gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:09:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys on "Happening '68" TV Show - "Wake the World" & "Do It Again"  (Read 17437 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »

This resurfaced on YouTube a few days ago. I hope it doesn't get pulled, but check it out just in case it does. The Beach Boys on the Dick Clark/American Bandstand sort-of offshoot TV show "Happening '68" doing "Wake the World" and "Do It Again":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LceRskkhDy8

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 12:09:17 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen a video clip of them performing "Wake the World" from this era.  Always find it weird to see them miming to a Brian vocal.  They could have at least done a live vocal to track and let Al sing it as he did in concert at the time.  Still cool to see rare footage like this.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen a video clip of them performing "Wake the World" from this era.  Always find it weird to see them miming to a Brian vocal.  They could have at least done a live vocal to track and let Al sing it as he did in concert at the time.  Still cool to see rare footage like this.

I'm no expert on this show, but seeing as it how it was put on by Dick Clark Productions, and was a sort-of spinoff of "American Bandstand", it's not surprising that American Bandstand's SOP of 100% miming would carry over to this show as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 12:16:31 PM »

Never seen this! Thanks for sharing!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 02:05:58 PM »

That is SOOO weird, what a find. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure what is more disconcerting... Carl miming to a significant amount of Brian lead vocals (the whole song), or the really distracting and silly "skit" bit of Mike and Bruce sleeping and waking up.

Get it? Waking up? Wake the World? Huh huh huh. I hate to be a downer, but this just seems so scholcky and distracting to the song that's being played, as though someone in the band is craving attention and decided to concoct a whole unnecessary "skit" within a song.

- Was this sleeping "skit" something they ever did when they performed live concerts? Or just a one-off for this show?

- And is there a more extreme example of a BBs band member miming lead studio vocals of a completely different BBs band member? I just know of the 1981 (?) instance of Brian miming on TV to Carl's studio lead in Good Vibrations, and I'm also sure there are moments of Carl miming Brian's tiny studio lead parts within Good Vibrations. Not sure there are other examples?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:06:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 06:27:13 AM »

That is SOOO weird, what a find. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure what is more disconcerting... Carl miming to a significant amount of Brian lead vocals (the whole song), or the really distracting and silly "skit" bit of Mike and Bruce sleeping and waking up.

Get it? Waking up? Wake the World? Huh huh huh. I hate to be a downer, but this just seems so scholcky and distracting to the song that's being played, as though someone in the band is craving attention and decided to concoct a whole unnecessary "skit" within a song.

- Was this sleeping "skit" something they ever did when they performed live concerts? Or just a one-off for this show?

- And is there a more extreme example of a BBs band member miming lead studio vocals of a completely different BBs band member? I just know of the 1981 (?) instance of Brian miming on TV to Carl's studio lead in Good Vibrations, and I'm also sure there are moments of Carl miming Brian's tiny studio lead parts within Good Vibrations. Not sure there are other examples?

While this footage is great to see, and it’s pretty rare, I don’t sense the BBs were helping the cause of being “cool” with the 1968 crowd here. I see this “bit” as an extension both of the sort of antiquated “American Bandstand” format, and also of the band’s sort of self-conscious state at the time of trying to be progressive but also kind of being stuck in the past. I mean, “Do It Again” kind of helps to sum that whole vibe up. It’s new, but it’s a throw-back. They have the old surfing stock footage going, etc.

As for the band miming to Brian’s parts when he wasn’t there, there are some late 60s TV shows with miming bits where this occurred. The Dutch TV show “Twien” had them miming to “Pet Sounds” material, with Carl miming Brian’s parts on “Sloop John B” and Al miming Brian’s parts on “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”:

Sloop John B - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W4KkBwgP7c

Wouldn’t It Be Nice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCJ__o-0uzY

There are other 1968/1969 mimed TV appearances (Beat Club, others) where you see them miming to other Brian parts on songs like “Break Away”, “Do It Again”, “California Girls”, “Surfin’ USA”, etc.

All the way into 1990, the band was miming on Spanish TV. There is a video posted where they are clearly miming to “Barbara Ann”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntntpYY-7vA

Whomever uploaded this video has clearly dubbed the “Party” studio track onto the video, so it’s unclear what they were *actually* miming to. The thing syncs up relatively well, so it’s possible they *were* miming to the ’66 version and the audio has simply been “upgraded” on this clip. Either way, it’s interesting to see such late examples of the band still miming.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 08:23:31 AM »

While this footage is great to see, and it’s pretty rare, I don’t sense the BBs were helping the cause of being “cool” with the 1968 crowd here. I see this “bit” as an extension both of the sort of antiquated “American Bandstand” format, and also of the band’s sort of self-conscious state at the time of trying to be progressive but also kind of being stuck in the past. I mean, “Do It Again” kind of helps to sum that whole vibe up. It’s new, but it’s a throw-back. They have the old surfing stock footage going, etc.

That's good insight. I'd say Wake the World is even more problematic in that sense, even if you can manage to set aside the 'guys waking up' schtick. I mean, I love the song, but it is decidedly NOT where the hip rock world or the country were going in 1968.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 09:04:59 AM »

That's good insight. I'd say Wake the World is even more problematic in that sense, even if you can manage to set aside the 'guys waking up' schtick. I mean, I love the song, but it is decidedly NOT where the hip rock world or the country were going in 1968.

If nothing else, as amazing of a song as it is, "Wake the World" was a weird song to push as a single because it's so short.

The band wisely and effectively lengthened it to "normal" pop song length when they did it live in 1968-70.

I'm not enough of a pop culture anthropologist to really know what "demographic" different shows played to back in 1968. I tend to think "Happening '68" was a little more youngster/pop-oriented than, say, "Old Grey Whistle Test" a few years later. So light and fluffy pop stuff isn't a surprising thing to see on an American Bandstand-esque show.

For the life of me, I can't tell for sure if this "Happening" footage is inadvertently tinted B&W footage, or just *really washed out* color footage. I'd assume it was taped/filmed and broadcast in color, but I'm curious if this extant archival footage originated as color or B&W.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 10:45:19 PM »

If nothing else, as amazing of a song as it is, "Wake the World" was a weird song to push as a single because it's so short.

The band wisely and effectively lengthened it to "normal" pop song length when they did it live in 1968-70.

I'm not enough of a pop culture anthropologist to really know what "demographic" different shows played to back in 1968. I tend to think "Happening '68" was a little more youngster/pop-oriented than, say, "Old Grey Whistle Test" a few years later. So light and fluffy pop stuff isn't a surprising thing to see on an American Bandstand-esque show.

For the life of me, I can't tell for sure if this "Happening" footage is inadvertently tinted B&W footage, or just *really washed out* color footage. I'd assume it was taped/filmed and broadcast in color, but I'm curious if this extant archival footage originated as color or B&W.
Happening '68 was definitely broadcast in color, but all that survives of it today is some grainy kinescopes. The nice folks over at The Video Beat have a few dvd's for sale, all b&w.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 05:05:36 AM »

That video is from a DVD bootleg that I already had.

Ian already had that footage because I sent it to him.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 06:12:17 AM »

That video is from a DVD bootleg that I already had.

Ian already had that footage because I sent it to him.

Yes, of course, I always assume that the vast majority of this type of footage has already been "out there" to some degree if it has popped up on YouTube.

But if someone shares it on YouTube, then about ten thousand percent more fans are going to get a chance to see it.

I would guess, based on the "dcma" bug on the screen on this footage (Dick Clark Media Archives) and the "Delilah Films" stamp (as well as the timecode, etc.), this footage may have been pulled by "dcma" for potential use in the "Endless Harmony" documentary. I'm trying to remember if there are any other BB-related projects done through Delilah Films. Maybe "The Lost Concert"?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 06:14:46 AM »

Happening '68 was definitely broadcast in color, but all that survives of it today is some grainy kinescopes. The nice folks over at The Video Beat have a few dvd's for sale, all b&w.

Ah, that makes sense. What's interesting is that this footage has the "dcma" (Dick Clark Media Archives) bug, suggesting it was pulled for possible consideration to license to someone. So even the actual Dick Clark archives only have these near sepia-toned B&W kinescopes?

I recall hearing over the years that licensing footage from the Dick Clark operation is VERY expensive, which might be one of any number of reasons why this "Happening" footage didn't make it into "Endless Harmony" or whatever documentary it may have been intended for.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 07:19:37 AM »

Ah, that makes sense. What's interesting is that this footage has the "dcma" (Dick Clark Media Archives) bug, suggesting it was pulled for possible consideration to license to someone. So even the actual Dick Clark archives only have these near sepia-toned B&W kinescopes?

I recall hearing over the years that licensing footage from the Dick Clark operation is VERY expensive, which might be one of any number of reasons why this "Happening" footage didn't make it into "Endless Harmony" or whatever documentary it may have been intended for.

You'd think having his name sung in a Beach Boys song lyric, and Dick having written liner notes on the back of one of their early records, would have gotten the band on the discount list, so to speak, for bargain price footage licensing. I guess not. Too bad.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:44:58 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 11:04:56 AM »

Here is a little background information on "Happening '68" and a preview of a project I've been working on...basically a huge compilation of archival materials I found and have been collecting that need to be broken down and organized into topics and dates, etc. It's time to open the vaults and share this stuff. Stay tuned. Not sure yet if it will be done here or on a separate platform, but a trial run is coming soon.

Anyway...The Beach Boys appearance as shown on YouTube aired the weekend of August 17-18 1968 on ABC. Happening '68 was indeed a Dick Clark production, hosted by Mark Lindsay and "Paul Revere", geared toward kids and younger teens, that was shown early weekend afternoons or late mornings, depending on which TV market was airing it. There were fashion segments, music, comedy, and even a band contest where amateur acts could perform and possibly win a bunch of gear, studio time, and all that stuff. I have seen one report of the Lindsay/Revere hosting duo's comedy being corny, amateurish, etc. But the show premiered at the beginning of '68 as an offshoot of Dick Clark's "It's Happening" weekend show which was also an offshoot of his Bandstand, all shown on ABC stations across the US and again mostly weekend slots around the cartoon and rerun times when kids were watching. So that might explain the "humor" done for "Wake The World". The show was geared mostly toward kids.

Here are a few hits from the archives related to the show. First, the original announcement of the show, a report about "Happening '68" announcing the amateur band contest which *also* mentions the Beach Boys and Maharishi tour later in the same report, and an original TV listing for the clip we're watching on YouTube.

Also added a teaser for yet another "Happening" appearance in 1969 which I think will be of interest to fans here. Has anyone seen *that* tape?  Grin

I'll add more stuff on TV appearances from '68 here if there is an interest, and will soon have more material coming out. It's fun to see just how many TV appearances the band made in 1968, and sad how many of these are still lost or rarely if ever seen. What gets downplayed sometimes is how the band literally made all the usual TV rounds in 1968 into '69, and hit every major show including Carson, Bishop, Griffin, Sullivan, Douglas, Cavett, Hy Lit, Les Crane...and the impression is too often that their popularity was at a low during this time. If the actual bookings are any indication, they were still in demand as shown by the sheer number of TV spots they actually did which you'll see evidence of soon.

Enjoy.

TV listing from August 17, 1968:

A teaser or two for a later "Happening" appearance they labeled "Beach Boys Day" on the show, weekend of September 20-21 1969:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:13:41 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »

Also added a teaser for yet another "Happening" appearance in 1969 which I think will be of interest to fans here. Has anyone seen *that* tape?  Grin

Back when the BBs appeared on "Happening" in 1969, I made a cassette audio tape of that show -- probably not even playable now, if I could find it again.

I wish there was some way to get that show released on DVD/BluRay and digital media, if it even exists on videotape.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »

Great info and background material. Can't wait to see a full repository of that sort of stuff.

I'd of course love to see that 1969 apperance as well, although purely from a "rare song" point of view, the '68 performance is more intriguing in terms of "Wake the World." Whereas, there are some other extant TV appearances of the band doing "Break Away" and "Cotton Fields" (are we to presume they'd be miming to the 20/20 version rather than the later single version?).

Also intriguing is that, if the show in '69 kept the "American Bandstand" ethos of miming, they must have still worked up some sort of new recording of "Johnny B. Goode" for that show.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »

Great info and background material. Can't wait to see a full repository of that sort of stuff.

I'd of course love to see that 1969 apperance as well, although purely from a "rare song" point of view, the '68 performance is more intriguing in terms of "Wake the World." Whereas, there are some other extant TV appearances of the band doing "Break Away" and "Cotton Fields" (are we to presume they'd be miming to the 20/20 version rather than the later single version?).

Also intriguing is that, if the show in '69 kept the "American Bandstand" ethos of miming, they must have still worked up some sort of new recording of "Johnny B. Goode" for that show.

I can imagine that appearances like "Wake the World" (mimed) must have contributed to confusion about which BBs band member sang which song on studio recordings. Just when people might have thought they had the voices figured out, something like Carl miming Brian lead vocals must have been baffling.

How many other bands of the era had full lead vocals of a different band member mimed by someone else? I realize that miming is a sign of those times, but when it's a different person's voice being faked entirely, it treads dangerously close to Milli Vanilli territory  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 01:04:50 PM »

I don't think a ton of bands from that era had a main active studio member not out on tour or doing TV shows, so there probably aren't a ton of examples. Also, there aren't many if any bands as successful and famous as the Beach Boys that had such a large cast of rotating lead vocalists.

I always thought it was interesting that, even on C50, you would hear SEVEN different BBs singing leads (including the archival Dennis and Carl tracks), and as many as TEN total lead vocalists when Totten, Foskett, and Darian sang leads.

Something a tiny bit like that old BB footage that I can think of is a case of simple camera/editing issues, where the first part of "Can't Buy Me Love" from the "Around the Beatles" special focuses exclusively on *John* singing the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srwxJUXPHvE

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 05:02:54 PM »

"Cotton Fields" from Happening '69 is played live and based on the 20/20 version. The performances of "Break Away" and Johnny B Goode" are also live.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »

"Cotton Fields" from Happening '69 is played live and based on the 20/20 version. The performances of "Break Away" and Johnny B Goode" are also live.

Wow, that must be only the second time an act played live on the show. Wilson Pickett was on the show the year before, and did 3 or 4 songs live. IIRC, Pickett insisted that he and his band play live, so Lindsay and Revere went to the producers and insisted that he be allowed to do so.

The timeline for the show posted above is slightly off - the show began as Happening '68 early that year, hosted by Lindsay and Revere, as a once a week show. In the summer, Revere, Lindsay, and soon-to-be-Raider Keith Allison hosted a Monday thru Friday spinoff called It's Happening. That ended when the kids went back to school in the fall. In '69, Happening '68 became simply Happening, and ran through September of that year.
 I'm a Paul Revere/Raiders fan, so I know all this stuff.
I think there was also an episode where the Beach Boys promo film for I Can Hear Music was shown. The group themselves was not on the show that ep.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »

For what it is worth I wrote two articles for esq on tv appearances by the BBs and discussed both of these. However I was not sure the footage survived and was therefore pleasantly surprised when the footage was shown to me. They also appeared on les crane twice that year (I am told that footage is gone), Carson tonight show twice (also allegedly erased according to Carson production people I contacted), as well as mike Douglas (good quality clips on YouTube) Ed Sullivan (on YouTube), David frost and the merv griffin show (I bet this footage exists but its never been booted)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 07:11:05 PM »

Leaving out the Joey bishop show in 1968-I believe that footage has bit the dust
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 09:56:44 PM »

I'll do this in separate posts - Scratching the surface for now, and what's to come later isn't solely about TV appearances. Lotsa stuff.  Wink

On the topic of "lost" or unseen/unbooted/etc TV appearances, specifically 1968, here are a few teasers of what was broadcast to fans in '68...

Joey Bishop Show, Friday Nov. 1 1968:

Les Crane Show (Disclaimer: Listed dates varied based on how and when individual markets and stations aired the show, not to mention reruns) :

Aug. 29, 1968 (rerun?)

June 28

June 30 ***Note reference to the Maharishi getting "booed off the stage" in this listing***

Now *here* is a fun one to read. Thursday May 2, 1968...The Beach Boys in some regions could be seen on late-night TV on two separate shows, two different networks, simultaneously! Johnny Carson and Les Crane. The listing first, followed by one critic's negative reaction to this phenomenon  LOL

(Personal note: The BB's shared this May appearance with Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss, who were married in real life and had just starred in a way too short-lived sitcom called "He & She"...a show which was groundbreaking and seems a decade or so (or more) ahead of its time, and which is hilarious and adult unlike most sitcoms. If you can find it, watch what episodes are available! I would LOVE to see this Carson show with them and the BB's...sadly, it's gone unless it surfaces somehow in a stash...like the rest)

And a later Carson appearance Tuesday August 13:

And here are the really tantalizing ones, unless someone has them in a collection...because they're lost.

Hy Lit, Sept 68:

A real oddity, rarely mentioned (again, unless it exists somewhere)...Critic John Wasserman had a show called POW! in '68...and as you'll see in the listing and the announcement, he featured a "film" on the BB/Maharishi concerts alongside a chat about Yellow Submarine.

POW! (John Wasserman) Nov 3, 1968:

And then there is Dick Cavett.

From the Dick Cavett morning show, August 13 1968:

Cavett's morning show tapes were, sadly, wiped and reused by ABC. Which means, as with those others above, unless one exists in an unknown stash of reels, the Beach Boys' appearance with Cavett is gone too. When Cavett went to late night replacing Joey Bishop (whose tape reels ABC *also* wiped and reused), Dick paid for his own reels of tape and got control over his archives, apparently very upset after ABC erased nearly all of his morning show reels...which is how and why Cavett's late-night run is so well archived and preserved. Carson began doing this after NBC did the same thing to him, and Carson's archives are, I think, complete from 1972 or so, close to if not all of his run after moving the show from New York to the west coast.

So that's a partial rundown, sad that most remain "lost" as in the network reels were reused or destroyed, or may exist in a collection as kinescopes and whatnot that hasn't been unearthed as of yet. But the Boys had a whale of a year in terms of TV appearances...as I said, they hit all of the big ones. I haven't even added the appearances where the tapes do exist...but they did hit pretty much all of the big shows.

So if the mythology or "facts" are that they weren't popular in 1968...look at the bookings. Twice with Johnny Carson within months...that was not easy to get. And Sullivan. And Bishop. And Merv. And Mike Douglas...

Oh, speaking of Mike Douglas, they were on his show twice too, in '68. This was one of them:

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:04:49 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 10:56:07 PM »

I'll do this in separate posts - Scratching the surface for now, and what's to come later isn't solely about TV appearances. Lotsa stuff.  Wink

On the topic of "lost" or unseen/unbooted/etc TV appearances, specifically 1968, here are a few teasers of what was broadcast to fans in '68...

Joey Bishop Show, Friday Nov. 1 1968:

Les Crane Show (Disclaimer: Listed dates varied based on how and when individual markets and stations aired the show, not to mention reruns) :

Aug. 29, 1968 (rerun?)

June 28

June 30 ***Note reference to the Maharishi getting "booed off the stage" in this listing***

Now *here* is a fun one to read. Thursday May 2, 1968...The Beach Boys in some regions could be seen on late-night TV on two separate shows, two different networks, simultaneously! Johnny Carson and Les Crane. The listing first, followed by one critic's negative reaction to this phenomenon  LOL

(Personal note: The BB's shared this May appearance with Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss, who were married in real life and had just starred in a way too short-lived sitcom called "He & She"...a show which was groundbreaking and seems a decade or so (or more) ahead of its time, and which is hilarious and adult unlike most sitcoms. If you can find it, watch what episodes are available! I would LOVE to see this Carson show with them and the BB's...sadly, it's gone unless it surfaces somehow in a stash...like the rest)

And a later Carson appearance Tuesday August 13:

And here are the really tantalizing ones, unless someone has them in a collection...because they're lost.

Hy Lit, Sept 68:

A real oddity, rarely mentioned (again, unless it exists somewhere)...Critic John Wasserman had a show called POW! in '68...and as you'll see in the listing and the announcement, he featured a "film" on the BB/Maharishi concerts alongside a chat about Yellow Submarine.

POW! (John Wasserman) Nov 3, 1968:

And then there is Dick Cavett.

From the Dick Cavett morning show, August 13 1968:

Cavett's morning show tapes were, sadly, wiped and reused by ABC. Which means, as with those others above, unless one exists in an unknown stash of reels, the Beach Boys' appearance with Cavett is gone too. When Cavett went to late night replacing Joey Bishop (whose tape reels ABC *also* wiped and reused), Dick paid for his own reels of tape and got control over his archives, apparently very upset after ABC erased nearly all of his morning show reels...which is how and why Cavett's late-night run is so well archived and preserved. Carson began doing this after NBC did the same thing to him, and Carson's archives are, I think, complete from 1972 or so, close to if not all of his run after moving the show from New York to the west coast.

So that's a partial rundown, sad that most remain "lost" as in the network reels were reused or destroyed, or may exist in a collection as kinescopes and whatnot that hasn't been unearthed as of yet. But the Boys had a whale of a year in terms of TV appearances...as I said, they hit all of the big ones. I haven't even added the appearances where the tapes do exist...but they did hit pretty much all of the big shows.

So if the mythology or "facts" are that they weren't popular in 1968...look at the bookings. Twice with Johnny Carson within months...that was not easy to get. And Sullivan. And Bishop. And Merv. And Mike Douglas...

Oh, speaking of Mike Douglas, they were on his show twice too, in '68. This was one of them:

Enjoy.

Thanks for doing that research, GF. Really fascinating stuff there.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 02:56:43 AM »

A DVD release of all TV appearances by the Beach Boys would be a very welcome (including "Monster Mash" from the "Lost concert"). But if not already done, there's probably a lot to be done in regards to searching through archives of TV stations etc. But it definitely would be a very cool and imo very important release. We don't have too much footage of the Boys from that era.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx