gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:51:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 839071 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: August 27, 2021, 10:38:25 AM »

For being a bed resting vegetable Brian sure did much on these sessions  Roll Eyes

Jokes aside, Good Time left me a bit in awe, there's something about it that sounds so timeless and modern.

Mike really stands out on that track

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: August 27, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »

Wow, Brian with the ghost-like whisper on the "Til I Die" alternate lyrics. Never heard that voice from him. You can feel the pain he was feeling when he wrote it. Chilling stuff.

Another "wow" for the "Won't You Tell Me" demo. Just when we thought we heard all of the golden-voice-era lead vocals from Brian, this pops up! When was this recorded? Pre-SOT sale?

Almost everything on this set is magic. I love how Mark stripped down some of the instrumentals for the "track and backing vocals" versions. So cool to finally hear alternate versions of these songs.

And yet I still can't fully make out what Carl's singing at the end of "All I Wanna Do", lol. It's clear that the beginning bit is "If you get lonely in the night..." Anyone decipher what follows?

Many thanks to all involved for putting this amazing set together!!

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: August 27, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »

I've never heard much of Dennis' stuff prior to today. That guy had music in his soul! Did the guys sing on his material, or am I hearing a wall of Dennis's?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: August 27, 2021, 11:08:21 AM »

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: August 27, 2021, 11:15:30 AM »

Who is that on 'baby baby'?

Why would they ruin such a good song with awful signing

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: August 27, 2021, 11:29:50 AM »

Some highlights so far:

- Add Some Music - Track & Backing Vocals mix... that intro section sounds almost like the 2nd coming of Sloop John B.
So beautiful and Brian at the top of his game, it recalls Pet Sounds backing tracks.

- Forever - Track & Backing Vocals mix... DAMNNNNNNN

- 4th of July ... the section directly before the flute outro, and the flute outro itself - wow. This mix is astonishing.

- My Solution - mindblowing.

William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: August 27, 2021, 11:32:27 AM »

Daryl Dragon, perchance? He has a co-writer credit, if the Wikipedia details are to be believed, and the song sounds very much to me like it was made up on the spot.

Speaking of writing credits, Awake is credited to Brian and David Sandler. Whatever became of Floyd Tucker?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:33:31 AM by William Bowe » Logged
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: August 27, 2021, 11:41:14 AM »

Daryl Dragon, perchance? He has a co-writer credit, if the Wikipedia details are to be believed, and the song sounds very much to me like it was made up on the spot.

Speaking of writing credits, Awake is credited to Brian and David Sandler. Whatever became of Floyd Tucker?

Too bad they didn't make a descent recording... and more rockers like this!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:30:51 AM by bsten » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: August 27, 2021, 11:56:46 AM »

Had to do some phenagling t get my copy of the 5 cd box today, but so glad I did....this is magical!!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: August 27, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »

Listening on YouTube while waiting for the set to hit my doorstep, I had to start with Disc 5. This stuff is fantastic!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3935 on: August 27, 2021, 12:29:38 PM »

Have a million words to say, but this set blows away even the highest expectations.

Those vocals, beyond words. You think it can't get more powerful and angelic at the same time, but there it is.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:30:36 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: August 27, 2021, 12:38:02 PM »

Too much to take in! I guess one word fits for now: Wow.

First impressions, the material from Dennis is amazing. As someone said earlier, Dennis could very well be the star of this box set. I got the feeling going track-by-track that the music was just pouring out of the man at this time, and the inevitable "what if?" aspect come up when you think how different things may have been if more of this music had come out at the time, and people didn't have to wait until 1977 and POB to hear the depth of his talent. Even on the instrumentals, you hear a deep soul flowing in the tracks that in terms of this band could possibly only be matched by that "X Factor" which marks Brian's best productions, that element that draws people in and gives them a sonic hug.

I'm listening through, and what strikes me about many of the tracks is just how non-traditional and experimental these chord progressions are in these songs. They're not doing standard rock chord changes, they're not doing "Blue Moon" doo-wop chords, they're not doing old boogie-woogie patterns as much as they would later...this is very, very progressive songwriting and chord construction for the type of band a lot of people thought these guys were.

"Won't You Tell Me" - Was Brian laughing at Murry's comment or at something else happening in the studio? I couldn't tell. What disturbed me was hearing Murry's voice say "Brian, I'm talking to you" like Brian was 10 or something. I tensed up hearing that, even though that demo is a treat over all.

And what also struck with that demo was hearing Brian using that type of vibrato while singing - More of a controlled crooner type of vibrato that wasn't really his trademark on those soaring 60's leads. Very interesting to hear.

Agreed with "twentytwenty" - So much for Brian being a vegetable and not doing much but lie in bed, right? Again, the proof is on the tapes. Was he as much to the forefront? Of course not, but man his presence is there on these tapes. And how great if not melancholy is it to hear *THAT VOICE* hitting the high notes which would soon disappear entirely from BB's music.

I'll say it again, Cool Cool Water is a masterpiece, and Mike sounds amazing on this. He *owned* that near-whisper, bass-baritone, close-mic'ed sound. The same sound as heard on "Meant For You", where he just gets really close to the mic and hits that range which resonates with the microphone, that's gold right there.

I have to be honest, when it comes to Surf's Up as a recording, I always lean toward the Brian-led vocals as appeared on the '93 box set, "Inside Pop", to a lesser degree the late '67 solo take...so it was interesting to hear them try to graft a BW vocal onto the current tracks. It *could* have worked, but it's a little odd to hear. I like how those takes on the box are less ornate, and can breathe more than the final released mix, which I think is too cluttered and too heavy on falsetto harmony vocals that are distracting. And what was really, really interesting was to hear on attempt where it sounded like they deliberately tried to make the song "heavier" in a rock sense, and it felt like they were trying to rock it up a bit knowing it would be a major release. But cooler heads prevailed I suppose, or maybe I'm just hearing the "rock" in that earlier unused attempt that is more my ears than the actual intent.

Anyway...wow.

There better be Grammy awards for this.

Really get a feeling for the strange relationship between Brian and his father, and this was not long before he died. Murry's voice and manner of talking is so condescending and lacking in sensitivity and it's almost like Brian giggles like a kid in response. Maybe his coping mechanism to bear growing up under the watch of such a - can I say cruel man. Murry's ego also comes through when he states it's the best song they've done in 5 years. Was the last good one perhaps Help Me Rhonda, Murry? Did your efforts as a producer bring out that extra syncopation in Al that finally nailed that record?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:41:13 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: August 27, 2021, 02:07:44 PM »

Of course I want to say a big thank you to all those involved in making this happen - especially Mark, Alan and Howie and of course Mr. Desper and the Beach Boys themselves!
This album was really the first Beach Boys album I can remember listening to and is a large reason I got hooked as a fan. This set - especially in these days of lockdown - is such a blessing! I have both the larger CD and LP boxes coming but I also bought the hi-res download too and even though I've only listened through once so far it is absolutely worth every cent and more cause I know this is one box I will enjoy for many years to come!

A few quick questions as it has been a while since I've heard some of these rarer tracks but are there group vocals missing on the choruses of Seasons in the Sun and also Sweet and Bitter? I was just expecting to hear a fuller group effort in those parts. As I say, maybe it's just me not remembering correctly. I feel like there might be subtle little things missing on other tracks too as well as many little additions that weren't present before. I just wonder (if I am correct in remembering) if we might see alternate mixes of some of these tracks in a digital only release?

Also interesting to hear the alternate vocal take of Forever including the slight lyric change. I actually got a bit emotional when I got to the Forever track and backing vocals. This music just means so much to me as it does to most of us!
So, again, a heartfelt thank you to those getting this beautiful music to us fans and I look forward to what else we have in store in the coming months and years!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:11:23 PM by mikeyj » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: August 27, 2021, 02:51:51 PM »

My set has arrived! Now to settle in for listening. Smiley

Some more reviews of FF:

From the Recording Academy / Grammys folks:
Brian Wilson Is A Once-In-A-Lifetime Creative Genius. But The Beach Boys Are More Than Just Him.
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/the-beach-boys-feel-flows-sunflower-surfs-up-boxed-set-carl-wilson-feature

American Songwriter:
Review: Beach Boys Fans Will Find a Treasure Trove of Rarities in the Expanded Editions of ‘Sunflower’ and ‘Surf’s Up’
https://americansongwriter.com/review-beach-boys-fans-will-find-a-treasure-trove-of-rarities-in-the-expanded-editions-of-sunflower-and-surfs-up

Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: August 27, 2021, 03:04:03 PM »

Good to see you back, Mikey. I am too very thankful for everyone getting this release done. I have received the 5 CD box set today, hadn't had the time yet to listen to it but will do it first thing tomorrow. Thank you guys again, actually there are some exciting releases coming out this year but this one takes the cake for me.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: August 27, 2021, 03:08:27 PM »

Waiting on Rolling Stone and pitchfork reviews

El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: August 27, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »

Of all the box sets, digital releases and outtake releases we’ve had over the years, I have to say that this set really is the most extraordinary release of them all. The alternate mixes, backing track + vocals, and vocals only versions really do show this period to be something of a group vocal peak for the boys. Can any other era compare with the outstanding group vocals during this period?

I sometimes think that I’ve listened to the Beach Boys so much over the years that maybe there isn’t much more for the music to give, but this really is like hearing the music again for the first time. I’m hearing layer upon layer of beautiful new detail in tracks I’ve heard many hundreds of times before - things that were barely audible to me in their full mix presented here and standing up as highlights in their own right.

As a teenager growing up listening to capitol era CD twofers, with everything after 20/20 out of print, I can remember the thrill of hearing a snippet of “All I Wanna Do” whilst watching Endless Harmony and imaging what treasures those 70’s records might hold. I have the exact same feeling hearing the vocals only version of All I Wanna Do here - it is spine tingling. Maybe Pet Sounds represents a peak for Brian as a songwriter, producer, singer and arranger,  but I think this set makes it clear that for the group as a whole this period is their absolute peak (did any other group reach collective highs such as this?)

This whole thing is an utter joy and it is a privilege to be receiving this as a fan. Sometimes the hype and the waiting for releases can eventually lead to anticipated releases being something of an anti-climax, but this surpasses every expectation I held, by a considerable distance. It feels insufficient to say it, but all I can offer is the biggest “thank you” to Alan, Mark, Howie and anyone else involved in this for all that you’ve done to make something so incredible for us. You have presented this outstanding group at their absolute finest here and have created the most incredible showcase for their music. Thank you!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: August 27, 2021, 03:47:57 PM »

It's amazing to me how a new mix can breathe so much life and vivid colour into music one is well acquainted with. So good. I am resisting jumping around from disc to disc. I am going to give this a strait listen from start to finish.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: August 27, 2021, 04:00:31 PM »

Two initial thoughts and a question before I write my music column for likely publication Sept. 4.

1. What life-affirming music.
2. Beatles who?
3. I don't have the box at this point (listening via streaming) so I'd like to know who gets the credit this time for producing Susie Cincinnati. (The Beach Boys as on the single, Brian as on 15 Big Ones or Al as on Best of the Brother Years).
Kudos to all who worked on this box and bringing out the beautiful parts that were previously buried in the music.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 04:01:43 PM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: August 27, 2021, 04:05:44 PM »

I actually got a bit emotional when I got to the Forever track and backing vocals.
\

Me too.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: August 27, 2021, 04:12:13 PM »

Of all the box sets, digital releases and outtake releases we’ve had over the years, I have to say that this set really is the most extraordinary release of them all. The alternate mixes, backing track + vocals, and vocals only versions really do show this period to be something of a group vocal peak for the boys. Can any other era compare with the outstanding group vocals during this period?

I sometimes think that I’ve listened to the Beach Boys so much over the years that maybe there isn’t much more for the music to give, but this really is like hearing the music again for the first time. I’m hearing layer upon layer of beautiful new detail in tracks I’ve heard many hundreds of times before - things that were barely audible to me in their full mix presented here and standing up as highlights in their own right.

As a teenager growing up listening to capitol era CD twofers, with everything after 20/20 out of print, I can remember the thrill of hearing a snippet of “All I Wanna Do” whilst watching Endless Harmony and imaging what treasures those 70’s records might hold. I have the exact same feeling hearing the vocals only version of All I Wanna Do here - it is spine tingling. Maybe Pet Sounds represents a peak for Brian as a songwriter, producer, singer and arranger,  but I think this set makes it clear that for the group as a whole this period is their absolute peak (did any other group reach collective highs such as this?)

This whole thing is an utter joy and it is a privilege to be receiving this as a fan. Sometimes the hype and the waiting for releases can eventually lead to anticipated releases being something of an anti-climax, but this surpasses every expectation I held, by a considerable distance. It feels insufficient to say it, but all I can offer is the biggest “thank you” to Alan, Mark, Howie and anyone else involved in this for all that you’ve done to make something so incredible for us. You have presented this outstanding group at their absolute finest here and have created the most incredible showcase for their music. Thank you!

VERY beautifully said
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: August 27, 2021, 04:44:59 PM »

And yet I still can't fully make out what Carl's singing at the end of "All I Wanna Do", lol. It's clear that the beginning bit is "If you get lonely in the night..." Anyone decipher what follows?

It's 'If you get lonely in the night I'd come and be with you'
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: August 27, 2021, 04:48:45 PM »

It's amazing to me how a new mix can breathe so much life and vivid colour into music one is well acquainted with.

Nitpicking but the Sunflower and Surf's Up albums themselves were just remastered, not remixed.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: August 27, 2021, 04:49:13 PM »

Two initial thoughts and a question before I write my music column for likely publication Sept. 4.

1. What life-affirming music.
2. Beatles who?
3. I don't have the box at this point (listening via streaming) so I'd like to know who gets the credit this time for producing Susie Cincinnati. (The Beach Boys as on the single, Brian as on 15 Big Ones or Al as on Best of the Brother Years).
Kudos to all who worked on this box and bringing out the beautiful parts that were previously buried in the music.

It says "Produced by Alan Jardine, Carl Wilson and Brian Wilson"
smog police
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: August 27, 2021, 05:00:21 PM »

"Won't You Tell Me" - Was Brian laughing at Murry's comment or at something else happening in the studio? I couldn't tell. What disturbed me was hearing Murry's voice say "Brian, I'm talking to you" like Brian was 10 or something. I tensed up hearing that, even though that demo is a treat over all.

I'm getting 'Beauty, Brian I'm talking beauty' from Murry here. He very definitely loves this song!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx