gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
652773 Posts in 26083 Topics by 3718 Members - Latest Member: CarlWilsonFan101 December 10, 2019, 01:03:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2020 Live Thread  (Read 5576 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2019, 02:09:50 PM »

Look at it this way...what do you think Brian would rather have?
  - day after day of sitting in his chair watching Wheel of Fortune
or
 - being on stage with an amazing band, doing loving renditions of his songs, when people leap to their feet applauding, cheering, yelling "I love you, Brian!"

The shy smile I saw after GOK at the Milwaukee show gives me the clear answer. 

I've said it before here and I'll say it again - people are thinking about 'retirement' in the way that one would retire from a 9-to-5 time-clock-punching job.  Why do people retire?  To get away from the daily grind and do more leisurely things.  That has never been Brian's life.  It's not like he's going to take up golf or build furniture in his basement to travel the country in an RV (though he kinda is doing this now in his tour bus!)  I doubt he's ever lacked the time for non-music pursuits.  Brian himself said (can't remember if it's in his book or in an interview) that he tours so that he doesn't sit at home on his ass. 

So let him be.

From what I've heard, he likes Wheel of Fortune AND Jeopardy.  So, don't sell that short.  LOL

Seriously, though, I think you're right.  And having witnessed BW at one of shows a couple months ago as well as at David Leaf's UCLA event, it's clear to me that there's a huge amount of  love and camaraderie between Brian and his long-time band members.  He's "one of the guys" with his group.  And Al Jardine?  They've been friends for more than 60 years.  Let's not underestimate how much of a social thing touring is for him.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »

Look at it this way...what do you think Brian would rather have?
  - day after day of sitting in his chair watching Wheel of Fortune
or
 - being on stage with an amazing band, doing loving renditions of his songs, when people leap to their feet applauding, cheering, yelling "I love you, Brian!"

The shy smile I saw after GOK at the Milwaukee show gives me the clear answer. 

I've said it before here and I'll say it again - people are thinking about 'retirement' in the way that one would retire from a 9-to-5 time-clock-punching job.  Why do people retire?  To get away from the daily grind and do more leisurely things.  That has never been Brian's life.  It's not like he's going to take up golf or build furniture in his basement to travel the country in an RV (though he kinda is doing this now in his tour bus!)  I doubt he's ever lacked the time for non-music pursuits.  Brian himself said (can't remember if it's in his book or in an interview) that he tours so that he doesn't sit at home on his ass. 

So let him be.

Both you and Juggler hit the nail on the head. I just started reading Brian's book (about a quarter of the way through now) but he has a great line regarding touring:

"The truth is that I will never really be comfortable up there, but I know how to tough it out and get through it. And whether I'm comfortable or not, it's a place where I can be what I am."

In I Am Brian Wilson he details his fears about performing in front of people - he talks about how scary it is to hear the voices when he's up on stage (and how this distracts him a lot from performing). But he also talks about how the Wondermints have become family to him - the jokes they share on the road, the feeling of control he feels (that he lost with the Beach Boys back in 60s) - from what I gather from the book, he feels like a leader again. The book gives a great perspective on why he dislikes performing but also why he likes it. As with anything in life, it's not black and white.

In the wake of the ever-quieting vocal minority who thinks Melinda and the band are deviously raking in the cash with this 'Weekend at Bernie's' type scheme, it's nice to see an outpouring of support and logical posts regarding the matter. As for me, today I got my tickets for a BW show in January - if the September and October shows are any indication I think it's going to be one hell of a great concert!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

The Beach Boys legacy is still being mortared to this day...it has a solid and unbreakable foundation of incredible songs that tower above most bands, yet some bricks are more brittle and ugly than others (even some bricks put down more recently)...thus is the nature of any entity that continues to exist. You are not defined solely by your good achievements in life, you're also defined by those unpleasant moments too. This law of life, thankfully, helps keep us all in check.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx