gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:55:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noven Jaisi  (Read 17847 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 03:21:41 AM »

Thanks! Didn't know about that. I couldn't find the BBs-footage on youtube. Did they perform live or lip-synch?

EDIT: Oh wait, is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1UqDnY7as

If it weren't for the missing intro this would be my favorite Beach Boys TV appearance, even though it is playback. It's so colourful and happy. Beautiful.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:37:26 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 07:31:14 AM »

Thanks! Didn't know about that. I couldn't find the BBs-footage on youtube. Did they perform live or lip-synch?

EDIT: Oh wait, is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1UqDnY7as

If it weren't for the missing intro this would be my favorite Beach Boys TV appearance, even though it is playback. It's so colourful and happy. Beautiful.

Wow, I have always loved the psychedelia of that BBs performance but had no idea that the two Dons introduced it.

Pretty sure that this Midnight Cowboy parody then was from the same episode:

https://youtu.be/-kEQ3ndLhq8

Too bad The BBs weren't part of a movie parody segment. Missed it by that much.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:31:41 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »

Noven just shared a video for LBWL, I'm not sure what the intent is but it's really well made. Link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shEtVIETr_Q
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 09:39:54 AM »

Noven just shared a video for LBWL, I'm not sure what the intent is but it's really well made. Link below.

I never understood the lyrics of this song. Why is he looking back with love on segregation, assassinations etc?

rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 09:55:02 AM »

I never understood the lyrics of this song. Why is he looking back with love on segregation, assassinations etc?
[/quote]

Well, it states "It was the best of times, the worst of times", "Sounding fury, sounds of silence". It's playing with the contrast.

The song ends with "Bitter-sweet reflections that we're thinking of". I think the message is that the 60s had its ups and downs, but we're looking back with love.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »

I think NJ has done a great job. Call it (ahem) a labour of love.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 03:35:19 PM »

The line "Good Vibrations, Assassinations" with the Zapruder film playing at the same time is just odd to me. I get that there is contrast like rickymyfataar says, but it doesn't really work too well in video form (it doesn't really work well in song form either). This peppy "Lookin back with love" line is playing with imagines of MLK smiling in the background in a song that talks about his assassination. I mean, the song/video shows Charles freakin Manson and the message of the song is to look back on all of this with love. I'm honestly confused too.

Too bad Noven is completely locked down to Mike Love's side of things. He obviously has some great editing talent, but being hitched to Mike Love's wagon is kinda limiting given the solo output material.

Also, Noven, if you read the comments on this site, you may want to edit the hashtag #MikeLove to something more descriptive? The hashtag link just takes you to a bunch of videos of the reggae artist Mike Love.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 05:35:20 PM »

The line "Good Vibrations, Assassinations" with the Zapruder film playing at the same time is just odd to me. I get that there is contrast like rickymyfataar says, but it doesn't really work too well in video form (it doesn't really work well in song form either). This peppy "Lookin back with love" line is playing with imagines of MLK smiling in the background in a song that talks about his assassination. I mean, the song/video shows Charles freakin Manson and the message of the song is to look back on all of this with love. I'm honestly confused too.

Too bad Noven is completely locked down to Mike Love's side of things. He obviously has some great editing talent, but being hitched to Mike Love's wagon is kinda limiting given the solo output material.

Also, Noven, if you read the comments on this site, you may want to edit the hashtag #MikeLove to something more descriptive? The hashtag link just takes you to a bunch of videos of the reggae artist Mike Love.

The JFK footage is in very awkward taste. It's also very odd because the song has such as upbeat, happy sound throughout. All of the chords and Mike's vocal are of a "happy" type nature, in complete contrast with the JFK/MLK lyrics, which are now brought to life visually through stock historical footage that has been synced to the song for some reason 38 years later.

I still can't help but to think of the chorus Jackson Browne's Sombody's Baby, and Fast Times at Rigdemont High, when I hear Looking Back with Love. I cannot believe that those two songs weren't influenced by one another in the songwriting process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk2NHZukTYg
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 07:21:46 PM »

If Noven is as talented as some are saying, why is he doing this kind of schmaltz for Mike Love? This is ham-fisted "nostalgia" that plays on a smoothed-out version of American history that wouldn't be out of place in a 7th grade history textbook. Reduce major events to a paragraph, if that, complete with a stock photograph.

But that's just the thing, I think...Mike Love has been writing lyrics that tap into this same cracked rear-view of history as nostalgia for decades, in fact I'd say the majority of his original output from the 1980's onward tries to recapture things that were relevant in 1963. I wish he'd expand more and look beyond the nostalgic bent of his lyrical focus, but for some reason that's all he seems able to consistently write about, or it's what he may think "fans" are expecting to hear.

It was like the "50 Years Of Good Vibrations" promotional schwag sold in 2016. It amped up the focus on psychedelia and imagery which was at that time directly influenced by and connected to psychedelic drugs, and the actual history was that Mike himself has been 100% against that scene and that image, yet used the same imagery from the same scene and activity he's railed against for decades to promote a tour. It's like history can be reduced to quick-cuts of imagery and iconography as long as we don't dig too deep into the actual people and events, and instead emblazon it on T-shirts, posters, and in this case a promo video to move product or promote something. I don't get it, but that's the state of affairs.

This video just plays into that good-old-days nostalgia bag even further than the song itself, which is forgettable if not totally anachronistic in the worst way. It sounds like an outtake from 1988. And it does sound like "Somebody's Baby", which in itself for everyone who has seen the film will recognize as a pretty devastating emotional trigger for the deeper messages which that film expressed when that song is matched with the scenes under which it plays...and that's when editing film to music is done on a truly artistic level that sticks with viewers for decades after the initial viewing.

So yes, it's another Mike Love promo. I wish Noven would branch out, and I wish Mike would write some new material that doesn't try to remind everyone of fun in the 1960's sun. That's been done.

Exactly my thoughts too, well, most of it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 10:19:20 PM »

I don't really see the confusion with the lyrics. The 60s had its ups and downs, looking back on it with love is certainly better than looking back with hate. Let's take the Vietnam war or the assassinations, what the hell is the point of looking back with hate and hostility, Let us remember our veterans with love and honor them. Let's look at the good that JFK and MLK stood for while the were still alive. In my point of view, I think that's what the writers had in mind when they wrote the song.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »

I don't really see the confusion with the lyrics. The 60s had its ups and downs, looking back on it with love is certainly better than looking back with hate. Let's take the Vietnam war or the assassinations, what the hell is the point of looking back with hate and hostility, Let us remember our veterans with love and honor them. Let's look at the good that JFK and MLK stood for while the were still alive. In my point of view, I think that's what the writers had in mind when they wrote the song.

Who says the only other option is to look back on it in hate? It just weird to see Charles Manson in the video (and referenced in the lyrics) immediately followed by "lookin back with love". No one here is saying that we need to look back in seething anger at Charles Manson. But on the flip side I don't think anyone here finds anything remotely lovable about looking back on the "Aquarian age running helter-skelter".

As for JFK and MLK, while I agree with you that looking back on the good seems to be the point of the lyrics, it just doesn't work for me when it comes to the actual song. The backing track half sounds like a happy 80s advertisement jingle for JC Penney. And as Century Deprived points out, the chords and vocals are in complete contrast with the subject material.

PS, I hope no one takes this criticism as Mike Love hate - he didn't even write the song.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 09:57:00 AM »

I can see your point rab2591 and I hope you can see the point of view the writers had when they wrote the song, regardless of what you think of the quality of the song.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »

True, Mike did not write this song which the video was made for - It's from his solo album where Mike has one co-writing credit across the entire group of songs on that album.

Just to clarify, my points were about Mike's tendency to write a majority of his lyrics over the past 40 years or so about this smoothed-out nostalgia trip view of history, and it suggests he is either unwilling or incapable of looking at the present or the future. Nevermind constantly looking back to the early 60's and writing as if he were still cruisin' around Hawthorne or hitting the beach. If that's what he feels comfortable writing about, fine. But if you look at his original song catalog since the 70's, this theme of "lookin back" dominates his lyrics, and in this case, the title song of his first solo album which he didn't even write. But the song fits as if he did write it. "Good Vibrations...assassinations...", that could have come from Mike's pen, and it's surprising it didn't.

I'll repeat my thoughts on the video, it plays into the whole notion of looking back on history with nostalgia and good vibes to a fault, to where clipping together existing 60's video is supposed to...what...take us back to the good ol' days? It's similar to many of Mike's solo efforts in the way he's a man well past middle age still writing about getting out of his boring school classes and cruisin for honeys with the top down, and whatever other imagery is present in these solo songs that was done when the Beach Boys were still under 21 years old.

That's just my own view, I still wish Mike being the lyricist that he's touted as being would have (or would period) expanded out from these weird 60's beach and dragstrip fantasies and put pen to paper on some different themes, perhaps more relevant to his own age and experience. And again, if Noven would branch out and do other things beyond clipping stock footage together for Mike's promos (how about a *Beach Boys* video???), his creativity might be put to better use versus this kind of retro nostalgia schlock centered on Mike.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 02:30:24 PM »

guitarfool2002,

you say "That's just my own view, I still wish Mike being the lyricist that he's touted as being would have (or would period) expanded out from these weird 60's beach and dragstrip fantasies and put pen to paper on some different themes, perhaps more relevant to his own age and experience."

I think Crescent Moon, Cool Head Warm Heart, All I Wanna Do, Big Sur, Only With You, Ram Raj, Meant For You, etc (I could go on and on) certainly qualify, as being lyrically expansive from the beach and dragstrip fantasies. All I Wanna Do,  Big Sur and Only With You are  masterpieces, in my opinion, both lyrically and musically.

Saying Mike just writes Surfing lyrics, is like saying The Beach Boys only made Surfing music. Sure, at a glance it could look that way, but the truth is quite the opposite. Do It Again aside, it's not like Mike was writing about hot rods and hamburgers as his contributions in the Brother/Reprise era. He was contributing great stuff like the songs I already mentioned, as well as All This Is That, Don't Go Near The Water, and more. To say Mike just wrote surfing lyrics, is to neglect a large portion of his career. Sure, he was ready and eager to return to surf music with MIU, but that was post Endless Summer, when everything was different. Note, Al wasn't eager to pump out stuff like Lookin At Tomorrow post-Endless Summer, Mike wasn't the only one who was subject to this.
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2019, 03:53:20 PM »

My opinion: the lyrics are terrible due to the obvious rhyming and the lack of nuance.

The lyrics describe a bunch of issues where people were killed and then says "NOW we are looking back with love."

I don't get it. Kind of a privileged vision-- "Weren't the old day's great."

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2019, 04:14:31 PM »

My opinion: the lyrics are terrible due to the obvious rhyming and the lack of nuance.

The lyrics describe a bunch of issues where people were killed and then says "NOW we are looking back with love."

I don't get it. Kind of a privileged vision-- "Weren't the old day's great."

While the term "tone deaf" at times in today's day and age gets thrown around excessively IMO, I believe it's the most perfect way to describe the song, its vibe, awkward contrast of all sorts of things.

Now that I think about it, the song plays like Mike's vision of a proto Forrest Gump type of thing. But in this case, it's one doofus walking through history talking about a whole bunch of events as though he's in a museum looking at exhibits while wearing an early '80s Walkman headset with happy, dorky music playing in the background, completely detached and divorced from the actual impact or resonance of these events.  And it also plays kinda like one of those "VH-1 Decades: The '60s" types of 2-hour documentary specials, only that Mike is trying to run a whole bunch of quickie references into 1 smushed together 3-minute-ish song.

I'm not saying the answer would have been for Mike to just omit all of the bad events from the song, and just talk about good events of the '60s. That'd probably be awkward too. But one would hope that if the desire was to just discuss a bunch of historical occurrences of a decade, that there could be some nuance, emotion, and reflection woven into the song, both lyrically and musically.

The tone deafness comes when there's little to no reflection or purpose (again, IMO) to these lyrics being thrown together other than to simply talk about events of a decade. Throwing in very serious events, including the Manson stuff which by all accounts detrimentally psychologically effected his cousin, and just throwing that lyric in there like it ain't no thing, followed by a happy "two girls for every boyyyy" lyric is just baffling and weird, weird, weird. Yes it was a weird decade with highs and lows for everyone (including Mike), but it comes across as cringey. The visuals that this new video has added only amplify that effect.

The fact that Mike's last name is Love gives the song a hokey double meaning, almost making it like Mike is a history professor, and is saying "class, you're going to look back at past events with me, Dr. Love", so it's hard to take anything in the song seriously right off the bat. It's an incredibly strange zone to be in as a listener. Frankly, the tone deafness of the song in contrast with its lyrical content might make this song rank as one of weirdest released songs in the history of this band, and that's saying something.

Far cringier than the song or the music video is the mimed live performance which contains a mimed finger gunshot during the "assassinations" lyric.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:38:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 04:16:02 PM »

guitarfool2002,

you say "That's just my own view, I still wish Mike being the lyricist that he's touted as being would have (or would period) expanded out from these weird 60's beach and dragstrip fantasies and put pen to paper on some different themes, perhaps more relevant to his own age and experience."

I think Crescent Moon, Cool Head Warm Heart, All I Wanna Do, Big Sur, Only With You, Ram Raj, Meant For You, etc (I could go on and on) certainly qualify, as being lyrically expansive from the beach and dragstrip fantasies. All I Wanna Do,  Big Sur and Only With You are  masterpieces, in my opinion, both lyrically and musically.

Saying Mike just writes Surfing lyrics, is like saying The Beach Boys only made Surfing music. Sure, at a glance it could look that way, but the truth is quite the opposite. Do It Again aside, it's not like Mike was writing about hot rods and hamburgers as his contributions in the Brother/Reprise era. He was contributing great stuff like the songs I already mentioned, as well as All This Is That, Don't Go Near The Water, and more. To say Mike just wrote surfing lyrics, is to neglect a large portion of his career. Sure, he was ready and eager to return to surf music with MIU, but that was post Endless Summer, when everything was different. Note, Al wasn't eager to pump out stuff like Lookin At Tomorrow post-Endless Summer, Mike wasn't the only one who was subject to this.

Umm, Guitarfool specifically said that "the majority of [Mike's] original output from the 1980's onward tries to recapture things that were relevant in 1963" and he even said it a second time in the post you quoted him from: "Just to clarify, my points were about Mike's tendency to write a majority of his lyrics over the past 40 years or so about this smoothed-out nostalgia trip view of history" - given it's a couple months away from being 2020, the last 40 years would be 1980 onward. Bringing up Big Sur, Meant For You, Only With You, completely ignore what Guitarfool was talking about. So with that said, let's just look at Mike Love's solo single output since 1980. I will highlight in yellow any song that is a 50s/60s cover, mentions the 60s, or mentions the beach:

1981: "Looking Back With Love"
1981: "Runnin' Around The World"
1982: "Be My Baby"
1982: "Be True To Your Bud" (as sad as it is, it is basically a cover of a Beach Boys song from the 60s).
1982: "Da Doo Ron Ron"
1983: "Jingle Bell Rock"
2006: "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo"
2007: "Hungry Heart"
2015: "(You'll Never Be) Alone on Christmas Day"
2017: "Do It Again" (with Mark McGrath & John Stamos)
2017: "Unleash the Love"
2017: "All the Love in Paris" (with Dave Koz)
2017: "Darlin'" (with AJR)
2018: "It's OK" (with Hanson)

Only 4 songs out of 14 don't mention the 60s, are a cover from the 50s/60s, or mention the beach. And these are all singles - the songs that Mike Love wanted to be heard the most.

I'm very certain that Guitarfool is aware of the great lyrics that Mike has written over his entire career, which is probably why he is even more flabbergasted as to why Mike has spent so much of his time post-80s writing music about the 60s or covering songs from the 60s. Even Mike's Unleash the Love with the songs you mention (Crescent Moon, Cool Head Warm Heart, and Ram Raj) were released with a 2nd CD full of auto-tuned slathered covers of Beach Boys songs from the 60s (except for one song which is a nostalgic look at Brian). Just saying that it's hard to argue with GF's point given the mountain of evidence in Mike's discography that supports what he says.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 11:32:03 PM »

IMO the lyrics are in poor taste/idiotic or both.

Lyrics were by D. Parker and it's the only writing credit in his career - https://www.discogs.com/artist/6746654-Daniel-Charles-Parker

Could it be Mike using a different name for some reason?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:45:57 PM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »

There is footage of Dennis at what appears to be an early 70s concert at around 3.15. Does anyone know where is this from??
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2019, 10:29:21 AM »

Surely from the lots of concert they shooted for the In Concert LP AD. That includes the Santa Barbara clip of Endless harmony doc (Sail on Sailor)
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2019, 08:27:31 PM »

BBs Footage Saga, where can I watch it?  footage of the band in the early 70s are so hard to come by.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2019, 04:07:18 AM »

That footage has not appeared in any public medium, only clips on documentaries as Endless Harmony.

As for avaliable footage of Early 70's : Something Else (Good Vibrations and Cotton Fields),  David Frost Show (Wouldn't It Be Nice and Cool Cool Water), Pop 2 (Country Air, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Cell Block nº9, Their Hearts were full of Spring, Cottonfields, It's About Time), Good Vibrations From Central Park (Heroes and Villains, Okie from Muskosgee, Forever, It's About Time, I Get Around, Good Vibrations), OGWT (You Need A Mess of Help), Music Unlimited (Don't Go Near The Water, You Need a Mess of Help), Good Vibrations from London (Do It Again, Wild Honey, Help Me Rhonda), Chicago New Year Rockin Eve (Good Vibrations, Darlin, Wishin You Were Here, Surfer Girl).

That If We add Clips of Documentaries: To the 1972-73 footage we can add the 1971 rally footage that appeared on youtube and in An American Band (Set to Student Demostration Time). Add Astroray Super 8 Movies and we can end With Billy Hinsche DVD.

That's Much, 85% of the things I told you are in youtube.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »

For whatever it's worth, the song and the video capture the bright and dark sides of the 60's, of which there were many.  It's a pop song, not meant to be the subject of a college lecture on the tumultuous 60's.  The video is pretty good, for what it purports to be.  It has a lot of interesting images.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2019, 07:30:35 AM »

Thank you BBs Footage Saga. Been looking for that Something Else clip of Good Vibrations, is that on youtube?
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2020, 05:38:51 AM »

I'm Late but Here we are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7FiRsDNVnA

Oopsie, it's blocked in the USA

Ok, I Published a Google drive in the description for those that can't see the video
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:46:06 AM by BBs Footage Saga » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx