gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:28:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves - The small things that grinds your gears listening to The Beach Boys  (Read 14792 times)
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:45:48 AM »

We all have some Pet Peeves! And even though the beach boys has their moments (which is quite alot), there must be some times when you react over some small (but significant) things in their songs.

I only had one in mind making this thread:
IMO - The drum on "Let's Go Away for Awhile" goes twice as fast as it should be between 0:16-0:27 and 0:45-0:58.

Do you have any?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:40:12 AM by Doobidoo » Logged

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »

I love "A Casual Look" but damn does Mike's poorly double-tracked lead vocal come roaring in too loudly. You can't tell me that he wouldn't have sounded better single-tracked and tucked into the mix! I'd love to remix this song. His double-tracking sounds better when he's harmonizing with Al on "Oh darling can't you see that I'm going overseas..." but that's to be expected. He's singing softer and in a lower register. So, this is my pet peeve: Why the insistence on double-tracking the majority of Mike's leads as his voice began to decline in the 70s? The more upbeat the vocal, and the higher in his vocal range, the more the double-tracking seems to exasperate Mike's nasally tone. Think - "in Captain Cook fashion, I can't deny it, I want to spend my winters on the Kona coast in Hawaii". When I hear Mike sounding like that, I think the double-tracking is doing far more harm than good. He also has some sloppy double-tracked vocals in the 60s which I think probably could have sounded better single-tracked. Though, I get that this is largely subjective. One more example..."Rock And Roll Music". While it's kind of a rigid performance, I think Mike sounds good on the verses (single-tracked), but not so much on the choruses (double-tracked). The single mix helps by centering the backing vocals and therefore not exposing Mike so much on the choruses. IMO.

Additionally, I hate the "false start" bass in the intro of "Kona Coast".
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 01:01:55 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 02:24:48 PM »

I'll get flamed but I hate the theremin on I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. Ruins the song for me.

And the cringeworthy lyric 'When I came up to stay with my gran' on Girl Don't Tell Me. Ugh.

But I adore Sumahama, so wtf do I know...  Air Quotes

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »

When the drums first kick in on "the little girl I once knew", there's a timing issue where the very first drum hit is slightly late and the second he comes in slightly early to compensate.

Always bugs me and could've certainly been remedied with just one more take!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »

When the drums first kick in on "the little girl I once knew", there's a timing issue where the very first drum hit is slightly late and the second he comes in slightly early to compensate.

Always bugs me and could've certainly been remedied with just one more take!

A big pet peeve of mind relates to that song as well - during the intro (and throughout the song) Carol's bass falls out on the third note (I think it's just too deep of a sound), and it just falls with a thud compared to the other notes. As someone with a decent subwoofer it kinda just kills the intro for me.

I forget how many takes that song had, but I think it was quite a few - so Brian probably got sick of trying to make it absolutely perfect.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 06:39:59 PM »

I always thought the fade out was too soon on the Help Me Rhonda single and Good Vibrations.

and as much as I love Carl, it sometimes bothers me that Brian let him sing the lead on some of his best and most personal songs. I simply prefer Brian's voice. Breakaway, This Whole World, and Our Sweet Love are a few examples.

some of Mike's vocals often get on my nerves. That's Not Me, Rock'n'Roll Music, and Airplane immediately come to mind. even so, That's Not Me is easily one of my top 10 BB songs.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 06:51:26 PM by bossaroo » Logged
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 07:55:34 PM »

Mike Love's vocal on Getcha Back... in fact on spot 45 seconds in "Can I ever get you back"  oh man, couldn't they have done another take of that... sounds so off and jarring Embarrassed

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 04:10:19 AM »

The drum on "Let's Go Away for Awhile" goes twice as fast as it should be between 0:16-0:27 and 0:45-0:58

Do you have any?

Does it? It doesn't change from what it was doing before...
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 04:38:47 AM »

The drum on "Let's Go Away for Awhile" goes twice as fast as it should be between 0:16-0:27 and 0:45-0:58

Do you have any?

You're completely right about that... I must change that into "in my opinion"

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 05:23:06 AM »

Mike Love's vocal on Getcha Back... in fact on spot 45 seconds in "Can I ever get you back"  oh man, couldn't they have done another take of that... sounds so off and jarring Embarrassed
The part that really gets me is when he sings "I'm getting tired..." . That "tired" is so off key that it grates on my ears every time.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »

When Mike Love bleats his way through a song. Just awful.  Thud

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 10:08:53 AM »

When Mike Love bleats his way through a song. Just awful.  Thud

No kidding?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »

Do you have any?

You're completely right about that... I must change that into "in my opinion"

That drum is hitting right on the beat,  playing 8th notes locked in time with the other instruments as 1-2-3-4-AND-ONE...I honestly have no idea what you're hearing as too fast unless you thought quarter notes would have been better.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 12:03:48 PM »

The part that really gets me is when he sings "I'm getting tired..." . That "tired" is so off key that it grates on my ears every time.

Similar to the frustratingly off-key (at least to my ears) singing on the lyric "landlocked town" on Still Surfin' at 0:08:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRuhY1r5GpQ
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »

The dissonant piano in the intro of Lana, as well as the lead vocal. This song and She's Got Rhythm are the only songs where I find Brian's falsetto overwhelming or shrill.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »

It's not really a peeve, but every once in a while I become aware of the whole group taking a breath in the middle of a song. Usually I can tune that out mentally, but once in a while it gets noticeable. They got better at breath control along the way.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »

The production and tempos of some singles in the 70s. I think they might have done better on the charts had they used the live arrangements on stuff like Marcella Mess of Help and SOS.

Also agree the Getcha Back lead is very sloppy. That may be one of the worse Mike leads on any hit
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »

Sllllow Adult Child song SIDOI. What dullfest. Roll Eyes

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »

The brutally fast fade on Your Summer Dream, a personal favorite song of mine. On they surpassed masters outtakes it goes on longer. I even enjoy the instrumental jamming the band does  I wish that went longer. I can’t get enough of that song and then it ends.

The horrendous backing vocals on wontcha come out tonight. They sound like crows!

Mikes off key vocals on Santa Claus is coming to town. Right when he enters. I think he had a cold or something but sheesh. Brian just do it or give it away!

Jack’s singing on a day in the life of a tree. I DO love the song. But I heard Dennis almost took the vocal and I’d kill for that.
Especially because I love his vocals during that period and Van Dyke is on there. Can you imagine Dennis and Van dyke around a mic at this time in their career? Can there BE more opposite people in a room together?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 03:44:03 AM »

Jack’s singing on a day in the life of a tree. I DO love the song. But I heard Dennis almost took the vocal and I’d kill for that.
Especially because I love his vocals during that period and Van Dyke is on there. Can you imagine Dennis and Van dyke around a mic at this time in their career? Can there BE more opposite people in a room together?

I think at one point I didn't like Jack's lead either. But I got more used to it after hearing that it was an artistic decision to have this shaky voice singing from the perspective of a very old tree....from that perspective it makes perfect sense. Then at the end of the song you hear the ultimate juxtaposition of that shaky voice with the insanely beautiful harmonies from Carl and Al.vI read that Brian cried in the booth when he heard that coda.

Also I completely agree about Woncha Come Out Tonight LOL

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 08:12:18 AM »

WHY didn't they do a retake of Dennis's spoken line on Auld Lang Syne Huh I appreciate they were trying to catch the spontainalty spontanuous innocence of it all but.. boy, it grates 50+ years later...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »

The horrendous backing vocals on wontcha come out tonight. They sound like crows!

I've always thought they sounded like frogs in that song! It's hard to not picture some late '70s Muppet characters voicing those background vocals. It's almost like it was an intentional parody of The BBs, by The BBs themselves. I've never heard the band's voices sound quite like that, before or since.

REALLY weird. Up there with the mystery of why Brian's voice sounds the way it does on Match Point of Our Love.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »

Oh.... and as much as I like Spring Vacation on TWGMTR, what's with that section at 2:10 when everyone appears to forget the lyrics ?!!!

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 02:12:16 PM »

Oh.... and as much as I like Spring Vacation on TWGMTR, what's with that section at 2:10 when everyone appears to forget the lyrics ?!!!

I've always felt the vocals in that section were totally unfinished and way unacceptably sloppy, probably to meet a deadline of releasing the album. It's like Joe Thomas had some partial takes and just chopped up some incomplete autotuned vocal waveform chunks to make try and make it sound finished. Totally bugs me too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:16:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »

I've always felt the vocals in that section were totally unfinished and way unacceptably sloppy, probably to meet a deadline of releasing the album. It's like Joe Thomas had some partial takes and just chopped up some incomplete autotuned vocal waveform chunks to make try and make it sound finished. Totally bugs me too.

Odd thing is, wasn't there a single version that came out with an intact (or more complete) middle-eight? I swear there's a version floating around that doesn't have this problem. Or maybe the single version was even worse than the album version Shrug

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx