gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:13:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian article  (Read 24483 times)
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 11:59:53 AM »

Melinda is a just a tad different from all those examples. As executor of Brian's estate, she is effectively co-business manager with DL. Not only does she have the right to be a part of all his business decisions, it is required of her.

Whether all those decisions are the best that could have been made -- that's debatable. People have slammed her for speaking so much on Larry King, but most of her responses were about Brian's medical situation which he is very uncomfortable talking about. She (and DL) got him to complete SMiLE, and for that I'm forever grateful.

I know a little about her negotiating style, apparently she drives a very hard bargain. But hey, so does Donald Trump, business is business. But I think it's noteworthy that she supported Brian's touring when it was running heavily in the red. The bottom line for her is -- what's good for Brian? It's about time he had someone like that in his corner, IMO.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 12:08:25 PM »

Good points.  I don't think what Melinda does is self-promotion though.  Yes, being his wife she plays a very important part of Brian's life and that is reflected on the various docs and DVD's.

The thing is this- I have a hard time believing that Brian is 'forced' to do anything.  From everything I've read, it appears that Brian is the king of passive-aggressiveness.   See 70's shows where he played different songs than the band played on occasion.  If he didn't want to perform, doesn't he hold the ultimate card, the ultimate power in which he could make it obvious to everyone, his band mates, the audience, everyone by sabatoging his own show?  He is the lead voice.  He is the guy the spotlight's on.  If he truly didn't want to be there he could make it uncomfortably clear to everyone that he didn't want to be there.

I think Brian is a lot smarter and a lot more in control than we give him credit for.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:09:45 PM by Swamp Pirate » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 12:27:34 PM »

Good points.  I don't think what Melinda does is self-promotion though.  Yes, being his wife she plays a very important part of Brian's life and that is reflected on the various docs and DVD's.

The thing is this- I have a hard time believing that Brian is 'forced' to do anything.  From everything I've read, it appears that Brian is the king of passive-aggressiveness.   See 70's shows where he played different songs than the band played on occasion.  If he didn't want to perform, doesn't he hold the ultimate card, the ultimate power in which he could make it obvious to everyone, his band mates, the audience, everyone by sabatoging his own show?  He is the lead voice.  He is the guy the spotlight's on.  If he truly didn't want to be there he could make it uncomfortably clear to everyone that he didn't want to be there.

I think Brian is a lot smarter and a lot more in control than we give him credit for.

I totally agree...I can't recall who it was, but somewhere I read a quote from someone who knows Brian very well (might have been Marilyn) and she basically said that if Brian doesn't want to do something, he'll sabatoge it.  I do know it was her that said in Charles Granata's Pet Sounds book that he was as clever at getting his way and manipulating people as he was musically.  He's always been great at using his "crazyness" to get his way, even in the mid 60's.  Granted he's not nearly the same guy he was back then, but I don't doubt that he still knows that he can get his way if he really doesn't want to do something. 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 12:29:44 PM »

Wait until she brings out her own CD covering old BB numbers: Melinda Wilson (the BEACH BOY'S wife) Salutes NASCAR, sold only with Radioshack products.  Then she'll be taking advantage of our boy.  Well, that and an exercise video ("More cake, dear?").  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:33:54 PM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 01:00:12 PM »

I really think too much is made of "my wife, my manager told me to do it" quotes. This has little to do with the actual work itself. I do a lot of what some would call "creative work" in my job and outside of it. If I didn't have to bring home a paycheck, I'd be less likely to put forth an effort. As far as most of the personal projects I get involved in, most the successful ones wouldn't have happened if my wife or someone else didn't tell me to start the ball rolling. Maybe I'm as lazy as Brian (!), but I sure appreciate the push others have given me. When Brian says it was his wife's idea to finish "SMiLE", that has nothing to do with the hours of creative work Brian himself put into the project. Clive Davis picking the Christmas carols is a footnote compared to the ingenious arrangements Brian conjured up for them.

In 1961, Dennis tells Brian he should write a song about surfing...so I guess Brian was a puppet even then!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 01:19:30 PM »

Melinda has a job and she does what she gotta do. I'm sure she was a great car saleswoman.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 01:20:34 PM »

I totally agree...I can't recall who it was, but somewhere I read a quote from someone who knows Brian very well (might have been Marilyn) and she basically said that if Brian doesn't want to do something, he'll sabatoge it. 

It was Darian who said roughly that. He said that if Brian really doesn't want to do something he'll just not do it - or worse yet, he'll sabotage it.

I don't have any inside info either, but let's see, where is Brian now compared to before he married Melinda...

1. He's reclaimed much of his musical legacy, and established himself as a concert performer.
2. He has a second chance at raising a family with his young daughters and his son (he obviously adores them all).
3. He apparently is on the best terms in a long time with his grown daughters.
4. By all who have chosen to comment publicly he's banished many of the demons that troubled him
5. He's getting top-shelf medical care from the UCLA medical center, which IIRC was Melinda's doing (getting him to go there)
6. He's stayed in decent physical condition, he hasn't ballooned back up to his "large" size.
7. He's won numerous humanitarian and music industry awards.

Yep, that Melinda sure has been bad for him.

I'm sure she kicks Brian in the rear from time to time to get him going - like she shouldn't?  Like nobody here has a wife or husband who doesn't do the same thing? Like most of us don't need that from time to time?

I'm sure she has her faults. I'm also sure she enjoys the financial security being married to Brian offers. But look what she endures along with it... Living with Brian on a day to day basis CAN'T be easy - I'm reminded of the story Darian told in the Crutchfield interview about Brian freaking out around Christmas, terrifying Darian and the housekeeper. Who did they call to help Brian - Melinda, that's who (at least that's what Darian says).  I'm sure there are many more of those difficult moments where Melinda "earned her keep".

BTW, notice this interview was apparently conducted around the Christmas season. That may well explain some of Brian's reactions.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 02:51:42 PM »

Nope.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 03:07:51 PM »

Nope.

Whoa.  What's the deal there, AGD?

Glenn
MBE
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »

I am happy about his music and touring from an artistic level. I am also  happy that his work is given the acclaim it always deserved. Jim I think you make some good points but his weight was very high when he and Melinda got married. I just again am trying to look at this without my selfish wants as a fan getting in the way. When I do that I just cannot feel completely at ease.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2006, 07:44:30 AM »

About this Melinda thing, I have a question. Suppose she's controlling Brian in some way that is inappropriate. What would be her motive for doing so? They have money already, and she doesn't seem particularly demanding or extravagant. She's obviously not looking to springboard a career off Brian. So why would she force or strongly encourage him to do anything that isn't for his own good?

I'm having a hard time buying that her motives are anything but loving and honorable.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 09:43:38 AM »

she doesn't seem particularly demanding or extravagant. She's obviously not looking to springboard a career off Brian.

Well, one thing's for shure: she's certainly not Heather Mills.
Or Yoko
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:44:48 AM by Pablo. » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2006, 01:21:42 PM »

I am damn glad that everything I  have ever said has not been published.  What if people were constantly sticking a microphone in your face and asking you questions...on good days and bad days, on days when you were fed up with something, when you had, out of anger vowed to do or not do something?   We'd all look like complete flakes.  Especially if we were supposed to live up to being genius.    Brian is Brian.  The only thing consistent about him is inconsistency.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2006, 06:43:45 PM »

Nope.

Whoa.  What's the deal there, AGD?

I'm curious as well Andrew...what do you know that we dont?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2006, 06:59:46 PM »

I read that Brian went to the hospital to know his new grandchild, Carnie's daughter. While he was there he got to meet Wendy's kid(s) for the first time.

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »

I read that Brian went to the hospital to know his new grandchild, Carnie's daughter. While he was there he got to meet Wendy's kid(s) for the first time.

What does that mean? That he's close to Carnie but not Wendy?

Glenn
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 05:09:39 AM »

What does that mean? That he's close to Carnie but not Wendy?

Those two sentences are all the info that I have.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2006, 06:03:01 AM »

Wendy's kids are among those acknowledged in the SMiLE liner notes. I don't have the CD in front of me, but I believe he thanked "Leo and TBD" because Wendy's second child had not been born and therefore had no name at the time.
XY
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2006, 06:14:00 AM »

This discussion raises the question: Can Brian cross the street alone? Every bad word against Melinda is a bad word against Brian and insults his intelligence. LOL
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2006, 07:48:10 AM »

This discussion raises the question: Can Brian cross the street alone? Every bad word against Melinda is a bad word against Brian and insults his intelligence. LOL

Dr. Zaius: Be careful what you look for Taylor, you may not like what you find.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 08:07:55 AM »

This discussion raises the question: Can Brian cross the street alone?

Apparently not - remember who nearly ran him over in 1993 ? Cool

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2006, 08:12:06 AM »

Correct - when Brian was at the hospital for the birth of Carnie's daughter (I'm not 100% clear on this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that she asked him to be there), Wendy & family were there too, and that was the first time he met  Wendy's second child, Beau. I present this exactly as it was related to me. You add the spin.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 08:15:21 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Wilsonista
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2006, 08:51:54 AM »

This shouldn't be interpeted as a defense of Melinda, but I think it's worth noting that Wendy in I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (while not as chatty as her sister) spoke frankly of  havin g "feelings of resentment, still" at a time when it was assumed that  relations between father and daughter were considerably warmer than in years past. 
XY
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2006, 10:40:36 PM »

Apparently not - remember who nearly ran him over in 1993 ? Cool

LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2006, 11:41:21 PM »

I truly feel like this is none of our business. I know the BBs and BW have aired their private lives in public for years -- it's their way -- but this all really crosses a line for me. I don't care what kid Brian saw where or anything. Just let the poor man be.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx