gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike The Melody Maker  (Read 15088 times)
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2019, 03:47:17 PM »

There’s Love the lyricist and Big Sur, where he wrote the words and music but are there other Beach Boys songs where Mike wrote at least part of the melody or most/all of the music? I recall reading that Mike had written the melody for Let The Wind Blow and Anna Lee The Healer. Anyone know if this is true and of other examples?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:04:13 PM by BananaLouie » Logged

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:32:17 PM »

Sumahama and Everyone’s in Love with you.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 08:09:52 PM »

Allegedly All I Wanna Do.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 08:15:45 PM »

Brian has stated that Mike helped with the music of "Little Honda", so presumably his contribution there was melodic.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 08:37:51 PM »

According to the credits, Brian wrote the melody, Mike wrote the lyrics. Another lawsuit?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 03:56:25 AM »

I’ve heard this, too, although Brian may have assisted with the music aspect of the composition. Perhaps Mike was inspired by TM and may very well have composed some of the music for AIWD/Sunflower and Friends...Who Knows?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:10:11 AM by BananaLouie » Logged

maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 07:11:49 AM »

There’s Love the lyricist and Big Sur, where he wrote the words and music but are there other Beach Boys songs where Mike wrote at least part of the melody or most/all of the music? I recall reading that Mike had written the melody for Let The Wind Blow and Anna Lee The Healer. Anyone know if this is true and of other examples?

I have also read online that Mike wrote the music for "Let the Wind Blow," but to my knowledge he himself has never claimed that, only saying that he wrote the poem upon which the song is based and that Brian set it to music. (I believe Brian has said the same thing.)

By Mike's own account, his main musical contribution to Beach Boys songs was usually hook lines. For example:

* Mike composed the single-note "round round get around, I get around" part (based on "ba-ba-ba, ba-Barbra Ann") which Brian then turned around
* Mike credits himself with writing most of "Surfin' Safari" if I remember correctly, or at least the verse melody (plus lyrics, of course). Mike's account in his book actually understates his authorship a bit, but from what he says it's clear that he composed the majority of the copyrightable elements of the song.

I think it is true that Mike wrote the r&b style verses of "Anna Lee." I am less sure about "All I Wanna Do." It becomes both easier and harder to track Mike's contributions after about 1965 -- easier, because Mike increasingly got solo credits as he worked with Brian less, but harder, because Mike's book doesn't include as much detail about the songwriting and recording process after this point.

But his accounts in his book about his melodic contributions to the early stuff are very credible and detailed. You can hear a lot of Mike's musical frame of mind whenever they get into a kind of R&B vein with the vocal chants. I suspect he made a lot of musical contributions to the Wild Honey album.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:13:10 AM by maggie » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 07:24:09 AM »

I think it is true that Mike wrote the r&b style verses of "Anna Lee." I am less sure about "All I Wanna Do."
Agree, magie, AIWD isn't the type song Mike could be capable to write. & AL got simplistic melody in verses that fits Mike. Mike's main strength is lyrics, there he made impressive things.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 07:55:53 AM »

Well the track for All I Wanna Do was on the recent 1968 release-so Brian seems to have recorded that long in advance of Mike writing lyrics-I really doubt that Mike wrote that melody-especially as Brian was still quite involved when the tracking session took place-as compared to 1970
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 08:02:10 AM »

I'm sure Mike has refined a few melodies and bass parts over the years, but is there any evidence of him writing songs from scratch? I don't think he knows how.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 11:02:33 AM »

BE, of course he knows how. He received sole writing credit for stuff like Everyone's In Love With You, Brian's Back, Unleash The Love, etc...
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »

BE, of course he knows how. He received sole writing credit for stuff like Everyone's In Love With You, Brian's Back, Unleash The Love, etc...

You think Mike wrote those songs entirely on his own? On which instrument do you think he composed them on? I'm honestly asking. If I'm wrong, so be it. I just always assumed that people like Ron Altbach (and/or whoever else was in his orbit at the time) wrote most of the music for Mike's songs. I figured, he'd have an idea for a song, have some lyrics, but he'd have to enlist someone to actually write the music.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:51:43 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 12:15:29 PM »

Yeah, those songs all have relatively simple chord changes, they wouldn't require virtuoso-like playing to write.

Here's a video from Mike's FB page of him playing Crescent Moon on guitar. You can see he definitely doesn't have the chops of Carl Wilson or Al Jardine, but could definitely piece together a pop song.   https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/videos/1124214947657345/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 06:36:54 PM »

I’m hoping no one brings up Goin’ To The Beach. I do love the song, as sad as that sounds, and Mike may have had the idea and possibly the melody, but who added chords and backing vocal arrangements and then went uncredited? Brian.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »

I’m hoping no one brings up Goin’ To The Beach. I do love the song, as sad as that sounds, and Mike may have had the idea and possibly the melody, but who added chords and backing vocal arrangements and then went uncredited? Brian.

Face it, Mike Love is not a songwriter and whatever he's ''credited" with, he's had crutches provided to come up with "his" final product. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Brian didn't add something here and there to flesh out what the lovester couldn't come up with to make it whole. You have to look at Kokomo in which the song was basically already written and all Mike had to do was rewrite the words and easily change the rhythm of the original song and I'm sure he received help doing that alone. Credit can easily be given out as witnessed by WIBN which he did not deserve. Looking at his track record, most of "his" output has not been received well or totally ignored with most efforts being embarrassing at best.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 08:30:38 PM »

Yep, and there’s video evidence

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »

Mike Love does not possess the skills to write a simple pop song. He has, at BEST, a minimal understanding of musical theory. He has said many times how hard he has to focus just to sing a bass part. Anything that lists Mike Love as the sole author, is not telling the whole truth. Now sure, someone around all of these musical influences could surely hum up a melody and with the supervision of someone else, it could be set to a chord progression and vocal harmonies could be expanded on top of it. A good example (and this is about the only thing they remotely have in common) is Jim Morrison of The Doors. He would write these poetic lyrics, come up with these beautiful melodies in his head and then Ray Manzarek would have to sit there and figure out all the harmonies for him and Robby, so they could create the track.

As for Goin' To The Beach...that would be a big success for Mike Love. For Brian Wilson? Harmonizing that song is like knocking out a crossword puzzle.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 04:33:44 AM »

Yep, and there’s video evidence

I think Carl had as much to do with the musical arrangement of "Goin' To The Beach" as Brian...in that video, Mike mentions how he played the song for Carl, who then did a demo on the guitar. After that came the point where Brian added the vocal backgrounds at the piano.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 04:44:44 AM »

A good example (and this is about the only thing they remotely have in common) is Jim Morrison of The Doors. He would write these poetic lyrics, come up with these beautiful melodies in his head and then Ray Manzarek would have to sit there and figure out all the harmonies for him and Robby, so they could create the track.

Another good example would be Stevie Nicks...Lindsey Buckingham came up with arrangements for her F Mac tunes, therefore contributing a lot to how songs like "Landslide" and "Dreams" ended up sounding, but the sole writing credit goes to Nicks. I think it's a case of singers coming up with a melody and maybe adding simple three-note chords behind it, then a guitarist and/or keyboardist fleshing things out arrangement-wise.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 04:57:15 AM »

A good example (and this is about the only thing they remotely have in common) is Jim Morrison of The Doors. He would write these poetic lyrics, come up with these beautiful melodies in his head and then Ray Manzarek would have to sit there and figure out all the harmonies for him and Robby, so they could create the track.

Another good example would be Stevie Nicks...Lindsey Buckingham came up with arrangements for her F Mac tunes, therefore contributing a lot to how songs like "Landslide" and "Dreams" ended up sounding, but the sole writing credit goes to Nicks. I think it's a case of singers coming up with a melody and maybe adding simple three-note chords behind it, then a guitarist and/or keyboardist fleshing things out arrangement-wise.

To say nothing of Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band, particularly Drumbo (John French), who had to transcribe Beefheart's piano basics into something the band could play. Not putting Beefheart down--I love that man!--but the MB did so much for his songs and went entirely uncredited.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 05:45:02 AM »

You think Mike wrote those songs entirely on his own? On which instrument do you think he composed them on? I'm honestly asking. If I'm wrong, so be it. I just always assumed that people like Ron Altbach (and/or whoever else was in his orbit at the time) wrote most of the music for Mike's songs. I figured, he'd have an idea for a song, have some lyrics, but he'd have to enlist someone to actually write the music.

Mike has been playing keyboard/piano since he was a child.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 06:01:02 AM »

I refuse to believe that Mike Love wrote the middle-eight to Let The Wind Blow.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 06:55:39 AM »

Also with his Terry Melcher collaborations, Mike
must have played at least a minor role in shaping the song structures and melodies. However I think Brian deserved a credit on Getcha Back which is reminiscent of Don't Worry Baby. 

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »

Also with his Terry Melcher collaborations, Mike
must have played at least a minor role in shaping the song structures and melodies. However I think Brian deserved a credit on Getcha Back which is reminiscent of Don't Worry Baby. 

I think Bruce Springsteen deserves a writing credit too Grin half kidding, but that song sounds exactly like ‘Hungry Heart’ - which is funny because didn’t Mike do a cover of ‘Hungry Heart’?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 10:29:21 AM »

Mike Love does not possess the skills to write a simple pop song. He has, at BEST, a minimal understanding of musical theory. He has said many times how hard he has to focus just to sing a bass part. Anything that lists Mike Love as the sole author, is not telling the whole truth. Now sure, someone around all of these musical influences could surely hum up a melody and with the supervision of someone else, it could be set to a chord progression and vocal harmonies could be expanded on top of it. A good example (and this is about the only thing they remotely have in common) is Jim Morrison of The Doors. He would write these poetic lyrics, come up with these beautiful melodies in his head and then Ray Manzarek would have to sit there and figure out all the harmonies for him and Robby, so they could create the track.

As for Goin' To The Beach...that would be a big success for Mike Love. For Brian Wilson? Harmonizing that song is like knocking out a crossword puzzle.

Just to clarify the point in bold about The Doors: What has been and is still a misconception is how many of the Doors' songs were written by Robby Krieger, specifically those songs that are in perpetual rotation as played on classic rock radio. And by "written" that means words and music. As much as Jim is credited as the band's lyricist, consider how many words to the classic Doors hits were also written by Robby. And it was Robby who often worked out the chords and music if he didn't come in with those elements already formed, to which lyrics were added.

I'm just thinking Manzarek (RIP) is getting the credit more deserved by Robby in the quote above, I know it's off topic but worth pointing out. Robby was the unsung musical guru on a lot of the more popular Doors songs who also brought lyrics to those songs.

In terms of Mike Love credited as a sole author, I agree: He writes lyrics and adds hooks, and often after the musical structure of a song or idea is already in place. Just check comments from those including Brian, Andy Paley, etc going back decades...and also note how Kokomo came together, and consider Mike would often come in at the tail end to add some phrase to make a song "25% better" (for those who get that reference  Grin  ).

I'm still wondering how and why Altbach was left off the official credits for Mike's Christmas song a few years ago when even Mike's own website lists Altbach as a writer.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx