gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:51:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noven Jaisi  (Read 17848 times)
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2019, 08:36:11 AM »

This showed up on my feed today.

The Beach Boys: Wild Honey Tour Opening Film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RkbeN07wWQ

Apparently Noven Jaisi who works for Mike has recently done work with Queen and Leif Garrett. This Wild Honey video is definitely better than his previous BB related work.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 02:24:01 PM »

It's from 2017, a 2 year old video. How is this news anyway? Wonder if MELECO got permission back then for Noven Jaisi to include footage of Al and Brian as part of their promo video for Mike's touring.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 11:19:52 PM »

It's news because it's a really well done film that has just hit Youtube.

Why would permission be needed from Brain and Al? The copyright at the end says Capitol / EMI / Meleco Records & Brother Records.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:31:07 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 06:30:11 AM »

Man, a ton of footage of original Beach Boys in this, considering it's a promo for Mike's tour, right?

Reminds me of the ad for one of his shows I edited (they promoted the Mike and Bruce show using all the original Beach Boys...which is a pretty unfair way to market what you're selling/promoting).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 06:57:03 AM »

Man, a ton of footage of original Beach Boys in this, considering it's a promo for Mike's tour, right?

Actually it's an opening video for the concerts not a promo.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 09:16:18 AM »

It's news because it's a really well done film that has just hit Youtube.

Why would permission be needed from Brain and Al? The copyright at the end says Capitol / EMI / Meleco Records & Brother Records.

The first line is debatable as all opinions are. It's a guy who edits existing video promoting himself for hire, who has a history of creating fake trailers and clips using copyrighted video and audio and somehow getting away with it minus the usual copyright and usage issues that most people in and out of the "industry" need to follow.  The fact is the film was used by Mike on tour in 2017, which is two years ago...the same year Brian and Al on tour outperformed and outgrossed Mike's touring as the Beach Boys.

Why? The first image on this video says "MELECO Records", which as we know is Mike's company, *not* Brother/BRI/Capitol. If someone's image and voice, not to mention their music, is used as part of a commercial presentation for which tickets are sold, permission is needed.

I was just asking out loud because perhaps Brian and Al did allow it for this one, or maybe they didn't, I don't know. But if you go back to Mike's big-screen video presentations of years prior to 2017 - again I may be mistaken and would have to watch them again if that's possible - there were some absences in those big-screen concert videos that did not seem to be an issue with Jaisi's 2017 video.

Purely opinion here - I'm not a fan of gimmicks and schtick, especially when it comes to "Youtubers", no matter how much success some of these folks may experience as a result. Read into it any way you please. I'm also not a fan of closing down the comments section of YouTube and not allowing viewers to post opinions, which is a practice that both Jaisi and Mike seem to share on more than a few of their listings, this most recent one not yet included.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »

Quote...the same year Brian and Al on tour outperformed and outgrossed Mike's touring as the Beach Boys.

Wow, seriously?

As far as the YouTuber goes. I wonder why he never does a Brian tour video?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »

Quote...the same year Brian and Al on tour outperformed and outgrossed Mike's touring as the Beach Boys.

Wow, seriously?

As far as the YouTuber goes. I wonder why he never does a Brian tour video?

Point #1: Absolutely true, according to Pollstar's end of year results for 2017. Despite some attempts to counter that fact by suggesting Pollstar got it wrong or something, the numbers are what they are. Brian's tour outperformed and outgrossed Mike's in 2017.

Point #2: I've been wondering the exact same thing for 4 years or however long it's been since Noven Jaisi first showed up with a trailer for something called "Still Tourin'", a fantasy Mike Love touring video documentary which apparently he dreamed up himself. Followed by featurettes and trailers on everything from ESQ magazine, to Mike's book, to Jeff Foskett.

Go figure.  Huh

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 06:02:29 PM »

Prior to reading this thread, I'd never heard of Noven Jaisi. Here's a link to a list of "People I work with" which is heavily Mike Love and touring Beach Boys centric ... https://www.novenjaisi.com/clients.

Although he's got quite a few projects on Youtube, I wouldn't call him a "YouTuber" pre se; it appears that the majority of his videos are for paying clients, including Mike Love.

IMO the guy is a very talented video editor.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »

Point #2: I've been wondering the exact same thing for 4 years or however long it's been since Noven Jaisi first showed up with a trailer for something called "Still Tourin'", a fantasy Mike Love touring video documentary which apparently he dreamed up himself. Followed by featurettes and trailers on everything from ESQ magazine, to Mike's book, to Jeff Foskett.

Go figure.  Huh

Oh yeah, I remember that now. So the question is, was Mike a paying client for the Still Tourin' video, or did Mr. Jaisi do it on his own, with the result that Mike was impressed and became a paying client?

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 06:54:00 PM »

I remember very vividly seeing the film on the opening night of the 2017 Mike and Bruce tour at the Royal Albert Hall in London.  Honestly, the video is so good and uses so much old footage that it had me hyped up, almost thinking I was about to see Brian, Carl, Al, Mike, Dennis and Bruce walk onto the stage - as opposed to just Mike and Bruce (with all due respect).  The video throughout the whole concert was very well done (no idea if Noven Jaisi was involved in all of it or just that opening clip) but it was also incredibly strange in that it featured many shots not just of Carl and Dennis, but also of Brian and Al, all presented in a very nostalgic, rose-tinted glasses kind of way.  I remember sitting there thinking that I wanted to say to Mike “you know, two of these guys are still alive, and you could be touring with them right now, instead of performing with a different band in front of old footage of them”.  The whole thing is extremely odd.     
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 10:00:23 PM »

I remember very vividly seeing the film on the opening night of the 2017 Mike and Bruce tour at the Royal Albert Hall in London.  Honestly, the video is so good and uses so much old footage that it had me hyped up, almost thinking I was about to see Brian, Carl, Al, Mike, Dennis and Bruce walk onto the stage - as opposed to just Mike and Bruce (with all due respect).  The video throughout the whole concert was very well done (no idea if Noven Jaisi was involved in all of it or just that opening clip) but it was also incredibly strange in that it featured many shots not just of Carl and Dennis, but also of Brian and Al, all presented in a very nostalgic, rose-tinted glasses kind of way.  I remember sitting there thinking that I wanted to say to Mike “you know, two of these guys are still alive, and you could be touring with them right now, instead of performing with a different band in front of old footage of them”.  The whole thing is extremely odd.      

Pretty much sums it up. Sad but true, it's always gonna be pretty impossible to overlook that fact and just "enjoy" the footage as though we are horses with blinders avoiding what is unpleasant. Using footage of multiple living members who were edged out of the band makes the idea of using said footage at shows just weird.  I'd love to know how people somehow get that out of their heads and pretend that's not the case. I have no such drug to make it so. Noven Go Showboat, indeed.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:03:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 06:45:11 AM »

Prior to reading this thread, I'd never heard of Noven Jaisi. Here's a link to a list of "People I work with" which is heavily Mike Love and touring Beach Boys centric ... https://www.novenjaisi.com/clients.

Although he's got quite a few projects on Youtube, I wouldn't call him a "YouTuber" pre se; it appears that the majority of his videos are for paying clients, including Mike Love.

IMO the guy is a very talented video editor.

I could be wrong, but I remember having the impression that he kind of started out as a "Youtuber", producing those cheesy, clickbaity fake "trailers" and whatnot, and one of his Mike/BB-themed videos caught the eye of Mike (or someone in his camp), and subsequently he has done some actual work for hire.

I think his work originally came to focus on this board when he did this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js3chYvh30M

It's a 2015 video titled "Still Tourin'" made to celebrate and/or promote specifically *MIKE'S* touring band. I don't know if at any point it was actually shown in public. But this video *understandably* troubled some fans because it mixes "C50" 2012 footage with post-2012 footage of Mike's band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 08:15:41 AM »

@rickymyfataar meant to say intro to the shows, not promo for the tour, it was early haha...thanks for the correction.

I remember very vividly seeing the film on the opening night of the 2017 Mike and Bruce tour at the Royal Albert Hall in London.  Honestly, the video is so good and uses so much old footage that it had me hyped up, almost thinking I was about to see Brian, Carl, Al, Mike, Dennis and Bruce walk onto the stage - as opposed to just Mike and Bruce (with all due respect).  The video throughout the whole concert was very well done (no idea if Noven Jaisi was involved in all of it or just that opening clip) but it was also incredibly strange in that it featured many shots not just of Carl and Dennis, but also of Brian and Al, all presented in a very nostalgic, rose-tinted glasses kind of way.  I remember sitting there thinking that I wanted to say to Mike “you know, two of these guys are still alive, and you could be touring with them right now, instead of performing with a different band in front of old footage of them”.  The whole thing is extremely odd.     

This is exactly it. What really seemed odd were the soundbites from Brian himself...that's the moment where I was thinking, Brian could be up on stage talking/singing himself during the whole concert ya know.

Idk, that whole thing is odd. Noven seemingly came out of nowhere focussing almost solely on Mike's touring group. Not knocking it, but who in the world would make a hobby out of making promo videos for Mike's touring version of the Beach Boys? And I would say the same thing if someone were making fake promo videos for Brian's band...To me, it only makes sense if Noven was targeting Mike's band, trying to get a job out of it from the get-go. The whole thing is pretty interesting; I wonder what actually happened.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »

I would have to imagine (though this is just guessing) that one modus operandi in posting these fake trailers to YouTube is to actually get a gig out of it. A proof-of-concept sort of thing; essentially a "pitch." Which is fine, but the problem with YouTube is that it's being "published" for everybody to see. Which then also, either incidentally or purposefully, also serves to promote the thing the video focuses on. And has varying degrees of potential to mislead people into thinking something is official (or even REAL at all) when it isn't.

I see that, thus far, it doesn't appear Jaisi's fake Ringo Starr trailers have yielded an official gig making a Ringo documentary. If Jaisi were sending these "demo reel" type trailers to the intended subjects as a pitch, or even posting the stuff online set to *private* so only potential clients could see it, that would make sense.

But multiple videos *celebrating* specifically *Mike's* touring band (he's STILL TOURIN' after all these years!!!!) which use vintage footage of the other BBs and, more pointedly, a video promoting Mike's tour which uses C50 footage of the other guys, is just inadvisable. Frankly, I'm a bit insulted that BRI has someone out there issuing takedown notices on all sorts of Beach Boys content online, yet Jaisi using footage from a myriad of sources goes unchecked. Granted, now that he does official work (I guess?) for Mike, the proper clearances *may* now be getting obtained (though the recent video posted just shows a rather blanket copyright notice for Meleco, Brother, and Capitol, and actually shows "Capitol/EMI" which arguably doesn't exist anymore and is in fact Capitol/UMe).

To be clear, I don't think Jaisi's work is some huge, heinous blight on the BB world or anything. He's a guy making his own videos and trying to get official gigs out of it. To each his own, etc, etc. Gotta make a living, etc. It's also cool that folks like Alan Boyd are being encouraging for someone trying to break into the field.

But I don't think it's being too bah-humbug to not just fawn and gush over Jaisi's work. He's mainly showcasing editing work, using mostly commercially released material (and then what appears to be some material supplied by Mike), and whether Jaisi is a true "fan" or just a guy wanting to be a video guy, I'm not a fan of his demonstrated ambivalence (or igorance?) of blurring the line between Mike's touring band and *THE* band (meaning the core, historical band), versus the C50 lineup, etc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:17:20 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 10:00:02 PM »

Yeah I wonder what would happen if Noven started making videos for Brian. As in how would Mike take it? Judging by his website and Instagram, Noven and Mike are somewhat close.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 12:03:19 AM »

Granted, now that he does official work (I guess?) for Mike, the proper clearances *may* now be getting obtained (though the recent video posted just shows a rather blanket copyright notice for Meleco, Brother, and Capitol, and actually shows "Capitol/EMI" which arguably doesn't exist anymore and is in fact Capitol/UMe).

Good observation - as you say, Capitol/EMI no longer exists and in fact was acquired by Universal Music Group 7 years ago.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 06:38:57 AM »

Yeah I wonder what would happen if Noven started making videos for Brian. As in how would Mike take it? Judging by his website and Instagram, Noven and Mike are somewhat close.

Just tally up what he's done on his YouTube channel since 2015. Videos promoting Mike's tours, Mike's book, Mike's single, Mike's band, Mike's band members Jeff and Scott, ESQ magazine...

Not a single video on Brian, Al, or other Beach Boys that aren't in Mike's circle. For a Beach Boys fan, isn't that odd? The only appearances of Brian, Al, David, etc are as cameos or background in videos promoting Mike's various projects. And even his video "The Beach Boys: An American Band" (catchy title, I think it's been used before) is about Mike's backup band, not the Beach Boys.

That's what you get when you work for Mike I guess. All-in or goodbye?

I'm not trying to attack Noven himself, but it looks like he's 100% all-in on Mike Love centered projects and not the Beach Boys, otherwise he'd have content and testimonials beyond a near-total connection to Mike Love and MELECO.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 07:14:13 AM »

Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »

Judging by his website and Instagram, Noven and Mike are somewhat close.

Looking at Jaisi's Instagram, he implies that he was working with Mike's management since 2014...yet this quote from Andrew G Doe:

Mike's management say the video is nothing to do with them. Seems to be a fan creation, although they admit it's very well done.

claims that in October 2015 Mike's management knew nothing about Jaisi's video. Given the track record, I'm very inclined to believe Jaisi's account of things, so it's curious to me why management would deny the video had anything to do with them in October 2015 when it appears they did know of Jaisi and made things happen as far back as 2014. Also funny to remember the circus that followed with Andrew Doe claiming "schadenfreude" regarding posters asking some fairly straightforward questions about the odd circumstances around the video. Heck, Iian Lee even joined in to push back against people asking questions.

Anyways, this post has nothing to do with Jaisi, I'm really glad he is doing what he loves and he seems to have a lot of talent and drive...I really am looking forward to seeing where he takes all this. It's just interesting to see how people on this forum who are pretty close with Mike treated posters on this site because said posters merely asked some simple questions regarding the creation of the 'Still Tourin' video. In hindsight, it's beyond ironic the word schadenfreude was even brought up.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:18:17 AM by rab2591 » Logged

rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 08:55:31 PM »

For those saying the Wild Honey Opening is 2 years old, this one is new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdGZjZ41PuU
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 08:00:49 AM »

Judging by his website and Instagram, Noven and Mike are somewhat close.

Looking at Jaisi's Instagram, he implies that he was working with Mike's management since 2014...yet this quote from Andrew G Doe:

Mike's management say the video is nothing to do with them. Seems to be a fan creation, although they admit it's very well done.

claims that in October 2015 Mike's management knew nothing about Jaisi's video. Given the track record, I'm very inclined to believe Jaisi's account of things, so it's curious to me why management would deny the video had anything to do with them in October 2015 when it appears they did know of Jaisi and made things happen as far back as 2014. Also funny to remember the circus that followed with Andrew Doe claiming "schadenfreude" regarding posters asking some fairly straightforward questions about the odd circumstances around the video. Heck, Iian Lee even joined in to push back against people asking questions.

Anyways, this post has nothing to do with Jaisi, I'm really glad he is doing what he loves and he seems to have a lot of talent and drive...I really am looking forward to seeing where he takes all this. It's just interesting to see how people on this forum who are pretty close with Mike treated posters on this site because said posters merely asked some simple questions regarding the creation of the 'Still Tourin' video. In hindsight, it's beyond ironic the word schadenfreude was even brought up.

The 2014 date posted by Jaisi does indeed raise some questions - As does the commentary about making things happen. Is the date and timeline accurate as Noven posted it, or what was really going on?

The reason why this comes up is the reactions and pushback posted back in October 2015 and in later posts and threads here about Noven's videos did not seem to match what the actual topic at hand really was. These videos and trailers showed up, and fans were wondering what all of it was. The same thing happened with Ringo's fans, I think the Queen fanbase to some degree was feeling the same way...people wondering if there would be a new documentary, or if the trailer was for something bigger...people asking what these videos were, why were they being posted, who was doing it, etc. And the questions got met with the reactions here like the one posted above, not to mention insults and people here suggesting people asking were conspiracy theorists and the like.

Why that kind of reaction?

So to say Mike's management said they had nothing to do with it, when someone from Mike's management at least by the latter half of 2015 was associated with Noven, in 2014 or 2015 or whatever is the actual date...it's surely worth asking the question since it seems the information we were given at the time doesn't match until more info may come out.

That whole episode never sat well, again mostly due to the pushback and reactions from certain fans and posters here in response to fans wondering what was going on with these video trailers.

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 08:13:25 AM »

That's pretty awesome!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 02:02:51 AM »

That's pretty awesome!!

Where does the footage of Don Rickles introducing the Beach Boys come from?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 03:01:40 AM »

http://www.tv.com/shows/kraft-music-hall/don-adams-and-don-rickles-are-alive-and-well-and-living-in-california-170671/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx