gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:10:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CCR 50th anniversary  (Read 19127 times)
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2020, 06:26:20 PM »

Out of all the music from home videos these days, Fogerty & Family are my favorite I've seen so far.  It's a real joy to watch him with his kids.

Fogerty's Factory - John Fogerty + Family: Tiny Desk (Home) Concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qW2139LKN0
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2020, 06:43:43 PM »

I want that baseball bat guitar. 😳 A mixture of two of my very favorite things, music and baseball. You simply can’t get more American than John, a true original. I’m happy he played ‘Long As I Can See The Light’, which I ranted lovingly about on the previous page.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 01:54:14 AM »

CCR had a great sound, definitely! Tony Joe White said that he always wondered why Fogerty let the others go, as they were such a good rhythm section. I guess in the end it was just personal issues. You listen to CCR today and they still sound as fresh as ever. Now, there are not many drummers who come close to Aronoff, but they don't nedd to, if the outcome is right.

Anyway, yes, Fogerty was/is one hell of a songwriter and musician. It's unbelievable what he put out during those couple of years. It's not unlike what Brian Wilson put out in '63-'64 (Beach Boys albums and singles, outside productions, co-writes) while touring at the same time. Talent, pure talent!
I must admit though, looking at Fogerty today, I liked him better when he was still bitter.
He still seems pretty bitter towards Cook and Clifford. He's a little kinder towards his brother Tom, probably because he's dead.

You're totally right. What I meant was this exaggerated happiness and positivity he shows nowadays. It really goes on my nerves because it seems so fake. And all that stupid hippie-stuff on his tour with the VW camper. Have you seen the Red Rocks show (I think it's called "My 50 year trip" or something to that effect) with all those cheap hippie wigs and lava lamps and the corny antics on stage? It just looks so ridiculous and in the mid of all is John Fogerty. The one person I never thought would go clownish.

No question he's still bitter toward Doug and Stu, but he was not as much opposed to a reunion as he once was and they now have a LLC and can approve new releases. That's good and if they ever can make peace with each other, than that's a great thing. It wasn't so much this bitterness that I was talking about. Even if they never play ttogether anymore, it would be nice to at least have some kind of conciliation now that they are all in their 70s
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:55:18 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »

i'd  be for a reunion just so he's play with an appropriate damn drummer.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 06:05:03 PM »

CCR had a great sound, definitely! Tony Joe White said that he always wondered why Fogerty let the others go, as they were such a good rhythm section. I guess in the end it was just personal issues. You listen to CCR today and they still sound as fresh as ever. Now, there are not many drummers who come close to Aronoff, but they don't nedd to, if the outcome is right.

Anyway, yes, Fogerty was/is one hell of a songwriter and musician. It's unbelievable what he put out during those couple of years. It's not unlike what Brian Wilson put out in '63-'64 (Beach Boys albums and singles, outside productions, co-writes) while touring at the same time. Talent, pure talent!
I must admit though, looking at Fogerty today, I liked him better when he was still bitter.
He still seems pretty bitter towards Cook and Clifford. He's a little kinder towards his brother Tom, probably because he's dead.

You're totally right. What I meant was this exaggerated happiness and positivity he shows nowadays. It really goes on my nerves because it seems so fake. And all that stupid hippie-stuff on his tour with the VW camper. Have you seen the Red Rocks show (I think it's called "My 50 year trip" or something to that effect) with all those cheap hippie wigs and lava lamps and the corny antics on stage? It just looks so ridiculous and in the mid of all is John Fogerty. The one person I never thought would go clownish.

No question he's still bitter toward Doug and Stu, but he was not as much opposed to a reunion as he once was and they now have a LLC and can approve new releases. That's good and if they ever can make peace with each other, than that's a great thing. It wasn't so much this bitterness that I was talking about. Even if they never play ttogether anymore, it would be nice to at least have some kind of conciliation now that they are all in their 70s
I agree about the fake happiness. Don't get him started about Julie. He still seems bitter underneath the fake smile; get him started about his former bandmates, and it's back to the bs about "Tom played one string guitar" and "I had to teach Stu how to play the bass".
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 04:51:14 PM »

I don't understand the negativity toward John Fogerty here.  I think most people would be bitter if they lost ownership of hit songs they wrote an people can be bitter for years before they put it behind them.  I know that's happened with me anyway so I wouldn't assume he is faking anything.  Anyway, a very nice performance by him today of City of New Orleans:

https://youtu.be/7zmNs6sWTD8

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 02:23:58 AM »

I don't understand the negativity toward John Fogerty here.  I think most people would be bitter if they lost ownership of hit songs they wrote an people can be bitter for years before they put it behind them.  I know that's happened with me anyway so I wouldn't assume he is faking anything.  Anyway, a very nice performance by him today of City of New Orleans:

I don't think there's any negativity towards him, at least not from my side, and that is all I can talk about. I'm just saying that his way of acting in interviews and such seems kinda faked to my eyes. I know that I've acted similarly when I was trying to hold down certain things. It's just my interpretation. I also think that he seemed more real in earlier years.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 12:42:18 PM »

I don't think there's any negativity towards him, at least not from my side, and that is all I can talk about. I'm just saying that his way of acting in interviews and such seems kinda faked to my eyes. I know that I've acted similarly when I was trying to hold down certain things. It's just my interpretation. I also think that he seemed more real in earlier years.
I don't think anyone is denying that he was ripped off; I don't see anyone putting him down as a songwriter, singer, or guitarist. There were three other guys that helped him achieve his dream of rock and roll immortality, but to hear him tell it today, they impeded him instead of helping him. I don't believe that is true. With rock bands, there is a tendency to always focus on the frontman or lead singer, main songwriter, but a great singer and songwriter needs a good band backing him up. How great would Elvis been at Sun Records without Scotty and Bill there to play those songs? How good would The Beatles have been minus George and Ringo? Give credit where credit is due, that's all i'm asking.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 08:35:22 PM »

I don't think anyone is denying that he was ripped off; I don't see anyone putting him down as a songwriter, singer, or guitarist. There were three other guys that helped him achieve his dream of rock and roll immortality, but to hear him tell it today, they impeded him instead of helping him. I don't believe that is true. With rock bands, there is a tendency to always focus on the frontman or lead singer, main songwriter, but a great singer and songwriter needs a good band backing him up. How great would Elvis been at Sun Records without Scotty and Bill there to play those songs? How good would The Beatles have been minus George and Ringo? Give credit where credit is due, that's all i'm asking.

I think everyone posting here acknowledges Fogerty's immense talent, and I don't see anyone ripping him.  We're giving our opinion on what we see.  If we're only going to say nice things here you need to go delete 90% of the threads on the main forum.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »

I think everyone posting here acknowledges Fogerty's immense talent, and I don't see anyone ripping him.  We're giving our opinion on what we see.  If we're only going to say nice things here you need to go delete 90% of the threads on the main forum.

Of course anyone can write their opinion on a discussion board.  I don't think he's faking being happy but I don't know him personally so can't say for sure.

On the main forum, there was a thread recently about Beach Boys covers.  I noticed Cotton Fields was released by the BB before the CCR version.  I wonder if the BB version might have inspired the CCR recording or if they were already working on the song independently. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2020, 02:22:04 AM »

Of course anyone can write their opinion on a discussion board.  I don't think he's faking being happy but I don't know him personally so can't say for sure.

On the main forum, there was a thread recently about Beach Boys covers.  I noticed Cotton Fields was released by the BB before the CCR version.  I wonder if the BB version might have inspired the CCR recording or if they were already working on the song independently. 

I was wondering about that myself, since Fogerty liked the Beach Boys very much. On the other hand, "Cottonfields" was totally out of that type of music that CCR was based on. And the Boys' version was a big hit everywhere except the US, so I don't know if Fogerty was aware of it. During rehearsals of the movie "That's the way it is" in 1970 you can hear Elvis singing an impromptu version of it as well. Since he's using the original lyrics (as did CCR), I guess he had heard Creedence's recording and remembered the song.
So, it's hard to say. On one hand, it's a well known folk song, on the other hand two versions of the same song released so close to each other makes you wonder.

Somehing else BBs related: On Facebook Fogerty posted an excerpt from his book while talking about "Green river" and mentioned that he saw a TV ad in '67 that, at least in his mind, definitely featured the Beach Boys singing. This reminded me of reading that "Cool, cool water" was written for a commercial (I don't know if I got this right and if it was the Sunflower song or the early stages of it during '67). Did that ever come to fruition and was it this that Fogerty remembered hearing?

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2020, 02:57:36 AM »

Fogerty just posted a picture of him in the studio with this caption:

Recording a new song in the studio today with Don Was and Jim Keltner. Pretty cool working with these two legends. 🎸

- Jack Rieley
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »

Totally unrecognized by me, last year marked the 50th anniversary of CCR. Since there's really nothing new to release and the surviving members still are on the outs, it seems that it turned not very spectacular. But anyway, here's some more info:

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL'S COMPLETE STUDIO ALBUMS COLLECTION (HALF-SPEED MASTERS)

https://craftrecordings.com/creedence-half-speed-masters/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOfficialCCR/videos?view=0&flow=grid

For what it's worth Fogerty did put out a live album to mark the anniversary:

https://www.amazon.com/50-Year-Trip-Live-Rocks/dp/B07Y98NFYV/ref=sr_1_2?crid=PQ81BAX8Z4EC&dchild=1&keywords=john+fogerty&s=music&sprefix=john+fog%2Caps%2C220&sr=1-2

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2020, 02:35:25 AM »

Totally unrecognized by me, last year marked the 50th anniversary of CCR. Since there's really nothing new to release and the surviving members still are on the outs, it seems that it turned not very spectacular. But anyway, here's some more info:

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL'S COMPLETE STUDIO ALBUMS COLLECTION (HALF-SPEED MASTERS)

https://www.amazon.com/50-Year-Trip-Live-Rocks/dp/B07Y98NFYV/ref=sr_1_2?crid=PQ81BAX8Z4EC&dchild=1&keywords=john+fogerty&s=music&sprefix=john+fog%2Caps%2C220&sr=1-2

There's also a DVD companion. It was shown in german TV (minus a couple of songs). It was done as a 50th tribute to Woodstock I believe. Well, I love John's music and his live offerings are usually top. But this is a complete freak show imo. It's what his Vegas stint seems to have been like. Including background singers in hippie clothes and bad(!!) wigs. It's what you would think a caricature would look like (or a Nickelodeon hippie TV show) but I believe they are serious about this. I was not only disappointed but shocked that John would go this road. It's almost like John tries to make us believe he was a real Hippie. He still has a great band of course.

Better get the fantastic CCR at Woodstock CD. That one is a fantastic sounding album. Incredible!

- Jack Rieley
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2020, 04:31:34 AM »

There's also a DVD companion. It was shown in german TV (minus a couple of songs). It was done as a 50th tribute to Woodstock I believe. Well, I love John's music and his live offerings are usually top. But this is a complete freak show imo. It's what his Vegas stint seems to have been like. Including background singers in hippie clothes and bad(!!) wigs. It's what you would think a caricature would look like (or a Nickelodeon hippie TV show) but I believe they are serious about this. I was not only disappointed but shocked that John would go this road. It's almost like John tries to make us believe he was a real Hippie. He still has a great band of course.

Better get the fantastic CCR at Woodstock CD. That one is a fantastic sounding album. Incredible!

This release was ok, although not as good as some of his other live releases he's put out in the last 25 years.  Premonition was pretty good as was The Long Road Home - In Concert.  He also put out the DVD Comin' Down The Road that had some deep cuts on there and a pretty smokin' live version of "The Old Man Down The Road". 

My favorite memory of him was when I saw him perform in the 90's and after the show a bunch of us were walking to our cars which we had to walk past the tour bus to get to.  As we walked by we saw him in the window and we all enthusiastically cheered as a "thank you" of sorts.  He responded by callously closing the window curtain and dismissing us completely.  I guess the show was over.   LOL

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2020, 02:43:32 PM »

This release was ok, although not as good as some of his other live releases he's put out in the last 25 years.  Premonition was pretty good as was The Long Road Home - In Concert.  He also put out the DVD Comin' Down The Road that had some deep cuts on there and a pretty smokin' live version of "The Old Man Down The Road". 

My favorite memory of him was when I saw him perform in the 90's and after the show a bunch of us were walking to our cars which we had to walk past the tour bus to get to.  As we walked by we saw him in the window and we all enthusiastically cheered as a "thank you" of sorts.  He responded by callously closing the window curtain and dismissing us completely.  I guess the show was over.   LOL
Yeah, based on the various interviews I've seen with him, I would say he's not exactly Mr. Warmth. John's always been a "me first" kind of guy; not dissing him as a talent, although his solo career hasn't exactly been prolific. I thought his Revival album from roughly 10 years ago was excellent.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »

Pandemic spurs ‘Fogerty’s Factory’ album from CCR’s John Fogerty and family

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/11/pandemic-spurs-fogertys-factory-album-from-ccrs-john-fogerty-and-family.html?fbclid=IwAR3eYgREOj2rSwElwoPl56l1H-3_r8rpp-OeuxawXdbjAdfTQX1euY_-41Q

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2021, 02:59:43 AM »

This was posted by Fogerty's Facebook account:

A brand new song is almost here. Weeping In The Promised Land is out tomorrow!

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2021, 03:43:19 AM »

Here it is.

Weeping in The Promised Land - John Fogerty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ODrkRdwb3k

- Jack Rieley
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »

Here it is.

He still sounds amazing. Also, I saw him live on his 50th year trip tour and while I can understand that some didn't like that spectacle it was really cool in person.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2021, 08:10:07 PM »

Here it is.

I know it's 2021, but it still feels weird to me now that artists just put a song on social media, youtube, etc, and that's their new song. Not a 7 inch record, not a compact disc, just a song that anyone can click on and listen to for free.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL’S PENDULUM AND MARDI GRAS SET FOR HALF-SPEED MASTERED 180-GRAM VINYL REISSUES

https://craftrecordings.com/blogs/news/creedence-clearwater-revival-s-pendulum-and-mardi-gras-set-for-half-speed-mastered-180-gram-vinyl-reissues

Craft Recordings continues the salute to the enduring musical legacy of Creedence Clearwater Revival with the release of half-speed mastered editions of the band’s two final albums: Pendulum, which was released exactly 50 years ago today (December 9, 1970), and their closing studio album, 1972’s Mardi Gras. Pressed on 180-gram vinyl and set for release February 12th, both records were mastered by the award-winning engineer Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios. Available for pre-order beginning today, these audiophile-quality LPs come housed in beautifully crafted jackets (tip-on gatefold for Pendulum and embossed for Mardi Gras), replicating the albums’ original packaging.

Pendulum, which marked CCR’s second release of 1970—following Cosmo’s Factory—was a unique title in the band’s catalog for several reasons. First, the album was the group’s sole LP to feature all original material. Typically, CCR sprinkled covers of blues songs, traditional material, and rock ‘n’ roll standards into each of their albums, putting their own spin on classic favorites. Pendulum also found the guitar-heavy group expanding their sonic palate—experimenting with new sounds (including the use of saxophones, vocal choirs, and keyboards) and even venturing into psychedelia.

The quartet’s musical explorations paid off. Not only was Pendulum a critical success, but it also spawned two global Top Ten hits: the reflective “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” and the upbeat “Hey Tonight.” The singles, released as a double A-side in 1971, peaked at No.8 on the Billboard Hot 100. Other highlights included the stomper “Molina,” the bluesy “Pagan’s Groove” and the twangy “Sailor’s Lament.” Recently, “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” gained renewed popularity with the 2018 launch of a new official music video featuring Sasha Frolova, Jack Quaid, and Erin Moriarty (the latter two also featuring in Amazon’s smash hit series, The Boys), introducing the song to a new generation. To date, the video has received over 61 million plays.
Creedence Clearwater Revival’s seventh and final studio album, 1972’s Mardi Gras, followed the departure of founding member and rhythm guitarist Tom Fogerty. The album, however, found the remaining trio of musicians taking a more collaborative approach to songwriting. Prior to Mardi Gras, frontman John Fogerty was the band’s creative leader—writing, arranging, and producing the majority of every album. For Mardi Gras, bassist Stu Cook and drummer Doug Clifford not only penned many of the tracks (including Cook’s hard-driving “Door to Door,” and Clifford’s rollicking “Tearin’ Up the Country”) but also sang on them. Other highlights off the album include a cover of the rockabilly classic “Hello Mary Lou,” as well as the Fogerty-penned rocker “Sweet Hitch-Hiker”—a Top Ten hit in the US, Australia, Canada, and across Europe. The poignant “Someday Never Comes,” meanwhile, marked the group’s final single.

While the band members went their separate ways after Mardi Gras, Creedence Clearwater Revival’s legacy only continued to grow. Today, CCR remains one of the best-selling groups of all time, thanks to their trove of generation-defining hits and their singular, roots-rock sound.

Roughly half a century later, CCR fans can enjoy a new vibrancy when they revisit Pendulum and Mardi Gras, thanks to the exacting process of half-speed mastering. Using high-res transfers from the original analog tapes, the process involves playing back the audio at half its recorded speed while the cutting lathe is also turned to half the desired playback speed. The technique allows more time to cut a micro-precise groove, resulting in more accuracy with frequency extremes and dynamic contrasts. The result on the turntables is an exceptional level of sonic clarity and punch.

Both of these special pressings were previously released only as part of Creedence’s collectible, seven-LP The Studio Albums Collection box set, and follow standalone reissues of the band’s first five albums.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2021, 02:49:24 PM »

Creedence Clearwater Revival- Interview 1972 [Reelin' In The Years Archive]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQuMdDRlBKM

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2022, 01:20:01 PM »

I don't know, somehow I'm always late to new CCR releases:

Creedence Clearwater Revival at the Royal Albert Hall (Album Unboxing Trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfdtt6tKB4Y

Unreleased Creedence Clearwater Revival concert at Royal Albert Hall in 1970 to drop in September
The record will feature ‘long-lost’ footage of their 1970 Royal Albert Hall Show as well as a concert documentary narrated by Jeff Bridges.

https://guitar.com/news/music-news/creedence-clearwater-revival-live-album-september-1970-london-royal-albert-hall/

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising (at the Royal Albert Hall) (Official Audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvQIM0pTRcE

EDIT: Looks like this new video features some of the 1970 footage:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Travelin' Band (Official Music Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXLqECpHW2o
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 01:39:33 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2022, 10:03:24 AM »

Video from the upcoming release:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son (At The Royal Albert Hall)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Upk41P7aw

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx