gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:58:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2020 Live Thread  (Read 55599 times)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2019, 06:16:01 AM »

I don't post often, but decided to throw in my opinion.

None of us "know" the reasons that Brian does or doesn't do things.  Or why ANYONE does or doesn't do things.  How many times do people around us do things that make absolutely zero sense to us?  "Why the hell is he going out with HER?"  "Why doesn't she just quit her job if she hates it so much?"  "Why did they buy that terrible house?"  "Why does he spend so much time on a freaking Beach Boys message board?"  It's hard enough to figure out ourselves, without trying to figure out what other people are doing and why they do it.

I'm nearly 67 now.  I'm sort of "retired", but not "working" makes me feel unproductive and somewhat useless.  My kids are grown up and don't "need" me like they did 15 years ago.  Having a job that I don't particularly like has it's pro's and con's.  I'm being productive and earning money, rather than just sitting on my ass and watching "Lord of the Rings" for the 27th time. 

People that are close to Brian probably have a much better guess as to why Brian tours than do people on a message board.  After the experience of Eugene Landy's involvement. my guess is that the people who are close to Brian are more "on guard" about anyone who may be trying to "force" Brian to do anything that he really doesn't want to do.  My opinion is that another "Brian being forced to do things" wouldn't be able to happen ever again.

But, what the hell do I know...
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2019, 07:01:29 AM »

I'll say it again. The most likely correct answer is that he used to hate touring, it is obvious that he still hates touring, but nobody is forcing him to do it - he does it on his own because he has decided that it is best for him. Him saying that he likes touring now in his 70s holds little merit, because he really doesn't have any other answer to logically give the public.

The people saying that "he looks miserable up there most of the time" are correct. And so are the people saying that he is not being forced into anything.

"Hey Brian, do you like touring as a 77 year old?" "No, it's the absolute ***ts."
"Hey Brian, do you like your cousin Mike?" "No, he is a whiny scumbag piece of trash."
- 2 answers to really dumb questions that Brian would NEVER EVER give the public
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »

I'm not sure Brian's ever been the sort of guy to act entirely autonomously, "the master of his own destiny", that sort of thing. Just the way people are.

Climbing into the bus every day when you're a multi millionaire probably loses its shine after a while.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »

It’s not the 70s anymore though , although at least you’ve explained a bit why you belittle Brian at every possible opportunity.  Time to let some of that aggression go.
I would never belittle Brian Wilson. That is the point. The man has given us everything and more; the music just flowed out of him for many years, he was tuned in to the channel. IMO, that alone should have earned him the right to do whatever he wants to do; he's a human being, not a machine to be turned on and off at will.
I look at the videos from recent concerts and he looks absolutely miserable, as if he would rather be anyplace but up on that stage. I recognize it is considered blasphemous to say that here, the home of those who believe everything spewed out by the Wilson camp without question. "Oh, Brian says he wants to tour, so obviously we have to believe what he says".
Right. Brian has a history of saying what he thinks the people around him expect him to say. If I believed everything Brian has ever said, then I would have to believe he should never have been separated from Landy, because Brian himself said he didn't want their partnership terminated.
So I keep looking at those concert clips on youtube, and I just see a guy in pain, looking miserable. I think he is doing the best he can, but I feel sad for the guy, ESPECIALLY after all he has given us.
Maybe i'll get banned here now. That's fine.

Thank you for at least responding back. Thing is, sadly, Brian’s going to look and feel that way regardless if he’s at home or on stage. He’s  the one pushing himself. Personally I’d rather him retire from the stage and stay in the studio....but that’s not my decision nor any one else’s but Brian’s .

Otherwise, rab, kid,  and the others made the point better than I can already

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:00:43 AM by ♩♬🐸 Sorry Entertainer ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2019, 07:38:35 PM »

I guess I should go back and watch some of the recent concert clips on youtube.
But first I need to drink some Kool-Aid.  Shocked
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2019, 07:48:32 PM »

Pathetic reply.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2019, 08:43:24 PM »

But first I need to drink some Kool-Aid.  Shocked
Pathetic reply.

Agreed.

Drinking Kool-Aid, my ass. Hell, I (along with others in this thread) have said we’d rather Brian retire from touring. Lonely Summer I’d strongly would like to know if you’re an asshole or just being willfully ignorant. I’m done sugarcoating this.

Before you go running with your tail between your legs crying about how we’re running away anybody criticizing Brian’s performances let it be known that is completely crap. I have a serious issue with you acting like Brian is incapable of doing anything for himself. Not once... not ONCE have you answered why those around Brian would be doing this to him. And it’s not $$$ either; if you think so , then son I have to school you on how tours work in 2019, and what goes into getting them insured.

I’m drinking Kool-Aid. Whatever. Sounds like you’ve been drinking beverages of a different sort, if you’re  going to come at me like that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:31:31 AM by ♩♬🐸 Sorry Entertainer ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2019, 12:29:28 AM »

Well said.
That's  why the the whole being forced to tour bs is just that. It doesn't make ANY sense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2019, 05:38:41 AM »

I decided to check out his most recent videos thanks to your post, and I was not disappointed. I'll even link some for others to check out:

From September, here is Brian doing a really sweet cover of 'God Only Knows': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_wx8EMcIYI
Here is a montage of a September concert where he is completely in control and into the performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxHzXpmk-VU
Last month, toward the end of this video Brian sings an amazing lead on 'Love and Mercy': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDtd9Z2Y8Wo
Brian is hitting all the notes in this September cover of Heroes and Villains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNexCUgqjc8

I fully admit that in the past Brian has looked miserable at times on stage. But these most recent concerts (after his postponement due to mental health wellness) he is looking and sounding really good. Honestly, after seeing these videos I looked up tour dates for 2020 and see that Brian will be really close to my area for one of the dates, if I'm free I'm gonna go to that concert. So thanks again Lonely Summer! Enjoy your drink!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2019, 08:31:08 AM »

Hey Rab, you are the man! Thanks for posting those great vids!! Our guy sounds terrific, huh? This has got to be one of the best shows on the road for sure. The whole group is so damn tight and Brian sounds as good as he did in 2015! How about Matt with those incredible high notes?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »

Matt sounds amazing, I mean the whole band is so on point!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »

I decided to check out his most recent videos thanks to your post, and I was not disappointed. I'll even link some for others to check out:

From September, here is Brian doing a really sweet cover of 'God Only Knows': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_wx8EMcIYI
Here is a montage of a September concert where he is completely in control and into the performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxHzXpmk-VU
Last month, toward the end of this video Brian sings an amazing lead on 'Love and Mercy': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDtd9Z2Y8Wo
Brian is hitting all the notes in this September cover of Heroes and Villains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNexCUgqjc8

I fully admit that in the past Brian has looked miserable at times on stage. But these most recent concerts (after his postponement due to mental health wellness) he is looking and sounding really good. Honestly, after seeing these videos I looked up tour dates for 2020 and see that Brian will be really close to my area for one of the dates, if I'm free I'm gonna go to that concert. So thanks again Lonely Summer! Enjoy your drink!

I agree that he was hitting the notes on Heroes and Villains, but then he forgot to sing the rest of the song and just sat there looking tired and worn out.
He really should retire :/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »

I agree that he was hitting the notes on Heroes and Villains, but then he forgot to sing the rest of the song and just sat there looking tired and worn out.

What on earth are you talking about? He sings the "Children Were Raised" section and "Sunny Down Snuff" line which basically finish the song.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »

Some people just dig in their heels and refuse to be budged.  Wasting your time trying to convince people like that that there's even the possibility of their being incorrect.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2019, 07:52:34 PM »

Watch out! You can't say that around here!
I absolutely love Little Richard, but I saw footage from his last concert, Vegas, 2012 or 13...and I felt bad for the guy. His band was cookin', and he gave it his all, but he just couldn't do it anymore. Couldn't sing with the fire he used to have, couldn't move at all - confined to a wheelchair.  So I was kind of relieved when he retired after that. So I guess that means I don' love Little Richard anymore.
Even Chuck Berry sounded pretty bad at the end.
There will come a day when all of us can't do things we used to do. It's not fun, it's just reality.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2019, 11:51:35 PM »

Brian sounds quite good on that version of H&V, but his phrasing is really off a times.

Edit: Did anybody catch the odd Rhapsody In Blue reference at the very end of FFF?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:58:52 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2019, 02:41:23 AM »

I absolutely love Little Richard, but I saw footage from his last concert, Vegas, 2012 or 13...and I felt bad for the guy. His band was cookin', and he gave it his all, but he just couldn't do it anymore. Couldn't sing with the fire he used to have, couldn't move at all - confined to a wheelchair.  So I was kind of relieved when he retired after that. So I guess that means I don' love Little Richard anymore.
Even Chuck Berry sounded pretty bad at the end.

Well, that was a long end for Chuck. He sounded bad for quite some time.
Interesting thing about Richard: I agree abut his last concerts but he then showed up on a discussion about his faith a couple of years ago, bald and without make up, and he was full of energy. It's probably the whole stress from touring and doing concerts that are too much. Certainly no shame when you're his age and been through the stuff he has been through. But I was relieved that he seemed so alive.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2019, 06:16:14 AM »

Ya know what’s funny? People bitching about Brian being supposedly controlled but then wishing their own control over Brian (ie if they were in charge they’d recommend Brian to retire right now). This isn’t a dig at TwentyTwenty but people like Lonely Summer who are constantly going on about Brian having zero free will but yet also wishing Brian would retire. But Brian is in control and obviously wants to be touring (again, like the Jeff Beck sessions where he shut down, if he didn’t want to do it he wouldn’t even get on the tour bus). So you want Brian to be in control of his life but you also don’t want him to decide to keep touring? Gotcha.

I’ve said it many many times before: I want Brian to get back in the studio to record an album (instead of being on the road constantly). But that is obviously not what Brian wants to do right now, or else he’d be doing it. Brian should do what Brian wants to do, he’s nearly 80 and has lived one of the most amazingly crazy lives ever...he’s got every right to wake up and decide to perform a concert - he also has every right to quit touring.

You’re right, Brian should have absolute control over his life...so instead of wishing him into retirement perhaps just wish that Brian should do whatever he wants to do. And based on very simple logic and facts, it’s my belief that Brian is doing exactly what he wants to be doing right now.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2019, 07:54:50 AM »

Brian sounds quite good on that version of H&V, but his phrasing is really off a times.

Edit: Did anybody catch the odd Rhapsody In Blue reference at the very end of FFF?

Yes, I think Darian does it all the time now.  Sometimes you can hear it well and other times it gets kinda drowned out. I absolutely love it.  Not only does it sound great musically but it just works so well thematically too - a tribute to one of Brian's heroes worked into one of Brian's most famous compositions. 
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »

Ya know what’s funny? People bitching about Brian being supposedly controlled but then wishing their own control over Brian (ie if they were in charge they’d recommend Brian to retire right now). This isn’t a dig at TwentyTwenty but people like Lonely Summer who are constantly going on about Brian having zero free will but yet also wishing Brian would retire. But Brian is in control and obviously wants to be touring (again, like the Jeff Beck sessions where he shut down, if he didn’t want to do it he wouldn’t even get on the tour bus). So you want Brian to be in control of his life but you also don’t want him to decide to keep touring? Gotcha.

I’ve said it many many times before: I want Brian to get back in the studio to record an album (instead of being on the road constantly). But that is obviously not what Brian wants to do right now, or else he’d be doing it. Brian should do what Brian wants to do, he’s nearly 80 and has lived one of the most amazingly crazy lives ever...he’s got every right to wake up and decide to perform a concert - he also has every right to quit touring.

You’re right, Brian should have absolute control over his life...so instead of wishing him into retirement perhaps just wish that Brian should do whatever he wants to do. And based on very simple logic and facts, it’s my belief that Brian is doing exactly what he wants to be doing right now.

I just had a moment to get back and read this thread. Thanks OSD for the kind comments. It's strange to see people thinking Brian can be forced to do things at this point in his life. Under Landy's meds (prescribed by a doctor buddy of his who never saw Brian, while Landy wasn't authorized to prescribe), Brian wasn't autonomous. It's been a long time since then, with those around Brian being the ones who got him away from Landy. Yet this seems to be lost on people.

As a side note, when did David Leaf ever put words in Mike Love's mouth? He quoted others describing what Mike said or did who were present at the time, and described those comments and scenarios as such. I think that's called journalism. David knows what's ethical and legal and what isn't at least as much as anyone here. He's been sued by Mike and won. There aren't many who can say that. 

In the end, if you really, really want a vote in whether Brian performs or not, you have it. People buy tickets to shows, or they don't.

If you want Brian in the studio, I understand that. But if there's one thing I've learned, wanting Brian to do something doesn't make it happen. Oh, how I know that...When I was too exhausted to go on, friends stepped up to support Brian when I asked. They continue to do it to this day. Everyone, including Brian's band - well, maybe best reflected by his band - has learned to adapt to that. He could decide he wants to sing something or not. He could decide to record tomorrow, or not. I believe the common quote is, "Brian's going to do whatever he does." We just adapt. So far, it's been worth it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »

Fantastic post, Debbie. One thing I'd like to add to those thoughts about his band, is that I've been able to spend a small amount of time with some of the band before and after some shows: the amount of absolute joy these guys have for the music and their willingness to happily talk with fans about this or that is awesome. I know many others here can attest to their gracious, kind-hearted natures. Anywho, that some people think these guys are merely using Brian for a paycheck is a pretty awful accusation.

As for Brian doing another album: I would love for him to do it, but I also want him to do whatever he want to do...and frankly I'm very happy he's still touring because it gives me another chance to go see him in person next year.

By the way, with complete sincerity, thanks so much again Lonely Summer. I wouldn't have checked on his tickets had you not talked about viewing Brian's recent concert videos (which I was thoroughly impressed with) - I'll be going to see him in a couple months and I'm so excited for it!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:33:55 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2019, 06:45:50 PM »

Yeah, Darian has always thrown that in since Brian started touring 20 years ago.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2019, 06:48:24 PM »

"Hey Brian, do you like your cousin Mike?" "No, he is a whiny scumbag piece of trash."
- 2 answers to really dumb questions that Brian would NEVER EVER give the public
I mean, he sort of did here. Maybe the greater context of the original video would change the meaning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA61dD0dTYg
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2019, 07:19:31 AM »

I mean, he sort of did here. Maybe the greater context of the original video would change the meaning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA61dD0dTYg

One of the greatest videos that YouTube has to offer. The comments are so good as well. What Brian said!! Questions?? 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2019, 01:38:32 PM »

Look at it this way...what do you think Brian would rather have?
  - day after day of sitting in his chair watching Wheel of Fortune
or
 - being on stage with an amazing band, doing loving renditions of his songs, when people leap to their feet applauding, cheering, yelling "I love you, Brian!"

The shy smile I saw after GOK at the Milwaukee show gives me the clear answer. 

I've said it before here and I'll say it again - people are thinking about 'retirement' in the way that one would retire from a 9-to-5 time-clock-punching job.  Why do people retire?  To get away from the daily grind and do more leisurely things.  That has never been Brian's life.  It's not like he's going to take up golf or build furniture in his basement to travel the country in an RV (though he kinda is doing this now in his tour bus!)  I doubt he's ever lacked the time for non-music pursuits.  Brian himself said (can't remember if it's in his book or in an interview) that he tours so that he doesn't sit at home on his ass. 

So let him be.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx