gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:27:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2020 Live Thread  (Read 55571 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2020, 11:06:26 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbLvZhP0BOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrHHL52utC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CiBJlBCCoE

All things considered, Brian sang very well at his first show of 2020. His introduction of River Deep was more than I got at his November Milwaukee show (not a word).

Nice setlist. Brian's voice sounded mellow. The band sounded stellar as always. Alan kicking ass needless to say.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2020, 03:50:32 AM »

I’ve said it before, leave the pre show interviews to Al. Listening to that interview I doubt anyone would have been persuaded to go out and buy a ticket.
Or else coach the interviewer on how to handle Brian and what to expect from him.  It is possible to get a great interview out of him, but it has to be done the right way. 
"Don't ask any questions that require more than one word answers"?

My highlight was this exchange (based off memory, words may be slightly different)
"what does your wife mean to you"
"well she inspires me to write music"
"are you still writing to this day""
"no I haven't written for a couple of years"

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »

Love and Mercy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Hxaf04XUc

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2020, 02:41:12 PM »

I wonder if Brian and Al, plotting the formation of a group during their time at El Camino College, could have ever imagined that they'd still be playing together 60 (!) years later.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2020, 08:02:08 PM »

I'd imagine most of Brian's thoughts in the 1960's about his future were spent thinking he probably wouldn't even make it to the 1970's, let alone his music.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »

All tickets for the show are 50% off...just received an email from Ticketmaster. About half the seats are sold at this time...still spots right in the front row available, and on the other hand, you could get a seat for as low as eleven bucks for this show now.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »

All tickets for the show are 50% off...just received an email from Ticketmaster. About half the seats are sold at this time...still spots right in the front row available, and on the other hand, you could get a seat for as low as eleven bucks for this show now.

Thanks for the heads-up!  I'd bought tickets the day they went on sale and had good seats, but was just able to call Ticketmaster and exchange them for first row. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »

I wonder if Brian and Al, plotting the formation of a group during their time at El Camino College, could have ever imagined that they'd still be playing together 60 (!) years later.

I am very grateful that they are!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:33:30 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2020, 12:58:01 PM »

...and on the other hand, you could get a seat for as low as eleven bucks for this show now.

Yikes...

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »

Over saturation

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2020, 06:05:56 PM »

Over saturation

It's more than that (although it is true). The venue was too large, it's in the middle of the week...in the middle of the winter, and is vaguely billed as "Greatest Hits Live", and if we're being honest with ourselves, Brian's live show does not seem to have the best reputation in live music circles right now.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2020, 06:51:50 PM »

Over saturation

It's more than that (although it is true). The venue was too large, it's in the middle of the week...in the middle of the winter, and is vaguely billed as "Greatest Hits Live", and if we're being honest with ourselves, Brian's live show does not seem to have the best reputation in live music circles right now.

Just to compare, I had a look at tickets remaining for Mike’s DC show in April.  Lots of tickets sold around the perimeter of the venue, but still loads of tickets in the front section, which are going for $125 each, if I recall correctly.  That’s just way too much. 

I really don’t understand why Brian is playing this venue though.  There are so many nice, prestigious theatres in DC that he could have easily filled, even on a weeknight. 
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2020, 07:19:27 PM »

Over saturation

What are you basing that on?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2020, 04:18:39 AM »

Is there a promo code or something to get 50% off? I only see them at the original discounted price.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »

Is there a promo code or something to get 50% off? I only see them at the original discounted price.

I did not receive the email RubberSoul referred to (I had bought tickets for this show when the originally went on sale) so I don't know if there is a code or not.  However, I called Ticketmaster yesterday to try to upgrade my tickets.  What they ended up doing was cancelling my original order so I could buy new tickets.  The cheapest seats available when I looked yesterday were $23 each, not $11, and the most expensive were just over $100 (aside from the verified resale tickets, which were still going for as high as $400 a pop). 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2020, 03:28:08 PM »

It came to my Junk Mail with an offer code. When I deleted it, it is GONE (since it was in junk mail, I don't let TicketBastard into my inbox) ...I should have thought to share the code here, my apologies.

Eleven Dollars came from me dividing the cheapest seat ($23) in half ($11.50) and just being lazy about typing fifty cents.

I totally agree that Mike and Bruce's booking at the Anthem is just as overly optimistic. Both bands can sell out a 1,000 seat theatre in any major city on any give night with no problem. BUT, without the attraction of a co-headliner, special anniversary type show, or a REUNION, they simply will not be able to consistently fill rooms of the next tier up.

What am I basing the reputation of Brian's live shows on? Folks I talk to at shows, reviews I read, this very board...need I continue?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2020, 04:39:12 PM »

Man, his voice just gets more tired and tired every year. He wasn't half bad on Love and Mercy from Miami but...he sounds like a nearly 80 year old man would sound  Embarrassed
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2020, 04:41:03 PM »

Probably because he is near 80 years old.

Just sayin'

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2020, 05:42:12 PM »

I think its time for Brian to give up the ghost on his live shows.  It pains me much to say that, but it seems to be abundantly clear that he is surrounding himself with more vocalist to take some of the burden off.  Between Al and Blondie and Matt taking some leads that he himself might not sound the best on or leads that he never sang lead on to begin with, sometimes its quite heart breaking to see him on stage.  With everything that he has been through and with is advance age sometimes it just seems unfair to see him out there.  With what can be seen on youtube it appears his shows seem to be declining in length and in quality, which will most likely effect ticket sales of future events.   I consider myself a hardcore fan of all things Beach Boys related but I would never pay the asking price for these greatest hits shows based off what I have seen. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2020, 06:49:09 PM »

I just want Brian to do what Brian wants to do. If he likes being out there, he should be out there. If ticket sales go down and he's forced to sit his ass at home for the duration of his life (which some people really want), I guess that's what will happen. (and I say "sit his ass at home" because he's said recently he doesn't have any plans to record, so besides touring he's not left with too many options).

One thing I will say, Mike and Bruce sound like sh*t on their YouTube recordings as well - in fact, much of my cell phone recordings of live Brian don't sound good at all....yet when you're there in person you're experiencing something totally different than what your phone captures. You're listening to a recording from a microphone less than the size of a grain of rice picking up amplified audio from a plethora of speakers - it's gonna sound bad. And I totally concede that it would sound better if Brian weren't nearly 80 years old. But he is nearly 80 and thats what we're gonna hear when we go to his shows.

Again, I just want Brian to do what he wants to do - if he wants to watch re-runs of Jeopardy on Netflix for the rest of his life, he absolutely should. He owes us fans absolutely nothing. But I also think if any of us were in his family, and we were trying to force Brian to quit touring (and he didn't want to quit), that would be a shameful thing to do.

Many (probably all) of us have seen firsthand an elderly person in our families age into their 80s/90s. It is a sad thing to witness, and many questions are raised during this time. Should an 85 year old with jittery hands and bad reflexes drive a car? No, because it puts people's lives in danger. Keeping them from driving can make them depressed. It sucks but you're possibly saving lives doing this. However, you want an elderly person doing as much as they can to keep active - it keeps them from depression, it gives them exercise, anything mentally stimulating is good. Sitting in a chair all day without moving gives you blood clots, watching TV all day does nothing good for your brain activity, not doing what you love (be it wood cutting, mowing the lawn, or singing some songs to a crowd) can send you into a depression.

Anyways, my point being, if Brian wants to be up there, I think that's why he's up there. His family probably sees the benefits of it, Brian isn't harming anyone by getting up there singing shows. I guess if you think he's being forced to tour against his will, then yeah I can see why you'd want to force him to quit touring. But if you logically think about how members of his family (close and extended), circles of friends, doctors, etc all don't protest his touring, that alone tells me that he's up there doing what he wants to do and it's healthy for him to do (the bad back he has on stage is the same bad back he'd have to deal with at home).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2020, 06:52:25 PM »

Cue the "Brian should hang it up" debate again.    Dead Horse

Seriously, if the man wants to tour to give himself something to do and hang around with friends, let him.  If his act offends your sensibilities, stay home.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2020, 08:39:58 PM »

If he does get tired of touring, though, he should consider hosting a radio show.  Playing vinyl - i'm sure Brian's never done a download.
"This is my favorite Beach Boys song, California Girls - cause it's about girls!"

"This song was the flip side of Good Vibrations, and it's called Somebody Hand me a Candy bar, and then we'll have World Peace"

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2020, 06:15:39 AM »

Over saturation

What are you basing that on?

Regardless of how one feels about Brian's shows, or about whether he "should" be touring or not, I think there's plenty to base this on.

To start with, his most sympathetic, sometimes overly-forgiving fans online have, in the last few years, understandably shown some concern about the quality of his live performances. Again, I'm putting this as neutrally and sympathetically as possible. Ardent fans have shown concern and/or have noted his more challenged performances of recent years.

More to the general industry (touring industry and/or "music industry" in general), Brian's shows for several years now have received more critical reviews, and last year he certainly had a very impactful and very public postponement of a block of tour dates where he announced he was having difficulties. He then came back and did some additional dates. I think he was rightly commended by critics/writers/fans for bringing his issues to the fore and being open about his challenges. But I think that episode, coupled with shows before *and* after that episode displaying Brian continuing to have mixed/challenged performances on stage, has certainly impacted his reputation as a live act/tour. Clearly, he's still getting bookings. So whatever went down last year didn't devastate his rep or ability to book shows. That's good.

But there certainly shouldn't be any incredulity regarding why perhaps some 2020 shows might not be selling well. As outlined above, it isn't just his "rep" in the touring industry. This has happened now and then for many years now. Sometimes a show is just booked with poor timing, or sometimes not enough time given to sell tickets, or too large a venue is booked, or a market that won't support a show as much is booked. Add in some random luck of the draw, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2020, 06:23:51 AM »

Cue the "Brian should hang it up" debate again.    Dead Horse

Seriously, if the man wants to tour to give himself something to do and hang around with friends, let him.  If his act offends your sensibilities, stay home.

I think this topic is pretty current and an ongoing thing, and it's clearly complicated. I think people should remain respectful and not veer into hyperbole if they are concerned with how Brian's doing on stage.

But I don't think, especially at this stage, it's a topic that isn't worth delving into. Again, assuming everybody remains respectful (not only of each other, but of Brian and his band as well).

The idea that a long-time, understanding, sympathetic fan might wonder if Brian should still be touring is an idea that I think is worth at least simply discussing. I don't think anybody says such things lightly. I also think it's about more than simply offending one's personal sensibilities. There's a point where protective fans feel like an artist's legacy and dignity are being tested with increasingly challenged live performances. There is also something to be said for artists being respectful for the money and time fans invest in seeing these shows.

I mean, *is* there a point where observers/fans/critics *would* be justified in saying maybe an artist should hang it up? What if they stagger on stage every night, don't remember any words, randomly yell at band members or audience members, etc.? I'm not saying this is descriptive of Brian's shows at all. I'm trying to figure out if there's a line where it *is* okay for fans to ask this question aloud. If an artist comes on stage, seems angry or bored and disengaged, and instead of singing spends two hours on stage doing a crossword puzzle, is it *then* okay to say maybe they shouldn't be touring, even if they want to continue to do so?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2020, 09:43:48 AM »

I don't see this as a Brian should retire thread or a The Beach Boys vs Brian Wilson in show quality debate.  In my original post I tried my best to be as objective and narrow to the topic as possible.  I believe there is and should be room to delve into the discussion of the quality of a Brian Wilson or Beach Boys show.  Yes there are many with strong feelings to either side of the debate however we as fans should not have reservations about discussing any assessments we can see of the show.  I view this as more of an honest discussion based off of fellow fans perceptions and feelings and observations.  While yes its my opinion that Brian should consider retiring form live shows, I do not believe that it would make me any less of a fan of his.  There are many people here with varying and astute and educated opinions, that we would be wise to consider. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx