gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:03:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (2019 Brent Wilson Documentary)  (Read 123503 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 23, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »

No, Nick Jonas doesn't need to be here. He doesn't say anything disagreeable; I just think it lacks any gravitas. There is a bit of a sense of trying to sell the viewer too hard on Brian's genius though some of these interview clips; a bit like a McCartney doc.

I also still find it fascinating how Al Jardine has been touring full-time with Brian now for almost TEN years, and he's still largely ignored. I'm not saying he should be a main focus, but we get more interview footage with Nick Jonas than Al Jardine in this (who gets one very quick interview clip). I dunno, maybe the point was to *not* interview very close friends and family for this (in which case, why is Al there at all then?). But Al would have some very specific keen insights into Brian's life, having been back in it since 2012 and being able to contrast it to the past.

Agree completely that Nick Jonas doesn't need to be in the film, and that it would be better to have more Al interview footage.

One thing to consider is that during the Q&A I attended last week, the director Brent Wilson said Nick Jonas was chosen specifically to try to broaden the demographic and pull in more non-BBs hardcore fans to perhaps consider digging deeper into Brian's work.

Apparently, according to the Q&A, the interview subjects were chosen out of an attempt to get a variety of different musicians from different parts of the world (The Boss from USA, Elton from UK, etc) and also music celebs who have a variety of ages and types of music they're best known for. And also it was stated at the Q&A that Nick Jonas was, like Brian, in a boy band, and then tried (and apparently continues trying - I have no idea since I've never listened to a note of his music) to branch out and broaden his musical output beyond the pigeonholed music he initially made with his brothers.

So whether one digs Nick Jonas or not, I can at least appreciate the intention set by Brent Wilson. I suppose if the idea of the film is to get more people on the Brian Wilson train who aren't already huge fans, maybe Al Jardine wasn't considered as vital to that discussion for the filmmaker's intent.

I also have to think that there's 100% an intent for Oscar consideration behind the film's release, so maybe they feel high profile celebs singing the praise of Brian is going to help nudge the factors in the direction to get a proper high profile award for the film. But ultimately, yeah, as a fan absolutely I would love to hear more from Al though, and less from Nick Jonas, no doubt.

I do hope this film gets an Oscar, who knows what will happen. I was certainly disappointed by the lack of awards and noms attained by Love & Mercy compared to what I feel that film deserved (and I tried to think about that film detached from my superfandom, and I still believe it's the best biopic I've ever seen, and at least as good - better in my view - than Walk The Line)... so I think that Melinda and company probably feel this film is another shot at getting Oscar or similar award gold for a Brian Wilson film. And I completely feel it's deserved, again, in the case of this great film.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:39:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 23, 2021, 05:41:24 PM »

I think more than anything, this doc’s point and purpose is spelled out by Elton. He says, and I’m paraphrasing, that Brian’s life of the last 30-odd years (post Landy) has been a creative accomplishment in itself. That is, he’s built a life of caring and compassion around him from nothing. Really, that’s what the whole doc is about. He made great music in the past, he can still do it to some extent, but really just getting through every day and communicating with the world is a huge challenge. And Brian is older and less gregarious than he once was, but dammit, he does it. He pushes through.

Like Carl says, it’s about the joy of life in a very simple way. The movie is much less sophisticated than IJWMFTT (which was really about re-creating the whole legend from scratch after the brutal Landy period), but it has a lot of heart and is far more spontaneous.

So very well put.

That Elton John quote was one of the most poignant lines in the entire film, and Elton's words brought something new to the overall Brian Wilson discussion.

The terms "musical genius" and "survivor" are often used with regards to Brian, and I suppose Elton's view is an extension of the "survivor" ideology, but Elton expanded upon that viewpoint in precisely how he put it... Elton really spoke that sentence in such a great, profound way (can't wait for a Blu-ray release so I can fast forward to get the exact quote); I found it quite moving and spot on. I hope more people begin to see Brian's story that way too.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:44:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2021, 06:27:54 AM »

Regarding Brian's seemingly weird choice of "It's OK" in the car, multiple times (when he really hasn't touched the thing since the 70s apart from being on stage during C50), I think it's quite possible that, at the time they shot those bits, Brian was preparing to do the studio re-record we see later in the film, and he's just getting some extra acquaintance with the song again. Now, *why* he was re-recording it then, I dunno. Maybe it was the opposite, maybe he kept suggesting the song in the car and then they cut it. Or maybe they cut it first, with a very general idea of the theme of something being "okay" for Brian.

But it is funny, because contextually for fans it almost seems at first like Brian's using a Mike-centric song as some sort of therapeutic white noise or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2021, 09:24:36 AM »

Regarding Brian's seemingly weird choice of "It's OK" in the car, multiple times (when he really hasn't touched the thing since the 70s apart from being on stage during C50), I think it's quite possible that, at the time they shot those bits, Brian was preparing to do the studio re-record we see later in the film, and he's just getting some extra acquaintance with the song again. Now, *why* he was re-recording it then, I dunno. Maybe it was the opposite, maybe he kept suggesting the song in the car and then they cut it. Or maybe they cut it first, with a very general idea of the theme of something being "okay" for Brian.

But it is funny, because contextually for fans it almost seems at first like Brian's using a Mike-centric song as some sort of therapeutic white noise or something.

For a while, I've wondered what exactly is up with the song "It's OK." It never made sense to me as a song. The final version from 15 Big Ones (which, in my opinion, is a shrill, annoying, unlistenable thing) is as we all know a standard back-to-the-beach record, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the song was conceived - by Brian - to be that.  I personally doubt it was, though I don't think there's any factual basis for my saying that. It's just (educated ) speculation. 

My assumption is that Brian came up with the music/musical feel/chords for "It's OK" and also came up with the tag line - "It's OK." My assumption is that the Beach Boys/Mike then take the song and turn Brian's (unfinished?) "It's OK" concept into a (dumb) summer-fun song, and that's what we get on 15 Big Ones.  In the finished version, the Beach Boys are saying, "it's ok that were doing this, that we've resigned ourselves to this thing we're doing, and it's ok for fans to like this kind of music from the Beach Boys."

Is this what Brian was originally thinking, though, by saying "It's Ok?" It might - he might have been thinking, "I've to get back up and write happy summer songs for us, and it's ok if I have to do that." That's possible.  Or, Brian was referring to something else. In Brian's 2016 book (I Am Brian Wilson), he says, with respect to his auditory-verbal hallucinations, "they are frightening... When I’m working on a record in the studio, they’re less likely to be there.  Lots of the music I’ve made has been my way of trying to get rid of those voices.  Other strategies didn’t really work." It's possible that to Brian, coming up with It's OK was his way of telling himself It's OK or it's gonna be ok or something.   Or maybe not. But if so, it would be consistent with the way it is used in this new documentary.  Otherwise, it's indeed hard to imagine Brian wanting to hear a mediocre Beach Boys song that, in it's finished form, represents so much of what went wrong in Brian's life and career.  Although anything's possible with Brian and the Beach Boys.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »

Given the very literal and direct way Brian seems to think about things, I wouldn't be surprised if he listens to a song called "it's OK" when he wants things to 'be OK'.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »

The Associated Press reports that BW:LPR has charted at #7 this week in Apple's "Movies US charts – Independent" category.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2021, 03:20:25 PM »

Has any announcement been made as to when this film might become available in Europe?
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 24, 2021, 04:22:12 PM »

Has any announcement been made as to when this film might become available in Europe?

I’ve seen no info about any release outside USA, not even a “stay tuned for info”. Very disappointing.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 24, 2021, 05:08:45 PM »

Thanks for clarifying.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 24, 2021, 05:16:02 PM »

Great movie!  Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 24, 2021, 10:14:22 PM »

I’ve seen no info about any release outside USA, not even a “stay tuned for info”. Very disappointing.
Which is weird, because last summer they announced that they already have international distribution covered. There's a lot of Brian fans outside of US and it's dissappointing not being able to see it when we are living the time of streaming. I tried a million ways to see it already, but VPNs won't work when all the platforms require a US credit card.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 25, 2021, 08:56:27 AM »

Which is weird, because last summer they announced that they already have international distribution covered. There's a lot of Brian fans outside of US and it's dissappointing not being able to see it when we are living the time of streaming. I tried a million ways to see it already, but VPNs won't work when all the platforms require a US credit card.

It's truly remarkable how inept the process is for the powers that be to not allow the film currently in other countries. Especially right when all the promo is happening and people are getting excited about the film.

Literally they are just begging for the movie to be pirated when they behave this way. When people are happily willing to pay for a product that's available in other countries and they make it unavailable, it just doesn't compute to me. International rights needed to have been worked out ahead of time. Whoever is in charge of this really dropped the ball. Oof.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 01:57:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2021, 03:28:53 AM »

If you want to watch it now

1) Get a VPN and set it to USA
2) Go to vudu.com (which will now load with the VPN) and look up the film and its price. When I bought, it was $14.99 for the top quality version.
3) On vudu.com buy a gift card for that amount (or $15.00, or whatever you need to cover the price). Pay with Paypal, use your own details and if it insists on a USA address, make one up. Set the recipient to your own email address.
4) Get the Vudu gift card in your email inbox. Go into your account on Vudu and add the gift balance to your account.
5) Go back to the film and purchase it and it should show your gift balance. Enter whatever details it needs to complete the purchase. Use any zip code you can find online

Worked for me Smiley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 28, 2021, 02:44:38 PM »

I just watched the documentary and have to say that I am overwhelmed emotionally. I cried at several points. Seeing Brian recording in the studio was a joyous experience for me. And I have to say that I’m kind of ashamed of the occasional criticism of Brian’s vocals, or performance, or songwriting that occur when people review “Brian Wilson”.  He is 79 years old.  He will never again sound like he did when he was 22 or 33 or 60. He has trouble walking around. Brian won’t do another Pet Sounds, I’m fairly sure.  But, my lord, he has given me more joy in my life that any other artist, by far.  To simply see him and hear him, that’s enough for me.  The guy is still LIVING, for goodness sake.  Look at what the man has given all of us, for nearly 60 years!  I truly love this man and thank him for giving me so many happy moments in my life. God bless Brian.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 28, 2021, 03:02:02 PM »

It's truly remarkable how inept the process is for the powers that be to not allow the film currently in other countries. Especially right when all the promo is happening and people are getting excited about the film.

Literally they are just begging for the movie to be pirated when they behave this way. When people are happily willing to pay for a product that's available in other countries and they make it unavailable, it just doesn't compute to me. International rights needed to have been worked out ahead of time. Whoever is in charge of this really dropped the ball. Oof.

For anyone involved with the international streaming or distribution of this documentary who might be reading. While Long Promised Road is my viewing preference, I’m watching The Beatles 3 x 2 plus hrs outside of the US with no problem....Just saying. 🤔🤔🤔
Bob has a Job
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 28, 2021, 06:26:41 PM »

And I have to say that I’m kind of ashamed of the occasional criticism of Brian’s vocals, or performance, or songwriting that occur when people review “Brian Wilson”.  He is 79 years old.  He will never again sound like he did when he was 22 or 33 or 60. He has trouble walking around. Brian won’t do another Pet Sounds, I’m fairly sure.  But, my lord, he has given me more joy in my life that any other artist, by far.

I get where you're coming from, for sure I do. And when it's an issue of range or tone I certainly am willing to cut Brian slack. And it goes without saying that the man is a titan, and a fraction of his back catalog would bestow him that status, and has given us so much and certainly owes us nothing. But at the same time, it goes back to "Cuckoo Clock" on Surfin' Safari -- the guy makes strange choices sometimes. Let me be clear though, I'm really just talking about Right Where I Belong, and that opening phrase with the terribly enunciated ending. What makes it so flagrant too is that he sings it relatively clearly ("that's what the music really is") later in the song.

I should add though that I'm in violent agreement with you overall -- it's beautiful to see Brian in his element and calling shots to make excellent music (I love the Honeycomb scene!!)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: November 29, 2021, 04:31:43 AM »

Enjoyed it, lot of old ground covered and not keen on some of the talking heads but some really great moments and a nice insight into Brian's life.

Very emotional at times re: his brothers and....Jack Rieley.

Was interesting to see the therapeutic effect a song like "It's OK" has for Brian when he wanted LPR off and it put back on in the car.

Hey!.....and Brian finally listened to POB!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 04:32:25 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 29, 2021, 07:40:05 AM »

I just watched the documentary and have to say that I am overwhelmed emotionally. I cried at several points. Seeing Brian recording in the studio was a joyous experience for me. And I have to say that I’m kind of ashamed of the occasional criticism of Brian’s vocals, or performance, or songwriting that occur when people review “Brian Wilson”.  He is 79 years old.  He will never again sound like he did when he was 22 or 33 or 60. He has trouble walking around. Brian won’t do another Pet Sounds, I’m fairly sure.  But, my lord, he has given me more joy in my life that any other artist, by far.  To simply see him and hear him, that’s enough for me.  The guy is still LIVING, for goodness sake.  Look at what the man has given all of us, for nearly 60 years!  I truly love this man and thank him for giving me so many happy moments in my life. God bless Brian.

It is baffling to me the firepower people into their criticisms of Brian. Also the constant calls for Brian to quit touring or quit making music (moreso the former). If one doesn't like the music, don't buy the product. If one doesn't like his concerts, don't buy the ticket. But yet people outright call for Brian to "hang it up" - how about you just accept that Brian is a human being who wants to give a concert. If it sucks then people will stop buying tickets. But I think most people get a TON of joy out of seeing Brian and his band perform a concert. Hence, the concerts keep taking place.

Casey Hardmeyer from PopMatters did a scathing review of NPP when that was released. He actually joined the forum to defend his review - I don't remember it going too well for him here. But really, when a guy in his mid-70s (who has a slew of mental disorders) records and releases an album, maybe don't spend half your review mocking the guy? I think because Brian gets balled up into the "Managers/Handlers" category that people think it's fair to completely trash an album because "maybe" Brian had very little to do with it. And meanwhile, according to people who are there, unless he's working with Jeff Beck, Brian works his ass off when he makes a record these days.

People complain about the autotune - it's like it's 1966 and someone notices the sped up tape of 'Caroline, No' and they bitch about vocal manipulation...meanwhile, just listen to the song, and it's beautiful even with the manipulation - that's how I feel about Brian's recent career. There may be odd studio quirks here and there, and some of the songs I will possibly skip, but overall there are moments of pure beauty in that music that no other artist has come close to achieving.

And granted, there are some songs that I don't like from Brian's recent catalogue, but I don't think that gives any fan the right to say that the man needs to quit music. Mike Love makes music that I don't listen to, but I'm happy that he seems to like recording music - he is 80 years old and has more than earned the right to record whatever music he wants to. And that's the way it should be for Brian.

I'm just happy that he is doing what he loves at his age - not many people (especially with his history of mental health and chemical dependency issues) get to do such a thing. Brian has been blessed in so many ways - I mean, he could have died decades ago from ODing. But he is instead still around and still making music - so not only is he blessed, but WE are blessed too, and some of us don't even know it or appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 07:46:34 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 29, 2021, 08:50:36 AM »

It is baffling to me the firepower people into their criticisms of Brian. Also the constant calls for Brian to quit touring or quit making music (moreso the former). If one doesn't like the music, don't buy the product. If one doesn't like his concerts, don't buy the ticket. But yet people outright call for Brian to "hang it up" - how about you just accept that Brian is a human being who wants to give a concert. If it sucks then people will stop buying tickets. But I think most people get a TON of joy out of seeing Brian and his band perform a concert. Hence, the concerts keep taking place.

This whole post is on point. If you can't see by now that touring and recording give Brian's life meaning and that he wants to be doing both, you've got your head way deep in the sandbox under the piano. And how lucky are we that *that*, and not vegging out on the beach, is how Brian wants to spend his retirement! (Not that it's surprising, artists gonna art). I for one love that little wiggle of distortion in the vocal on the intro to his new song. Yea, it's weird, yea, the first time I heard it, I was like "huh? is there something wrong with my internet connection?" But it's a weird funny cool little effect that I'm not sure I've ever quite heard anything like. There's no way anyone but Brian put it there, because hired guns don't do that kind of thing on their own initiative when they're working with legends. Like it or not, it's Brian messing around with new sounds and having a sense of humor in the studio - two things that made major contributions to the music we all love.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 29, 2021, 01:42:47 PM »

Anyone else want to box Jason Fine's ears when he ambushed Brian with info that Jack Rieley had passed away? Brian looked like he might have liked to.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 29, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »

Anyone else want to box Jason Fine's ears when he ambushed Brian with info that Jack Rieley had passed away? Brian looked like he might have liked to.

As someone posted, brian posted on instagram when jack died a small tribute to him, so he mustive known he died, but just forgot....

Also did anyone notice him say hes never heard pacific ocean blue? But ive literally seen video of him singing river song....

Guessing he just has a spotty memory...

Also, LOVED the documentary. My gf who isnt a huge BB freak like everyone on here , she loved it too. Thought it was great. Even told her mom to watch it. haha. Overall, was really impressed with it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 03:42:54 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 30, 2021, 05:34:27 AM »

In a Q&A about the film, Jason stated that he thought Brian already knew, and if he had known that Brian didn't know, he never would have said anything about it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2021, 05:55:05 AM »

As someone posted, brian posted on instagram when jack died a small tribute to him, so he mustive known he died, but just forgot....

Yeah, I think Brian just has a rather poor memory when it comes to some things (like Pacific Ocean Blue). Some may speculate that Brian is just pulling someone's leg - but really who benefits from this? Brian looked legit saddened by the news of Reiley passing away. And some may speculate that the Instagram/Twitter statement was written by a handler in Brian's tone. This suggests that either Brian was never told about Reiley's death, or that Brian doesn't have the capacity to write a short statement about the passing of an old friend. I'm sure Brian was told of Reiley's passing and he was probably asked to write a short tribute to the guy. And over the last couple years he had forgotten about Reiley's passing.

I mean, is it that far fetched that a nearly 80 year old man who spent years of his life addicted to cocaine, who then spent a decade+ being pumped full of pharmaceuticals may not have the best memory in the world?

It's sad to me what some people speculate about Brian's life.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 30, 2021, 06:21:20 AM »

I doubt very much that Brian has anything to do with expression of sympathy social media posts. Why would he?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 30, 2021, 06:41:03 AM »

I doubt very much that Brian has anything to do with expression of sympathy social media posts. Why would he?

Really? I'd just find it highly disingenuous if they write a post for him and sign his name if he had nothing to do with it. I mean, I highly doubt that Brian logs into Twitter and types these posts out himself, but I also don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Brian is asked to write something down for his social media team to share on social media.

If someone is writing that stuff for him and signing his name "love and mercy, Brian" I think that's really lousy and disingenuous. (For the Reiley post I don't think he signed it in his name, but the writing implies that he wrote it. And other posts his name is signed).

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx