gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:37:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841453 times)
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2019, 11:16:12 PM »

Presumably though a point comes where a judge has to rule that something is uncopyrightable by virtue of not being music.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 11:16:38 PM by William Bowe » Logged
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2019, 02:13:48 AM »

IIRC, the copyright motivation actually resulted from a misunderstanding of the law, which is why most artists (including the Beatles!) did them for a year or two and then stopped. The BBs continued because of fan interest. Seems like fans weren’t interested enough in last year’s for them to continue.

Not according to Mark Linett last year:

"It has a lot to do with 50-year copyright term limit in the U.K. and the E.U. for sound recordings. Back in 2013, some copyright tribunal amended that, and added 20 years to the term. But there was a sort of use-it-or-lose-it provision, which basically said unreleased recordings have to be officially released within 50 years of creation in order to get copyright protection. And I think they did this because in 2012, the first Beatles recordings were starting to fall into the public domain. It happened with the Beach Boys too — the Surfin’ Safari album in that territory is now public domain, because the registration wasn’t retroactive."

But The Beatles and Beach Boys stuff was released

I see these things as copyrighting things like sessions or alternate takes
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2019, 02:34:43 AM »

Nothing as of this morning. I have a feeling it'll be out next Friday with the Murray EP.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2019, 02:50:53 AM »

Murry EP?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2019, 02:58:56 AM »

Presumably though a point comes where a judge has to rule that something is uncopyrightable by virtue of not being music.
Exactly. Is "Commonwealth" a "song", or just an impromptu half mumbled piss take of the politics of the day? But then again, it can never hurt to copyright something just for the simple reason that it exists, right?

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2019, 03:07:08 AM »

Murry EP?
This one: https://omnivorerecordings.com/product-tag/murry-wilson/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »

While it’s certainly up in the air as far as whether a digital download release will occur in the next 18 days, all chatter and indications seem to suggest a Sunflower/Surf’s Up set of some sort is in the works. It may well be that we only see a physical release, which obviously at this stage wouldn’t be taking place until a few months into the new year.

But what I’m pretty sure of is that the digital copyright extension releases have not been canceled due to “lack of fan interest” or anything of that nature. The digital releases have less overhead and are easier (and often cheaper) for fans to buy, and there are indications a *physical* boxed set is coming at some point, which would suggest a hope on the part of Capitol and/or BRI that there will be *increased* interest in this next release rather than diminished interest.

Going back to last year when the cache of ’68 live shows was released, it was established that BRI has essentially nothing in the vaults as far as live ’69 soundboard/multitrack recordings. So we already knew we weren’t getting the type of multi-tiered digital release that we got for 1968.

The only reason a digital release would need to happen by the end of 2019 is if there still is an assumption that as-yet-unreleased songs need to be protected, *and* there are unreleased song titles recorded in 1969 that are firmly established as hitting 50 years before the end of 2019 (not sure what happens when a song was recorded across 1969 and 1970 for instance). I’d still guess there are a few things recorded in 1969 that are still unreleased. I believe there were ’69 sessions for “I’m Going Your Way”, and some other odds and ends (“Over the Waves”, etc.). It’s true that most ’69 material is either already protected by having come out on “Sunflower”, or other archival releases in the past. “Soulful Old Man Sunshine”, “Loop de Loop”, “Where is She”, and so on, have already been covered.

Who knows. Maybe they want to put the remaining ’69 outtakes on a physical boxed set, and don’t want to make fans double dip by buying a digital download in December and then the physical set. Perhaps BRI will do some weird dump online only onto streaming services of just ’69 odds and ends?

I’m not too concerned by the timing of this stuff. The main concern is whether a BB release can still get bogged down in politics. I mean, *of course* it can and probably usually does. But it seems like in the last 10-20 years, it has mostly been small issues with track selection rather than some huge set being prepped only for a band member to try to cancel the whole thing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2019, 08:38:31 AM »

Exactly. Is "Commonwealth" a "song", or just an impromptu half mumbled piss take of the politics of the day? But then again, it can never hurt to copyright something just for the simple reason that it exists, right?

In the case of the "Let It Be" sessions, they did indeed copyright every "song" that appeared in the film. So they copyrighted "Suzy's Parlour" (credited to all four), the off-the-cuff "Jazz Piano Song" (credited to Paul and Ringo), and even Paul's opening piano piece as "Paul's Piano Piece" even though it's Paul trying to sort of riff on Barber's "Adagio for Strings."

All that "Commonwealth/Enoch Powell" jam session stuff certainly is formed enough with enough chord changes and lyrics that it could be copyrighted (and likely will if it's released next year with whatever they're putting out to go along with the Peter Jackson film thing).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2019, 10:01:51 AM »

There wasn't a SMiLE copyright (digital only) release in 2016 or 2017 but we got a huge 5 CD box packed to the 80 minute mark on each disc a few years prior which sounds like what they are planning to do with Feel Flows.  My only gripe with that was hearing of a 6th disc worth of music being dropped from the box (could have been internet rumors).  They could have done a digital release with that extra SMiLE material plus a stereo mix of the album.  But next Friday could still be the day for some 1969 stuff.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »

There wasn't a SMiLE copyright (digital only) release in 2016 or 2017 but we got a huge 5 CD box packed to the 80 minute mark on each disc a few years prior which sounds like what they are planning to do with Feel Flows.  My only gripe with that was hearing of a 6th disc worth of music being dropped from the box (could have been internet rumors).  They could have done a digital release with that extra SMiLE material plus a stereo mix of the album.  But next Friday could still be the day for some 1969 stuff.

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to think there will be some sort of supplemental Smile Sessions release in the future.  Mark and Alan did a wonderful job on the 2011 box, and they and Capitol undoubtedly intended it to be the definitive treatment of its subject.   And yet, I, probably like many Smile fans, have never really shed the idea that there's still some unreleased Smile something out there that'd be worth hearing.   And, there's also the lingering fantasy that audio reels from the David Oppenheim film will finally turn up and reveal some missing material.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »

One thing that I really hope they do is get Stephen Desper involved in doing mastering of the full Sunflower and Surf's Up albums as part of this set. I know we all have these albums, but if we can get versions that sound as good as those study videos Mr Desper did, I'd gladly buy them again.

Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2019, 12:37:47 PM »

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to think there will be some sort of supplemental Smile Sessions release in the future.  Mark and Alan did a wonderful job on the 2011 box, and they and Capitol undoubtedly intended it to be the definitive treatment of its subject.   And yet, I, probably like many Smile fans, have never really shed the idea that there's still some unreleased Smile something out there that'd be worth hearing.   And, there's also the lingering fantasy that audio reels from the David Oppenheim film will finally turn up and reveal some missing material.

Whatever happened to the Durrie Parks acetates on eBay? Been meaning to make a topic on it ..
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »

Reddit guy with the info has adjusted post to say NEXT Friday (December 20th) so you can stop checking now lol.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2019, 03:19:38 PM »

The "Feel Flow" set and "On Tour: 1969" are now on Spotify...

it's what I would say if they were on Spotify.  Grin

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2019, 06:28:24 PM »

Got me

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2019, 06:29:29 PM »

Not I. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2019, 08:03:02 PM »

Knowing "On Tour: 1969" is very unlikely to happen, it didn't get me.

I wish that post were real though....
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2019, 03:06:40 AM »

The "Feel Flow" set and "On Tour: 1969" are now on Spotify...

it's what I would say if they were on Spotify.  Grin

https://youtu.be/mDEtCeeSp2k
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2019, 07:44:10 AM »

Whatever happened to the Durrie Parks acetates on eBay? Been meaning to make a topic on it ..

They were purchased by a private collector, and are basically unheard other than a tantalizing snippet at the very, very tail end of Wake the World Friends set.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2019, 09:08:39 AM »

Reddit guy with the info has adjusted post to say NEXT Friday (December 20th) so you can stop checking now lol.

He actually adjusted the post to say "fingers crossed" for the 20th so it's still just speculation at this point.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2019, 02:40:25 PM »

He actually adjusted the post to say "fingers crossed" for the 20th so it's still just speculation at this point.

It's almost like he's making this stuff up 
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2019, 05:33:24 PM »

On EH, SaltyMarshmallow said:

Some better info than just guesses suggests the 27th is more likely for something. Soundscan entries for I'm Going Your Way and Carnival have appeared with that date.

http://endlessharmony.boards.net/post/16933/thread
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »

It's almost like he's making this stuff up 
Nobody is making stuff up. It's just speculation based on a few non-firsthand info posted on forums, to begin with.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 14, 2019, 07:19:22 PM »

So far the speculation has been ridiculously wrong...so...why not wait for official word instead of relying on the guessing and speculation and whatever is posted on other forums?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »

So far the speculation has been ridiculously wrong...so...why not wait for official word instead of relying on the guessing and speculation and whatever is posted on other forums?
Chances are that there wouldn't be any "official word" (if you mean official announcement by that) on this year's copyright set before its actual release.
Last year, (if I recall correctly) even Alan Boyd and Mark Linett had no idea about the release date until "Wake the World" and "I Can Hear Music" sets were released.

There would definitely be official promotion if a box set were to happen, though.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 07:55:08 PM by Wata » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx