gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:52:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (2019 Brent Wilson Documentary)  (Read 123519 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2021, 11:19:57 AM »

Ok, I was being a bit optimistic, I know. However, I specified no EXTERNAL influences. By "external" I mean those who are usually at odds with Brian's creativity, and I made a rather extensive list of them. But specifically included, as "internal", Darian, the rest of Brian's band, Al and Blondie. People who have repeatedly proved that they are NOT at odd with Brian's creativity. So no vacuum.

I don't think that Darian, the band, Al (at least now) and Blondie would dream of ever pestering Brian to be "commercial". I wish I could say the same of wives, producers, a couple ex-bandmates, and most fans. We owe that "At My Piano" gem to the unexpected intervention of an entity where somebody actually has some grasp of music (Decca).

I was, voluntarily, optimistic. But in any case I'll have always that doubt... what if? You mentioned Love You. I waited for something like that for more than 40 years. And I know Brian would never have completed Love You without Carl. But for that, there would be Darian. "At My Piano" would never have been completed, either, without him. Nor SMiLE.

I don't think for a second that Melinda or Joe Thomas are at odds with Brian's creativity. Melinda has been nothing but supportive of Brian's creativity (and simultaneously also supportive of Brian's drive for success). Joe Thomas, while I don't appreciate his production techniques, has been the only other collaborator, besides Paley, who has gotten Brian to write original material consistently in the last few decades. And while I completely understand any negativity regarding the production on Imagination, it has been stated numerous times by a person who actually knows, that NPP was mostly a Brian Wilson production. So while JT had his wrestler hands on the project, Brian was the main guy in the studio calling the shots. Brian was creatively fueled like a Saturn-V before liftoff for NPP. He was on the phone with Kacey Musgraves talking about lyrics, he was coming up with different ideas, leading the band, coming up with harmonies. Guitarfool has done some great breakdowns of some of the songs on NPP - it is clearly Brian going all-out.

As for the "externals" pestering Brian to "go commercial" - Brian has flat-out stated numerous times in recent years that he wants a #1 hit. So Brian himself knows the importance of going commercial. He's not going to get a #1 if all he does is channel his inner Love You, playing on some fart-synths singing about a Lay-Z-Boy recliner chair. He knows this, which is why he worked with young talent on NPP. If Brian didn't want to do these things he would just refuse to show up. He wouldn't be on the phone with a country artist conversing about lyrics. If Brian didn't want to go commercial he wouldn't have spent hours in a recording studio with Nate Ruess trying to get Nate's lead perfect. And after all of Brian's hard work and time in the studio, what happened? His fans sh*t all over the record. Hell, they lambasted the thing when just 15 seconds of it had been released on Facebook.

I think at some point, after Brian leaves this world for the next, a lot of fans are going to regret spending so much time wishing Brian was someone else (and wishing Brian was recording something else), when they could've just appreciated the gifts he was giving them while he was here. I've said it numerous times before, I don't care if people don't like everything the man does, heck I don't like everything the man has done. But I think fans could give Brian a lot more credit for what he actually does in the studio. And honestly, I think Brian has the best support around him that he could have right now. He's got a loving family, a loving band. I just wish Brian's fanbase were as kind to him as he is to them.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 15, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »

...it has been stated numerous times by a person who actually knows, that NPP was mostly a Brian Wilson production. So while JT had his wrestler hands on the project, Brian was the main guy in the studio calling the shots. Brian was creatively fueled like a Saturn-V before liftoff for NPP. He was on the phone with Kacey Musgraves talking about lyrics, he was coming up with different ideas, leading the band, coming up with harmonies. Guitarfool has done some great breakdowns of some of the songs on NPP - it is clearly Brian going all-out.

As for the "externals" pestering Brian to "go commercial" - Brian has flat-out stated numerous times in recent years that he wants a #1 hit. So Brian himself knows the importance of going commercial. He's not going to get a #1 if all he does is channel his inner Love You, playing on some fart-synths singing about a Lay-Z-Boy recliner chair. He knows this, which is why he worked with young talent on NPP. If Brian didn't want to do these things he would just refuse to show up. He wouldn't be on the phone with a country artist conversing about lyrics. If Brian didn't want to go commercial he wouldn't have spent hours in a recording studio with Nate Ruess trying to get Nate's lead perfect. And after all of Brian's hard work and time in the studio, what happened? His fans sh*t all over the record. Hell, they lambasted the thing when just 15 seconds of it had been released on Facebook.

I was just thinking of No Pier Pressure and Nate Ruess's interviews re working with Brian, so it's perfect that you brought that in here. I understand why NPP isn't everyone's cup of tea, but 1) I love it and think it has stood the test of time, and 2) it is 100% born of the described ideal Brian process (or as close to that as he's ever realistically going to get).

The Nate Ruess descriptions of Brian finetuning his NPP vocal parts on the fly track nicely with the way Brian is (literally) calling the shots re arrangements in this Honeycomb clip.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 12:30:08 PM by MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm » Logged
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 15, 2021, 04:41:39 PM »

Ok, I have really nothing to add and maybe I already said too much. Rereading my posts, I realise I was sounding like someone from "that other forum". I'll be content with aknowledging that we (partly) disagree, and I hope no hard feelings. Sure not from me! Smiley
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2021, 05:23:38 PM »

not to mention that the album wouldn’t have been completed without his brother stepping in to finish the job.

This is a huge myth that I'd like to see phased out eventually. Carl didn't step in to finish the job - he helped mix the record. What he was given to mix was a completed album, on 24 tracks instead of 2. All the compositions, lyrics, track arrangements, vocal arrangements, performances, etc. were produced by Brian. That's 99% or the work. Carl was in charge of whether that piano goes in the left or the right ear, or whether the backing vocals should be louder than the saxes in this section, etc.

In terms of Landy's influence... yes, Landy pushed Brian to write the songs, and a good half of the album may not have been written if Brian wasn't pushed. But the music still all came from Brian completely.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2021, 05:42:56 PM »

Thanks, Sloop! Yeah I think that’s something that I’ve heard so many times that I’m just used to thinking it. But yeah, I totally get that all the songs were completed (also agree that the music was all Brian’s).

And Starry, no hard feelings from me either. I think I have a knee-jerk reaction to criticism because I’ve heard so much of it through the years. I respect your opinion, and I’m just glad that there are others who share a love for this band and for Brian’s work.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2022, 07:29:15 PM »

My hope is that when LONG PROMISED ROAD goes to DVD/blu-ray, we'll see some other (judiciously edited) snippets that didn't make the final version. Brent Wilson alluded to a lot of material that was cut to get the film down to a manageable length; he didn't suggest that there was material that got dropped because it was either lurid or incendiary (I doubt Jason Fine would ever ask Brian on-camera about what he remembers about Charles Manson, for example--and we aren't looking for material with actual or implied pushback on Mike, since we want to think that there might somehow be one more Beach Boys project that involved everyone).

I think Brent created a tone that ultimately fell into a register that had to be low-key, that wound up emphasizing Brian's melancholy--and while that's certainly valid up to a point, I've got to think that there are some livelier moments that were cut because they were simply too hard to fit into the overall flow...they may have stood out too much in the prevailing context of the film. A few more snippets that cover a wider emotional range would be welcome--and possibly some footage of Brian working on the piano album (which I assume exists in some form or another).
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 16, 2022, 09:19:41 PM »

I have the blu-ray preordered from Walmart, which is apparently coming out on Tuesday. I haven't seen any official press release for it yet, though.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 16, 2022, 09:40:09 PM »

Couple more clips from the doc.

The writing process
https://youtu.be/Lv1p5qymJ3U

Meeting Elton John (and others)
https://youtu.be/LYJYNw24iPI
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 19, 2022, 02:06:19 PM »

(ups, sorry, posted on wrong thread)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 02:11:53 PM by Pablo. » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: January 21, 2022, 10:09:30 AM »

Watch two new clips from Brian Wilson documentary ‘Long Promised Road’

https://www.rollingstone.co.uk/music/news/watch-two-new-clips-from-brian-wilson-documentary-long-promised-road-9919/?fbclid=IwAR0EXIujNzmy-ZTMJ0J0m-g0t6HutxzYV-NIOyfYdGHCLmBZUoSTQ3xKL_U

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 24, 2022, 07:32:26 AM »

How Brian deals with his mental health
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQH3xGOBT6M
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 24, 2022, 08:33:51 AM »

BBC interview with Brian https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-60092069
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 27, 2022, 07:55:37 AM »

I saw this at the cinema (UK) last night with my fiance. I wasn't expecting much. From the trailer I knew there would be plenty of whats-his-face from Foo Fighters saying "Brian Wilson threw out the rulebook" and Elton John talking about putting the fifth in the bass for the millionth time. And indeed the talking head segments were the least interesting part of the film (does anyone else worry that the more we keep saying how important Brian is in the pantheon of American 20th century composers, the more it sounds like we're defending a controversial statement? Why state the obvious over and over again?)

However, overall I really enjoyed this film. I like how they didn't dwell too long on the Surfin' Years, or really provide a coherent chronology of Brian's career - look to every other Beach Boys documentary if that's what you're interested in. Brent Wilson and Jason Fine clearly understood that this is a film for hardcore fans who are looking for something they rarely if ever get to see, and that's an unguarded Brian Wilson. As my fiance said afterwards, he just seems to be a 100% pure, egoless human being who still doesn't understand the impact he's had on so many people and is still finding life difficult to navigate. When he's feeling scared, which is often during the doc, his answers to questions are still often one word, but the camera lingers on his face which says more than words ever could about how he's feeling in that moment. It's so rare to see someone, especially a celebrity, who has zero pretence about them. I've always been drawn to Brian because of that, and this film just made me feel that even stronger. As fans we've heard hundreds of funny/poignant Brian Wilson stories, some of which have become legendary - in this film you actually get to see a few happen in real time.

Highlights for me (SPOILERS):

Brian yelling at the guy in the Cadillac to find out what year his car is.

Brian explaining to Jason in a very Brian way why he likes his company "the way you talk is very consistent... when I feel nervous I listen to you talk" (Paraphrasing)

Brian getting stuck into a frozen yoghurt at the Deli the millisecond it's put in front of him and proceeding to energetically sing the praises of Carl's production on Holland.

Footage of Brian and Melinda's wedding with Mike and Carl in attendance.

"Can I get a click?" "Here it comes" "Here comes what?" "The CLICK!!"

Brian reminiscing about various visitors to his house in the 70s.

Obviously a very sad moment, but when Brian learns about Jack Rieley's death is a very emotional moment.

Brian listening to Pacific Ocean Blue and clearly loving it (up until "Farewell My Friend"...). One thing I noticed was how Brian finds it very hard hearing his brothers sing anything to do with saying goodbye.

The performance of Caroline No at the Hollywood bowl.

Brian reminiscing about the the tent and the sandbox at the Laurel Way House. "Young and Rich".

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 08:06:16 AM by leoleoleoleo » Logged
Ptolemaios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 27, 2022, 08:03:32 PM »

I saw this at the cinema (UK) last night with my fiance. I wasn't expecting much. From the trailer I knew there would be plenty of whats-his-face from Foo Fighters saying "Brian Wilson threw out the rulebook" and Elton John talking about putting the fifth in the bass for the millionth time. And indeed the talking head segments were the least interesting part of the film (does anyone else worry that the more we keep saying how important Brian is in the pantheon of American 20th century composers, the more it sounds like we're defending a controversial statement? Why state the obvious over and over again?)

As I wrote on this topic earlier, I agree about the talking heads. I wish Brian’s team would put a stop to this and advice the producers of any possible future documentary that there is to be no talking celebrity heads. 
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 27, 2022, 11:52:45 PM »

Just saw the documentary.  This is definitely not a film for pedestrian fans.  This is much more aimed at a fantasy of uber-fans such as the people on this board.  That fantasy would be... what would it be like to climb into the car with Brian Wilson and drive to all the places a Beach Boys fan should visit?  The film answers this question, and perhaps in the process gives a dose of realism to the fantasy.  Hey Brian, look, it's the house you used to live in and you haven't been there since 1967, what do you think?  "Oh, I wrote Pet Sounds there.  It had a really nice view of downtown Los Angeles."  *silence*

Part of me wonders what it would have been like if the documentary makers had been able to gain permission to enter these homes, or at least the yards.  I wonder if they tried?  Maybe they might have been able to get Brian to say more.

With that said, this uber-fan did enjoy every minute of it.  Brian is a beautiful soul. 

I am left wondering about one other thing.  Brian seems to have an off-and-on switch.  He sits there staring off into space... then when something occurs to him, he lights up, says what's on his mind, seems normal for a few seconds, then goes right back to staring off into space.  It makes me wonder if this is part of his illness or a side-effect of his medication?  I'm being totally serious when I say I have a cat that's the exact same way. 

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 28, 2022, 12:12:16 AM »

I get the impression that Brian talks (and is 'in the room' as his attention span goes) when the subject matter is interesting to him, and that talking about broadly the same topics he has for 50 years isn't interesting to him. Brian is a rich man, and unlike most of us, doesn't have to pretend to be interested in things he isn't for money.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2022, 07:12:38 AM »

As I wrote on this topic earlier, I agree about the talking heads. I wish Brian’s team would put a stop to this and advice the producers of any possible future documentary that there is to be no talking celebrity heads. 

I think maybe the makers of these films DO think that they have to go in hard on the celebs to defend their thesis.  The problem is they need to SHOW that Brian is important, not TELL.  Which, of course, most people lack the vocabulary to do -- even the record producer Don Was, when given the chance to show the viewers what makes Brian's music special, with the sessions up on a console right in front of him, is like "Welp, I dunno, man!'

Find smarter people and show us that the Beach Boys music is great.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: January 28, 2022, 08:50:08 AM »

I'd point out again that some of these issues were addressed by the film's creators in the "Pray For Surf" podcast back in November, and here's the thread to find it and comment:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27981.0.html

I think one point to consider is that ultimately this is a commercial film release that needs backers, distributors, and ultimately, an audience who will pay to see it or own it, and make the money back for the financiers. And the filmmakers want a wide audience of music fans outside the Beach Boys fan bubble to see it and ultimately explore more of the music after seeing the film. If they can bring in big names from multiple generations, like Elton John for one prime example, who also happens to be a massive fan and supporter of Brian's music, it's a winning hand to play. Likewise if you feature one of the Jonas Brothers, you'll immediately get potentially millions of fans who would never check out a Beach Boys related film wanting to see what Jonas is doing in the film...and they may like what they hear and the guy who is the feature of the film itself.

I admit, the inclusion of Jonas baffled me at first...until I heard the producers explain it in the Pray For Surf podcast (again, linked above, check it out). How many successful bands of the past 15 years or so have featured a similar lineup as the Beach Boys, where you have three brothers as the core of the group? I'd say the Jonas Brothers might be the most successful example, with Hanson coming in second. Not many bands have had the family and sibling dynamic that was the keystone of the Beach Boys, and having one of those brothers who can relate to that unique dynamic makes it a pretty logical choice as well as something I would want to hear expanded on. How is it to be a massive success and be in that celebrity bubble with your two brothers? Pretty interesting concept, and something I didn't consider as a reason until I heard them explain it on Pray For Surf.

As far as explaining why Brian's music is what it is, again I feel there is a balance between having the appeal to a wide general audience versus doing a deep dive into the theory and analysis in a general release documentary. Let's say they get a musicologist talking about how Brian went from a C sharp half-diminished seventh chord into an E major 6/9 as a deceptive resolution but then borrowed an F#7 flat 9 chord to resolve back to B minor as an example of "key of the moment" analysis...none of that is from Brian's music but it's just an example of how making it too academic would lose most of the audience. It would be like doing a documentary about Apollo 11 and going heavy on content featuring various astrophysicists and literal rocket scientists whiteboarding various formulae and equations to explain how the spacecraft got from point A to point B and came back home. Would it be great for college professors to show in the classroom? Absolutely. Would people in a general audience demographic go to a theater or stream/buy such content in numbers high enough to warrant a distribution deal and general release? I doubt it.

It's that balance between showing the humanity and the people involved versus getting too deep-dive oriented into the specialized details and analysis. Ultimately the humanity of a documentary sells it to a more general audience, as does featuring well-known celebrities you can put on the marquee to help boost the profile even more.

And in terms of who would be now chosen to give the Beach Boys history at this point as a talking head onscreen outside the band members themselves in future projects, I'll keep those opinions to myself.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2022, 11:43:17 AM »

Beach Boys star Brian Wilson looks back at his life in new film - BBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvQTQvCf6Ds

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2022, 12:39:07 PM »

As far as explaining why Brian's music is what it is, again I feel there is a balance between having the appeal to a wide general audience versus doing a deep dive into the theory and analysis in a general release documentary. Let's say they get a musicologist talking about how Brian went from a C sharp half-diminished seventh chord into an E major 6/9 as a deceptive resolution but then borrowed an F#7 flat 9 chord to resolve back to B minor as an example of "key of the moment" analysis...none of that is from Brian's music but it's just an example of how making it too academic would lose most of the audience. It would be like doing a documentary about Apollo 11 and going heavy on content featuring various astrophysicists and literal rocket scientists whiteboarding various formulae and equations to explain how the spacecraft got from point A to point B and came back home. Would it be great for college professors to show in the classroom? Absolutely. Would people in a general audience demographic go to a theater or stream/buy such content in numbers high enough to warrant a distribution deal and general release? I doubt it.

That's still telling rather than showing, and I don't think it matters who does the telling, it's still going to be pointless and circular, whether it's Bruce Springsteen or a Harvard Professor.

sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2022, 01:35:25 PM »

However Brian's music is presented, I think there's a happier medium than having Don Was say "Woah, what's that? A banjo and harmonica together? What a genius!" about a song with neither banjo nor harmonica.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 28, 2022, 02:31:24 PM »

However Brian's music is presented, I think there's a happier medium than having Don Was say "Woah, what's that? A banjo and harmonica together? What a genius!" about a song with neither banjo nor harmonica.

Absolutely -- his baffled, shrugged-off inability to understand a production does nobody any favors.  If you're gonna get a talking head to talk about the music, at least don't get a bozo.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: January 28, 2022, 02:45:04 PM »

Don Was may not have elucidated well in this new doc, but I don't sense he's a total idiot when it comes to this stuff. Remember that he directed the "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" doc, and wrote a nice little liner not blurb in the soundtrack CD.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 28, 2022, 03:29:06 PM »

Don Was may not have elucidated well in this new doc, but I don't sense he's a total idiot when it comes to this stuff. Remember that he directed the "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" doc, and wrote a nice little liner not blurb in the soundtrack CD.

I'm sure he's a lovely, competent man, but if your career is being a musician and you can't tell what a banjo doesn't sound like....  Shocked
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2022, 08:40:24 AM »

Don Was is not a bozo, by any stretch of the imagination. Just look at his resume, which includes four Grammy awards for production (including producer of the year), his production on two of the biggest selling records of the late 80's (Bonnie Raitt and B52's), and he's also been sitting in a big office atop the Capitol tower as president of Blue Note records.

He's probably exaggerating in the film for effect. Like saying "I don't know what that even is!" with a wink and a nod.

In a band history (and fan base) full of bad people and liars through the years, Don Was is truly one of the good guys.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx