gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:54:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841694 times)
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 03, 2020, 05:49:55 AM »

The Coca Cola ad .... Cool Cool   ....Cola!
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2020, 04:33:44 PM »

I'd love to hear more material like Where Is She, Walkin', You're As Cool As Can Be, any Dennis songs, early versions/demos, etc. 
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2020, 02:56:37 AM »

Looking forward to any live material.

I really hope the 72-73 era will be covered as well some day. They were such a great live act back then.
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2020, 07:11:28 AM »

I really hope the 72-73 era will be covered as well some day. They were such a great live act back then.

Mark Linett has said that a box for In Concert is a possibiltiy

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2020, 10:46:39 AM »

That would be amazing Smiley
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 13, 2020, 03:53:00 AM »

Yes it would- I will buy all the live versions of Wild Honey, Marcella, and Jumpin' Jack Flash they will sell me.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »

Yes it would- I will buy all the live versions of Wild Honey, Marcella, and Jumpin' Jack Flash they will sell me.

I will gladly buy any & all live versions of anything by the BB from the early to mid 70s.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 15, 2020, 07:02:21 AM »

I hope it includes River Song, Here She Comes, and You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 17, 2020, 01:49:37 PM »

I hope we get some release date news about this soon!  Can't wait too long. 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: January 18, 2020, 11:27:23 AM »

That would be sweet.  That early 70's era had some considerably good live moments.  Having Blondie and Ricky in the band really helped give the band a little more street cred and edge.  Would love to hear more from that period.  👍

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 18, 2020, 04:24:56 PM »

I want a complete new mix of the Surfs Up LP. There are several spots where it sounds muddy.
The vocals on Long Promised Road are extremely low Quality. Also, the vocals on Disney Girls are really weird when played in headphones. Its almost like there on the right side more than the left.
Also, anything about Soulful Old Man Sunshine and Our Sweet Love
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2020, 04:47:51 PM »

I want a complete new mix of the Surfs Up LP. There are several spots where it sounds muddy.
The vocals on Long Promised Road are extremely low Quality. Also, the vocals on Disney Girls are really weird when played in headphones. Its almost like there on the right side more than the left.

If they could somehow digitally fix the "Shunshine" line I would be eternally grateful. Absolutely wonderful song but I can't ignore that flub.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2020, 03:58:27 PM »

Also, the vocals on Disney Girls are really weird when played in headphones. Its almost like there on the right side more than the left.

Years ago someone told me that Bruce recorded his vocal in stereo -- in that he had two microphones in front of him, each panned to one side...which might explain why it sounds weird.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 21, 2020, 08:44:57 PM »

Also, the vocals on Disney Girls are really weird when played in headphones. Its almost like there on the right side more than the left.

Years ago someone told me that Bruce recorded his vocal in stereo -- in that he had two microphones in front of him, each panned to one side...which might explain why it sounds weird.
And there is that note on the back of Sunflower explaining how every voice, every instrument was recorded in stereo - not just a bunch of monophonic signals panned left, center and right.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: February 08, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »

If they could somehow digitally fix the "Shunshine" line I would be eternally grateful. Absolutely wonderful song but I can't ignore that flub.

Didn't Carl ultimately veto putting that song on an album because of that flub?  Couldn't he just have just recorded a new vocal?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 08, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »

Didn't Carl ultimately veto putting that song on an album because of that flub?  Couldn't he just have just recorded a new vocal?
I believe the final mix was made in 1969, and 24 years later, in 1993, when they were working on the Good Vibrations set, they didn’t have access to the original tracks. It was eventually released in that state in 1998. But, 22 years later, maybe the tracks have been found. I haven’t heard anything about that, but one can dream. But yes, Carl didn’t want it on the GV set
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 08, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »

What's this? I've never heard of it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 08, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »

Remeber we thought this was coming out at Christmas 😂😂

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 08, 2020, 05:40:46 PM »

And there is that note on the back of Sunflower explaining how every voice, every instrument was recorded in stereo - not just a bunch of monophonic signals panned left, center and right.

*every* instrument and voice...maybe not so much, but certainly more of that than before.  A lot of the vocals were done with the AKG C24 stereo microphone which allows perfect XY diaphragm alignment every time.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 08, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »

What's this? I've never heard of it.

Pops up in discussion occasionally and mentioned by Al and I think Bruce in the Endless Harmony Documentary. I recall Al sings a bit as it’s based on the song Cool Cool Water and he says something like “I’d really like to hear it again as it’s so good”.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 09, 2020, 12:58:54 AM »

First and foremost, I'd love to hear more Brian stuff from that time, whatever it may be.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 09, 2020, 06:46:55 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:02:17 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: February 09, 2020, 07:26:20 AM »

Didn't Carl ultimately veto putting that song on an album because of that flub?  Couldn't he just have just recorded a new vocal?
I believe the final mix was made in 1969, and 24 years later, in 1993, when they were working on the Good Vibrations set, they didn’t have access to the original tracks. It was eventually released in that state in 1998. But, 22 years later, maybe the tracks have been found. I haven’t heard anything about that, but one can dream. But yes, Carl didn’t want it on the GV set

Not a final mix, just two (or three?) rough mixes that had to be spliced together. That's why there's some weird stereo experimentation going on with the Orban comb filter, it was never meant for any kind of release. Last I heard the multitrack with the Beach Boys' vocals is missing from the vaults - they have the backing track, plus some extra instrumental overdubs and the a capella intro, but a remix wouldn't be possible.

The official release is actually from a vintage edit of those two or three rough mix parts; the edit was done by Rick Henn's brother-in-law Dennis Dragon, using good old fashioned razor-and-splice techniques!
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 09, 2020, 08:16:19 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:02:10 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: February 09, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »

Didn't Carl ultimately veto putting that song on an album because of that flub?  Couldn't he just have just recorded a new vocal?

Not a final mix, just two (or three?) rough mixes that had to be spliced together. That's why there's some weird stereo experimentation going on with the Orban comb filter, it was never meant for any kind of release. Last I heard the multitrack with the Beach Boys' vocals is missing from the vaults - they have the backing track, plus some extra instrumental overdubs and the a capella intro, but a remix wouldn't be possible.

The official release is actually from a vintage edit of those two or three rough mix parts; the edit was done by Rick Henn's brother-in-law Dennis Dragon, using good old fashioned razor-and-splice techniques!

Wait, wasn't that done in the early 90s? I guess authentic tape splicing may as well count as vintage!

According to Rick Henn's recollections in ESQ, at some point after the "SOMS" sessions, he took his rough mixes over to DD's studio (Rick was married to DD's sister Kathy Dragon), and DD did the edits. He doesn't say exactly when, but I'm thinking this wasn't too long after the sessions, possibly within a few years at the most. My understanding is that they almost used that edited mix for the '93 box set (I actually heard it in the fall of '92, when David Leaf played it over the phone for Domenic Priore and me), and that this is what was ultimately used for the releases in '98 and 2013.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx