gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:10:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (2019 Brent Wilson Documentary)  (Read 123504 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2021, 10:08:43 AM »

Glowing review from Variety...
https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-review-tribeca-1234997934/
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2021, 11:56:05 AM »

Billboard review pretty much in the pocket with most of what we've seen so far:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/movies/9587909/brian-wilson-documentary-long-promised-road

Hoping it will become available to everyone sooner rather than later...
mtcarr79
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »

I'm starting to think 'Brent Wilson (no relation)' could become the buzz-phrase of the summer...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2021, 01:57:23 PM »

They said there will be wider distribution coming soon, so hopefully everyone will be able to see it at least by the Fall this year. It reminds me of how they did Echo In The Canyon, I saw that at a smaller arthouse kind of theater when it was released as a limited run, and the place was packed for the showing. Then it came out on the usual streams and home releases.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2021, 03:35:27 PM »

Very happy to see the movie getting such glowing reviews.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2021, 09:20:58 PM »

Obvious question, given that Brian recorded (IIRC) a new version of Long Promised Road, some oldies, and a fresh collab for the closing credits — what about the soundtrack album?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2021, 04:17:37 AM »

As for Brian himself, he seems in pretty good shape for a man pushing 80 who still hears voices, but the truth is that he doesn’t say all that much about anything.

Jason Fine is the easygoing friend who inquires about stuff, fields Brian’s one-sentence answers, never pushes too hard, absorbs Brian’s thoughts and feelings with sympathetic understanding, and talks music with him. He brings Brian out — at least as much as one can. And the thing about Brian is that even when he doesn’t reveal much, there’s something disarmingly honest and tender about him. He says just enough to get you in tune with his heart.

I know this is going to be an amazing documentary, but I am a little disappointed to hear about this^. I was hoping that Fine would be the guy to make Brian comfortable enough to open up in a more descriptive and detailed manner when answering questions. Given how great the reviews are, I'm not expecting to be let down by this movie, but I was hoping that Brian would shake his disinterest of interviews for this one movie, too.

On another note, the amount of times I've seen "Brent Wilson (no relation)" in articles about this documentary - I'm beginning to wonder if Brent should just add "no relation" to his last name Wink

Can't wait to see this!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2021, 10:40:16 AM »

I suspect there's just a limit, given Brian's age, memory, and physical state, to how much he's able to "open up in a more descriptive and detailed manner." I think it really depends on what you're talking about. Fine's success in the Rolling Stone pieces he did was to talk to Brian about the things he's doing now. That makes a difference. But I doubt Brian can give any more details about the '60s or '70s than he did in decades of earlier interviews, or in earlier films.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »

Yep, although:

Brian also went hardcore on the '69-'71 era in a way he hasn't anywhere else.
Depending on the day, the dude remembers -- him discussing the genesis "Marcella" was a pinch-me moment.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2021, 12:34:30 PM »

Yep, although:

Brian also went hardcore on the '69-'71 era in a way he hasn't anywhere else.
Depending on the day, the dude remembers -- him discussing the genesis "Marcella" was a pinch-me moment.

Indeed! Although I'd note that talking about "Marcella" is different than talking about "In My Room" or "Good Vibrations" for the 5 millionth time.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2021, 10:09:06 AM »

I suspect there's just a limit, given Brian's age, memory, and physical state, to how much he's able to "open up in a more descriptive and detailed manner." I think it really depends on what you're talking about. Fine's success in the Rolling Stone pieces he did was to talk to Brian about the things he's doing now. That makes a difference. But I doubt Brian can give any more details about the '60s or '70s than he did in decades of earlier interviews, or in earlier films.

Good point. I watched a short clip from the movie yesterday, and one of the questions Brian was asked was relatively generic - so I see your point - how many times can the guy be asked about his production method? For a documentary about Brian I totally understand the question, but I also see why Brian answers in the way he does.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2021, 07:26:32 AM »

Very interesting that the only Pacific Ocean Blue song Brian knew was the "evening news" one.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-brian-wilson-film-commentary-20210617-r2olme7rjzbwjmzfujx3qph6tq-story.html
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2021, 08:44:06 AM »

Very interesting that the only Pacific Ocean Blue song Brian knew was the "evening news" one.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-brian-wilson-film-commentary-20210617-r2olme7rjzbwjmzfujx3qph6tq-story.html

That is one of several comments from Brian in the film that are generating "buzz" among fans.  Another is Brian's assertion that he hasn't had a friend to speak with in 3 years.  Another is that he was unaware of Jack Rieley's death.

With regard to POB, some have pointed to contemporary reports from 1977 indicating that Brian was present during playback of at least some of the album. In any case, it's not a big deal.  Brian is a very honest guy, but his memory on some of this stuff is far less encyclopedic than that of his fans.  Did Brian probably hear all or most of POB back in the day?  Probably.  Was it ever up there with 'Be My Baby' on his personal play list?  Probably not.  And lots of times we forget that being a musician is Brian's job, and how much of our own jobs do we "leave at the office"?  I can look at work that I did 10 years ago, and I have only the dimmest memories of doing it.  A lot questions directed at Brian concern events and music from 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago.  It all seems terribly important and relevant to the questioner, but it may be ancient history for Brian himself.

With regard to the statement of not having a friend to talk to in 3 years, others have pointed out that Brian has friends and certainly does speak with them.  As such, his statement might not be objectively true, but is an expression of how he felt at that particular moment.   Let's face it.  Even going back to interviews in the '60s, the man has been known to say quite a bit of stuff that could be classified as hyperbole.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 08:45:38 AM by juggler » Logged
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2021, 09:07:58 AM »

Another review, apologies if this has already been posted

https://www.spin.com/2021/06/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-review/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2021, 10:09:07 AM »

That is one of several comments from Brian in the film that are generating "buzz" among fans.  Another is Brian's assertion that he hasn't had a friend to speak with in 3 years.  Another is that he was unaware of Jack Rieley's death.

With regard to POB, some have pointed to contemporary reports from 1977 indicating that Brian was present during playback of at least some of the album. In any case, it's not a big deal.  Brian is a very honest guy, but his memory on some of this stuff is far less encyclopedic than that of his fans.  Did Brian probably hear all or most of POB back in the day?  Probably.  Was it ever up there with 'Be My Baby' on his personal play list?  Probably not.  And lots of times we forget that being a musician is Brian's job, and how much of our own jobs do we "leave at the office"?  I can look at work that I did 10 years ago, and I have only the dimmest memories of doing it.  A lot questions directed at Brian concern events and music from 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago.  It all seems terribly important and relevant to the questioner, but it may be ancient history for Brian himself.

With regard to the statement of not having a friend to talk to in 3 years, others have pointed out that Brian has friends and certainly does speak with them.  As such, his statement might not be objectively true, but is an expression of how he felt at that particular moment.   Let's face it.  Even going back to interviews in the '60s, the man has been known to say quite a bit of stuff that could be classified as hyperbole.

In the mid-90s I read that Brian had not heard POB.  I knew of a record store that still had the CD reissue from 90 or 91, bought it and sent it to Lauri Klobas, and asked her to send it to Brian.  She responded back that Brian, exclaimed "That's my brother!" when she gave it to him.  That sounded very Brian to me.  Who knows if he ever really got it or listened to it.  But he surely had plenty of times to listen to it if he wanted.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: June 21, 2021, 11:59:15 AM »

There's a 1985 Westwood One uncut radio interview tape (haven't heard it in eons) where Brian is asked about the "Surf's Up" album generally and some songs specifically (I think "Take A Load Off Your Feet" might have been one), and Brian professes to have *never* heard of the album or song.

Brian's done this for ages, and it's quite debatable as to the reason. Sure, memory is a big part of it. And other times it's clearly one of his several stock dodge responses (in most interviews, if he says he's never heard a song, then he doesn't have to answer you question about it). Sometimes you have kind of interview momentum-fueled hyperbole mixed with one or both of those.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2021, 01:02:20 AM »

I don't blame Brian for not wanting to talk about Surf's Up in the 80s. It's easy to see why this album didn't bring up the fondest memories, even though many fans like it. He was not in charge of the band anymore and of course the other guys took and reworked one of his best unreleased songs to sell their own music. I'm glad it got released but that one must have really hurt his feelings at the time. I guess he was proud of 'Til I Die though, there's a 1981 interview floating around where he says it's one of his favorites.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2021, 07:21:36 AM »

If anyone remembers that news story from a couple years back about Brian going back to Hawthorne High and getting his grade in music changed from an “F” to an “A,” that was apparently shot (but not used) for this documentary. At the Q & A following the Tribeca screening, Brent Wilson described it as a “painful thing to cut.” Hope some of this bonus footage finds a way out some day Shocked

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2021, 07:25:05 AM »

Do we have confirmation on what new songs are in the movie after it has been screened?

Right Where I Belong
Long Promised Road - Blondie Lead

There was talk of Honeycomb, is that confirmed?
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2021, 07:44:56 AM »

Do we have confirmation on what new songs are in the movie after it has been screened?

Right Where I Belong
Long Promised Road - Blondie Lead

There was talk of Honeycomb, is that confirmed?

They show a tracking session for “Honeycomb” in the movie. The only other new studio song I can remember is an “It’s OK” that’s pretty faithful to the original arrangement. The movie also uses some songs from the vault in at various points—I recall hearing “Must Be A Miracle” and “Awake.”
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:46:28 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »

Another review:
https://thefilmstage.com/tribeca-review-brian-wilson-long-promised-road-is-an-intimate-documentary-replete-with-love-and-mercy/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2021, 03:17:42 PM »

Well, Tribeca has come and gone, and the vaunted "theatrical distribution deal" has yet to materialize.   Maybe that's still in the works, who knows, but it always seemed like something a pipe dream for a documentary like this, especially during a post-pandemic period when the movie theater business is on the ropes.   I only speak for myself, but I wish that Brent would just get it over with and cut a deal with Netflix/HBOmax/Showtime/Amazon etc., so that we can get on with seeing this film.
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2021, 06:58:56 PM »

Did Love and Mercy perform well in the theaters? I didn't even think my local theater had gotten it until it had been out for weeks. Although it would be really great, I couldn't see this documentary doing well as a mass-market theater release. Indie theaters or limited release, maybe. But I agree, streaming is where their heads should be at with this.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2021, 11:32:56 PM »

Did Love and Mercy perform well in the theaters? I didn't even think my local theater had gotten it until it had been out for weeks. Although it would be really great, I couldn't see this documentary doing well as a mass-market theater release. Indie theaters or limited release, maybe. But I agree, streaming is where their heads should be at with this.

The film’s budget was $10 million. The box office globally was $28.6 million. It played mostly in art movie and indie movie houses, which I think was the intent. I was glued to cable tv when the commercials for the film were airing and there did seem to be a disconnect between how the film was presented in the commercials vs. what the film actually was. It was marketed like a groovy, nostalgic Beach Boys movie when it wasn’t that at all. They really should have waited until Oscar season to release it. Also, putting the new song from the film on your album first literally killed Brian’s shot at an Oscar nom.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2021, 04:05:03 AM »

Well, for now the film exists in the brains of the people who watched it at the film festival in New York. I hope it goes further than that some day.

One film I monitored about another band got stuck in licensing hell for years after its premiere - as it was full of music, the record label couldn't come to a negotiation with the producers over the use of the songs contained. Lets hope they don't have this problem.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 04:06:09 AM by UEF » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx