gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:15:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (2019 Brent Wilson Documentary)  (Read 123559 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2020, 12:24:06 PM »

About time!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2020, 03:29:08 PM »

Great news

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2020, 03:00:00 PM »

TFF now has the full schedule up on their website. It will be shown 4 times over 4 days in 3 different theaters.

https://www.tribecafilm.com/films/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-2020
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2020, 04:25:22 PM »

TFF now has the full schedule up on their website. It will be shown 4 times over 4 days in 3 different theaters.

https://www.tribecafilm.com/films/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-2020
Nice!
saborlord123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2020, 06:16:52 AM »

I was hoping they would do limited theatrical run like Love & Mercy, but I don't think that will happen. At the very least i hope they have a blu ray or streaming release because if it's a Netflix exclusive, count me out.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2020, 12:46:43 PM »

Great to see some news on this, i think there might be something in ESQ.

I'm looking forward to the soundtrack album, which I think will be a little like the IJWMFTT soundtrack in ways.

Finally I'll get to hear Brian's take on "Honeycomb"
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2020, 11:12:35 PM »

Any further details on this version of "Honeycomb"? I know it's a song Brian has been tinkering with for many years.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2020, 05:37:40 AM »

Honeycomb was first kicking around when the Spring album came out, iirc. I think Brian talked about it in an interview with Richard Williams in Melody Maker (or was it New Musical Express?) at that time.  Around that time, there was also mention that Spring was hoping to have Jackie DeShannon produce their next project. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2020, 09:52:50 AM »

Honeycomb was first kicking around when the Spring album came out, iirc. I think Brian talked about it in an interview with Richard Williams in Melody Maker (or was it New Musical Express?) at that time.  Around that time, there was also mention that Spring was hoping to have Jackie DeShannon produce their next project. 

Brian and Mike also sang a short snippet of it during an interview while on tour in 2012 iirc. It seemed that both of them really like that song.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2020, 10:07:02 AM »

Brian and Mike also sang a short snippet of it during an interview while on tour in 2012 iirc. It seemed that both of them really like that song.
yeah, the interview is on YouTube, Brian starts to sing the song as part of a planned new tune/cover he had in mind, he also performed the song live in 2015 as an intro to I'm Broke
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »

There definitely seems to be a Spring version

“Honeycomb” – A cover of the old Jimmy Rodger's song was cut in October '74 with Marilyn on vocals. It features Roy Wood of ELO and Wizzard on the backing track. (Wood also played on the Beach Boys' “It's OK” from the same session.) The former Mrs. Wilson retains the masters to the Spring album, as well as a number of other Brian Wilson tapes from the period.

from The Secret Bedroom Tapes article
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2020, 04:41:05 AM »

How do we know that Honeycomb is in the movie and that there is a soundtrack?
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2020, 12:46:30 PM »

I, albeit vaguely, recall that being said at some stage in the early press around the dock. That may have changed, but when the movie is shown in a couple of months I guess we'll know.
sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2020, 07:56:06 PM »

The Long Promised Road gets longer. The Tribeca Film Festival is postponed due to COVID-19

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tribeca-film-festival-postponed-due-to-coronavirus-concerns-1203532234/
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2020, 10:47:23 PM »

The Long Promised Road gets longer. The Tribeca Film Festival is postponed due to COVID-19

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tribeca-film-festival-postponed-due-to-coronavirus-concerns-1203532234/
damn :/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »

In the YouTube page,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQWi6jzK220
Look at the first comment!

It's not just me. I don't know who Bob is but . . . we remember the same thing.

Oh, and, how could there possibly not be a soundtrack?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:23:35 PM by thetojo » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2020, 06:51:06 AM »

Depending on whether they were planning to play this at festivals to attract a distributor (as they did with "Love & Mercy" in 2014), or whether they already had/have a distributor, that might tell us whether we're in for just a regular long wait or a super long wait on this doc.

If they already have a distributor, they might see fit to push this sooner to VOD and/or a streaming service (and then home video), because the backlog that's already forming right now due to postponements for both huge tentpole movies and indies at film festivals is such that I don't know how many smaller productions like this are going to wait out another year potentially where, in some cases, they'll only be drumming up a small amount on the indie box office circuit.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2020, 01:49:16 PM »

My best guess is that there will be a crush of material originally earmarked for festivals that will be snapped up for streaming services over the next 3-6 weeks. If 50% of the festivals affected by COVID-19 eventually wind up sitting it out (i.e., cancel) in 2020, that's a lot of material that's suddenly been orphaned and may have to bypass theatrical distribution as a result.

So it's possible that around the first of May there may be a new status announcement about many films in this situation--and one of them could be LONG PROMISED ROAD.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »

Don’t know about the money side of things but with so many leisure activities now not an option, the thought of binge watching this and any number of delayed releases from the safety of my own home is actually quite appealing. Every cloud...
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2020, 12:16:11 AM »

Elton John, who has been interviewed for this doco, has tweeted that he's seen the movie.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:17:44 AM by thetojo » Logged
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2020, 02:35:05 AM »

Elton John, who has been interviewed for this doco, has tweeted that he's seen the movie.

And apparently he liked it a lot!  Cool

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2020, 02:46:17 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up.  His twitter blurb links to his Apple Music radio show (episode  #238) where he briefly discusses the documentary... at around 25:00 in, he says:
He saw the film a couple nights ago.
It shows above all else what a musical genius BW is.
BW is very honest in the film. Elton has never seen BW open up like this.
When it comes out, go see it.
He then plays the original recordings of Do It Again & In My Room.
He says that Bruce Springsteen is in the documentary and of course was influenced by the Beach Boys.  He then segues into Bruce's "Hungry Heart" for which he claims BB influence (though in my opinion, it's more the opposite with HH having been so blatantly cribbed for "Getcha Back").

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:47:31 AM by juggler » Logged
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2020, 12:44:38 AM »

There's a scene in the recent Elton John film Rocketman where Elton is offered a chance to meet 'half the beach boys'... shame they didn't show any!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2020, 05:00:00 AM »

In the ‘70s, Elton would’ve at least have met Carl since he did the background vocals on ‘Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me’. I wouldn’t be surprised if Elton had met a few others then. Probably not Brian though.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2020, 05:20:38 AM »

In the ‘70s, Elton would’ve at least have met Carl since he did the background vocals on ‘Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me’. I wouldn’t be surprised if Elton had met a few others then. Probably not Brian though.

I would imagine he hung out with them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJta6zMZKMU
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx