gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:18:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841798 times)
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: August 28, 2020, 05:54:30 AM »

There’s an update about the current status of this box?
Things will be worked/can be worked to get this released?
The box still have a chance to be released till the end of this year?
I’m asking it because I don’t know of the deadline to set a release date
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: August 28, 2020, 09:04:49 AM »

I just read some articles about Cameron Crowe's film "Almost Famous" turning 20 this month.

Rolling Stone and other major publications have done big writeups about it because it's a big anniversary.

www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/almost-famous-20th-anniversary-cameron-crowe-interview-1041826/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/movies/kate-hudson-billy-crudup-reunite-almost-famous/%3famp=true

Crowe is a BBs superfan it would seem. Plus, coincidentally, that movie specifically gave the song Feel Flows its biggest fame, arguably, in relatively modern times. Crowe and that film put the song FF *on the map* for a generation of music fans.

Maybe it's a gift from the heavens that the well-publicized anniversary of a film with a connection to that song just happens to be happening right now, when we need some publicity for this.

Crowe might be someone to reach out towards, and/or maybe one of the numerous publications writing about that 20th anniversary would be inclined to do another article or investigative journalism to get to the bottom of what's happening here, or at bare minimum to point blank ask each band member what's going on with the box. Deflection ain't gonna work.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:29:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: August 28, 2020, 04:10:44 PM »

Excellent idea, CD. I suspect someone here in the SS orbit is in contact with Crowe and can fill him in on the situation...
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1253 on: August 29, 2020, 12:34:42 AM »

The appearance of Feel Flows in that movie when it came out really brought a lot of my friends round to looking at the Beach Boys in a different way.

The fact it was a Carl song too was interesting. The reevaluation of the band in the music press was only really in it's early stage back then.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1254 on: August 29, 2020, 12:56:37 AM »

That was around the time period that people really started getting into the post "classic" period, and  the other BB members besides Brian *really* started to finally get credit.  And to top it all of, that had the end result of Brian's post 67 work being reevaluated, and thus the realization that he was still put out great work long after the myth held he'd stopped.

So yeah, we need this set out. Time's a tickin'

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cork On The Ocean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: August 30, 2020, 08:29:42 AM »

And now Brian's FB has a "Surf's Up was released on this day in 1971" post. Getting a lot of interaction. It mentions it was a group effort and lists everybody's contributions...with one exception. Tomorrow's 50th anniversary of Sunflower should be telling. If all we get from their social media is another "Sunflower was released on this day 50 years ago! What's your favorite track?", then I have little hope. Also, I can't believe the background splash on their main social media accounts are still Royal Philharmonic OUT NOW! 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 30, 2020, 09:31:57 AM »

And now Brian's FB has a "Surf's Up was released on this day in 1971" post. Getting a lot of interaction. It mentions it was a group effort and lists everybody's contributions...with one exception.  

The non-mention of Mike makes it pretty clear to me that some Mike-related BS is the reason for the FF box being squashed. Find me a logical scenario where Mike isn't the cause, despite Mike still getting snubbed in Brian's post. No way. It all lines up.   Undecided
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 09:46:20 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cork On The Ocean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: August 30, 2020, 10:17:54 AM »

Yes, very subtle. Carl contributed these, Al contributed these, this was Bruce's contribution, and these were Brian's. And?...and that's it! LOL. "A group effort!"
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 31, 2020, 04:34:50 AM »

And now Brian's FB has a "Surf's Up was released on this day in 1971" post. Getting a lot of interaction. It mentions it was a group effort and lists everybody's contributions...with one exception.  

The non-mention of Mike makes it pretty clear to me that some Mike-related BS is the reason for the FF box being squashed. Find me a logical scenario where Mike isn't the cause, despite Mike still getting snubbed in Brian's post. No way. It all lines up.   Undecided

It is possible, but I vaguely remember Brian having very little, if anything at all about "Student Demonstration Time" in the Sunflower twofer liner notes. I think he called it "too intense" or something to that effect.

Although, that doesn't explain "Don't Go Near The Water" not being mentioned.
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: August 31, 2020, 05:27:58 AM »

It is possible, but I vaguely remember Brian having very little, if anything at all about "Student Demonstration Time" in the Sunflower twofer liner notes. I think he called it "too intense" or something to that effect.

"All I wanna do" got mentioned today in Brian's post about Sunflower, so that surely shuts down the idea of any Feel Flows hinting to us. "Don't Go Near The Water" is pleasant, but perhaps Camp Brian doesn't like to be reminded of the many Al/Mike co-writes in the 70's...
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1260 on: August 31, 2020, 05:38:01 AM »

With people posting to social media about the box set, maybe we should include the link to the petition each time, so the Brian, Al, and Mike see that link, and it exposes others in the social media thread to the petition to potentially sign it.

Not sure how much internet time Brian, Mike and Al actually put in.  But hopefully their handlers will see it.  😁

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 31, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »

Also nice to see after eight days of radio silence imposed by Mr. Suppressive Personality, that Brian's Facebook posts have loosened the tongue (fingers?) of the crew at "that other place"...we need everyone pitching in and looking for ways to shake this situation loose, folks. I don't want to sound like a broken record but the rock press has got to be alerted to this situation, and the more details about exactly what is being held back should be placed in their hands. They can take care of the rest...

Two iconic records brought out at the tail end of August in consecutive years that have so much more material behind them to further illuminate the creative energy peaking in the band from 1969-71--those anniversary dates remind us of just how valuable such an archival release really is for the band and its fans.

Let's keep letting them know how important it is and how much we care!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 31, 2020, 01:51:42 PM »

"All I wanna do" got mentioned today in Brian's post about Sunflower, so that surely shuts down the idea of any Feel Flows hinting to us. "Don't Go Near The Water" is pleasant, but perhaps Camp Brian doesn't like to be reminded of the many Al/Mike co-writes in the 70's...

While I do agree with you on this, I can't help but raise my eyebrows that they listed every song on the Surf's Up album except for the two that Mike Love was involved with. But yes, if they were sending a subtle message then they aren't being very consistent with that message given the Sunflower post, so I begrudgingly agree with you.

And with that said, I am completely saddened that we have these two monumental anniversaries of albums (two days in a row) and no mention of the boxset that was meant to celebrate said albums. This would've been the perfect time to make such an announcement, and all we get are two posts from Brian's Facebook page, and The Beach Boys Facebook page shared a pathetic streaming link to the Surf's Up album. What a kick to the gut.

It has been 50 days since Howie came here and confirmed that this set was being held up. 30 days ago he again confirmed that there was no release date currently scheduled. While I don't think that the Surf's Up post was a hidden message to fans, I still can't shake the thought that Brian's camp publicly snubbed Mike Love's involvement on the record that houses 'Feel Flows'.

There has been no positive word about release for this set from anyone. There has been complete silence for 30 days. The days keep ticking by. It will be October soon, and the longer they put off announcing, the less likely this set will be able to come out. I don't know how long it takes to ramp up manufacturing of these sets, or how long a promotional campaign would take, but the closer to the new year the more I lose hope.

And sadly I don't have much hope left. I wish someone would prove me wrong, but I'm just not seeing the realistic possibility of release here.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1263 on: August 31, 2020, 02:58:01 PM »

While I do agree with you on this, I can't help but raise my eyebrows that they listed every song on the Surf's Up album except for the two that Mike Love was involved with. But yes, if they were sending a subtle message then they aren't being very consistent with that message given the Sunflower post, so I begrudgingly agree with you.

And with that said, I am completely saddened that we have these two monumental anniversaries of albums (two days in a row) and no mention of the boxset that was meant to celebrate said albums. This would've been the perfect time to make such an announcement, and all we get are two posts from Brian's Facebook page, and The Beach Boys Facebook page shared a pathetic streaming link to the Surf's Up album. What a kick to the gut.

It has been 50 days since Howie came here and confirmed that this set was being held up. 30 days ago he again confirmed that there was no release date currently scheduled. While I don't think that the Surf's Up post was a hidden message to fans, I still can't shake the thought that Brian's camp publicly snubbed Mike Love's involvement on the record that houses 'Feel Flows'.

There has been no positive word about release for this set from anyone. There has been complete silence for 30 days. The days keep ticking by. It will be October soon, and the longer they put off announcing, the less likely this set will be able to come out. I don't know how long it takes to ramp up manufacturing of these sets, or how long a promotional campaign would take, but the closer to the new year the more I lose hope.

And sadly I don't have much hope left. I wish someone would prove me wrong, but I'm just not seeing the realistic possibility of release here.

The part in bold...A streaming link? That's ironic.  Razz Wink Smokin LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 31, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »

I saw a post from a Beatles/Apple insider about the new John Lennon “Gimme Some Truth” that will be released in October.
He said the final approval was in August 19th, and the announcement came last Friday.
So if Feel Flows will be released, they can make a announcement til October to have time to do the manufacturing in time for a December release.
If November comes and it still didn’t get an announcement, I think that’s it and we’ll expect a digital copyright extension release.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1265 on: August 31, 2020, 03:17:22 PM »

The petition is now up to 847. Anyone who knows other fans interested in this music and this box set but who might not be aware of the petition, consider forwarding them the link. Here is the petition link again for those interested:

http://chng.it/cPXJsqNBKJ

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 31, 2020, 04:06:03 PM »

There is going to be a big box set of The Who's "The Who Sell Out" album along with a "classic albums" style documentary set for I think early next year, and a box set for "Who's Next" is already being planned. The Who is my favorite group on earth, and as excited as I am for those projects I honestly would be more excited for the Feel Flows box set. Just for the simple reason that the last several copyright extension releases have literally redefined our entire perspective of the beach boys. Every release since "Sunshine Tomorrow" has felt like getting to know a completely new and different band for the first time.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 31, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »

Every release since "Sunshine Tomorrow" has felt like getting to know a completely new and different band for the first time.

In that case, the current dysfunctional situation should feel deeply comforting, reassuring you that these are the same Beach Boys you've always known. Smiley

Cork On The Ocean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 01, 2020, 12:50:21 PM »

Fred Vail shared the Sunflower 50th post on FB too. In relation to the track that was previewed for the set awhile back, all he said was maybe doing a crowdfund to complete the album, about 10 more songs, mixing and overdubs. Idk if that means this set ain't happening and he has to finish the whole thing himself if it's to be released, or if he was just referring to the rest of it.

Also on the BB Sunflower FB post, in terms of voting, ESQ said "majority wins the day", so is it more than one of them?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 12:51:27 PM by Cork On The Ocean » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 01, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »

It's September, and i'm looking back over what's happened so far this year. I don't have ANY hope left.
I'm not buying the bs that 2021 will be a ray of sunshine, either.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1270 on: September 01, 2020, 06:31:07 PM »

Also on the BB Sunflower FB post, in terms of voting, ESQ said "majority wins the day", so is it more than one of them?

ESQ didn't seem to do anything in terms of mentioning or even sharing the petition, or any other efforts by fans to let the band and management know how much they'd like to see this set released. I'm wondering why.

Seriously, in terms of marketing, how f**king great would it have been to mark the release anniversaries of the SAME TWO ALBUMS featured on this box set since the anniversaries line up and they were released a day apart from each other, and one is the golden anniversary year? The missed opportunity aspect of this is staggering, it's so ridiculous.

And in terms of "majority wins the day", I wonder if a majority will vote "yes" on the topic of celebrating the band's 60th by releasing more remakes and re-records of classic songs, more guest artists for Mike to sing Beach Boys covers with, and more "compilations" of the same greatest hits we've bought for decades.

Sh*t.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:33:31 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 01, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »

It's September, and i'm looking back over what's happened so far this year. I don't have ANY hope left.

Me too.
And it’s a shame, but I think it’ll be canceled.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 01, 2020, 08:37:20 PM »

ESQ didn't seem to do anything in terms of mentioning or even sharing the petition, or any other efforts by fans to let the band and management know how much they'd like to see this set released. I'm wondering why.

Seriously, in terms of marketing, how f**king great would it have been to mark the release anniversaries of the SAME TWO ALBUMS featured on this box set since the anniversaries line up and they were released a day apart from each other, and one is the golden anniversary year? The missed opportunity aspect of this is staggering, it's so ridiculous.

And in terms of "majority wins the day", I wonder if a majority will vote "yes" on the topic of celebrating the band's 60th by releasing more remakes and re-records of classic songs, more guest artists for Mike to sing Beach Boys covers with, and more "compilations" of the same greatest hits we've bought for decades.

Sh*t.

Plus the fact that Mike's socials stayed completely silent about the anniversaries of these albums is telling as well. Is that just a coincidence? Brian and Al by contrast were more than happy to gleefully look back upon those albums publicly over the last couple of days.

Is Mike going to play some avoidance game and just ignore questions of this box for the rest of his days? Or is it a mention of the box going to be something that is forbidden to be asked by all future interviewers? What will he do when fans purchase tickets for one of his shows, and hold up banners asking him to address the box? Plus meet and greets once they return.

At some point Mike, as well as the rest of the band, but it would seem mainly Mike - who is the only one who specifically dodged the recent interview question about archival releases - will have to address things one way or another. It might be a BS cover-up answer, but they will still have to address it. They can't play avoidance games with fans forever about this. Fans are not going to let this go. Somebody in the band has got to spill the beans at some point.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:08:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 02, 2020, 04:07:12 AM »

The petition is now up to 1,028.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 02, 2020, 06:38:05 AM »

Plus the fact that Mike's socials stayed completely silent about the anniversaries of these albums is telling as well. Is that just a coincidence? Brian and Al by contrast were more than happy to gleefully look back upon those albums publicly over the last couple of days.

Is Mike going to play some avoidance game and just ignore questions of this box for the rest of his days? Or is it a mention of the box going to be something that is forbidden to be asked by all future interviewers? What will he do when fans purchase tickets for one of his shows, and hold up banners asking him to address the box? Plus meet and greets once they return.

At some point Mike, as well as the rest of the band, but it would seem mainly Mike - who is the only one who specifically dodged the recent interview question about archival releases - will have to address things one way or another. It might be a BS cover-up answer, but they will still have to address it. They can't play avoidance games with fans forever about this. Fans are not going to let this go. Somebody in the band has got to spill the beans at some point.

It would be mildly amusing to waste some money on a meet and greet ticket just to get Mike to sign a pristine vinyl copy of 'Summer in Paradise' with the words "WHERE THE F*** IS FEEL FLOWS?" written across the entire front in permanent marker.

Yeah, I'm thinking you're right.

There are 121 days left between now and the New Year. Maybe some announcement will be made soon. But if there is nothing going on behind-the-scenes, now is the time for anyone with connections to be asking Jason Fine to look into this and perhaps get an article pushed in Rolling Stone.

The petition is now up to 1,028.

That is fantastic news!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx