gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
672910 Posts in 27111 Topics by 3985 Members - Latest Member: elcanja November 28, 2021, 01:28:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (2019 Brent Wilson Documentary)  (Read 69616 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 23, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »

No, Nick Jonas doesn't need to be here. He doesn't say anything disagreeable; I just think it lacks any gravitas. There is a bit of a sense of trying to sell the viewer too hard on Brian's genius though some of these interview clips; a bit like a McCartney doc.

I also still find it fascinating how Al Jardine has been touring full-time with Brian now for almost TEN years, and he's still largely ignored. I'm not saying he should be a main focus, but we get more interview footage with Nick Jonas than Al Jardine in this (who gets one very quick interview clip). I dunno, maybe the point was to *not* interview very close friends and family for this (in which case, why is Al there at all then?). But Al would have some very specific keen insights into Brian's life, having been back in it since 2012 and being able to contrast it to the past.

Agree completely that Nick Jonas doesn't need to be in the film, and that it would be better to have more Al interview footage.

One thing to consider is that during the Q&A I attended last week, the director Brent Wilson said Nick Jonas was chosen specifically to try to broaden the demographic and pull in more non-BBs hardcore fans to perhaps consider digging deeper into Brian's work.

Apparently, according to the Q&A, the interview subjects were chosen out of an attempt to get a variety of different musicians from different parts of the world (The Boss from USA, Elton from UK, etc) and also music celebs who have a variety of ages and types of music they're best known for. And also it was stated at the Q&A that Nick Jonas was, like Brian, in a boy band, and then tried (and apparently continues trying - I have no idea since I've never listened to a note of his music) to branch out and broaden his musical output beyond the pigeonholed music he initially made with his brothers.

So whether one digs Nick Jonas or not, I can at least appreciate the intention set by Brent Wilson. I suppose if the idea of the film is to get more people on the Brian Wilson train who aren't already huge fans, maybe Al Jardine wasn't considered as vital to that discussion for the filmmaker's intent.

I also have to think that there's 100% an intent for Oscar consideration behind the film's release, so maybe they feel high profile celebs singing the praise of Brian is going to help nudge the factors in the direction to get a proper high profile award for the film. But ultimately, yeah, as a fan absolutely I would love to hear more from Al though, and less from Nick Jonas, no doubt.

I do hope this film gets an Oscar, who knows what will happen. I was certainly disappointed by the lack of awards and noms attained by Love & Mercy compared to what I feel that film deserved (and I tried to think about that film detached from my superfandom, and I still believe it's the best biopic I've ever seen, and at least as good - better in my view - than Walk The Line)... so I think that Melinda and company probably feel this film is another shot at getting Oscar or similar award gold for a Brian Wilson film. And I completely feel it's deserved, again, in the case of this great film.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:39:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 23, 2021, 05:41:24 PM »

I think more than anything, this docís point and purpose is spelled out by Elton. He says, and Iím paraphrasing, that Brianís life of the last 30-odd years (post Landy) has been a creative accomplishment in itself. That is, heís built a life of caring and compassion around him from nothing. Really, thatís what the whole doc is about. He made great music in the past, he can still do it to some extent, but really just getting through every day and communicating with the world is a huge challenge. And Brian is older and less gregarious than he once was, but dammit, he does it. He pushes through.

Like Carl says, itís about the joy of life in a very simple way. The movie is much less sophisticated than IJWMFTT (which was really about re-creating the whole legend from scratch after the brutal Landy period), but it has a lot of heart and is far more spontaneous.

So very well put.

That Elton John quote was one of the most poignant lines in the entire film, and Elton's words brought something new to the overall Brian Wilson discussion.

The terms "musical genius" and "survivor" are often used with regards to Brian, and I suppose Elton's view is an extension of the "survivor" ideology, but Elton expanded upon that viewpoint in precisely how he put it... Elton really spoke that sentence in such a great, profound way (can't wait for a Blu-ray release so I can fast forward to get the exact quote); I found it quite moving and spot on. I hope more people begin to see Brian's story that way too.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:44:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2021, 06:27:54 AM »

Regarding Brian's seemingly weird choice of "It's OK" in the car, multiple times (when he really hasn't touched the thing since the 70s apart from being on stage during C50), I think it's quite possible that, at the time they shot those bits, Brian was preparing to do the studio re-record we see later in the film, and he's just getting some extra acquaintance with the song again. Now, *why* he was re-recording it then, I dunno. Maybe it was the opposite, maybe he kept suggesting the song in the car and then they cut it. Or maybe they cut it first, with a very general idea of the theme of something being "okay" for Brian.

But it is funny, because contextually for fans it almost seems at first like Brian's using a Mike-centric song as some sort of therapeutic white noise or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2021, 09:24:36 AM »

Regarding Brian's seemingly weird choice of "It's OK" in the car, multiple times (when he really hasn't touched the thing since the 70s apart from being on stage during C50), I think it's quite possible that, at the time they shot those bits, Brian was preparing to do the studio re-record we see later in the film, and he's just getting some extra acquaintance with the song again. Now, *why* he was re-recording it then, I dunno. Maybe it was the opposite, maybe he kept suggesting the song in the car and then they cut it. Or maybe they cut it first, with a very general idea of the theme of something being "okay" for Brian.

But it is funny, because contextually for fans it almost seems at first like Brian's using a Mike-centric song as some sort of therapeutic white noise or something.

For a while, I've wondered what exactly is up with the song "It's OK." It never made sense to me as a song. The final version from 15 Big Ones (which, in my opinion, is a shrill, annoying, unlistenable thing) is as we all know a standard back-to-the-beach record, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the song was conceived - by Brian - to be that.  I personally doubt it was, though I don't think there's any factual basis for my saying that. It's just (educated ) speculation. 

My assumption is that Brian came up with the music/musical feel/chords for "It's OK" and also came up with the tag line - "It's OK." My assumption is that the Beach Boys/Mike then take the song and turn Brian's (unfinished?) "It's OK" concept into a (dumb) summer-fun song, and that's what we get on 15 Big Ones.  In the finished version, the Beach Boys are saying, "it's ok that were doing this, that we've resigned ourselves to this thing we're doing, and it's ok for fans to like this kind of music from the Beach Boys."

Is this what Brian was originally thinking, though, by saying "It's Ok?" It might - he might have been thinking, "I've to get back up and write happy summer songs for us, and it's ok if I have to do that." That's possible.  Or, Brian was referring to something else. In Brian's 2016 book (I Am Brian Wilson), he says, with respect to his auditory-verbal hallucinations, "they are frightening... When Iím working on a record in the studio, theyíre less likely to be there.  Lots of the music Iíve made has been my way of trying to get rid of those voices.  Other strategies didnít really work." It's possible that to Brian, coming up with It's OK was his way of telling himself It's OK or it's gonna be ok or something.   Or maybe not. But if so, it would be consistent with the way it is used in this new documentary.  Otherwise, it's indeed hard to imagine Brian wanting to hear a mediocre Beach Boys song that, in it's finished form, represents so much of what went wrong in Brian's life and career.  Although anything's possible with Brian and the Beach Boys.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »

Given the very literal and direct way Brian seems to think about things, I wouldn't be surprised if he listens to a song called "it's OK" when he wants things to 'be OK'.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »

The Associated Press reports that BW:LPR has charted at #7 this week in Apple's "Movies US charts Ė Independent" category.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2021, 03:20:25 PM »

Has any announcement been made as to when this film might become available in Europe?
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 24, 2021, 04:22:12 PM »

Has any announcement been made as to when this film might become available in Europe?

Iíve seen no info about any release outside USA, not even a ďstay tuned for infoĒ. Very disappointing.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 24, 2021, 05:08:45 PM »

Thanks for clarifying.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 24, 2021, 05:16:02 PM »

Great movie!  Grin

And production aside, Iíd so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 24, 2021, 10:14:22 PM »

Iíve seen no info about any release outside USA, not even a ďstay tuned for infoĒ. Very disappointing.
Which is weird, because last summer they announced that they already have international distribution covered. There's a lot of Brian fans outside of US and it's dissappointing not being able to see it when we are living the time of streaming. I tried a million ways to see it already, but VPNs won't work when all the platforms require a US credit card.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 25, 2021, 08:56:27 AM »

Which is weird, because last summer they announced that they already have international distribution covered. There's a lot of Brian fans outside of US and it's dissappointing not being able to see it when we are living the time of streaming. I tried a million ways to see it already, but VPNs won't work when all the platforms require a US credit card.

It's truly remarkable how inept the process is for the powers that be to not allow the film currently in other countries. Especially right when all the promo is happening and people are getting excited about the film.

Literally they are just begging for the movie to be pirated when they behave this way. When people are happily willing to pay for a product that's available in other countries and they make it unavailable, it just doesn't compute to me. International rights needed to have been worked out ahead of time. Whoever is in charge of this really dropped the ball. Oof.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 01:57:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2021, 03:28:53 AM »

If you want to watch it now

1) Get a VPN and set it to USA
2) Go to vudu.com (which will now load with the VPN) and look up the film and its price. When I bought, it was $14.99 for the top quality version.
3) On vudu.com buy a gift card for that amount (or $15.00, or whatever you need to cover the price). Pay with Paypal, use your own details and if it insists on a USA address, make one up. Set the recipient to your own email address.
4) Get the Vudu gift card in your email inbox. Go into your account on Vudu and add the gift balance to your account.
5) Go back to the film and purchase it and it should show your gift balance. Enter whatever details it needs to complete the purchase. Use any zip code you can find online

Worked for me Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx