gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:52:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys on "Happening '68" TV Show - "Wake the World" & "Do It Again"  (Read 17341 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 06:16:16 AM »

As I said-I have done some work on that-those particular Carson episodes were wiped-though it doesn't mean that someone doesn't have a kinescope taped off the TV.  I have audio of one of the two Carson appearances-singing Their Hearts Were Full of Spring.  Dick Cavett-wiped-as Guitar Fool notes.  Joey Bishop-they appeared twice on that show (Nov 1968 and Feb 1969) both erased.  I was happy to see that the 1968 Happening exists and I assume the 1969 one exists too (I have audio tapes of that appearance as well).  also-Sept 18 1968- Summer Scene with Brad David TV Show airs on WTIC TV in CT- with taped BBs performance.    Mike Douglas shows seems to exist-but two have not appeared on Youtube-May 9 1968 Mike Douglas TV Show, Philadelphia-Miming Friends and Little Bird and interview (audio exists and I have it)-probably taped in May around May 5-they are asked about student demonstrations.  Aug 29 1968- Mike Douglas TV Show, Philadelphia:  with Erskine Hawkins, Martha Raye, Jane Morgan and William F. Buckley Jr. Singing “Darlin”, “Wake the World” and “Do It Again” (clearly taped Aug 12-16-audio of this exists and I have it).  Mike Douglas asked them about Simon and Garfunkel-Mike says he likes what they’re doing and Do It Again- Mike-“It’s sort of a regressive song.  It goes back to our earlier surfing days.”  I did two articles about this in ESQ-which you should search out.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 12:41:42 AM »

A DVD release of all TV appearances by the Beach Boys would be a very welcome (including "Monster Mash" from the "Lost concert"). But if not already done, there's probably a lot to be done in regards to searching through archives of TV stations etc. But it definitely would be a very cool and imo very important release. We don't have too much footage of the Boys from that era.
I think it would be really cool if the copyright extension releases extended to film footage as well. Perhaps that would be the best opportunity to see some of what's out there.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 12:48:12 AM »

Speaking of tv appearances, several years ago somebody posted a short clip of the group singing an acapella portion of the song "Friends". I remember that the whole group was sitting down. The clip was in horrible quality, but it appeared to be in color. Does anybody have an idea of where and when the clip is from?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »

My initial guess would be one of the unbooted mike Douglas appearances or merv  griffin-but without seeing the host it remains a mystery-doesn’t look like the tonight show though
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 11:40:41 AM »

We discussed that appearance here several times in the past, I just need to track down those original conversations. It is *not* from any of the bigger, major network shows.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 02:29:38 PM »

Here is another upload with the Beach Boys miming to their recording. Other parts of this "performance" have been around, but I'd never see Good Vibrations:

The Beach Boys- "Good Vibrations" 1968 [Reelin' In The Years Archives]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VT_dANxQic
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:30:37 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2019, 03:04:23 PM »

Speaking of tv appearances, several years ago somebody posted a short clip of the group singing an acapella portion of the song "Friends". I remember that the whole group was sitting down. The clip was in horrible quality, but it appeared to be in color. Does anybody have an idea of where and when the clip is from?

As mentioned, it’s been discussed before but nothing concrete. The particular ‘Friends’ clip linked no longer works.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17472.0.html
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2019, 03:14:55 PM »

Well this clip is from the Dutch show twien from December 1968
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2019, 04:45:08 PM »

This is really interesting read. Thanks to guitarfool & Ian! I didn't even suspect that BBs been at frequent demand by that time when they're deemed "unhip". Pity it seems the shows with BBs didn't survive. Would be especially interesting to see them at Joey Bishop. He's really funny as guest panelist in What's My Line?.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2019, 05:07:37 PM »

Yeah I’d like to see that too-it’s somewhat sad that pop history was once so disposable that they used to just wipe the tapes-very shortsighted attitudes.  I mean the network people didn’t even think the Beatles appearance on the tonight show in 1968 was one for the time capsule-it only survives in lousy quality filmed off the tv by a fan
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2019, 08:09:58 AM »

A DVD release of all TV appearances by the Beach Boys would be a very welcome (including "Monster Mash" from the "Lost concert"). But if not already done, there's probably a lot to be done in regards to searching through archives of TV stations etc. But it definitely would be a very cool and imo very important release. We don't have too much footage of the Boys from that era.

Releasing footage (whether live or mimed) on video is far, far more expensive than audio copyright extension releases.

For audio releases, either BRI or Capitol owns the recordings, and then on the composition side they just pay a flat mechanical royalty rate for each composition.

For old film footage, especially old TV shows, all sorts of different companies own the footage (individual production companies, or the network, etc.), whether they have it in the "vaults" or even if it's just floating around in the ether among "collectors." So anybody (e.g. BRI) trying to release the footage has to pay to license the footage, and the rights holders can ask whatever price they want. As mentioned previously, Dick Clark Productions is notorious for charging a TON for footage (Bandstand, etc.).

There's also the issue of whether "releasable" archival materials can be found to transfer. If a bad VHS dub is all that's "out there", it's less likely to be released. Obviously, some entities have very clean, easily transferable libraries. Others, not so much.

Perhaps most cost prohibitive is paying for the "sync" rights for the music included. Unlike audio releases, video releases have to negotiate with the copyright holders of each musical composition. There isn't a flat rate; the holders can ask whatever they want. This is how some old TV shows (e.g. "WKRP in Cincinnati") that use a ton of popular music run into problems when they attempt to put them out on DVD. One song can cost millions.

With the BBs, there is some leeway in that they do own some of their later publishing, and any BRI-helmed project would presumably be able to clear *those* songs cheaply. But BRI would have to pay for "I Get Around" just like any other movie/TV production.

Now, when there are huge, deep pockets involved, it's not usually a big issue. When Apple did the "Beatles Anthology", I recall reports that many entities (e.g. local news stations, etc.) who owned footage totally stuck it to Apple and charged a TON for the footage (often times in retribution for past instance where stations attempted to do little piddly "retrospectives" using their old b-roll Beatles footage only to be warned off by Apple). But Apple could pay whatever most anyone asked. I've often heard they tended to forego licensing much "Ready Steady Go" footage because Dave Clark's company charged a ton for *that* footage.

The easiest things for the BRI to release on video would be concert footage where they own the actual footage and then some of the publishing. So the cheapest thing for them to release would be like raw in-house video footage from like 1977 and 1978 shows and stuff like that.

But a comp of 60s TV appearances would cost MILLIONS of dollars. The best bet we'd have is some entity like HBO or Netflix or Amazon funding production of a "Beatles Anthology" -type Beach Boys documentary where they'd be willing to pay for a lot of vintage footage clearances.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:14:40 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2019, 09:01:28 AM »

In the case of the Dick Clark TV shows, I'm surprised something could not have been worked out regarding licensing/fees/usage because of two factors: Clark was a friend of the Beach Boys from the early days throughout almost their whole career, and clips of the band on his shows like Bandstand have been used in many compilations and documentaries through the years (and even TV infomercials selling oldies hits packages). So when there are appearances existing like these "Happening" clips, from the late 60's, among others, I don't think Clark would have tried to gouge the band in terms of charging crazy fees as other entities had done. But obviously there is more inside baseball involved in the process, and the quality of the clips may be an issue too, along with the fact that Clark himself is no longer around to make these agreements. But it would be nice to have included what remains of these later 60's clips in some official capacity.

Speaking of Clark, "Happening '68", and the clips posted in this discussion...it turns out this August episode of "Happening '68" was yet another "Beach Boys Day" program on "Happening '68" as in the clipping I posted from '69 where they did the same thing - Devoting a program to the Beach Boys. So alongside the clips on YouTube, the "Friends" promo film was also aired during the show.

Here's the article:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:03:12 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2019, 11:29:26 PM »

I don't think Dick Clark was going to cut the Beach Boys any favors just because of their working relationship. DC also made it next to impossible for Paul Revere and the Raiders to license any footage from Happening, Where the Action Is, and Bandstand. It sucks that there is the archive of footage with most of the popular artists of the 50s and onwards just collecting dust somewhere. Who knows, maybe the tapes and films were buried with DC himself!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 11:45:17 PM »

Why wouldn't the DC estate want to release things on their own? Do they figure the big money is charging inflated prices to license it to other companies? If people are actively avoiding dealing with them over pricing, then what's the point of just letting it all collect dust and deteriorate?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2019, 12:42:51 AM »

I don't think Dick Clark was going to cut the Beach Boys any favors just because of their working relationship. DC also made it next to impossible for Paul Revere and the Raiders to license any footage from Happening, Where the Action Is, and Bandstand. It sucks that there is the archive of footage with most of the popular artists of the 50s and onwards just collecting dust somewhere. Who knows, maybe the tapes and films were buried with DC himself!

Boo.

The $25,000 Pyramid Scheme
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2019, 06:46:39 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sure Dick Clark, even while still alive and active, was necessarily intensely involved in individual deals regarding licensing of footage. Now or then, I'd assume it's just a business and the licensing would be negotiated as it would with anyone. I don't know that Clark's company would have gouged as in excessively overcharging compared to other potential licensees. It's just expensive from the get-go because of the prices they set.

I'm also not quite sure *how* friendly Clark was with the band. Obviously, they were friendly and the band (and Carl and Brian solo) visited Clark's shows many times into the 80s. But I don't know that they had a "call Dick Clark and get him to kick us down some free or cheap licensed footage" type of relationship.

I can't say I have intense personal knowledge of how things are, especially these days. I could envision the licensing fees being reduced over time considering the advanced age of both the artists and the potential audience for footage. I don't know how picky that company can be these days about charging for licensing out footage.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:58:09 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2019, 06:56:14 AM »

Why wouldn't the DC estate want to release things on their own? Do they figure the big money is charging inflated prices to license it to other companies? If people are actively avoiding dealing with them over pricing, then what's the point of just letting it all collect dust and deteriorate?

Two reasons Dick Clark Media Archives wouldn't just release the footage themselves.

Number one, they may not have the clearances from the artists to do anything beyond airing the footage on television.

Secondly, they may not have clearances from the owners of the recordings that bands mimed to. Remember that until its dying day, "American Bandstand" was almost always a miming deal, meaning artists would mime to their studio recordings. I would imagine they'd only get clearances to air the footage and audio on TV. They may or may not have even obtained a TV clearance in perpetuity.

Third, and probably most prohibiting, is that even if they had all the artist clearances and clearances from whomever owns the actual studio audio recordings, DCMA would *still* have to pay for sync rights to every song if they wanted to actually release this stuff on DVD. This would be quite cost prohibitive.

This is why other music-centric TV series have usually only seen "best of" compilations. So when they did a bunch of "Midnight Special" DVDs for instance, I think they only included one or two songs from the Beach Boys' 1979 appearance.

My recollection is that, not too long ago, I noticed that there were bunch of "American Bandstand" interview clips posted by DCMA (or some related entity) sans the actual musical portions.

So, it's possible that DCMA could release all the non-musical footage they want. But nobody would want to buy DVDS of just interviews from these shows. As it is, mimed performances would have less potential interest from home video distributors and customers/fans than actual live performances. Especially in cases from eras well after the 60s where the inherent rarity of the respective footage isn't as much of an issue. If some 80s band was all over MTV and other TV shows, performing live and miming, and then also did "American Bandstand", there's not as much interest in their "American Bandstand" footage compared to rare 1968 Beach Boys footage.

I reference "American Bandstand" loosely, because DCMA obviously owns a bunch of other footage as well. Other Dick Clark-produced vintage shows, and also I believe they own stuff like the Beach Boys' "One Man's Challenge" footage.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2019, 06:57:59 AM »

What does not make sense - again minus knowledge of the inside baseball of the process - is how one of the most often used and seen vintage Beach Boys video clips came from Dick Clark's Bandstand. And that appeared, as I said earlier, in everything from "official" docs to infomercials and beyond. So obviously the fees for rights to use that Bandstand footage with the Beach Boys wasn't high enough that producers wouldn't use it. The same folks more or less control this other footage we're discussing.

And honestly seeing these "Happening" appearances from 68-69 would be great, yes, but meanwhile there is roughly 45-50 minutes of Good Vibrations session footage from 1966 that is more historic and I'd say valuable for fans of the band and music fans in general which is unavailable to see years after it was discovered. Why is that? I'd rather see that over the Boys miming. But we can't see it.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2019, 07:03:00 AM »

And honestly seeing these "Happening" appearances from 68-69 would be great, yes, but meanwhile there is roughly 45-50 minutes of Good Vibrations session footage from 1966 that is more historic and I'd say valuable for fans of the band and music fans in general which is unavailable to see years after it was discovered. Why is that? I'd rather see that over the Boys miming. But we can't see it.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not advocating for a huge movement to prompt release of "Happening" footage. It just popped up on YouTube and is interesting stuff. I don't expect or anticipate a glut of Clark-produced BB content being officially released. Especially at this juncture.

Have we established who owns the "Good Vibrations" raw film footage? Obviously, BRI used it back in 2012. Do they own it now? If so, that's a much easier deal. BRI could release it themselves, and could probably relatively easily work with Capitol/UMe to get some audio to accompany it in some way.

But there also has to be a venue to release it. I mean, I guess they could just dump a "Raw Good Vibrations Session Footage" file on iTunes and Amazon and sell it. But typically, they'd use the footage to underline some sort of documentary. If they really have over 45 minutes of solid footage (meaning not 27 minutes of Hal Blaine tightening and loosening his hi-hat, and meaning not stuff chopped into like 1-second blips), a 60-90 minute doc on the history of "Good Vibrations", working in interviews with the band, etc., would probably be the best use and presentation of that footage.  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:04:42 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2019, 07:06:41 AM »

Have we established who owns the "Good Vibrations" raw film footage? Obviously, BRI used it back in 2012. Do they own it now? If so, that's a much easier deal. BRI could release it themselves, and could probably relatively easily work with Capitol/UMe to get some audio to accompany it in some way.

But there also has to be a venue to release it. I mean, I guess they could just dump a "Raw Good Vibrations Session Footage" file on iTunes and Amazon and sell it. But typically, they'd use the footage to underline some sort of documentary. If they really have over 45 minutes of solid footage (meaning not 27 minutes of Hal Blaine tightening and loosening his hi-hat, and meaning not stuff chopped into like 1-second blips), a 60-90 minute doc on the history of "Good Vibrations", working in interviews with the band, etc., would probably be the best use and presentation of that footage. 

They could easily do any number of things with it along the lines of what you just said. It was even screened at a fan convention in recent years. Meanwhile it sits unused and generally unseen outside of that convention while I'm sure there would be a demand for it even beyond the BB's hardcore fan base. Yet fans can't see it.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2019, 07:10:38 AM »

What does not make sense - again minus knowledge of the inside baseball of the process - is how one of the most often used and seen vintage Beach Boys video clips came from Dick Clark's Bandstand. And that appeared, as I said earlier, in everything from "official" docs to infomercials and beyond. So obviously the fees for rights to use that Bandstand footage with the Beach Boys wasn't high enough that producers wouldn't use it. The same folks more or less control this other footage we're discussing.

Yeah, I don't think the idea is that it's always prohibitively expensive to license Clark-owned footage. I was only saying previously that, from what I've heard, it's known to be among the more expensive rights holders to license footage from. Clearly, some docs (including BB docs) have licensed some footage. I think it's just a matter of budget. The "One Man's Challenge" footage of the Marks era band that DCMA owns for whatever reason is really the only truly *key* footage DCMA owns that a BB doc should include if at all possible. Pretty much everything else the band did on Clark's show isn't something that would *have* to be in a doc. The "Don't Worry Baby" footage is important (perhaps more for the interview than the mimed performance), but not an absolute *must* for a long-form BB doc. And most other footage, whether the 60s "Happening" footage or the numerous late 70s and early 80s miming jobs they did on Bandstand would be needed for a doc. They don't need to pay a high fee to license footage of the band miming "Sumahama" from 1979, or the Carl-less band going off the rails at the "35th Anniversary" show in 1981/82.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »

The surprising thing is that as far as I can tell that don’t worry baby appearance was the BBs only appearance on bandstand between 1962 and 1978! You’d think they would have played that show many times-though as I quote in my book the BBs were very critical of that miming appearance
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2019, 01:51:29 PM »

Little Richard sang it and Dick Clark brought it to life
Dick's company owns the rights, the no "friend discount" rule stuck as sharp as a knife
Well now do you remember all the corporate suits hoarding footage of our rock and roll

(Doesn't have quite the same ring as the original lyrics, but it's more accurate)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2019, 06:06:18 AM »

The surprising thing is that as far as I can tell that don’t worry baby appearance was the BBs only appearance on bandstand between 1962 and 1978! You’d think they would have played that show many times-though as I quote in my book the BBs were very critical of that miming appearance

As in appearing "in person" on AB, yes it was pretty sparse - But consider how many times their records were spun on the show on a weekly basis as well as (and I don't know how many were actually aired in total) the various promo clips being aired, and it's not like the band wasn't a presence on the show. They weren't the first, but after the Beatles started filming and sending promo clips to shows like Bandstand for them to air and promote a new single, other bands did it too - And the bigger names like Beatles, Beach Boys, etc would have these shows airing such clips because of the demand from their audiences.

And as shown in those two clippings I posted here, the Dick Clark produced "Happening" shows gave the Beach Boys two consecutive "Beach Boys Day" episodes to promote the group's latest releases in 68-69, and I doubt for example these shows had something like a "1910 Fruitgum Company Day" in comparison... LOL

Notable too that the "Friends" promo clip was aired on the Aug '68 broadcast...not having looked at a full rundown of Bandstand's weekly content and schedule, I'm wondering just how many Beach Boys promo clips were shown on the regular Bandstand broadcasts during the 60's. If they aired "Friends" on Happening, I'm assuming it appeared on Bandstand too? Dick Clark ran both programs.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2019, 06:24:01 AM »

I also have to wonder if the Beach Boys remembered the other big circumstance of their "Don't Worry Baby" appearance in 1964, which I didn't know until the late 90s or early 2000s when VH1 aired that *entire episode*. Why did they air that entire episode? It was part of a Beatles-themed week of programming on VH1. Was the episode actually Beatles themed? Yep.

Despite the fact that the Beatles rather *infamously* never agreed to appear on "American Bandstand" (which I can only imagine irked Clark back then), that episode in 1964 was a "Beatles Day" themed episode, with most of the episode devoted to spinning Beatles tunes and whatnot (I can't recall what other Beatles-themed things they did on the show). Then, smack dab in the middle of a "BEATLES" episode, they have the *Beach Boys* doing "Don't Worry Baby."

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/american-bandstand/season-7/episode-30-the-beach-boys-tribute-to-the-beatles

Between being shoehorned into a "Beatles" episode of Bandstand, and agreeing to do a movie ("Girls on the Beach") whose main plot was everybody in the movie being bent out of shape that the *Beatles* weren't turning up to do a show (having the Beach Boys and Leslie Gore, etc. didn't seem to placate them), this had to have been at least a bit frustrating for the band.

I would imagine indeed that Bandstand likely aired some BB promo films, as they did the same with Beatles films from time to time.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:29:51 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx