gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:22:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian live webcast tonite  (Read 7059 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »

How long has Brian been using a wheelchair as he apparently did at this concert?

Since his back surgery last year, although I think he's used a walker at times

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »

I wouldn't be at all upset with BW just playing piano, or even just sitting and "overseeing" the music, as someone else put it... Hell, I'd even love to see him play his Fender Bass again during the encore, he wouldn't have to stand or sing. Everyone going to see a BW show at this point, I think is aware of his story and struggles. Brian's band has so many great singers that surely the songs would be in good hands. Al and Matt sound great on the early rockers. Gary Griffin sang a lot of BBs leads when he played with Jan & Dean. The only song that would feel a little strange, if the lead was sung by someone else, would be Love & Mercy.

I've also noticed that as the years go on, especially post-C50, Brian likes to be heard on the piano. Why not just let him comp on the piano, and leave the heavy lifting to the band? That sounds like the best course of action going into the future, in my opinion. And if Brian really strongly does want to sing, it's definitely time to adjust the keys and tempos to accommodate for Brian's current voice. A bunch of songs were played in adjusted keys when BW started touring. Darlin, Be My Baby,etc... It could be done again. Musicians of that caliber probably wouldn't even have to stress and could probably make any changes easily.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:30:46 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
JonEverett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »

Search for a program called "ClipGrab". This will capture most things, including this. I've just done it
Jon

Anyway - try this https://we.tl/t-742MeOJCXD

Is Clipgrab malware?

I believe it is not. Maybe I should've pointed out the download is the concert, not ClipGrab. Hey ho.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »

I first saw Brian solo during the first PS shows in the early 2000s, and as anyone would expect, he has physically deteriorated since that tour. However the act and set has actually got better with Al and Blondie now regulars, so I believe it’s time for a radical reboot.

Rename any tour as ‘The Brian Wilson Band’. Brian’s onstage for all or some of the set. He sings a few or as many songs as he can manage on any given night. He wants to play bass? He plays bass. He wants to swap a song? He swaps it. Make the show more flexible for him. I was at the first ‘Final’ PS show in Auckland 2016. The band were feeling their way onstage, saying as such, and I loved it.

It is no longer a Brian Wilson concert. It is The Brian Wilson Band with Brian Wilson and Special Guests. Just go out and say it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:46:56 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »

How long has Brian been using a wheelchair as he apparently did at this concert?

Since his back surgery last year, although I think he's used a walker at times

Maybe just uses it for stage shows since it reduces the chance of him tripping on wires, etc.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2019, 05:29:48 PM »

I dont like how Brian seems to not want to be there

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 07:22:25 PM »

I dont like how Brian seems to not want to be there

I agree. I love Brian and his music has been there for me through thick and thin, happiness and despair, but watching this made me incredibly sad.

We keep hearing that Brian wants to be there, but he doesn't look it at all. And, although his health and age may be a factor in this, his delivery does not feel like he's trying at all.

Yes, the band, Al, Blondie, etc are great. But, I wonder if this is Brian's passive aggressive way of trying to get out of doing shows.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2019, 06:13:48 AM »

Rename any tour as ‘The Brian Wilson Band’. Brian’s onstage for all or some of the set. He sings a few or as many songs as he can manage on any given night. He wants to play bass? He plays bass. He wants to swap a song? He swaps it. Make the show more flexible for him. I was at the first ‘Final’ PS show in Auckland 2016. The band were feeling their way onstage, saying as such, and I loved it.

It is no longer a Brian Wilson concert. It is The Brian Wilson Band with Brian Wilson and Special Guests. Just go out and say it.

My thoughts exactly and I wouldn't ( nor any of us I believe) would think any less of him. We all know of Brian's struggles. Doesn't change the fact he is a genius. Time catches up with all of us and he has not had an easy life.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:14:17 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2019, 07:06:05 AM »

Just going to add my random two cents.  Please don't anyone take this as I'm attacking Brian; I love the man and his music and talents just like the rest of you, and I know much less of what he's been through (compared to the rest of you) because I haven't bought/read as many books yet.

I went to see Brian, Al, and Blondie perform Pet Sounds in 2017.  I knew Brian's vocals wouldn't be anything like the 60's of course, but I think I was expecting something on par with 2012.  As I'm still diving head first, I heard a lot of new songs (for me) that I loved...my first dive into Wild Honey started here.  I was initially lukewarm on Pet Sounds (other than the hits), but it's growing on me.  Obviously I was somewhat disappointed and saddened, because although I know we've heard to the contrary, but other than a couple of songs, he sounds like he doesn't want to be there.  "God Only Knows" (either from that show or what I've heard on YouTube around that time) made me extremely sad...does anyone think Brian's decline could connect to the fact that the full band isn't touring?  It sounds stupid, I know, but he was pretty engaged from what I've been able to hear on the C50 live album and from various clips on YouTube.  On the other hand, Al impressed me as expected.  I wasn't as initially happy with Blondie, but warmed up.  Same with Matt.  When I listened to the Wild Honey album and Let Him Run Wild, I was shocked.  I had liked Foskett more before, but now I had switched to Matt.  If I'm right, I had just learned about California Saga shortly before my show, thinking it was Cool Cool Water, and let's just say the real Cool Cool Water was a shock to hear, but I loved it (California Saga).  That song just does something to me.  Beach Boys + a country vibe?  Yes please.   The only thing that disappointed me with Al was that he refused in a kind of harsh way to sign my original 1966 cover of Pet Sounds.  Maybe that was a venue thing though?  I hope so because he's supposedly been fairly courteous.  Maybe he wasn't happy that he wasn't allowed to sign things:?

EDIT: Oh and watching a bit of this show last night didn't help.

Because of Brian's vocals, and the price, my family has been trying to persuade me from going if Brian's still going to be "detached."   I know he's gone through a lot, but I really enjoyed seeing Al (and can't see him because I'll be on vacation when he comes), and my interest has really been piqued by this new Brian/Al/Blondie/Zombies tour.  Not that I really listen to the Zombies (other than She's Not There), but the idea of Surf's Up cuts, Friends cuts, and other deep cuts makes me want to make the drive to NYC in September.  Ok, tirade over.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:04:44 AM by All Summer Long » Logged
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »

Watched most of it and it wasn't anywhere near the train wreck I was expecting. Al's voice is a National treasure, and the band is really good.

Keep Brian in the mix and double his leads where possible. A lot of people think it's time for Brian to step away, but hey, it's show business-if people continue to pay to see him, and he wants to do it, keep going.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx