gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:29:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys on "Happening '68" TV Show - "Wake the World" & "Do It Again"  (Read 17342 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2019, 06:25:51 AM »

Semi-off topic, and I know the answer is probably out there already but I don't have any resources in front of me at the moment:

We've all seen the Beach Boys appearing on Ed Sullivan in '64 (I Get Around, Wendy) and in '68 (Do It Again, Good Vibrations)...what happened in May 1965? They were scheduled to appear on Ed's show May 16th, it was promoted and listed as such, I remember Keith Badman's book even listed them as playing "Help Me Rhonda" on that date...so what happened?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2019, 06:59:48 AM »

Re: The Beach Boys on Bandstand, April 1964.

That show was promoted and advertised as an "All Beatles Show" at the time, and quite obviously too. It mentioned a phone interview with the group, as well as Clark spinning their records. So any kids in April '64 would see that and think it was an all Beatles show. How the Beach Boys ended up stuck in that same show, unlisted, is a mystery.

But something happened later in July '64 that *may* explain it a bit. There was obviously backlash among American acts as this "British Invasion" was hitting the US. It affected Dick Clark and Bandstand to the point where he had made a promise on the show to give "equal time" to promote and feature both Elvis and The Beatles. And so he did, in early July Bandstand did an "Elvis Day" episode, and a few weeks later in promoting "Hard Days Night" they did a Beatles Day.

I could be assuming too much, but as various programmers, stations, and shows like Clark's would have been taking heat at the time for possibly shutting out American acts (and there was a point to the criticism, IMO) perhaps Clark and his team thought it would be a positive for the Beach Boys to put them on in the middle of a Beatles-themed show which was guaranteed huge ratings at that time to remind the kids what "we" had to offer and give the Boys some promotion to the bigger audience numbers, or to give an American band some time for promotion too.

Just a thought.

Worth noting too is how Clark had moved Bandstand from Philly to Los Angeles just over two months before the BB's appeared, and had said specifically he wanted to continue what became a huge feature of his Philly-based Bandstand, where the kids on the show would demonstrate and do new dances to the records. This was a bigger feature in the 50's on the after-school Bandstand than I think many realize who don't know about it, but it was a major part of the show that made celebrities out of a group of regular kids from Philly who could dance. So Clark said he wanted to continue that after the move and feature "California" style dances on the new Bandstand.

So that explains why there was some kind of dance about surfing with the band on the show...If I'm remembering correctly what happened on that show.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2019, 08:33:49 AM »

Semi-off topic, and I know the answer is probably out there already but I don't have any resources in front of me at the moment:

We've all seen the Beach Boys appearing on Ed Sullivan in '64 (I Get Around, Wendy) and in '68 (Do It Again, Good Vibrations)...what happened in May 1965? They were scheduled to appear on Ed's show May 16th, it was promoted and listed as such, I remember Keith Badman's book even listed them as playing "Help Me Rhonda" on that date...so what happened?

Ian R. posted recently in one of his "This Day in History" posts that the Beach Boys got axed due to the show running long, and they never got rescheduled:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26566.0.html

They were apparently going to do "Rhonda" and "Graduation Day."

It would be interesting to see what *did* make the cut on that episode, and if there was truly nothing in that episode that could have been cut to make way for like five minutes of BB performance.

Here's are some rundowns of the content of the episode (accuracy not guaranteed of course):

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-ed-sullivan-show/may-16-1965-petula-clark-rudolf-nureyev-and-margot-fonteyn-alan-king-sue-carson-108596/

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-ed-sullivan-show/season-17/episode-33-may-16-1965-petula-clark-rudolf-nureyev-margot-fonteyn-alan-king-sue-carson

Music: --Petula Clark sings "I Know a Place" & "Heart." --The West Point Glee Club - sing a medley of Civil War songs ('When Johnny Comes Marching Home," "Tramp, Tramp, Tramp (The Boys Are Marching)," "Yellow Rose of Texas," "Tenting Tonight," "Dixie" and "The Battle Hymn of the Republic") and Irving Berlin's "This Is The Army Mr. Jones."Dance: --Rudolf Nureyev and Margot Fonteyn (ballet dancers) dance the the pas de deux from "Swan Lake."Comedy: --Alan King (stand-up comedian) - routine about little league baseball players and their overbearing parents.--Sue Carson (comedienne) sings a parody of "King of the Road" and impersonates female folk singers with "Talent Is In Demand."Also appearing: --The Elwardos (balancing act) --Ugo Garrido (foot juggler)

I know it's easy for *us* to see the West Point Glee Club and foot jugglers and say *of course* room should have been made for the BBs. But I know the show was playing to a broad audience. But it is odd they couldn't have found room and bumped something else. Or, could they have pre-taped the BBs and aired it on another date? I know they didn't do that often, but they of course famously did pre-tape the Beatles a few months later in 1965 for later airing for their only 1965 appearance on the show.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:40:40 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »

Thanks for the info and reminder - Yes, credit to the Sullivan show for showcasing as many rock and Motown acts as they did through the years...among other genres of course, but on this show they made a seriously bad choice on what to cut. The Beach Boys were one of the hottest bands at that time, and they got cut for what did air? It's almost hilarious. At least they didn't get bumped for Topo Gigio or a dancing bear from Russia that night.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:21:35 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »

Thanks for the info and reminder - Yes, credit to the Sullivan show for showcasing as many rock and Motown acts as they did through the years...among other genres of course, but on this show they made a seriously bad choice on what to cut. The Beach Boys were one of the hottest bands at that time, and they got cut for what did air? It's almost hilarious. At least they didn't get bumped for Topo Gigio or a dancing bear from Russia that night.  Grin

There is something kind of Spinal Tap about the situation. "If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Beach Boys' first and 'Foot Juggler' last!"

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2019, 11:04:52 PM »

It's easy for us younger folks to forget how anti-rock the establishment was in 1965. Rock music on network tv was still seen as a necessary evil. But it's still surprising that the Sullivan show would cut the Beach Boys appearance - knowing that they were probably the biggest draw on the show that week.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2019, 05:38:43 AM »

You don’t have my book right? I discuss that Ed Sullivan no show there
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2019, 05:40:51 AM »

You don’t own my book right? I discuss the Sullivan no show
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2019, 05:45:27 AM »

My source was Carl’s buddy Ron swallow, their roadie, who had vivid memories of those New York trips
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2019, 08:31:38 AM »

You don’t have my book right? I discuss that Ed Sullivan no show there

You don’t own my book right? I discuss the Sullivan no show

LOL  Nice

Should I post a pic of it?   Grin

I own hundreds of books, counting magazines - thousands. My memory is solid but not photographic, and I have not read all of these books cover to cover. I came across a blurb advertising that Sullivan show and couldn't recall details but thought I had seen something about it. I was not able to reach over and grab a book for reference when I posted. So I asked, and got a reminder. Simple as that.

As far as it being in the book, thank you for the reminder. I shall check it out when I can - It's a great book. But keep in mind too, since the comment was "you don't own" and "you don't have" my book...this week alone I have had and will have rehearsals for a student concert, rehearsals for a jazz gig, a studio session, and the usual weekly schedule. And that adds up to at least 50-75 or more songs I have in my head for this week alone, with more to come. So I don't have instant recall of what I may have read about a failed Sullivan appearance in '65 or where I read it over the past 5 years.

What an assumption about anyone owning or not owning a particular book has to do with the discussion, you'll have to fill me in on that one. "It's in my book" would be just as effective, if not more.  Wink

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2019, 11:46:13 AM »

Ah...I certainly didn’t mean it that way-just meant that I did talk about it there
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »

Anyways the gist is that Ron recalled that the BBs traveled to New York And Brian met them there. They rehearsed but then were told that the show was running long and they would be rescheduled but it never happened. I wonder if rehearsal footage was shot. If you are a Beatles fan you may be aware that footage of the dress rehearsal for their Miami Sullivan show exists but that may be the exception not the rule. I always wondered if the photos of the BBs clowning in gold lame suits backstage was from this appearance but could never confirm it-even though I talked to the photographer
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »

Anyways the gist is that Ron recalled that the BBs traveled to New York And Brian met them there. They rehearsed but then were told that the show was running long and they would be rescheduled but it never happened. I wonder if rehearsal footage was shot. If you are a Beatles fan you may be aware that footage of the dress rehearsal for their Miami Sullivan show exists but that may be the exception not the rule. I always wondered if the photos of the BBs clowning in gold lame suits backstage was from this appearance but could never confirm it-even though I talked to the photographer

There are also continual rumors that the dress rehearsal for the *1965* Beatles Sullivan appearance exists somewhere, but it of course hasn't surfaced.

As I mentioned before, the Beatles pre-taped that '65 appearance a month or so in advance. I'm guessing this wasn't too common either, but one has to wonder why the Sullivan show didn't do this for the BB's appearance earlier in the year. Maybe they thought it was more likely the BBs would reschedule. Or maybe they just made an exception for the Beatles because they were so huge.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »

I'd go with the second explanation-As you may know-Sullivan was so intent on Beatles content that he even agreed to fly to England to visit the Beatles on the set of Hard Days Night to get more Beatles content in 1964.  As much as I love the BBs-they just weren't in the same league in terms of phenomenon status in 1964 or 1965.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »

I'd go with the second explanation-As you may know-Sullivan was so intent on Beatles content that he even agreed to fly to England to visit the Beatles on the set of Hard Days Night to get more Beatles content in 1964.  As much as I love the BBs-they just weren't in the same league in terms of phenomenon status in 1964 or 1965.

Definitely. I also wonder if the band's 1964 appearance didn't exactly warm the producers to plentiful additional appearances. Their "I Get Around" performance was fine, but while "Wendy" was performed adequately apart from a biffed guitar intro, their performance of "Wendy" in particular was much less dynamic, and much more sparse, than any of the Beatles performances. A good amount of girls screamed for Dennis (and then somewhat less for Mike, then less for Brian, a few for Carl, and crickets for poor Al), but I'd say even other 1963-64-65 live TV appearances from the band sounded (and looked) better than their Sullivan show appearance.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:44:38 PM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »

Ah...I certainly didn’t mean it that way-just meant that I did talk about it there

Cool, I guess I read it the wrong way.

For the record, I'll always recommend your book as one of the must-have's for fans interested in the history, along with going to your website as a resource for similar info. Top-notch research and listings, a standard set very high. Also on the record I was upset not to see your name listed or credited on the most recent copyright extension release, unless it was and I missed it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2019, 10:01:58 AM »

I don't think the quality of the BB's earlier Sullivan performance was a big factor in bumping them, if it was a factor at all. Their first performance was pretty much in line with a lot of other bands apart from the Beatles around that same time. It's the real diehard fans that would pick up the little flubs and miscues almost 60 years after the fact - Not the people watching on a TV in 1964 with a smaller screen, spotty reception, one mono speaker about 3 inches wide, and either rabbit ears antennas or some metal monstrosity of an antenna anchored to their roof. And remember they did extra set design efforts for that first appearance, including bringing in those actual custom hot rods onto the set after Brian saw them at a car club and show and requested they be brought into the Sullivan set.

That's going pretty far for a band of kids in their early 20's I'd say.

The only thing with 1964 and 1965 is of course the British Invasion...and how managers like Brian Epstein were doing what was previously the impossible: Hustling Ed Sullivan in terms of booking other bands by piggybacking other "Mersey" and British acts as conditions for booking the big names like The Beatles. And Sullivan was no fool in terms of booking acts that would increase his numbers.

Which is again why deciding to go with foot-jugglers and a military chorus doing a medley of Civil War songs versus who was the most prominent American pop/rock band of that time is a real head-scratcher of a boneheaded decision.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »

Here's something else, only interview parts. "Where it's at" from 1969:

The Beach Boys -- Where It's At -- TV Appearance 1969 -- [ remastered, 60FPS, 4K ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK83VoWZfQw

They are joined by the Poppy Family.... Maybe an act they were about to produce for Brother Records?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 10:11:09 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2021, 12:10:34 PM »

Terry Jacks and the Poppy Family, so probably a connection via the BB's recording of "Seasons in the Sun"
CakeMix
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2021, 11:39:22 AM »

"Cotton Fields" from Happening '69 is played live and based on the 20/20 version. The performances of "Break Away" and Johnny B Goode" are also live.

Wow, that must be only the second time an act played live on the show. Wilson Pickett was on the show the year before, and did 3 or 4 songs live. IIRC, Pickett insisted that he and his band play live, so Lindsay and Revere went to the producers and insisted that he be allowed to do so.

The timeline for the show posted above is slightly off - the show began as Happening '68 early that year, hosted by Lindsay and Revere, as a once a week show. In the summer, Revere, Lindsay, and soon-to-be-Raider Keith Allison hosted a Monday thru Friday spinoff called It's Happening. That ended when the kids went back to school in the fall. In '69, Happening '68 became simply Happening, and ran through September of that year.
 I'm a Paul Revere/Raiders fan, so I know all this stuff.
I think there was also an episode where the Beach Boys promo film for I Can Hear Music was shown. The group themselves was not on the show that ep.

Is that where that "Just Like Me" clip comes from that used to get played on VH1 from time to time? Keith Allison is miming with the band and Smitty is punching a puppet.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2021, 01:31:04 PM »

"Cotton Fields" from Happening '69 is played live and based on the 20/20 version. The performances of "Break Away" and Johnny B Goode" are also live.

Wow, that must be only the second time an act played live on the show. Wilson Pickett was on the show the year before, and did 3 or 4 songs live. IIRC, Pickett insisted that he and his band play live, so Lindsay and Revere went to the producers and insisted that he be allowed to do so.

The timeline for the show posted above is slightly off - the show began as Happening '68 early that year, hosted by Lindsay and Revere, as a once a week show. In the summer, Revere, Lindsay, and soon-to-be-Raider Keith Allison hosted a Monday thru Friday spinoff called It's Happening. That ended when the kids went back to school in the fall. In '69, Happening '68 became simply Happening, and ran through September of that year.
 I'm a Paul Revere/Raiders fan, so I know all this stuff.
I think there was also an episode where the Beach Boys promo film for I Can Hear Music was shown. The group themselves was not on the show that ep.

Is that where that "Just Like Me" clip co
mes from that used to get played on VH1 from time to time? Keith Allison is miming with the band and Smitty is punching a puppet.
I've seen that clip. It's not from Happening - Smitty wasn't in the band during that time. I don't think it's from Action, as those shows were always outdoors. Probably some local show somewhere.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx