gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680552 Posts in 27595 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:20:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (2019 Brent Wilson Documentary)  (Read 122890 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2019, 05:45:29 PM »

One of the best I've seen in that regard was Scorcese's take on Dylan.

That doc was completely made up, at least big portions of it..which brings up a good point, would a fake doc about the BB be worth making/watching? I feel like the reason it worked with Dylan is he has such a mystique, doesnt do interviews, people dont really know much about his life, hell he doesnt even talk between songs on stage... that most of the made up stuff couldve been true and no one wouldve known....but so much more is known about the BBs, especially with Mike constatly doing interviews,  same with Brian, etc I feel like doing the same thing about the BB wouldnt really work....

I guess I'm completely out of the loop. Could you briefly expand on how big portions of that doc are made up? I have read many a book on Dylan, but it has been a while since I've read those books, I guess I don't remember anything in that doc being out of the ordinary from what I read in the books.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »

That doc was completely made up, at least big portions of it..which brings up a good point, would a fake doc about the BB be worth making/watching? I feel like the reason it worked with Dylan is he has such a mystique, doesnt do interviews, people dont really know much about his life, hell he doesnt even talk between songs on stage... that most of the made up stuff couldve been true and no one wouldve known....but so much more is known about the BBs, especially with Mike constatly doing interviews,  same with Brian, etc I feel like doing the same thing about the BB wouldnt really work....

I guess I'm completely out of the loop. Could you briefly expand on how big portions of that doc are made up? I have read many a book on Dylan, but it has been a while since I've read those books, I guess I don't remember anything in that doc being out of the ordinary from what I read in the books.

Oh, you know what, I just realized both you and guitarfool are probably talking about "No Direction Home" from ~2003 or whenever, which was great. The new one that just came out in the last month or so that Scorsese did is about the rolling thunder revue and most of the stories/interviews are fake and all made up. The archival footage is great to see and its pretty entertaining but most people who watch it dont know that its fake because its presented as a documentary....Bob tells a bunch of stories that are lies, people interviewed that were supposedly there werent there and are made up characters, etc. Still worth watching but just know that most of it is BS. Its on netflix
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2019, 10:19:13 PM »

Oh, you know what, I just realized both you and guitarfool are probably talking about "No Direction Home" from ~2003 or whenever, which was great. The new one that just came out in the last month or so that Scorsese did is about the rolling thunder revue and most of the stories/interviews are fake and all made up. The archival footage is great to see and its pretty entertaining but most people who watch it dont know that its fake because its presented as a documentary....Bob tells a bunch of stories that are lies, people interviewed that were supposedly there werent there and are made up characters, etc. Still worth watching but just know that most of it is BS. Its on netflix
No Direction Home is a great one. Rare to see Bob speaking so openly about his influences, inspirations; great concert footage, too. I haven't seen the new one; if it's going to be fiction, they should have just re-released Renaldo and Clara. Bob put a lot of money into that film, i'm sure the critics would still hate it, but the fans would buy it just because it's Bob.
If we're going to have a fictional Beach Boys movie, please make it one where Carl and Dennis don't die tragically young.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »

Jessie Reiswig, I believe you're correct. The original speed version of "Caroline, No" is still only available on the Pet Sounds Sessions box set. Unfortunately, this version isn't available on streaming services, such as, Spotify. Also, Spotify mistitles the stereo sped-up version that's included on Classics Selected By Brian Wilson as original speed.
It was also released on a single disc promotional sampler of the box set as well. But since it's only a promotional item, it will obviously be quite difficult to find.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »

No Direction Home is a great one. Rare to see Bob speaking so openly about his influences, inspirations; great concert footage, too. I haven't seen the new one; if it's going to be fiction, they should have just re-released Renaldo and Clara. Bob put a lot of money into that film, i'm sure the critics would still hate it, but the fans would buy it just because it's Bob.
If we're going to have a fictional Beach Boys movie, please make it one where Carl and Dennis don't die tragically young.

I know this is off topic, but the funny thing about what you said is the new dylan documentary actually has clips from Renaldo and Clara and makes them look like real documentary footage and doesnt tell you its from a movie...pretty funny you said that
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »

I know this is off topic, but the funny thing about what you said is the new dylan documentary actually has clips from Renaldo and Clara and makes them look like real documentary footage and doesnt tell you its from a movie...pretty funny you said that
Yeah, Renaldo and Clara was a very unusual film, seen by probably 500 people total. Part fact, part fiction, part concert film...which apparently is the same approach Scorsese took for the new film.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2019, 07:54:16 PM »

Anyone hear anything about a release date on this?  I thought it was supposed to be this year.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »

I was wondering about that too

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2019, 08:23:14 PM »

When I saw BW in Milwaukee, Either before or after(can't recall) BW's band perfromed Long Promised Road , Al mentioned that it was the title of Bri's move that is "coming soon"
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:47:18 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2019, 10:37:55 PM »

Like everything in BB's world an announcement is made then it takes forever

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »

I guess the makers are still shopping it around for a buyer. The market has changed as in where we once went out and bought DVDs, now it can be played on a Netflix or Amazon Prime etc. If they aren’t interested I guess the options are limited. The makers must have sunk some money into it so obviously need a good return.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2019, 01:07:00 PM »

Some of us still buy DVDs, especially when it's BB-related.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2019, 03:33:53 AM »

Per "Endless Summer Quarterly" - it's in the finishing stage and hopefully will get an independent cinema/festival release 'soon'

And additionally - Al Jardine reckons a Love and Mercy musical is being planned for Broadway.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:35:28 AM by UEF » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »

I actually think getting Netflix or Amazon (or HBO, etc.) on board to distribute the doc would be good, and perhaps the best move. It can still play at festivals and have a limited theatrical release (I can only fathom this doc would not even see the sort of upper range of "limited" release that "Love & Mercy" got), and then Netflix or Amazon (or similar) can get an exclusive window to stream it (and hopefully promote it!), and invariably it would also see a Blu-ray/DVD release eventually as well.

WAAAAY more people will see this doc if it's on a Netflix-type service.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »

I actually think getting Netflix or Amazon (or HBO, etc.) on board to distribute the doc would be good, and perhaps the best move. It can still play at festivals and have a limited theatrical release (I can only fathom this doc would not even see the sort of upper range of "limited" release that "Love & Mercy" got), and then Netflix or Amazon (or similar) can get an exclusive window to stream it (and hopefully promote it!), and invariably it would also see a Blu-ray/DVD release eventually as well.

WAAAAY more people will see this doc if it's on a Netflix-type service.

Agree. Netflix, Amazon, etc. is the perfect vehicle for this.  Until I got ESQ yesterday I had the same question re what was going on and was considering sending an email inquiring if they knew anything. Thanks, Dave!

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »

I followed another independent documentary film once that took years to come out (about 7-8 years after it was 'done') as they couldn't clear the music. Netflix is full of dodgy documentaries with soundalike music that don't quite hit the mark, and I'd hate for it to become one of those.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2019, 09:42:19 AM »

I followed another independent documentary film once that took years to come out (about 7-8 years after it was 'done') as they couldn't clear the music. Netflix is full of dodgy documentaries with soundalike music that don't quite hit the mark, and I'd hate for it to become one of those.

The idea would be that the film is fully made (more or less) and then sold to Netflix, who could infuse it with money to pay for music clearances, etc. Certainly, the moment someone decided to do a doc about Brian Wilson, they had to factor in music clearance costs.

So it wouldn't be a "Netflix Production", but rather Netflix just scooping up streaming rights to something someone else made and owns.

Netflix (or Amazon, HBO, so on) also *could* be a good partner for the multi-part Beach Boys "Anthology" style documentary I've always envisioned in my head. These streamers are dumping TONS of money into programming; if Netflix actually was a co-producer on a project, that actually increases the potential budget in many cases.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:44:14 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2019, 10:36:09 AM »

Netflix seems like the perfect idea but nothing wrong with showing it in a few festivals first

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2019, 02:35:25 PM »

Please, don't release it only to Netflix (which I don't have). At least release it to local cinema art houses, before it goes to streaming and DVD/Blu-Ray.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2019, 03:28:18 PM »

Please, don't release it only to Netflix (which I don't have). At least release it to local cinema art houses, before it goes to streaming and DVD/Blu-Ray.

Almost all of the Netflix originals wind up being released on physical media.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »

And additionally - Al Jardine reckons a Love and Mercy musical is being planned for Broadway.

Cool!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2019, 08:48:02 PM »

If it’s Netflix exclusive, expect it to get a lot of promotion.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2020, 09:43:25 AM »

FINALLY, some news!

Get excited everyone!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/2020-tribeca-film-festival-brian-wilson-ronnie-wood-961222/
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2020, 10:26:27 AM »

Cool!!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2020, 10:50:19 AM »

Fantastic!
gfx