gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:31:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian article  (Read 24622 times)
MBE
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2006, 12:26:51 AM »

Brian is someone we all care about because his music and story have made our lives better. We don't know him as a person, and what  goes in his life is ultimately his own decision good or bad. That includes letting other people make those decisions for him. It is his own doing IF that really is what is going on. If he has a measure of happiness great, he seems like a good man. He seems to not mean anyone harm, he is the one who has to live with the choices he makes not us. I really didn't want this subject to lead to anybody being angry or anything. I think we have all said how we feel about Brian's marriage and his daughters. We all have to come to our own conclusions and I don't think that is putting Brian down. Truth is not always simple, easy, or happy, but it is his life not ours. I simply hope that he is getting the satisfaction today that he denied himself so long.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2006, 12:34:31 AM »

I truly feel like this is none of our business. I know the BBs and BW have aired their private lives in public for years -- it's their way -- but this all really crosses a line for me. I don't care what kid Brian saw where or anything. Just let the poor man be.

I completely agree with this. If you want the man to be happy then don't start dissecting his private life, looking for clues that his whole world is a disfunctional sham.

There seems to be an awful lot of suspicion about Melinda's motives, without too much hard evidence to back it up:

It  depends on what Melinda's real motivations are. We don't know the whole story...well, some of us do, and just can't say nothing due to confidentiality. Let's just say things are not what they seem. Finding out the real truth is like playing leapfrog with a unicorn...difficult and quite painful.

It strikes me that some just enjoy stirring up a negative perception of Brian Wilson's present day reality. Until there are hard facts then this is all just mean-spirited gossip and bitching in my opinion - why anyone would want to perpetuate this kind of negativity is beyond me.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2006, 02:42:56 AM »

Chosing my words very carefully here... I think there's enough been said in interviews over the past few years, by people from Brian on down, and ample public evidence for valid opinions to be formulated. Personally, I don't subscribe to the BlueBoard ethos that everything in the World Of Wilson is just peachy. I know little enough of Brian's home life, but purely on a professional front, things ain't good. Correct me if I'm wrong but all of Brian's solo albums have been on different labels and - BWPS excepted, a special case if ever there was one - have followed the principle of diminishing returns in terms of sales and chart positions. That's not good management.

I think that within ten years, maybe less, the accurate story of Brian's post-Landy life and career will emerge, and that it will be a very interesting day for all of us, boosters and naysayers alike. Hints have emerged recently.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2006, 06:32:27 AM »

I know nothing of Brian's life and very little about the music business. But to say "things ain't good"...well, that's not necessarily the case. There are plenty of bands with diminishing returns. Doesn't mean their management is horrible. Look at REM, for instance. The fact is that Brian is not a hitmaker anymore. Even a charmer like Paul McCartney isn't exactly at the top of the charts. Brian is 64 years old, with a longtime reputation for being a weird recluse, fair or not, and he doesn't have the ability to refute that by giving some great interview in Rolling Stone or something. A lot of people don't even recognize his name. Brian has never had a successful solo career, but that's not down to management. That's down to the fact that his name a lot less recognizable than the Beach Boys' name.

As far as Brian being on a different label with every album, I have no idea why that is, and I'm sure you know better, Andrew. I don't think anyone expects that if Brian stayed on one, supportive label for several albums, he'd start to sell millions of albums. I'm sure that he wants hits because that mentality is part of how he was raised, but those around him may feel that the goal is as much to get his brain going again as it is to sell albums. And the fact that Brian toured for years with an amazingly talented band and that the pendulum has swung a bit from "Brian Wilson, weird recluse to Brian Wilson, genius composer" is a step in the right direction. Whoever is responsible for making that happen deserves some credit. I have no idea if Melinda is good to Brian or not, but is there real evidence that she's not? If Melinda is a wonderful wife but a mediocre manager, well, at least give her some props. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be in her position, and I get tired of women getting maligned for using their brains or expressing their opinions. Cue Linda, Yoko, Hillary, or whoever. I don't like the "She's just his wife and should stay out of it" mentality. Melinda has made mistakes, I'm sure, but have they been worse than mistakes made by Brian's previous management?
Wilsonista
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2006, 08:59:29 AM »

Well said, Amy. You make some excellent points in your posts.

Melinda's has made some excellent decisions with Brian's career (hiring Wondermints was the best move anyone could have made).

But she has also made some poor ones too (piggybacking GIOMH  with SMiLE).

That said, she gets treated rather unfairly.
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2006, 09:18:36 AM »

A lot of people don't even recognize his name.
Or if they do, the response may well be, "Him? Is he still alive?" I can personally attest to this.

Did BWPS not come out under Melinda's watch? Is it not better than any long-time fan/obsessive could have realistically hoped for, given BW being who and what he is (I am not long-time by any means. If you are and don't feel this way, feel free to tell me I'm full of ____.)

Give Melinda due props, I say.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2006, 09:39:46 AM »

Since 1976 Brian's been marketed as the "greatest comeback ever", not a musician. Plenty of people are to blame for making every single detail of Brain's personal life as public as possible. Why? because there's always been this need to make sure that "NOW, UNDER MY CARE, BRIAN'S BETTER THAN HE'S EVER BEEN". Melinda, Leaf, Landy, you name them.

If it's with Brian's best intentions in mind, terrific. But don't point fingers at those who talk about Brian's marriage, sex life, drug addictions. He or his handlers have made sure that I know way more than I ever needed to know about it. And I notice that very often it's only labeled as "crossing the line" when Melinda is criticized.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »

Andrew, you're such a tease!  I haven't read any of those hints recently, other than the usual things that have been discussed for years.

I think that within ten years, maybe less, the accurate story of Brian's post-Landy life and career will emerge, and that it will be a very interesting day for all of us, boosters and naysayers alike. Hints have emerged recently.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2006, 07:01:18 PM »

Brian has never had a successful solo career, but that's not down to management. That's down to the fact that his name a lot less recognizable than the Beach Boys' name. 

Or maybe it's due to the fact that the solo MUSIC isn't that good.

Dancing Bear - I'm agreeing with your posts a lot!
MBE
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2006, 12:45:17 AM »

Sheriff and Bear thank you for being objective. I think we know a lot about Brian because he blurts things out. It's no secret what and who decides things. I would like think Brian and not Melinda made the musical decision to hire Wondermints. Brian's constantly packaged like the comeback kid. Since 1999 I think there has been concerts and records worthy of his name, but the Brian Wilson who was around before Murry died, or even the one before Dennis died is not coming back. For all those who defend Melinda fine, but like Dancin Bear says the managers since 1976 have forced a pyscho drama on us. All I ask is that you look closely at what Brian is saying. That will tell you everything.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2006, 06:36:59 AM »

Brian has never had a successful solo career, but that's not down to management. That's down to the fact that his name a lot less recognizable than the Beach Boys' name. 

Or maybe it's due to the fact that the solo MUSIC isn't that good.
[ ]

Fair enough-- it could be the music, could be the lack of name recognition, could be that he's not an 18-year-old female with implants.  But it's not his management.

Wilsonista
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2006, 12:12:53 PM »

I don't make as much of the different albums on different labels things as AGD does. Except for BW88 and BWPS, the man hasn't made a decent solo album. Really. IMAGINATION, GIOMH and WIRWFC range from mediocre to bad.  And the really good stuff (I think) that he has made during these years has been left in the can.  Maybe the "bad management" fingerpointing should be directed at BW himself?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2006, 04:04:07 PM »

But why is Brian's management putting him in that position?  They know what he can and cannot do, and they certainly know whether he brings enthusiasm to the project or not.  The accounts of the making of "Imagination" show a man that really wasn't in a frame of mind to be doing an album.  He lost his mom and Carl in that timeframe, and knew that Carl was seriously ill some time before that.  He'd just adopted some kids.  His wife bought a house in St. Charles, IL to get him into a house and a home studio next to Joe Thomas.  From all indications, though, Brian wasn't crazy about the idea of moving to Illinois.  He didn't do much on that album besides the vocals.  Most of the co-writes are dominated by the collaborators (and all made in the image of Adult Contemporary radio), and of course, some of the material is remakes.  With GIOMH, the tracks were chosen by Brian's management, and all are remakes to varying degrees.  The album was done very quickly, and if you believe some of Brian's interviews about it, he wasn't crazy about doing it, either.

I'm sure all of the above is well-known, sorry for the rehash.  But Brian didn't put himself in a position to fail, his management did, at least with those two projects.  BWPS and the live albums and DVD's were all good ideas, for the most part (the Christmas album is okay, too, I guess, but could have been just a single or EP of the new tracks).  I don't think, however, it's a good idea to put someone as sensitive as Brian in a position where he's not happy doing something, doesn't put out much effort, then has to live with mediocre or bad reviews and sales.   If Brian doesn't have an album in him at some particular time, he should just be left alone.   The whole exercise seems to be just to keep Brian's name out there and his profile high, which is why they play ball and live with the dictates of major labels, even if it's only one middling project at a time.  It doesn't help Brian's reputation over the long haul if subpar material, not chosen by Brian, is the result.

I don't make as much of the different albums on different labels things as AGD does. Except for BW88 and BWPS, the man hasn't made a decent solo album. Really. IMAGINATION, GIOMH and WIRWFC range from mediocre to bad.  And the really good stuff (I think) that he has made during these years has been left in the can.  Maybe the "bad management" fingerpointing should be directed at BW himself?
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2006, 07:19:44 PM »

I met Brian once and I got the impression that he was a Very mentally ill person who did not want to do what he was being forced to do.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2006, 09:03:23 PM »

Where did you meet him what were the circumstances? What did you see?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2006, 04:44:42 PM »

Guys...there are several people here who know WAY more than they are saying, and yes, there have been many hints, from Peter Ames Carlin's book (in spots) and that Uncut article. Melinda and Leaf are not what they seem at all.

BTW...Carnie & Wendy not getting on with Melinda is a well-documented fact. Just the fact that she's always bashing Marilyn is reason enough, but there is more to it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2006, 04:59:01 PM »

bashing Marylin ? Never heard of that. Could you give some examples ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2006, 05:19:24 PM »

She's been very critical of the so-called "first family" in many interviews, including the Larry King piece, to the point where even Brian said something ("It wasn't her fault! How could she know he( Landy) would turn out to be a crazy man?!")

Also, consider the fact that Carnie has repeatedly referred to her as "Melinda".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2006, 06:18:35 PM »

Oh, thanks. I knew about the Larry King-thing but didn't know Carnie called her "Melinda".

But I still think Brian needs some kinda Landy-figure; that is pushing him to do things he wouldn't do by himself. I mean without someone to watch over him, Brian probably wouldn't even breath because he's too afraid of it...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2006, 06:19:20 PM »

Guys...there are several people here who know WAY more than they are saying, and yes, there have been many hints, from Peter Ames Carlin's book (in spots) and that Uncut article. Melinda and Leaf are not what they seem at all.

BTW...Carnie & Wendy not getting on with Melinda is a well-documented fact. Just the fact that she's always bashing Marilyn is reason enough, but there is more to it.

Billy, you've got nothing to loose. "Melinda and Leaf are not what they seem at all" is teasing IMO. Why don't you SPILL THE BEANS?    Wink
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 06:20:29 PM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »

Brow

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2006, 07:52:17 PM »

Because I was told in confidence, as I'm sure the unnamed sources in Peter's book did the same.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2006, 08:46:17 PM »

What's the big secret? After he gets off stage they lock him in a cage with a birthday cake?  LOL

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2006, 09:48:36 PM »

Because I was told in confidence, as I'm sure the unnamed sources in Peter's book did the same.

The assertion that Melinda and DL "are not what they seem" sounds so sinister. I mean, I know people have pointed the finger at Melinda, but then where does it end? Does Brian's band (whom everyone seems to identify as genuinely caring about Brian) know about whatever is going on, and are they okay with it? They do go along with the recording and touring regimen, after all.

I've got to go back and read the Carlin book again...what I got from it was the ackowledgement that, yes, Melinda has some control over Brian, but only because Brian could not function without/insists on that kind of arrangement. And that in that aspect, Melinda is somewhat like Landy, but without the attention-seeking, damaging drug-administering element.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2006, 10:17:43 PM »

Okay, I went back and looked in the Carlin book. The part about the Uncut story is on page 293. To me, Carlin is expressing skepticism about the credibility of this story. First of all, he refers to it as a British pop culture magazine-- the British press loves sensationalism. The book reads, "A blistering, if desperately overheated, expose in Britain's pop culture magazine Uncut called on a cast array of anonymous sources to describe the 'predicament' [Carlin's quotes] Brian had landed in, 'relinquishing' his hard-won liberty to a 'blonde phantom...'" Then Carlin says that the article is "awash in rumor and unsourced accusations" and suggests that the author interpreted Brian's mood at the time as "evidence of the misery being inflicted upon him." Then it goes on to say that many people in Brian's life insisted that he was being controlled.

I don't think PAC is necessarily concluding that this is true. Otherwise, could he truly refer to Brian's "redemption" in the book's title? If he is reading this, perhaps he'd like to weigh in. As I said, I know nothing other than what I've read. I guess I'd like to believe, based on the remarkable comeback (and it is a true comeback, true to the integrity of the music and to Brian's stature), that Brian is being treated well and is genuinely loved.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx