gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:38:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (2019 Brent Wilson Documentary)  (Read 122907 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2019, 02:38:09 PM »

Mike Love is Brian's equal Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Nate, I'm sure you're a great guy, but c'mon, man.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »

Agree, saying they're equals is stretch.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2019, 10:19:02 AM »

I'm saying they're equal in terms of both just being men. At the end of the day we're all just people.

But obviously BW is the superior talent. 
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2019, 03:43:15 PM »

Somewhat related to HeyJude's most recent post regarding the history of pitch-correction. But I always found the complaints about Brian manipulating his solo voice to be hilarious, because he did it on Pet Sounds of all records for 'Caroline, No' - Brian has always used crazy ways of manipulating instruments and vocals. I mean, if you listen closely to 'Caroline, No' you can definitely tell that something isn't right with his voice. But no one complains about that. Just an observation.

Actually, I'll be the one guy to complain about the PS album version of Caroline, No! Haha.

Once I learned that Brian's voice was altered, and then I heard the original speed version on the PS box set, I immediately felt STRONGLY that the original speed version is by MILES the best version. You lose something in the process of not hearing Brian's voice as he actually sang the song. Brian's emotions and aching longing are compromised to some degree. He doesn't sound quite right, which is especially evident when you A/B the two versions.

I honestly though I was the only person for felt that way about Caroline, No...

I'll agree with you guys as well. I far prefer the original-speed version of Caroline, No. And when I play the song, that's what I play. I just think it's far more devastating, somber and emotional. Is it still only available on the Pet Sounds Sessions box set?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »

Jessie Reiswig, I believe you're correct. The original speed version of "Caroline, No" is still only available on the Pet Sounds Sessions box set. Unfortunately, this version isn't available on streaming services, such as, Spotify. Also, Spotify mistitles the stereo sped-up version that's included on Classics Selected By Brian Wilson as original speed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:37:55 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »

Somewhat related to HeyJude's most recent post regarding the history of pitch-correction. But I always found the complaints about Brian manipulating his solo voice to be hilarious, because he did it on Pet Sounds of all records for 'Caroline, No' - Brian has always used crazy ways of manipulating instruments and vocals. I mean, if you listen closely to 'Caroline, No' you can definitely tell that something isn't right with his voice. But no one complains about that. Just an observation.

Actually, I'll be the one guy to complain about the PS album version of Caroline, No! Haha.

Once I learned that Brian's voice was altered, and then I heard the original speed version on the PS box set, I immediately felt STRONGLY that the original speed version is by MILES the best version. You lose something in the process of not hearing Brian's voice as he actually sang the song. Brian's emotions and aching longing are compromised to some degree. He doesn't sound quite right, which is especially evident when you A/B the two versions.

I honestly though I was the only person for felt that way about Caroline, No...

I'll agree with you guys as well. I far prefer the original-speed version of Caroline, No. And when I play the song, that's what I play. I just think it's far more devastating, somber and emotional. Is it still only available on the Pet Sounds Sessions box set?

Totally. I know it's just a matter of opinion, but I don't know how anyone can A/B listen to both versions, and say that they find the sped-up version *more* emotionally impactful or fulfilling. It's totally unnatural. It's like Murry was taking a cue from Alvin & The Chipmunks creator Ross Bagdasarian when he suggested it to Brian. Granted, Brian hasn't been modified as much as Alvin, Simon, or Theodore, but it's partway there. Unnatural and unnecessary.

I think that any listener who clings to the viewpoint that the sped-up album is the superior version is simply saying that because they have sentimental attachment from hearing it that way (and only that way) for 31 years, until the box set version was released. Or I suppose it's also because Brian said "okay" and went ahead and approved the speed change in '66 himself. But objectively, I cannot see how in hindsight it can be considered a smart decision artistically speaking. Brian in this era usually made great decisions; this was not one of them. IMHO.

Was it commonly known by fans for decades that the Caroline, No album version was in fact sped-up? Or was that somewhat of an insider secret? If people didn't realize it, I imagine they'd still feel something was a bit off with Brian's voice, but might not have been sure what it was.

I wonder if any fans attempted a homemade pitch-corrected version on their own before the box set was released. I imagine it wouldn't have been all that hard to roughly approximate, that is if they knew the science of the speed parameters that the original was modified by.

Jessie Reiswig, I believe you're correct. The original speed version of "Caroline, No" is still only available on the Pet Sounds Sessions box set. Unfortunately, this version isn't available on streaming services, such as, Spotify. Also, Spotify mistitles the stereo sped-up version that's included on Classics Selected By Brian Wilson as original speed.

That's a damn shame that it's not on proper streaming services. Good thing for YouTube and my iPod classic.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:51:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2019, 04:57:40 PM »

That's a damn shame that it's not on proper streaming services. Good thing for YouTube and my iPod classic.

The tracks (stereo and mono) can still be purchased on iTunes. Weirdly, iTunes mistitles the box set as "40th anniversary".

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »

(is afraid get in this conversation about ‘Caroline, No’ because he prefers the sped up version on the album)

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2019, 12:48:13 AM »

(is afraid get in this conversation about ‘Caroline, No’ because he prefers the sped up version on the album)

+1

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2019, 02:08:21 AM »

IMO, Murry was correct in suggesting that Caroline No be sped up, and Brian made the right call in following his advice.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »

the speeding up of CN was most probably done at the time for the 45 single release, in other words that's what Murry & Capitol felt was necessary if a Brian Wilson solo record was going to have the best radio play chance

the speed change was merely carried over when it was placed on the PS album now as a group effort
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2019, 07:32:59 AM »

the speeding up of CN was most probably done at the time for the 45 single release, in other words that's what Murry & Capitol felt was necessary if a Brian Wilson solo record was going to have the best radio play chance

the speed change was merely carried over when it was placed on the PS album now as a group effort

I don't think Capitol had anything to do with that decision. And Murry had nothing to say about their releases (he was fired by then), it was just a suggestion by him to Brian. Brian liked it and wen ahead with it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »

I don't think Capitol had anything to do with that decision. And Murry had nothing to say about their releases (he was fired by then), it was just a suggestion by him to Brian. Brian liked it and went ahead with it.

I don't think he ever changed his mind either. For the Classics Selected By Brian Wilson comp, he said that CN "represents the sweetest I can sing" (which I find very interesting considering it's sped-up). Does anyone recall if he mentioned it in his book?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:23:16 AM by B.E. » Logged

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2019, 01:28:07 AM »

I'm very anti-autotune/pitch correction for a variety of reasons I won't get into, but taking a step back from my own personal preferences, the best analogy is CGI in a film. Does that effect blend in seamlessly, or is it so obviously done that it takes you out of the film entirely like a cheap process shot of a giant lobster in a '50s sci-fi flick? There are many gradations in between and even I would agree there are times that you just can't get the performance and to leave it uncorrected would take you out of the song just as egregiously (though there are ways to get around this other than pitch correction).

I have a lot of trouble with TWGMTR (the album, not the song, which I like a lot) because the processing "takes me out of the movie" as it were, especially on those later tracks which are otherwise very good. I also thought the album was very lacking in top end, and at one point I took the album and remastered it myself, and discovered that when you added in more top all the processing just flew out and became blatantly obvious. So there's a sort of back door effect in that way as well - it's going to affect the overall balance of the EQ and how much spread you can get away with. I remember NPR did a segment where they played something from TWGMTR and WIBN back-to-back and the former really suffered by comparison....very thin and dull, relatively speaking, by contrast to the older track.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:29:06 AM by adamghost » Logged
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2019, 08:39:03 AM »

Obviously, first and foremost, I'd like to see a "Beatles Anthology" style multi-part BB documentary covering everything.

So would I, but I don't think there are enough lawyers in the world to deal with the mess that would ensue - too many sides to too many stories.  The Beatles had the advantage of far more documentation over the years so that facts could be confirmed.

I am quite excited at the thought of Brian singing these lyrics, with his band on the backing:

"Hit hard at the battle that confronted me, yeah
Knocked down all the roadblocks stumbling me
Throw off all the shackles that were binding me down"

And remember, we don't know the genesis of the song.  Brian could have been around when Carl was working on it, or maybe Carl's inspiration came from conversation with Brian.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2019, 10:41:13 AM »

Obviously, first and foremost, I'd like to see a "Beatles Anthology" style multi-part BB documentary covering everything.

So would I, but I don't think there are enough lawyers in the world to deal with the mess that would ensue - too many sides to too many stories.  The Beatles had the advantage of far more documentation over the years so that facts could be confirmed.

I am quite excited at the thought of Brian singing these lyrics, with his band on the backing:

And remember, we don't know the genesis of the song.  Brian could have been around when Carl was working on it, or maybe Carl's inspiration came from conversation with Brian.

As with the Beatles Anthology, the idea with a similar BB doc would be that it would be authorized and have BRI involved as a producer, as was the case with "Endless Harmony." The downside of course is that you rarely get the most warts-and-all information. The plus side would be easier access to some archival elements and *some* publishing clearances, more clout from BRI in approaching a partner (e.g. Netflix, HBO, etc.) to finance and air the documentary, and full access to interview the members at length. They could also of course contribute photos, film/video, audio, etc. from their personal archives.

As far as legal issues with entities/people outside of the band, BRI and/or the producing partner would vet all of that through legal.

Somebody should get some prime movers and shakers in the movie and film industry to pitch a long-form BB doc to somebody like Netflix or HBO or Amazon, all of whom are throwing TONS of money at programming right now. One of the biggest costs would be clearing rights to film/video footage (e.g. TV shows, etc.), and paying for sync rights to music outside of the stuff the band owns the publishing for (meaning most of the 60s material).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »

This whole topic has me fantasizing about a Brian album comprised entirely of songs written by Dennis and Carl...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 05:05:48 AM »

As with the Beatles Anthology, the idea with a similar BB doc would be that it would be authorized and have BRI involved as a producer, as was the case with "Endless Harmony." The downside of course is that you rarely get the most warts-and-all information. The plus side would be easier access to some archival elements and *some* publishing clearances, more clout from BRI in approaching a partner (e.g. Netflix, HBO, etc.) to finance and air the documentary, and full access to interview the members at length. They could also of course contribute photos, film/video, audio, etc. from their personal archives.

As far as legal issues with entities/people outside of the band, BRI and/or the producing partner would vet all of that through legal.

Somebody should get some prime movers and shakers in the movie and film industry to pitch a long-form BB doc to somebody like Netflix or HBO or Amazon, all of whom are throwing TONS of money at programming right now. One of the biggest costs would be clearing rights to film/video footage (e.g. TV shows, etc.), and paying for sync rights to music outside of the stuff the band owns the publishing for (meaning most of the 60s material).

A Netflix docu-series would be amazing. They’ve had some good docu-series recently, especially the series Wild Wild Country, and their Formula 1 show is pretty good.

I wonder if Ken Burns would ever tackle the subject - as his docuseries have always been Americana-centered, doing a docuseries on “America’s Band” would only make sense. And I bet such a documentary would cut to the heart of the problems with the relationships in the band - taking both sides of the argument seriously, perhaps even giving some much needed perspective to both sides of the isle.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2019, 07:01:41 AM »

A Netflix docu-series would be amazing. They’ve had some good docu-series recently, especially the series Wild Wild Country, and their Formula 1 show is pretty good.

I wonder if Ken Burns would ever tackle the subject - as his docuseries have always been Americana-centered, doing a docuseries on “America’s Band” would only make sense. And I bet such a documentary would cut to the heart of the problems with the relationships in the band - taking both sides of the argument seriously, perhaps even giving some much needed perspective to both sides of the isle.

But did Burns ever do a documentary focused on one single act? He has his new documentary about Country Music coming out this year, which will also be a multi-part show and of course not about just one artist. I'm sure he would do a great job, I just don't know if it's where his MO is.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2019, 07:32:40 AM »

I don't know if Ken Burns is as invested in the Beach Boys as he was in some of his other projects. I think having a filmmaker who has a deeper connection to the subject matter can also be a double-edged sword, because you may not get an unbiased delivery of the facts, but you'll also get a more personal view overall because the documentarian is ultimately a fan.

One of the best I've seen in that regard was Scorcese's take on Dylan. And, more recently, I watched Jim Jarmusch's documentary on The Stooges, where it focused on Iggy Pop himself as much as the band, and I thought it was terrific. It changed my views on Iggy in particular, and I think that's what the best docs tend to do, again like the Dylan film.

In this way, I'm thinking this latest project might be perhaps the best way to capture Brian Wilson on film. Just let the camera roll and let him talk and expand on whatever topics come up.

The other issue with the Beach Boys and any future docs about them might be the way history has been tried to be reshaped and rewritten regarding certain issues surrounding the band and band members, and if the behind-the-scenes campaigning gets into the inner workings of making a documentary about them, you may have someone on camera presented as an authority on this-or-that playing into the rewrite and having it taken as fact. Beyond that, and it's happened before so there is precedent going back decades, the members may be given veto power over the content to where certain topics would be labeled off limits for the film. I don't know at this point, especially after all that has happened, if a truly comprehensive account could be filmed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:34:05 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2019, 05:44:59 PM »

Has there been any news on when this documentary will be released?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2019, 08:49:27 PM »

Not a word

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2019, 06:56:20 AM »

The non sped up Caroline No is the way to go (IMO).   It makes no sense to speed it up.  You don't want the character of the song sounding younger because it's a guy reflecting back on something that he now feels is irrevocably lost.  If Pet Sounds is a guys journey from youthful hope to adult resignation then CN ought to sound mature (and I say that lightly because Brian still sounds young in the non-sped up version) because the guy has grown - through experience and heart break, etc.  Murry was wrong, Brian (gasp!) was wrong and all of you who like the sped up version are wrong!  lol Tongue
And Don't Worry Baby is NOT a car song either.  
So there.  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:01:20 AM by SenorPotatoHead » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2019, 11:21:42 AM »

The non sped up Caroline No is the way to go (IMO).   It makes no sense to speed it up.  You don't want the character of the song sounding younger because it's a guy reflecting back on something that he now feels is irrevocably lost.  If Pet Sounds is a guys journey from youthful hope to adult resignation then CN ought to sound mature (and I say that lightly because Brian still sounds young in the non-sped up version) because the guy has grown - through experience and heart break, etc.  Murry was wrong, Brian (gasp!) was wrong and all of you who like the sped up version are wrong!  lol Tongue
And Don't Worry Baby is NOT a car song either.  
So there.  

+1 Smiley
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2019, 05:07:15 PM »

One of the best I've seen in that regard was Scorcese's take on Dylan.

That doc was completely made up, at least big portions of it..which brings up a good point, would a fake doc about the BB be worth making/watching? I feel like the reason it worked with Dylan is he has such a mystique, doesnt do interviews, people dont really know much about his life, hell he doesnt even talk between songs on stage... that most of the made up stuff couldve been true and no one wouldve known....but so much more is known about the BBs, especially with Mike constatly doing interviews,  same with Brian, etc I feel like doing the same thing about the BB wouldnt really work....
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx