gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:30:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841804 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: December 27, 2019, 06:17:34 AM »

Here are direct YouTube links for those not otherwise inclined to trawl the web:

I'm Going Your Way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZqahnNaVM

Slip on Through - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S0D-9ri9pw

Carnival - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUp1LtH3TU

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 27, 2019, 06:44:36 AM »

Thanks for posting the links, HeyJude. This definitely whets the appetite for the full box set.

The new tracks are now available on Amazon and iTunes.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 27, 2019, 06:49:46 AM »

What an interesting song.  Just my opinion, but I think if they had really worked on this and come up with a catchy guitar riff it could have had some staying power.  Imagine an album called California Slide.  What a cool name.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: December 27, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »

Available on Google Play for download:  https://play.google.com/store/music/album/The_Beach_Boys_The_Beach_Boys_1969_I_m_Going_Your?id=Begt25kjfztetxcelwytlbrqgqq

I like "I'm Going Your Way" (never heard it before).  It's quite remarkable just how much content the band recorded that never made it officially to any of their albums.  Although a good chunk of their unreleased content is either bizarre to downright awful, some of it such as songs like "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", and "Barnyard Blues" are quite enjoyable. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: December 27, 2019, 07:31:51 AM »

Available on Google Play for download:  https://play.google.com/store/music/album/The_Beach_Boys_The_Beach_Boys_1969_I_m_Going_Your?id=Begt25kjfztetxcelwytlbrqgqq

I like "I'm Going Your Way" (never heard it before).  It's quite remarkable just how much content the band recorded that never made it officially to any of their albums.  Although a good chunk of their unreleased content is either bizarre to downright awful, some of it such as songs like "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", and "Barnyard Blues" are quite enjoyable. 

When "I'm Going Your Way" was first booted, I couldn't understand why it was never released.  Perhaps the Manson connection.  This "new" version has me scratching my head even more.  It  would have fit nicely on the "Once Upon A Time in LA" soundtrack.  Kudos to Mark & Alan!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2019, 08:44:57 AM »

When "I'm Going Your Way" was first booted, I couldn't understand why it was never released.  Perhaps the Manson connection.  This "new" version has me scratching my head even more.  It  would have fit nicely on the "Once Upon A Time in LA" soundtrack.  Kudos to Mark & Alan!

Was "I'm Going Your Way" allegedly another Manson cowrite? What's the supposed connection?
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »

I know nothing about the origins of the song, but it certainly 'sounds' kind of Manson-ish. The lyrics have that same kind of creepy double-entendre-ish edge as Never Learn Not To Love. Which isn't to say that I dislike them... just that there's some menace to them, and they are a pretty shocking departure from what the group was releasing the previous year.

The overall sound is great. In some ways it sounds like a prototype for Slip On Through.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: December 27, 2019, 10:18:24 AM »

Hal: "One...Two..."
Dennis: "Pick up those sticks!"
Hal: "One...Two...Three", chop-chop-chop (double-time)

Classic!  Smiley

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: December 27, 2019, 10:40:18 AM »

Dig the Memphis-style guitars on this alternate "Slip On Through" and the country-ish psych guitars on "I'm Going Your Way". According to track sheet notations, these were (Mike) Deasy and Eddie (Carter). These two tracks were recorded at the same session at Gold Star, July '69.

On "Carnival", the guys sang each of their vocal parts separately, then doubled them (except for the fifth part) - a rare modus operandi for them, and probably the first time they ever did this. This was recorded on 16-track, so the final tape has four parts doubled and a single fifth part, using a total of 9 tracks for vocals (I think all of them except Bruce were involved with the recording). You can really hear the individual parts much better on this new remix than on the original bootlegged mix.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »

So do we know when the full box set is being released?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 27, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »

Some tracks Murry Wilson produced for an obscure vocal group nobody even remembers the names of got more promotion than new Beach Boys music. Mind boggling.

I complete agree. Whether or not this is a copyright extension dump, it could have been marketed as a teaser single for an upcoming set (or even simply marketing it as "Hey! Look what we just found in the vaults!"). Just dumping it and completely ignoring it makes it seem like the band has zero faith in this kind of material. Whereas the Murry Wilson tracks - obviously someone thought they had value because they spent some time spreading the word.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, because I am beyond digging this 'I'm Going Your Way' track (side note, completely agree with the poster who said this song would fit perfectly on the 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' soundtrack)...but why doesn't this band do any marketing for this stuff?? Social media marketing is about as simple as it gets. As I've said before: you never know what little marketing gimmicks will have a huge impact in the future. It's like the butterfly effect, even some minuscule post on Twitter marketing this could create some buzz in the right corner of the world, and create more sales for an upcoming set.

And, off topic, back to my comment about 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' - I was surprised Tarantino didn't put 'Never Learn Not To Love' in the movie somewhere! It seemed obvious that it would've been a cool Easter egg to place in the movie.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 27, 2019, 01:25:42 PM »

Some tracks Murry Wilson produced for an obscure vocal group nobody even remembers the names of got more promotion than new Beach Boys music. Mind boggling.

I complete agree. Whether or not this is a copyright extension dump, it could have been marketed as a teaser single for an upcoming set (or even simply marketing it as "Hey! Look what we just found in the vaults!"). Just dumping it and completely ignoring it makes it seem like the band has zero faith in this kind of material. Whereas the Murry Wilson tracks - obviously someone thought they had value because they spent some time spreading the word.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, because I am beyond digging this 'I'm Going Your Way' track (side note, completely agree with the poster who said this song would fit perfectly on the 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' soundtrack)...but why doesn't this band do any marketing for this stuff?? Social media marketing is about as simple as it gets. As I've said before: you never know what little marketing gimmicks will have a huge impact in the future. It's like the butterfly effect, even some minuscule post on Twitter marketing this could create some buzz in the right corner of the world, and create more sales for an upcoming set.

And, off topic, back to my comment about 'Once Upon A Time in Hollywood' - I was surprised Tarantino didn't put 'Never Learn Not To Love' in the movie somewhere! It seemed obvious that it would've been a cool Easter egg to place in the movie.

Is there really a band at this point? Or do the two factions just occasionally "make nice" when there is some screamingly obvious reason to do so? Could it be the case that the highly lauded Sunflower-Surf's Up period--colloquially understood as 1970-71 due to the release dates of the LPs--is one of the few things that might galvanize them to work together again on a project? It could be that Mark and Alan decided to use that fact to push for something much more elaborate that would get a fuller range of marketing efforts because "the band" got behind the idea sufficiently to actively participate in its creation.

There's really only one track here that's worth getting excited about ("Going Your Way") and even it's been around in a similar bootlegged form for some time. ("Slip On Through" deserves a full chronology--and let me also suggest that any compilation of this period should include a new version of Steve Desper's book.) It seems apparent that any of the material from 1969 that wound up on Sunflower will likely be included in the FEEL FLOWS comp without copyright penalty, as these songs were already copyrighted upon original release.

Last year we received an incredible, unexpected treasure trove of material--frankly, you are sounding a tad ungrateful by moaning about what is probably just a lull in the process.

As for QT, I don't think he and his film posse are really Beach Boys fans. I'm not guessing that those in that orbit are deep into the deep cuts and vault material of the band; it made more sense, I suspect, to have Sharon Tate stick up for Paul Revere and the Raiders (the Melcher connection) than drag in a group that was off the charts in '69. Once the decision was made to just tease the audience with a ten-second cameo of Manson and pivot all the action to the Spahn Ranch, there's really no room for a Dennis-Charlie connection.

That said, "I'm Going Your Way" is pretty perfect for Cliff's ongoing tease with the Manson chick--but I just don't get the impression his taste (or the taste of those around him) really swings that way.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 27, 2019, 02:10:13 PM »

Is there really a band at this point? Or do the two factions just occasionally "make nice" when there is some screamingly obvious reason to do so? Could it be the case that the highly lauded Sunflower-Surf's Up period--colloquially understood as 1970-71 due to the release dates of the LPs--is one of the few things that might galvanize them to work together again on a project? It could be that Mark and Alan decided to use that fact to push for something much more elaborate that would get a fuller range of marketing efforts because "the band" got behind the idea sufficiently to actively participate in its creation.

By "band" I meant whatever the entity is that markets the band itself. I don't mean that Mike, Al, Brian, and Bruce need to meet and discuss sending out a tweet about a new EP dropping.

There's really only one track here that's worth getting excited about ("Going Your Way") and even it's been around in a similar bootlegged form for some time. ("Slip On Through" deserves a full chronology--and let me also suggest that any compilation of this period should include a new version of Steve Desper's book.) It seems apparent that any of the material from 1969 that wound up on Sunflower will likely be included in the FEEL FLOWS comp without copyright penalty, as these songs were already copyrighted upon original release.

Going back to SaltyMarshmellows point: were any of the Murry Wilson tracks anything to get excited about? Not especially. And especially considering no one outside of us knows who the heck Murry Wilson is. But someone marketing that had enough sense to raise awareness just a little and now some people will probably buy those songs that otherwise would've have heard about it. This is solely my point: the smallest marketing could help bolster some buzz about this. And again I'll say, with the butterfly effect you never know how small of a post could lead to bigger sales. So while WE know and have heard this song before due to bootlegs, your average fan on Twitter more than likely hasn't, and thus just one little tweet could help bring some great music to ears that haven't heard it before.

Last year we received an incredible, unexpected treasure trove of material--frankly, you are sounding a tad ungrateful by moaning about what is probably just a lull in the process.

Apologies that my opinion sounds like moaning. I even specifically stated that "I don't mean to sound ungrateful" - and quite frankly, looking back on my post, I don't even see how shedding my opinion about social media marketing this great music makes me sound ungrateful to all the great things we have been given in the past few years. In fact I'm overjoyed by this music which is why I don't get why it doesn't get pushed even slightly with a Twitter or Facebook post.

As for QT, I don't think he and his film posse are really Beach Boys fans. I'm not guessing that those in that orbit are deep into the deep cuts and vault material of the band; it made more sense, I suspect, to have Sharon Tate stick up for Paul Revere and the Raiders (the Melcher connection) than drag in a group that was off the charts in '69. Once the decision was made to just tease the audience with a ten-second cameo of Manson and pivot all the action to the Spahn Ranch, there's really no room for a Dennis-Charlie connection.

That said, "I'm Going Your Way" is pretty perfect for Cliff's ongoing tease with the Manson chick--but I just don't get the impression his taste (or the taste of those around him) really swings that way.

I mean, Dennis' name is specifically stated in the movie - so the Dennis-Charlie connection is already there in the movie itself. And there are some pretty deep cuts from lesser-known bands on that soundtrack - so the idea of placing a Beach Boys-Manson track doesn't sound like it would be too out-of-the-norm for the movie. Also, you don't have to pillage the vaults to hear the Manson-Dennis song that was on a studio album...and given how much research was done for this film I'd find it hard to believe that Tarantino wasn't aware or made aware of the song. Just my opinion.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »

Is this 1969 EP technically the 1st standalone released EP by The Beach Boys since "4 By The Beach Boys" in 1964?

(Not really counting "Mt. Fairway & Vernon" as an EP since it wasn't a standalone release).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:16:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 27, 2019, 04:22:49 PM »

While the lack of marketing is weird, all I can say is that I'm seriously overjoyed at any/all archival releases by this band, and I thank Alan and Mark for their hard work, and for the BBs band members for allowing this stuff to be released.

If I were to guess - Capitol Records potentially being stingy aside - I'd assume that since the material on these copyright sets varies wildly both in terms of quality, completeness, etc, that perhaps some elements of the band (the people who have to sign off on what gets released) might be a bit ambivalent about some material getting released and heavily promoted.

Maybe a compromise was reached to put stuff out, but have it just put it out there very quietly for the hardcore fans (who will discover it even if there's not a lot or any Capitol label promotion) in order for there to decrease the possibility of anyone (who could veto stuff) vetoing the specific methods of promotion, and/or decreasing the possibility of vetoing which tracks by which members (living or deceased) get highlighted via promotion more than others.  Maybe it was just easier for a bunch of guys pushing 80 (some with strong opinions) and estates to just put stuff out in more of autopilot mode, thus decreasing boardroom meetings or internal bickering that might have had to otherwise occur if more promo was going to be a thing.

Basically I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of promo might on some level have to do with band politics. If that's the case, then I'm just glad we're getting what we're getting, and I'm VERY thankful.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:28:14 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: December 27, 2019, 04:32:43 PM »

Might this set include Holland as well?

If it really is 6(?) discs, I think maybe. If this includes all of the Surf’s Up album sessions, then it presumably will serve as the copyright extension release for 1971 ... which would also potentially include some of the So Tough sessions. And if you’re including those, it could be an elaborate box for the “Surf’s Up Era”. We’ll see I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:33:46 PM by DonnyL » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 27, 2019, 04:56:34 PM »

While the lack of marketing is weird, all I can say is that I'm seriously overjoyed at any/all archival releases by this band, and I thank Alan and Mark for their hard work, and for the BBs band members for allowing this stuff to be released.

If I were to guess - Capitol Records potentially being stingy aside - I'd assume that since the material on these copyright sets varies wildly both in terms of quality, completeness, etc, that perhaps some elements of the band (the people who have to sign off on what gets released) might be a bit ambivalent about some material getting released and heavily promoted.

Maybe a compromise was reached to put stuff out, but have it just put it out there very quietly for the hardcore fans (who will discover it even if there's not a lot or any Capitol label promotion) in order for there to decrease the possibility of anyone (who could veto stuff) vetoing the specific methods of promotion, and/or decreasing the possibility of vetoing which tracks by which members (living or deceased) get highlighted via promotion more than others.  Maybe it was just easier for a bunch of guys pushing 80 (some with strong opinions) and estates to just put stuff out in more of autopilot mode, thus decreasing boardroom meetings or internal bickering that might have had to otherwise occur if more promo was going to be a thing.

Basically I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of promo might on some level have to do with band politics. If that's the case, then I'm just glad we're getting what we're getting, and I'm VERY thankful.

Yeah I'm absolutely thankful, and again that 'I'm Going Your Way' track is friggin awesome (and it sounds so crisp!). I'd hate to see band politics get in the way of promotion, but I wouldn't doubt that would happen given this is The Beach Boys!

I'm sure Feel Flows will get some promotion though...especially because it's a physical set.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 27, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »

Is this 1969 EP technically the 1st standalone released EP by The Beach Boys since "4 By The Beach Boys" in 1964?

(Not really counting "Mt. Fairway & Vernon" as an EP since it wasn't a standalone release).

There's that weird "The Beach Boys Love Songs" EP from 2006. It shows up on iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, etc.
https://www.thebeachboys.com/music/beach-boys-love-songs

There were also EPs in other regions. Like that cool 1977 UK EP with Mona/Rock And Roll Music/Sail On Sailor/Marcella.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:38:43 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 27, 2019, 07:12:24 PM »

I mean, Dennis' name is specifically stated in the movie - so the Dennis-Charlie connection is already there in the movie itself. And there are some pretty deep cuts from lesser-known bands on that soundtrack - so the idea of placing a Beach Boys-Manson track doesn't sound like it would be too out-of-the-norm for the movie. Also, you don't have to pillage the vaults to hear the Manson-Dennis song that was on a studio album...and given how much research was done for this film I'd find it hard to believe that Tarantino wasn't aware or made aware of the song. Just my opinion.

Dennis' name is stated exactly once, and--as noted--Manson's actual presence is limited to a ten-second cameo. I'm sure QT knows about "Never Learn." But it's clear from the film--which is, after all, about the film business, with music as just an overlay--that he decided against that narrative thread. The fact that he has other deep cuts in there from lesser-known groups is part of his particular wonkiness--a desire to demonstrate some "higher" form of hip cred that is part of his moviemaking mystique. Apparently from where he sits the BBs were too well-known and not "hip" enough to be in that particular discussion even though they actually had the connection with Manson.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 27, 2019, 08:00:24 PM »

Dig the Memphis-style guitars on this alternate "Slip On Through" and the country-ish psych guitars on "I'm Going Your Way". According to track sheet notations, these were (Mike) Deasy and Eddie (Carter). These two tracks were recorded at the same session at Gold Star, July '69.

On "Carnival", the guys sang each of their vocal parts separately, then doubled them (except for the fifth part) - a rare modus operandi for them, and probably the first time they ever did this. This was recorded on 16-track, so the final tape has four parts doubled and a single fifth part, using a total of 9 tracks for vocals (I think all of them except Bruce were involved with the recording). You can really hear the individual parts much better on this new remix than on the original bootlegged mix.

Hey c-man, I understand if you don't want to (or can't), but who are the instrumentalists and vocalists on "I'm Going Your Way" and "Carnival"?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 27, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »

Dennis' name is stated exactly once, and--as noted--Manson's actual presence is limited to a ten-second cameo. I'm sure QT knows about "Never Learn." But it's clear from the film--which is, after all, about the film business, with music as just an overlay--that he decided against that narrative thread. The fact that he has other deep cuts in there from lesser-known groups is part of his particular wonkiness--a desire to demonstrate some "higher" form of hip cred that is part of his moviemaking mystique. Apparently from where he sits the BBs were too well-known and not "hip" enough to be in that particular discussion even though they actually had the connection with Manson.

As a Beach Boys fan, without getting into the nuts and bolts of QT's reasoning for adding supposed not-too-well-known bands who were also hip to the soundtrack, I'm just saying I would've liked to have heard NLNTL in the movie. Considering the song doesn't even sound like the stereotypical Beach Boys song your average American knows and loves, I think it would've been a cool and subtle Easter egg for people to find on their own. That is all.

*edit: I do want to add that I did say I was surprised that Tarantino didn't put that song in the movie, so thanks for the explanation as to why he probably didn't.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:08:45 PM by rab2591 » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 27, 2019, 09:51:14 PM »

As a Beach Boys fan, without getting into the nuts and bolts of QT's reasoning for adding supposed not-too-well-known bands who were also hip to the soundtrack, I'm just saying I would've liked to have heard NLNTL in the movie. Considering the song doesn't even sound like the stereotypical Beach Boys song your average American knows and loves, I think it would've been a cool and subtle Easter egg for people to find on their own. That is all.

*edit: I do want to add that I did say I was surprised that Tarantino didn't put that song in the movie, so thanks for the explanation as to why he probably didn't.

I would also have loved to have heard NLNTL within that film, or just in general for that song to get more ears on it - not for the sake of the unfortunate Manson connection - but because it's one of Dennis's very best and most fully realized productions with the band. It just so happens that Denny did a completely phenomenal job with that song which had very creepy origins.

And how unfortunate it is of course for such a great production, and such a great song that Denny nursed out of that crude demo of Charlie's, to suffer having been largely ignored by the band for 50 years due to its origins. If the final result had just been a mediocre or average BBs song, it wouldn't be as unfortunate, but it just so happens that clearly Dennis put a crap ton of effort into that song, and it turned out exceptionally and unusually great as far as I'm concerned.

If that song had no such connection, I think people would for years have been talking about the final result being an early towering work of artistry from Dennis Wilson, where he really started to truly flower as an artist. But instead it has a stigma for life, understandably. We've had the instrumental "be with me" version officially released for many years now, and I'm convinced this song didn't get a similar treatment for all this time due to one reason and one reason only.

But I completely understand why the band would be hesitant to get that song more into the world. We're very lucky to have those two alternate versions of it from The last copyright extension release, I'm quite shocked that those were released but I'm very grateful they were. I feel like somebody must have convinced them that it was worth it to put those versions out purely for historical purposes and to make fans happy, and I'm so so glad that they agreed to it. Call me a weirdo, but those two alternate versions are among my favorite things to listen to in the entire catalog these days.

But somehow I don't see a scenario where that song will ever get licensed in a major film. I don't think the band or powers that be would allow it. I think the band wants to distance itself from Manson, although of course Mike's book might suggest otherwise. But as a unified group with various voting members, I don't think that would fly for the song to be used in a movie such as this one. Just my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:55:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: December 27, 2019, 10:18:14 PM »

I’m loving this!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
sensiblechuckle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 27, 2019, 10:45:12 PM »

To be fair, there was much more of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood cut out, for example, this is an outtake with Manson specifically regarding 20/20 and NLNTL;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmg1J62Ut_k

With that out of the way, I'm really digging this new take of I'm Going Your Way moreso than the oft booted version, although I hear some of the bootleg still in there (towards the end), so I'm kind of curious to know what the process of editing this was, because it sounds to me it was very much like how Alan and Mark pieced together Walkin' from last year into a close to complete song.

Truth be told, and I guess we were spoiled with the last few years of Beach Boys outtakes and studio content, but I really liked this release, even though it's so little. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: December 27, 2019, 11:05:59 PM »

Hey c-man, I understand if you don't want to (or can't), but who are the instrumentalists and vocalists on "I'm Going Your Way" and "Carnival"?

All I can tell you about "I'm Going Your Way" so far is that those are the two guitarists, and that Hal Blaine is the drummer, and Dennis is obviously the only vocalist. The voice from the control room at the end of the bootlegged rough mix sounds like Bruce, so he was apparently involved in the production. As for "Carnival", it appears to have been recorded at the same session as "I Just Got My Pay", for which the Boys themselves played the instruments. Dennis can be heard counting it off on the new mix, and I hear Brian, Al, and Mike, with Carl and Dennis likely in there too. Doesn't seem like Bruce sings on that, unless someone else hears him.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx