gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:12:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series  (Read 20433 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2019, 10:46:24 AM »

EDIT:

I've done a slapdash preview episode to at least give you a slight idea what I'm on about.  It's up now!

https://youtu.be/TPJqtfJ-MwU

END EDIT

NEW EDIT:

New video up--not a true episode, but something to keep the momentum going!

End NEW EDIT

Hello friends,

I was just reflecting the other day on how it was almost exactly 20 years ago now that I got involved in the Beach Boys community online.  A short time compared to some others, but still kind of strange to consider!

Anyway, much of my focus as a Beach Boys fan has been enjoying and figuring out the way Brian, and the others to be sure, put together the arrangements for their tracks.  Discussions around such topics have always been my favorite here and elsewhere, and always sure to bring me out of a fallow time of posting.  Some of you may remember the fairly ambitious attempts I have made to present information about the arrangement and recording of tracks over the years.

A new idea has been troubling me lately and I feel like it is something I want to do, but if I do it I want it to be seriously undertaken, and professionally presented, so as to really make it a valuable endeavor.

What I'm interested in doing is a video series, perhaps limited, or perhaps ongoing, when each video delves into a fairly specific aspect of a Beach Boys track arrangement.  It would be a sort of documentary style investigation and partly a class on orchestration.

As some of you may know, I play most instruments pretty well, so I envision each episode being pretty heavy on actual demonstration.

So for instance, let's say an episode is "The woodwind section of God Only Knows".  It would involve some talking heads discussing the track generally, and then maybe some discussion about the particular lineup of instruments.  Then a brief, breezy explanation of woodwind orchestration and maybe some comparison to other pop woodwinds and even classical woodwind section arranging.

Then it would culminate in me demonstrating the individual lines and then the woodwind group playing selections from GOK together.

For another episode, let's say, it could be "The synthesizers of Beach Boys '85", where I would seek out access to the keyboards used on that album and demonstrate them.

There are lots of possibilities.  The point of this post is to gauge interest.  I'm sure most of you would enjoy watching such a thing--but the more important question is whether people would be willing to help spread the word, perhaps support a venture on something like Patreon, or feel like they have a unique contribution to add as a guest on the show.  I would also welcome suggestions and ideas for episodes, or suggestions on how to drum up interest.

Thanks.  Feel free to respond or PM if you have thoughts.  Even if it is to tell me I'm dumb!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 03:00:00 PM by aeijtzsche » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »

I love that idea so much and would certainly  tune in.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »

Hello aeijtzsche,

I second what Nate said. I'm a devotee of "classical" orchestral music, so any Smiley topic that ventures into the area of BB instrumentation is about as good as it gets for me. It's the kind of topic that makes this forum unmissable.

I would really appreciate this proposed venture of yours. I could promote it at the Hoffman Boards and elsewhere and maybe contribute ideas.

So yes, green light from me too. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »

I would absolutely watch every minute of it

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »

100% on board and think others would be super interested, too.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 08:25:53 AM »

You KNOW I'm on board! Smiley
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 02:18:12 AM »

I would definitely watch this!
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 03:01:37 AM »

yes please
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 05:39:48 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:51:11 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 10:38:53 AM »

Would you rather have shorter, hyper-focused videos, or longer, more general videos?

For example, which seems more appealing:

The woodwinds of Summer Days!

or

The woodwind and brass section in the intro to California Girls

Another example:

How the Beach Boys used bass string instruments

or

Ray Pohlman's bass on Pet Sounds

Additionally--please suggest topics.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »

Would you rather have shorter, hyper-focused videos, or longer, more general videos?

Additionally--please suggest topics.

I rather like the idea of a broader canvas. Not that I'd complain if the topics were more focused...

A topic you might consider is Brian's use of tuned percussion, maybe just in the sixties, or maybe up to and including SMiLE.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »

To get the ball rolling, I'll share a short clip that I put together this morning.  It had been a while since I'd played my clarinets, so I got one out this morning to see if I could still play.

I recorded some of the clarinet quartet sections from IJWMFTT.  The video series promises to dissect these moments much more fully and strip everything back to its individual pieces.  I will not be trying to recreate or cover -- it will be much more piecemeal and specific; but in a way it will be like creating my own version of the multi tracks I have wanted to hear for so long.

(I am not currently living with my bass clarinet, so there is some manipulation to the bottom voice but it doesn't sound so bad.)

https://soundcloud.com/joshilyn-hoisington/ijwmftt-clarinet-early-attempts
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 12:18:59 PM »

To get the ball rolling, I'll share a short clip that I put together this morning.  It had been a while since I'd played my clarinets, so I got one out this morning to see if I could still play.

I recorded some of the clarinet quartet sections from IJWMFTT.  The video series promises to dissect these moments much more fully and strip everything back to its individual pieces.  I will not be trying to recreate or cover -- it will be much more piecemeal and specific; but in a way it will be like creating my own version of the multi tracks I have wanted to hear for so long.

(I am not currently living with my bass clarinet, so there is some manipulation to the bottom voice but it doesn't sound so bad.)

https://soundcloud.com/joshilyn-hoisington/ijwmftt-clarinet-early-attempts

Sounds great to me, JH, top and bottom (isn't that what they call the chalumeau?).

I hope you and your bass clarinet are reunited soon!

(And I hope someone else chimes in now.)

Looking forward to more.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 03:11:44 PM »

For another episode, let's say, it could be "The synthesizers of Beach Boys '85", where I would seek out access to the keyboards used on that album and demonstrate them.

As someone who loves that album and the sound of the synthesizers used on it, I fully fully support this endeavor. And I would totally watch/listen to other videos you make.

Will you be releasing these on YouTube? Or perhaps a podcast medium?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 08:25:03 AM »

I'm all for it and will gladly support the project.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 11:35:36 AM »

Hello again!!

So this is going to go ahead.  I am writing some episodes now and investigating how best to make this the best "product" it can be.

As such, I'm asking for help and input as I get things up and running.

First, I have started a Patreon page that I hope will eventually bring in some monetary help.  Would you mind having a look?  Not to pledge (although, gee if you want to, that would be amazing...) but to tell me if it seems like I'm describing the project well, and in a way that coould drum up support.

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=26715698

Second, what is your opinion:

I'm thinking of calling the series "I'm Grass and You're a Power Mower".  Too esoteric or just esoteric enough?

Third:

I will do a couple of taster mini-episodes to show people the basic idea, but the first major, proper, official episode I have planned is about guitars, focusing on how the Beach Boys went from a Strat and Jaguar surf band, banging power chords, to a style of music where guitars are used in a very unique way.  The centerpiece of the episode will be about Wouldn't It Be Nice (and that whole controversy, as it were) but will also touch on all of Pet Sounds, and some of the more innovative uses of guitar on Today, SD&SN, and Smile.  I will demonstrate the parts on a variety of guitars.  Sound cool?

Fourth:

What would you like to see?  What moments on Beach Boys records (or any records coming out of the LA/Wrecking Crew milieu) would you like to see dissected musically?

Thanks!  Really appreciate any kind of feedback and I hope to create a really cool show that people like.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 12:30:04 PM »

The guitars on "Let Him Run Wild"...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »

The guitars on "Let Him Run Wild"...

I may touch on those in my first blockbuster video!  LHRW might get its own very special episode, too, since it's such a landmark.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »

Hello aeijtzsche.

First: the description on the Patreon page looks great to me. Maybe the last sentence should be a little more hard-hitting, perhaps something like this:

Access to these instruments costs money, but if supporting me enables you to learn in detail about their place in your favorite productions, it will be money well spent!   

Just a thought...

Second: wow, that's some title! It's certainly eye-catching (and very clickable in a signature). So yes--go for it!

Third: sounds very cool!

Fourth: I still think tuned percussion in BW '60s productions (or just PS) would be fascinating. But c-man's choice suits me fine.  Wink

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 12:34:17 PM »

I've put together a low-production value preview video to get the ball rolling and give people at least something to watch while I organize to do the first episode properly.  I hope you enjoy it.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 01:59:48 PM »

I've put together a low-production value preview video to get the ball rolling and give people at least something to watch while I organize to do the first episode properly.  I hope you enjoy it.

Cool video--and a great promise of things to come! I'll post it at my "hobby" board and at Hoffman. Wink
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:07:48 PM by JK » Logged

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »

Thanks!

And I also think that tuned percussion (and exotic percussion in general) is a great idea for a show.  No lack of interesting uses of Marimba, Vibes, Xylophone, Glock, etc. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 09:59:17 PM »

Thanks!

And I also think that tuned percussion (and exotic percussion in general) is a great idea for a show.  No lack of interesting uses of Marimba, Vibes, Xylophone, Glock, etc. 

Not to mention temple blocks...which may not technically fall in the category of tuned percussion, however I think the argument can be made that in Brian's case, they do - along with the plastic orange juice cups - 'cause of they way he uses them (two tones, or more, in the case of "GOK").
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2019, 12:19:28 AM »

Thanks!

Not to mention temple blocks...which may not technically fall in the category of tuned percussion, however I think the argument can be made that in Brian's case, they do - along with the plastic orange juice cups - 'cause of they way he uses them (two tones, or more, in the case of "GOK").

It was the temple blocks in "IJWMFTT" that gave me the idea! I still swear the second note in that sequence is two played simultaneously...

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2019, 06:27:48 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:52:41 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx