gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
659324 Posts in 26413 Topics by 3755 Members - Latest Member: Joanne Figueroa July 01, 2020, 11:34:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CCR 50th anniversary  (Read 3211 times)
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2020, 06:26:20 PM »

Out of all the music from home videos these days, Fogerty & Family are my favorite I've seen so far.  It's a real joy to watch him with his kids.

Fogerty's Factory - John Fogerty + Family: Tiny Desk (Home) Concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qW2139LKN0
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2020, 06:43:43 PM »

I want that baseball bat guitar. 😳 A mixture of two of my very favorite things, music and baseball. You simply can’t get more American than John, a true original. I’m happy he played ‘Long As I Can See The Light’, which I ranted lovingly about on the previous page.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 01:54:14 AM »

CCR had a great sound, definitely! Tony Joe White said that he always wondered why Fogerty let the others go, as they were such a good rhythm section. I guess in the end it was just personal issues. You listen to CCR today and they still sound as fresh as ever. Now, there are not many drummers who come close to Aronoff, but they don't nedd to, if the outcome is right.

Anyway, yes, Fogerty was/is one hell of a songwriter and musician. It's unbelievable what he put out during those couple of years. It's not unlike what Brian Wilson put out in '63-'64 (Beach Boys albums and singles, outside productions, co-writes) while touring at the same time. Talent, pure talent!
I must admit though, looking at Fogerty today, I liked him better when he was still bitter.
He still seems pretty bitter towards Cook and Clifford. He's a little kinder towards his brother Tom, probably because he's dead.

You're totally right. What I meant was this exaggerated happiness and positivity he shows nowadays. It really goes on my nerves because it seems so fake. And all that stupid hippie-stuff on his tour with the VW camper. Have you seen the Red Rocks show (I think it's called "My 50 year trip" or something to that effect) with all those cheap hippie wigs and lava lamps and the corny antics on stage? It just looks so ridiculous and in the mid of all is John Fogerty. The one person I never thought would go clownish.

No question he's still bitter toward Doug and Stu, but he was not as much opposed to a reunion as he once was and they now have a LLC and can approve new releases. That's good and if they ever can make peace with each other, than that's a great thing. It wasn't so much this bitterness that I was talking about. Even if they never play ttogether anymore, it would be nice to at least have some kind of conciliation now that they are all in their 70s
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:55:18 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »

i'd  be for a reunion just so he's play with an appropriate damn drummer.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 06:05:03 PM »

CCR had a great sound, definitely! Tony Joe White said that he always wondered why Fogerty let the others go, as they were such a good rhythm section. I guess in the end it was just personal issues. You listen to CCR today and they still sound as fresh as ever. Now, there are not many drummers who come close to Aronoff, but they don't nedd to, if the outcome is right.

Anyway, yes, Fogerty was/is one hell of a songwriter and musician. It's unbelievable what he put out during those couple of years. It's not unlike what Brian Wilson put out in '63-'64 (Beach Boys albums and singles, outside productions, co-writes) while touring at the same time. Talent, pure talent!
I must admit though, looking at Fogerty today, I liked him better when he was still bitter.
He still seems pretty bitter towards Cook and Clifford. He's a little kinder towards his brother Tom, probably because he's dead.

You're totally right. What I meant was this exaggerated happiness and positivity he shows nowadays. It really goes on my nerves because it seems so fake. And all that stupid hippie-stuff on his tour with the VW camper. Have you seen the Red Rocks show (I think it's called "My 50 year trip" or something to that effect) with all those cheap hippie wigs and lava lamps and the corny antics on stage? It just looks so ridiculous and in the mid of all is John Fogerty. The one person I never thought would go clownish.

No question he's still bitter toward Doug and Stu, but he was not as much opposed to a reunion as he once was and they now have a LLC and can approve new releases. That's good and if they ever can make peace with each other, than that's a great thing. It wasn't so much this bitterness that I was talking about. Even if they never play ttogether anymore, it would be nice to at least have some kind of conciliation now that they are all in their 70s
I agree about the fake happiness. Don't get him started about Julie. He still seems bitter underneath the fake smile; get him started about his former bandmates, and it's back to the bs about "Tom played one string guitar" and "I had to teach Stu how to play the bass".
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 04:51:14 PM »

I don't understand the negativity toward John Fogerty here.  I think most people would be bitter if they lost ownership of hit songs they wrote an people can be bitter for years before they put it behind them.  I know that's happened with me anyway so I wouldn't assume he is faking anything.  Anyway, a very nice performance by him today of City of New Orleans:

https://youtu.be/7zmNs6sWTD8

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 02:23:58 AM »

I don't understand the negativity toward John Fogerty here.  I think most people would be bitter if they lost ownership of hit songs they wrote an people can be bitter for years before they put it behind them.  I know that's happened with me anyway so I wouldn't assume he is faking anything.  Anyway, a very nice performance by him today of City of New Orleans:

I don't think there's any negativity towards him, at least not from my side, and that is all I can talk about. I'm just saying that his way of acting in interviews and such seems kinda faked to my eyes. I know that I've acted similarly when I was trying to hold down certain things. It's just my interpretation. I also think that he seemed more real in earlier years.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 12:42:18 PM »

I don't think there's any negativity towards him, at least not from my side, and that is all I can talk about. I'm just saying that his way of acting in interviews and such seems kinda faked to my eyes. I know that I've acted similarly when I was trying to hold down certain things. It's just my interpretation. I also think that he seemed more real in earlier years.
I don't think anyone is denying that he was ripped off; I don't see anyone putting him down as a songwriter, singer, or guitarist. There were three other guys that helped him achieve his dream of rock and roll immortality, but to hear him tell it today, they impeded him instead of helping him. I don't believe that is true. With rock bands, there is a tendency to always focus on the frontman or lead singer, main songwriter, but a great singer and songwriter needs a good band backing him up. How great would Elvis been at Sun Records without Scotty and Bill there to play those songs? How good would The Beatles have been minus George and Ringo? Give credit where credit is due, that's all i'm asking.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 08:35:22 PM »

I don't think anyone is denying that he was ripped off; I don't see anyone putting him down as a songwriter, singer, or guitarist. There were three other guys that helped him achieve his dream of rock and roll immortality, but to hear him tell it today, they impeded him instead of helping him. I don't believe that is true. With rock bands, there is a tendency to always focus on the frontman or lead singer, main songwriter, but a great singer and songwriter needs a good band backing him up. How great would Elvis been at Sun Records without Scotty and Bill there to play those songs? How good would The Beatles have been minus George and Ringo? Give credit where credit is due, that's all i'm asking.

I think everyone posting here acknowledges Fogerty's immense talent, and I don't see anyone ripping him.  We're giving our opinion on what we see.  If we're only going to say nice things here you need to go delete 90% of the threads on the main forum.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »

I think everyone posting here acknowledges Fogerty's immense talent, and I don't see anyone ripping him.  We're giving our opinion on what we see.  If we're only going to say nice things here you need to go delete 90% of the threads on the main forum.

Of course anyone can write their opinion on a discussion board.  I don't think he's faking being happy but I don't know him personally so can't say for sure.

On the main forum, there was a thread recently about Beach Boys covers.  I noticed Cotton Fields was released by the BB before the CCR version.  I wonder if the BB version might have inspired the CCR recording or if they were already working on the song independently. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2020, 02:22:04 AM »

Of course anyone can write their opinion on a discussion board.  I don't think he's faking being happy but I don't know him personally so can't say for sure.

On the main forum, there was a thread recently about Beach Boys covers.  I noticed Cotton Fields was released by the BB before the CCR version.  I wonder if the BB version might have inspired the CCR recording or if they were already working on the song independently. 

I was wondering about that myself, since Fogerty liked the Beach Boys very much. On the other hand, "Cottonfields" was totally out of that type of music that CCR was based on. And the Boys' version was a big hit everywhere except the US, so I don't know if Fogerty was aware of it. During rehearsals of the movie "That's the way it is" in 1970 you can hear Elvis singing an impromptu version of it as well. Since he's using the original lyrics (as did CCR), I guess he had heard Creedence's recording and remembered the song.
So, it's hard to say. On one hand, it's a well known folk song, on the other hand two versions of the same song released so close to each other makes you wonder.

Somehing else BBs related: On Facebook Fogerty posted an excerpt from his book while talking about "Green river" and mentioned that he saw a TV ad in '67 that, at least in his mind, definitely featured the Beach Boys singing. This reminded me of reading that "Cool, cool water" was written for a commercial (I don't know if I got this right and if it was the Sunflower song or the early stages of it during '67). Did that ever come to fruition and was it this that Fogerty remembered hearing?

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx