gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:57:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841639 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2019, 10:00:53 AM »

As far as I'm concerned this silence and lack of a download release this year is all good news if you are like me and want all of this 1969-71 material in a physical box.

I don't even own a cd player, so it's bad news for me

Any physical media release will also have a digital release component as well.
How do you know, though? The powers that be could simply say "nope", and that would be it. It may be an overly pessimistic view, but I assume/expect nothing, and just hope for the best.

I suppose in the "anything is possible" category, that might be something to worry about.

But what was the last Beach Boys mainstream (meaning Capitol/UMe/BRI) release that *wasn't* released digitally? Indeed, the main mode for these "Copyright Extension" releases has been *digital-only*, with a few also seeing physical release.

It is possible they'd put something exclusive on a 2020 Sunflower/Surf's Up boxed set? Perhaps. But I mean, with even large lavish boxed sets, they often carry most if not everything over to digital releases, down to the elaborate booklets and even video content.

I'd say there's a small chance there might be some small component of an eventual boxed set release that doesn't carry over to digital. I'd say it's as close to impossible as one can fathom that they'll do some sort of multi-disc boxed set and *not* release that on any digital formats.

At this stage, there are more vinyl-only exclusives than CD-only exclusives.

Really, those who only do digital/streaming aren't the ones that need to worry when it comes to music releases. They're covered by Spotify and others for streaming, Amazon and others for digital MP3 purchase, and other online retailers often for lossless and high-rez options.

And frankly, while I'm all for putting all this stuff out on any and all formats to get to the widest audience possible, I can't say a huge amount of consideration needs to given to someone who doesn't even have a CD player or disc drive to rip a CD, based on the one in a million chance that Capitol and BRI would do a CD-only release. I get it, PCs don't come with disc drives anymore and even I often end up ripping CDs to my iPod, etc. rather than playing CDs. If there was any precedent for not putting stuff out digitally, then I'd worry about those who literally have no means to play or rip a CD. But I don't think that's going to be a problem.

And even if some rando track is exclusive to a potential CD set, it'll probably be up on YouTube in short order for everyone to hear.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »

As far as I'm concerned this silence and lack of a download release this year is all good news if you are like me and want all of this 1969-71 material in a physical box.

How do you know, though? The powers that be could simply say "nope", and that would be it. It may be an overly pessimistic view, but I assume/expect nothing, and just hope for the best.

I mean, we can speculate to the farthest fringes of our imaginations (ie maybe they'll be releasing this set vinyl only - which is a ridiculous thought when you think about all the demos, live tracks, backing tracks, vocals-only tracks we could be getting with this set), but if we look at what they've done in the past, and what makes the record company the most money in this era, the reality is this:

Every physical boxset this band has released post-iTunes has had a digital release as well - sales would nosedive if they made this physical/CD release only. In an age where more and more computers are without CD drives and nearly every form of media conforms to our mobile digital lifestyle, I can't imagine that the record company would do this. Such an act would be inviting piracy - as in, many don't have a CD drive to even play this music, so of course they'd pirate what they can't access legally.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2019, 10:32:52 AM »

I suppose in the "anything is possible" category, that might be something to worry about.

But what was the last Beach Boys mainstream (meaning Capitol/UMe/BRI) release that *wasn't* released digitally? Indeed, the main mode for these "Copyright Extension" releases has been *digital-only*, with a few also seeing physical release.

It is possible they'd put something exclusive on a 2020 Sunflower/Surf's Up boxed set? Perhaps. But I mean, with even large lavish boxed sets, they often carry most if not everything over to digital releases, down to the elaborate booklets and even video content.

I'd say there's a small chance there might be some small component of an eventual boxed set release that doesn't carry over to digital. I'd say it's as close to impossible as one can fathom that they'll do some sort of multi-disc boxed set and *not* release that on any digital formats.

At this stage, there are more vinyl-only exclusives than CD-only exclusives.

Really, those who only do digital/streaming aren't the ones that need to worry when it comes to music releases. They're covered by Spotify and others for streaming, Amazon and others for digital MP3 purchase, and other online retailers often for lossless and high-rez options.

And frankly, while I'm all for putting all this stuff out on any and all formats to get to the widest audience possible, I can't say a huge amount of consideration needs to given to someone who doesn't even have a CD player or disc drive to rip a CD, based on the one in a million chance that Capitol and BRI would do a CD-only release. I get it, PCs don't come with disc drives anymore and even I often end up ripping CDs to my iPod, etc. rather than playing CDs. If there was any precedent for not putting stuff out digitally, then I'd worry about those who literally have no means to play or rip a CD. But I don't think that's going to be a problem.

And even if some rando track is exclusive to a potential CD set, it'll probably be up on YouTube in short order for everyone to hear.
I think I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about a box set *and* a separate digital archival release, whereas you meant a digital version of the physical box set.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »

Maybe Reddit has the answers.  Grin Cool Guy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2019, 01:02:10 PM »

All I know is that if it turns out to be a vinyl only release I’ll be extremely pissed.

Not saying it is, as I’ve heard absolutely nothing about the set apart of what’s in this thread, but just wanted to voice that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »

All I know is that if it turns out to be a vinyl only release I’ll be extremely pissed.

Not saying it is, as I’ve heard absolutely nothing about the set apart of what’s in this thread, but just wanted to voice that.

Agreed; there are an annoying amount of vinyl exclusives (which often don't come with a digital download option). Some of it has to do with vinyl being really trendy now, and indie labels finding it cheaper to license things for vinyl-only rather than multiple formats.

I picked up a previously-unreleased soundtrack I really, really wanted for years and years that they finally put out a few years ago. It was vinyl only. So it sits there until I either find it digitally on like YouTube, or I stop being lazy and rip the thing from vinyl to digital/CD myself. It would be much easier if they just put the friggin' thing on a CD, or even offered a digital download card or something. But nope. The small label that licensed it only paid for a license to press it on vinyl.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SBonilla
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »

Agreed; there are an annoying amount of vinyl exclusives (which often don't come with a digital download option). Some of it has to do with vinyl being really trendy now, and indie labels finding it cheaper to license things for vinyl-only rather than multiple formats.

I picked up a previously-unreleased soundtrack I really, really wanted for years and years that they finally put out a few years ago. It was vinyl only. So it sits there until I either find it digitally on like YouTube, or I stop being lazy and rip the thing from vinyl to digital/CD myself. It would be much easier if they just put the friggin' thing on a CD, or even offered a digital download card or something. But nope. The small label that licensed it only paid for a license to press it on vinyl.

Small record companies are tossed format crumbs to license because big labels throw no bones.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 21, 2019, 06:46:20 AM »

Do you guys remember the Cabin Essence 45 that came out prior to The Smile Sessions release? It was a giveaway or something with MOJO magazine, everyone here wanted a digital rip of it because that specific mix was only available via that vinyl freebie (up until TSS release, that is). I think I remember some posters getting annoyed by the amount of PM requests LOL good times.

As for the Feel Flows set, unless they want to drastically lose money on this set I highly doubt it'll be vinyl only.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2019, 08:48:07 AM »

Great point rab.  They might want to do some decent promotion for this set - especially since Sunflower was named one of the top 500 albums ever and is not well known among the masses.  So they may be doing a similar thing they did with Smile Sessions - magazine and TV interviews, an advance single, record store promos, etc.  It makes sense if we are not getting a 1969 digital release and with what Al and Bruce have let slip.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »

I would love to see a full on promotional campaign for this. I said it before (more specifically for any possible late-2019 digital release), but even some social media posts pushing this set would go a long way. I would love to see a wide range of interviews, sneak-peak 30 second snippets of select songs, as Ram4 says an advanced single would be awesome (in both Digital and 45 form).

To add to my Feel Flows boxset wishlist: I would also really like a Sunflower or Surf's Up poster (like the SMiLE poster we got in TSS). I have all my Beach Boys posters hanging up in my office, would love to add another classic to the collection.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 21, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »

Some folk here may disagree, but I consider Sunflower to be their most significant release since Pet Sounds.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2019, 04:09:52 AM »

Agree about sunflower. Probably their best Collective piece of music other than Pet Sounds in my honest opinion
SBonilla
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2019, 06:06:10 AM »

Agree about sunflower. Probably their best Collective piece of music other than Pet Sounds in my honest opinion

Did you really mean that? Pet Sounds was Brian. He doled out vocal parts in order to make it a Beach Boys record.

Sunflower is great and, in its own little way, Friends is a mighty fine collective effort.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2019, 07:49:27 AM »

I always consider Pet Sounds to be Brian's best production (even though I'd rather listen to Beach Boys Today! most of the time), and Sunflower to be the best group effort.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 22, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »

Did you really mean that? Pet Sounds was Brian. He doled out vocal parts in order to make it a Beach Boys record.

Sunflower is great and, in its own little way, Friends is a mighty fine collective effort.

Agreed. I love the way Friends was created - I think it was Brian's last true effort at fully producing and completing a Beach Boys album. I love that everyone got to pitch in with music, instruments, ideas, but Brian was there co-writing and producing every song (even the one song he wasn't credited on). That album has such a varied style yet it's all so cohesive.

Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2019, 06:50:38 AM »

I prefer Friends to Sunflower, but it is nevertheless a fine album.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2019, 08:02:47 AM »

Friends is a summer album and Sunflower is a fall album, both are perfect Smiley

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »

Friends is more of a winter album for me

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »

For me, Friends = summer
Sunflower = anytime
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2019, 12:17:48 PM »

I, too, prefer Friends to Sunflower, but also agree that the latter is great in its own way.

As for the seasons, Friends to me is a spring album - newborn life, waking the world, young love, it's the young adult years of a man who has just started a family. Even the cover art feels like the fresh green of spring.

Agreed with c-man, Sunflower = anytime.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2019, 01:30:57 PM »

"Friends" has often been my favorite Beach Boys album since I first heard it in the mid 1990's. "Sunflower" has also often been my favorite album of theirs too. I can't make up my mind.  LOL

Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 26, 2019, 03:01:32 AM »

It's not much, but we have something!! 27th in NZ!!
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 26, 2019, 05:16:28 AM »

Apparently on Spotify NZ

The Beach Boys 1969: I'm Going Your Way

I'm Going Your Way (Alternate Vocal Take)
Slip On Through (Early Version)
Carnival (Over the Waves) - looks like it is a 2:43 minute version

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 05:17:41 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: December 26, 2019, 06:57:58 AM »

The cover art confirms what the track listing tells us, which is that this is a barebones legal requirement release, nothing more (though perhaps they only needed to put the two tracks out and just threw an extra Dennis outtake on there because why not).

The only question remaining is whether these three tracks will also be out on the eventual boxed set.

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 26, 2019, 07:19:16 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:05:05 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx