2020 = Feel Flows

Good call. I remember dreaming that they would do this for their 33 1/3 rd anniversary, with 33 1/3rd tracks, - for some reason I felt the Oxnard remote recording of Mr Moto was a good fit for the 1/3rd!!

Seriously though, this would be so good.
The live tracks coming out during this copyright extension era have been an absolute revelation. Only wishing the recording of Rock and Roll Woman was released (proper release, not the version from Amercan Band video).
the version of Rock 'N' Roll Woman was a cutted/edited version, right? i feel that it's so short (last about minute and half)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 20, 2020, 12:14:13 AM »

According to this, about 1:28

http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=longlostsurfsongs3
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: March 20, 2020, 01:51:05 AM »

well, I only missed for 2 seconds XD
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 10, 2020, 05:48:15 AM »

So, who said march for this release? Do we even know if this project exists?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx