gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:33:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841735 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: December 31, 2019, 06:48:12 PM »

Speaking of the set...

What is one thing you guys are the most excited about hearing?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2019, 08:19:49 PM »

Everything from the sunflower era

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »

I have a feeling that we’re going to hear a song we’ve never heard before...that’s what excites me the most.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »

Speaking of the set...

Three things if I may... All of Sunflower vocals-only. Better quality versions of ‘It’s a New Day’ and ‘Sound of Free’.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: December 31, 2019, 09:56:08 PM »

Vocals only would be ace...I completely would be down with that. I’ve long held that Sunflower is the band’s most harmonically rich album, and hearing it presented as such would likely uncover a treasure trove of previously unheard backup parts.

I look forward to hearing more Brian in general.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »

I'd be down for literally anything from 1969-71 (or any outtakes from the Beach Boys, really), but what intrigues me the most is Fred Vail Country Album. Apparently the vocals are not strong and the album is incomplete, but it'd be a real pleasure for me to get to listen to one of the rare occasions where Brian attempted country music.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 01, 2020, 06:05:33 AM »

The question is why Brian chose to produce Fred! I mean-couldn’t he have reached out to an actual country singer! Sort of a perverse decision-just like his choosing jack reiley to sing tree a year later!
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 01, 2020, 07:02:53 AM »

Speaking of the set...

A HQ version of the original mix of Lady, the original version of Loop De Loop, alt lyrics Forever, possibly an alternate mix of This Whole World with the guitars more audible and the Eastern Airlines version, My Solution... The list goes on with all the stuff we know exists but hasn't been bootlegged.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 01, 2020, 07:32:49 AM »

A decent quality stereo version of "Sound Of Free" would be high on my wish list for the set along with "Settle Down" and "Behold the Night" from the Dennis and Darryl Dragon aborted lp. Also, Sunflower released with the quality and stereo quality that my old Statside import lp has... So far I haven't heard that quality on CD (hissy hissy)

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 01, 2020, 07:45:40 AM »

Also, Sunflower released with the quality and stereo quality that my old Statside import lp has...

That (i.e. the UK issue) was my first copy of the album, and I'm reminded now of an odd fact -- "Got To Know The Woman" and "Deirdre" are reversed in the track order on that version. I wonder what that was all about.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 01, 2020, 07:53:04 AM »

What I am most excited about hearing, if it exists...

Another mix/version of WIBNTLA
Some rocking live material
Any unreleased DW songs

Question for Mr. Desper:

If it has been discussed elsewhere I missed it, but I was curious if you have any memories of "I'm Going Your Way" that are worth sharing?

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: January 01, 2020, 08:07:03 AM »

Speaking of the set...

A HQ version of the original mix of Lady, the original version of Loop De Loop, alt lyrics Forever, possibly an alternate mix of This Whole World with the guitars more audible and the Eastern Airlines version, My Solution... The list goes on with all the stuff we know exists but hasn't been bootlegged.

Completely forgot about the airline version...good one

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 01, 2020, 08:15:04 AM »

I have a feeling that we’re going to hear a song we’ve never heard before...that’s what excites me the most.

I think there's going to be songs as in plural. The Bedroom Tapes article say that there were A LOT of uncatalogued sessions found around this time.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: January 01, 2020, 09:43:50 AM »

...I completely forgot about that, although I usually think of the period after the one covered in the set when I think of it.

JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 01, 2020, 12:30:02 PM »

The question is why Brian chose to produce Fred! I mean-couldn’t he have reached out to an actual country singer! Sort of a perverse decision-just like his choosing jack reiley to sing tree a year later!

No black-and-white answer to this question will ever appear. All we can do is theorize. My basic theory is that by this time the Beach Boys had become a closed-system. Brian, a few years back, had what seems to be a final (initial?) opportunity to work with (produce) outside singers-vocalists with actual talent. This was Redwood/Three Dog Night in 1967, and Brian of course did this on the sly... he was thwarted in this effort by the band/Family, and he also caved-in and allowed himself to be thwarted.  Brian's thing with the Beach Boys - his ability to work with them in the way he wanted to - was exhausted, or depleted by the end of the 1960s. (or at least mostly so).  He obviously still had an itch to produce or work in contexts outside the Beach Boys, but he knew (or felt, on some deeper level) that he couldn't do it; that it was never going to work, and he had to remain a "Beach Boy."

So according to this theory, the answer is: no, Brian couldn't have reached out to an actual, legitimate country singer.  One thing he could do, though,  is safely mess around with trusted, non-threatening insiders like Fred Vail, American Spring (members of the Beach Boy family) and, for instance, whatever he was doing with Rocky Pamplin in the late seventies. This is not serious stuff.  My guess about the "Fred tapes" is that they sound like American Spring's "Tennessee Waltz" but with Fred singing... Who knows
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: January 01, 2020, 10:38:22 PM »

According to the Peter Ames Carlin book, Brian’s reputation wasn’t the greatest in the industry at this point in time, so that may add to it.

Then again, the correct answer may be the simplest... he was just doing him a favor

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 02, 2020, 06:20:17 AM »

I would love an official release of My Solution! Although I'm not sure if it was recorded the same year or after the Surfs Up lp. I'm excited that Carnival is out! Also Out In the Country, another mix of 4th of July.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: January 02, 2020, 07:14:18 AM »

No black-and-white answer to this question will ever appear. All we can do is theorize. My basic theory is that by this time the Beach Boys had become a closed-system. Brian, a few years back, had what seems to be a final (initial?) opportunity to work with (produce) outside singers-vocalists with actual talent. This was Redwood/Three Dog Night in 1967, and Brian of course did this on the sly... he was thwarted in this effort by the band/Family, and he also caved-in and allowed himself to be thwarted.  Brian's thing with the Beach Boys - his ability to work with them in the way he wanted to - was exhausted, or depleted by the end of the 1960s. (or at least mostly so).  He obviously still had an itch to produce or work in contexts outside the Beach Boys, but he knew (or felt, on some deeper level) that he couldn't do it; that it was never going to work, and he had to remain a "Beach Boy."

So according to this theory, the answer is: no, Brian couldn't have reached out to an actual, legitimate country singer.  One thing he could do, though,  is safely mess around with trusted, non-threatening insiders like Fred Vail, American Spring (members of the Beach Boy family) and, for instance, whatever he was doing with Rocky Pamplin in the late seventies. This is not serious stuff.  My guess about the "Fred tapes" is that they sound like American Spring's "Tennessee Waltz" but with Fred singing... Who knows

Brian clearly had a penchant for working with artists/projects seemingly on a lark from time to time. The above theories are interesting to chew on.

There's also the possibility, by 1970 or so, that Brian may have lacked the self-confidence as a producer to produce a *major* artist even if one had materialized for him to work with.

In between "major" and the fluke insider examples like Fred Vail would be something like those sessions during this time with Don Goldberg that only materialized several years back. He was an unknown, but was also not previously an "insider" in the organization. The band couldn't have been too threatened by Brian working with Goldberg; Goldberg brought two of his own songs (one of which Mike seemingly enthusiastically tackled himself), and did a version of a BB song ("Out in the Country") that was ultimately so unmemorable to the Beach Boys that nobody could remember years later who even wrote the thing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: January 02, 2020, 07:26:25 AM »

Wait, what's this about an "airline" version of "This Whole World"Huh How have I not heard it??

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: January 02, 2020, 08:41:05 AM »

Wait, what's this about an "airline" version of "This Whole World"Huh How have I not heard it??

A version of the song was recorded on 3/12/71 for an Eastern Airlines commercial.  I don't think it's ever been booted.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2020, 08:45:51 AM »

Speaking of the set...

I'm not sure if there are any, but session tracks for 'A Day In The Life Of A Tree' would be incredible - and a backing track, and a vocals only (especially of that outro).

The extended version of WIBNTLA. Brian's piano demo of 'Til I Die' should be heard by everybody - it's just such a chill piano track...also, any early demo versions with vocals would be awesome (if they exist). I can't even imagine all the goodies we'll get with this!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 02, 2020, 03:26:51 PM »

Where is the tambourine in the second verse of I'm Going Your Way that I've heard in booted versions? Also is this version a bit slower than the booted version (I'm assuming that this one is the tape at the correct speed). 
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 03, 2020, 03:09:44 AM »

looking forward to a possible  version of Tree with a Dennis lead vocal
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 03, 2020, 04:29:00 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:03:15 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate