gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:57:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 839063 times)
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4050 on: August 31, 2021, 07:02:08 AM »

Greetings all,
While waiting on my sets to arrive, I'm hoping that someone can confirm or deny claims that these sets contain different mixes between them.
I read somewhere back in June that a specific mix of this or that was exclusive to the 2CD set and not the 5 CD set itself, and vise versa. Does anyone else recall this tidbit/news in regards to them?

Tidal has both sets available for streaming:

There may be more stuff that I missed.

Whoa! Thank you sir!
So no unique mixes, but rather edits and fades to fit that format. Good to know. Thanks again!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: August 31, 2021, 07:06:11 AM »

Does anyone know offhand what the difference is between the book/liner notes in the 5CD set VS the 4LP set?

I only have the 5CD set, but since the book formats are different — 5CD is rectangular and the 4LP is square — there has to be some page layout differences.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4052 on: August 31, 2021, 09:06:25 AM »

This release of "Awake" is everything I always wished it would be. So beautiful. My jaw is on the floor.

Ditto X10000

That's one of the keepers for sure, it's good everyone who wants to can hear it now. We get to hear *THAT VOICE* singing lead, brilliantly at that, at a time when I think many fans thought that voice was not going to be heard again.

What a great piece of tape that is, one of my favorites at this point.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: August 31, 2021, 09:52:39 AM »

Day 5 of having this box and it’s still blowing me away. And most people are oblivious to the existence of this music.  Only a select few “get it” but those numbers will grow as time passes.  Thanks to all involved. And Steve Desper is the unsung hero of this music.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: August 31, 2021, 09:55:44 AM »

"4th of July" (2019 Mix):

The beautiful meditative instrumental moment from 2:03 until 2:14 sounds like the Twin Peaks theme music, recorded 20 years earlier.

Does anyone else hear the similarity?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 10:05:58 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4055 on: August 31, 2021, 10:06:12 AM »

The Beach Boys Feel Flows Chapter 3: Growing In Soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2J1F0J1e30

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4056 on: August 31, 2021, 10:31:42 AM »

Susie Cinc , Back home- 7/3/76- Anaheim
Disney Girls- Blossom Music Center  6/11/82
This Whole World - Groton, Ct 6/19/88
Riot In Cellblock #9- Big Sur  Festival 10/3/1970
Its About Time- Fillmore East 6/27/1971
Surfs Up- Chicago 8/15/73
Take Good Care of Your Feet, Add Some Music To Your Day-  NYC- 11/26/93
Student Demonstration Time- Carnegie Hall 11/23/72
Long Promised Road- Carnegie Hall 11/23/72

Thank you, Mark! I tell you, I can't stop listening to "It's about Time". Carl's singing on the studio version is great already, but this live performance is breathtaking! What a singer!

Oh and let me add to all the thank yous and congratulations on the set! It sure looks and sounds like everything we could've hoped for when it comes to the Sunflower/Surf's Up era. I hope you guys know how much we fans appreciate that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: August 31, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »

86 on Metacritic from seven reviews - five 80s and two 90s.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/feel-flows-the-sunflower-surfs-up-sessions-1969-1971/the-beach-boys

Included is a four-star review from Rolling Stone, which I'm afraid isn't nearly as sharp as the great review they ran for Wake The World/I Can Hear Music.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/feel-flows-the-sunflower-surfs-up-sessions-1969-1971-goes-deep-on-two-beach-boys-classics-1218719/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: August 31, 2021, 02:14:26 PM »

Just curious...

Why are Marcella and You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone included?  Weren't they recorded in 1972?

Sessions for both songs commenced 1971. Plus it makes a nice teaser for what's to come in the future.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: August 31, 2021, 03:08:50 PM »

I goofed on SDT it is actually from the Fillmore East in 1971 ...so the credit in the box is correct......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: August 31, 2021, 03:39:44 PM »

Mark and Alan interview with Varitey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2021/music/news/beach-boys-feel-flows-box-set-interview-1235052996/amp/

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: August 31, 2021, 03:44:51 PM »

I goofed on SDT it is actually from the Fillmore East in 1971 ...so the credit in the box is correct......

Mr Linett, from listening to copies of both shows online, Student Demonstration Time sounds a lot closer to the Carnegie Hall shows than the Fillmore East. I believe your initial assessment was indeed correct.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: August 31, 2021, 03:47:05 PM »

Just curious...

Why are Marcella and You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone included?  Weren't they recorded in 1972?

Sessions for both songs commenced 1971. Plus it makes a nice teaser for what's to come in the future.

Not Mess of Help. Per Alan, their inclusion didn't have anything to do with when they were recorded.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: August 31, 2021, 04:54:32 PM »

Received my set yesterday, and have listened to three of the five CDs so far. So well done!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: August 31, 2021, 06:41:36 PM »

Just curious...

Why are Marcella and You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone included?  Weren't they recorded in 1972?

Not Mess of Help. Per Alan, their inclusion didn't have anything to do with when they were recorded.

Okay - thanks - hadn't heard/read that Alan had said that it didn't have anything to do with when they were recorded.

Is this info below wrong?

Beatrice from Baltimore
Brian Wilson and Tandyn Almer song, recorded December 6–10, 1971 and January 31, 1972. According to Debbie Keil, a verse was "She got a hole in her stocking, she does a whole lot of rockin'. She do the shake down a Bumbles, she do the chicano rumble. Little Beatrice from Baltimore."
- from https://beachboysdb.fandom.com/wiki/Unreleased_Songs

“Beatrice from Baltimore” – A tapebox for “Beatrice from Baltimore” is in the Beach Boys' vault, though it features no vocals and eventually became, “You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone” on Carl & the Passions.
- from https://www.laweekly.com/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes-a-track-by-track-description/

In a way, the early title / lyrics for the song explain why the song transitions abruptly from talking about the protagonist, switching to the "She don't know . . . ." lyrics, talking about a girl who has not been previously mentioned in the song.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 07:03:58 PM by thetojo » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: August 31, 2021, 07:11:25 PM »

Just curious...

Why are Marcella and You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone included?  Weren't they recorded in 1972?

Okay - thanks - hadn't heard/read that Alan had said that it didn't have anything to do with when they were recorded.

Is this info below wrong?

Beatrice from Baltimore
Brian Wilson and Tandyn Almer song, recorded December 6–10, 1971 and January 31, 1972. According to Debbie Keil, a verse was "She got a hole in her stocking, she does a whole lot of rockin'. She do the shake down a Bumbles, she do the chicano rumble. Little Beatrice from Baltimore."
- from https://beachboysdb.fandom.com/wiki/Unreleased_Songs

“Beatrice from Baltimore” – A tapebox for “Beatrice from Baltimore” is in the Beach Boys' vault, though it features no vocals and eventually became, “You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone” on Carl & the Passions.
- from https://www.laweekly.com/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes-a-track-by-track-description/

In a way, the early title / lyrics for the song explain why the song transitions abruptly from talking about the protagonist, switching to the "She don't know . . . ." lyrics, talking about a girl who has not been previously mentioned in the song.

There's good contemporaneous evidence in the form of comments from Carl, and I think Mike, to support "Beatrice" being from very early '72, and not having been started by the time '71 ended.  It may not quite be definitive, but it's convincing.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: August 31, 2021, 07:18:19 PM »

My 5 CD box set arrived from ImportCDs today. A couple days earlier than I had expected. Now I need to rip FLACs of the discs so I can enjoy it at work.

A big Thank You! to Mark and Alan for fulfilling a wish I've had for 30 years.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: August 31, 2021, 08:21:00 PM »

Do we know what if any participation Marilyn had vocally? Sounds like she is on Feel Flows backing, or am I mistaken?
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: August 31, 2021, 09:40:05 PM »

anyone else really digging "its natural" ?, It has a really cool feel to it with the keyboards, I am very curious to see how the finish song would have sounded.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: August 31, 2021, 10:58:40 PM »

anyone else really digging "its natural" ?, It has a really cool feel to it with the keyboards, I am very curious to see how the finish song would have sounded.

Absolutely. As I said in another thread, it sound kinda like a proto-Love You with the sound of the keys, the synth bass and the heavy, loud drums. Nice little song David Sandler had right there. Truly too bad him and Brian didn't work together more. Perhaps there is more left in the vaults from their time working together.
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: September 01, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »

To me it sounds like something XTC could have recorded in the late 80s. Very cool song.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4071 on: September 01, 2021, 09:13:36 AM »

To me it sounds like something XTC could have recorded in the late 80s. Very cool song.

Good call! Very interesting track - really digging the organ sounds. And not just vintage XTC! On quite a few tracks throughout the set, there are musical elements, styles of playing, and sounds that would not be out of place on any number of 90's-2000's indie-alternative-lofi artists' albums. Like the Elephant 6 groups, Apples In Stereo, Animal Collective, Olivia Tremor Control, etc.

So it's interesting to hear what are unheard tracks from 70-71 sounding very much like what those specific genres of indie groups would sound like in their music 20-30 years later.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4072 on: September 01, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »

Do we know what if any participation Marilyn had vocally? Sounds like she is on Feel Flows backing, or am I mistaken?

I think so, too. The lead up to the chorus sounds like Carl, Brian and Marylin to me.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: September 01, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »

I think so, too. The lead up to the chorus sounds like Carl, Brian and Marylin to me.

That'd be Carl, Diane and Marilyn.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4074 on: September 01, 2021, 09:32:26 AM »

That "My Solution" backing track - Hell, if that were on an Elephant 6 label album it would be praised as lo-fi alterna-genius!  Grin

Maybe it's just me, but hearing the organ track on that one reminded me of that old "H&V Sessions" boot where there are tracks of similar creepy organ tracks being recorded for the "Intro". It has that nighttime, stoned kind of feel that could have fit on Smile had those H&V organ parts been used on a mix. Same with the tape delay percussion.

Add that now to Take A Load Off Your Feet as tracks recorded in 71 or so that had the Smile production and sonic touches which were dismissed 4-5 years prior.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx