gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
659368 Posts in 26414 Topics by 3755 Members - Latest Member: Joanne Figueroa July 04, 2020, 03:07:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 71916 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 17, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »

Um, so this has been out there under everyone's noses for over 6 months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3b4NbKvv8

At the time of this video (December), one track of Fred's with vocals was being considered for the boxset, so we might see that on the tracklist. It sounds shockingly good.

Don't know how to take Fred's "this one happened to survive" comment (he previously said he still had all of the tapes), but it's looking like whatever's there has been digitally transferred and will probably make it out in some form before the end of the year.

Not a country fan but that was pretty cool to hear.

By the way, it finally hit me who Fred reminds me off...the late Richard Harrison aka the Old Man from Pawn Stars.  LOL
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 17, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »

Fred always reminded me of Ned Beatty
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:20:36 PM by mtaber » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 17, 2020, 05:26:55 PM »

can't believe I missed Fred's video from last Dec! so cool to finally hear something from the mythical Brian Wilson "country album"

definitely Buddy Emmons playing steel on this track. Jay Dee Maness is a steel legend too, also on the sessions.
sure hope all the songs get to see the light of day!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:27:59 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 18, 2020, 02:06:09 AM »

BTW for everyone who's interested in this, here is Johnny Horton's original "All for the love of a girl":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyTTpIVMaP0

Who sang backgrounds on Fred's recording? At first I thought it might've been the Honeys, but now I'm not so sure. I'd need to listen with better speakers than I have right now.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 18, 2020, 02:30:15 AM »

Imagine Brian Wilson taking the country music market by storm in 1970, haha!

This sounds indeed pretty good. Nothing earth-shattering but well done and the lead vocals are much better than expected. Reminds me of Spring in a way!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: June 18, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »

BTW for everyone who's interested in this, here is Johnny Horton's original "All for the love of a girl":

Who sang backgrounds on Fred's recording? At first I thought it might've been the Honeys, but now I'm not so sure. I'd need to listen with better speakers than I have right now.
Believe it or not, the female backing vocalist on the finished tracks was none other than a young Linda Rondstadt!

Also, I've heard from a reputable source that as of a couple days ago, the boxset has unfortunately been given yet another delay. I'd been hoping it'd be coming out in August in celebration of Sunflower's 50th, but if I had to guess, an October-November release date for the holiday season seems more likely. I know Howie can only tell us so much, but I would love to know what's been causing so much difficulty in the production, promotion, and ultimate release of this set!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 18, 2020, 11:38:59 AM »

Believe it or not, the female backing vocalist on the finished tracks was none other than a young Linda Rondstadt!

Whoa?! Really? Great! And what a nice gesture from Brian to Fred Vail, to record an album for him with such top notch musicians

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx