gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:58:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some recent thoughts/theories on C50 and possible potential reunions....  (Read 12268 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2019, 05:50:35 AM »

Saying Bruce is a strange dude is really an understatement. Because he certainly is. The reason he wants to stay in the Mike and Bruce band is because he does nothing in that band but clap hands and very very little on stage. And gets paid handsomely I'm sure. That's why he kisses Mike's butt all the time. It's his boss and it's a high-paying gig that he can be easily replaced at.
200% agree. Thanks to say it!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »

Nice pivot Nate! Focus on Bruce.   Grin

Regarding Bruce and C50...he got paid his salary to perform as he does with Mike. Any corporate decisions were made outside his sphere, as he is not a member of BRI, nor was he a partner in 50 Big Ones. Not much more to be said, is there?

Would fans have asked for a refund if he didn't show up at the C50 shows? Doubt it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2019, 08:48:33 AM »

Would fans have asked for a refund if he didn't show up at the C50 shows? Doubt it.

Well, personally I would have missed him. His voice is still quite strong (although some people say otherwise) and the blend of him and Al made for some Beach Boys magic during 2012. To me it wouldn't be a real Beach Boys reunion without Bruce, he's just one of them.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2019, 01:03:11 PM »

Agreed. The Bruce-Al blend was most noticeable, and most pleasant, to me in the verses, of all songs, "Surfin' Safari" during C50. Beach Boys magic, indeed.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »

Agreed. The Bruce-Al blend was most noticeable, and most pleasant, to me in the verses, of all songs, "Surfin' Safari" during C50. Beach Boys magic, indeed.
Mainly because he makes sure his mic is always placed in the right spot.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »

Saying Bruce is a strange dude is really an understatement. Because he certainly is. The reason he wants to stay in the Mike and Bruce band is because he does nothing in that band but clap hands and very very little on stage. And gets paid handsomely I'm sure. That's why he kisses Mike's butt all the time. It's his boss and it's a high-paying gig that he can be easily replaced at.
200% agree. Thanks to say it!

I nearly agree. If Bruce were removed or left the band, I don't think he'd be replaced. He isn't doing anything on stage that can't be picked up by others already up there.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2019, 10:54:25 PM »

Mainly because he makes sure his mic is always placed in the right spot.
LOL

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2019, 01:06:31 AM »

I totally find the clapping/prancing around the stage jokes funny as hell LOL

But in reality, yeah, Bruce's keyboard isn't too important (although seemingly important according my conversation to Totten), but his vocals are sure as hell important to The Beach Boys blend, in 1965 and still in 2019. Don't believe me? Check out this video of a Bruce-less Beach Boys show from 2017... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gizxcXadimQ
The band's vocals sound thinner, and quite frankly, less like The Beach Boys , and that's why Bruce has been a pretty crucial member, either vocally, instrumentally, or both for his entire tenure in the group.

Anyway, back to previous points...

1. At the end of the day I think Bruce continues to stay with Mike, and still perform at his age in general, for the following reasons... He obviously is a HUGE fan of The BBs as a fan, he seems to enjoy performing, looks like has a good time on stage (despite being a worn out d*ck after shows sometimes), and of course- the paycheck.

2. The demise of C50 being a "suits" oriented decision is obviously pretty unlikely, I think most reasonable people, would admit that the waters are pretty murky as to what happened, and it probably wasn't JUST Mike's fault.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2019, 05:26:15 AM »

One thing I will say about Bruce: he added such an incredible vocal sound to The Beach Boys music. What I mean by this: while Mike and Brian do sound different, they also sound similar during certain moments...there is definite variation but their tones can sound similar (even though Brian's falsetto is completely unmatched by anyone). And perhaps this is due to them being related? But when Bruce comes into the mix, it is this really great and unique sound that adds a whole other dimension to the music. The end of GOK is a perfect example of this.

Bruce's vocals on TWGMTR stand out so much (in a good way), you can really tell it is Bruce. Idk, he just adds a really unique blend to the palette of vocals in The Beach Boys. I'm beyond glad he was brought on board.

I can't comment on his current stage voice or what he does on stage, as I don't keep up with Mike's version of the band. But if he's anything like Mike and Brian, I'm sure he is getting tired, his voice is getting a bit more worn. I swear that Al found the fountain of youth because that dude sounds like he's still 25 years old.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »

How murky is it, Nate? Mike didn't want to do anything further with Brian, Al, and David so they continued playing and recording together into the next few years while Mike went back to playing his kind of shows and complaining about C50.

When there were three original members who expressed interest in doing something together moving forward, playing or recording more material in some capacity as a core group of original BB's, and speaking positively about the experience...then there's Mike who was mostly negative on both the reunion album and tour and had no interest in doing more...how murky was it? Mike was the one who chose to walk and badmouth both the album and the reunion, period, end of story.

I don't know where the logic in suggesting otherwise is coming from.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2019, 09:53:06 AM »

Regarding my earlier comments about Bruce and C50, it was a reaction and follow-up to what HeyJude posted about Bruce's comments before the tour, and how he seemed less than thrilled and put out the impression that he couldn't wait until it was over. The follow-up was simply "what if" Bruce wasn't into doing it...would fans have been upset enough to ask for a refund if Bruce chose not to either participate or continue? And I said I doubt it. It wasn't a moratorium on Bruce's position in Mike's band, or C50, or whatever...just a comment that he seemed pretty "meh" about the reunion before it started, and if he felt that strongly about it and decided to sit it out, I don't think it would be a fatal blow to the success of it.

The draw of the reunion was and still would be seeing the guys who were practicing in various garages and rooms in Hawthorne sharing the stage...all surviving members. And that's what the fans got.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:54:13 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx