gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:23:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CCR 50th anniversary  (Read 19112 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2019, 01:28:36 PM »

Totally unrecognized by me, last year marked the 50th anniversary of CCR. Since there's really nothing new to release and the surviving members still are on the outs, it seems that it turned not very spectacular. But anyway, here's some more info:

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL'S COMPLETE STUDIO ALBUMS COLLECTION (HALF-SPEED MASTERS)

https://craftrecordings.com/creedence-half-speed-masters/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOfficialCCR/videos?view=0&flow=grid

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 11:29:20 PM »

It's to bad that they can't quit acting like children long enough to do a show or two. Hell, I'll take just a single song with all three of them.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 12:55:56 AM »

It's to bad that they can't quit acting like children long enough to do a show or two. Hell, I'll take just a single song with all three of them.

Well, in a 2015 documentary they kinda did play together, although not in a room at the same time but via headphones and overdubbing. It seems the video isn't available anymore, but if you can find it, check it out, it's this documentary:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/the-true-and-sad-story-of-creedence-clearwater-revival-29706004.html

On another note, after watching the new "Fortunate son" and "Have you ever seen the rain?" videos, I'm shocked by the attempt to a) act like these where you're typical love songs and b) the misguided idea to try to curry favor with the conservative "Nashville-establishment" concept; but unfortunately, John's last solo outings seem to go into a similar direction. In that sense he really disappoints me as he was one of the people who I thought wouldn't go down that route.

https://themusicuniverse.com/creedence-clearwater-revival-celebrates-50-years-short-film/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:07:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 01:28:04 PM »

Well, in a 2015 documentary they kinda did play together, although not in a room at the same time but via headphones and overdubbing. It seems the video isn't available anymore, but if you can find it, check it out, it's this documentary:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/the-true-and-sad-story-of-creedence-clearwater-revival-29706004.html

On another note, after watching the new "Fortunate son" and "Have you ever seen the rain?" videos, I'm shocked by the attempt to a) act like these where you're typical love songs and b) the misguided idea to try to curry favor with the conservative "Nashville-establishment" concept; but unfortunately, John's last solo outings seem to go into a similar direction. In that sense he really disappoints me as he was one of the people who I thought wouldn't go down that route.

https://themusicuniverse.com/creedence-clearwater-revival-celebrates-50-years-short-film/
Well, he also insisted long ago he was not going to ever become an oldies act, but I guess he found out that, at his age, that's all people want from him.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »

Well, he also insisted long ago he was not going to ever become an oldies act, but I guess he found out that, at his age, that's all people want from him.

And his appearance on the tribute to Elvis' Comeback makes it all too clear that he is now part of "that" side of the gang.

BTW I read a review in a music magazine that says that the new CCR LPs are sounding very well.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 09:53:26 AM »

As you may know, the last time all original members of CCR played together was at Tom Fogerty's wedding in 1980. I just came across these pictures from that event:

Source: https://fanpageccrjohnfogerty.blogspot.com/2013/06/fogerty-contra-fogerty_20.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »

Well, look at this, I found it on youtube. Unfortunately not in good quality but you can still watch it.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf2QKzKcpkQ

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwY7ZG24fOk

You'll find the "reunion" at ca 6 mins. into the second part

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »

The age is certainly taking it's toll on John's voice certainly. Here he is singing "Jailhouse rock" at the Elvis tribute last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UkCEJxXvDA

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »

I never knew that they all reunited for Tom's wedding. It would be cool if somebody recorded it. One of those "bucket list" things. Same goes for Paul, George and Ringo jamming together at Eric Clapton's wedding. I'd give my right arm for a recording of that!

I read somewhere that Tom asked to see John on his(Tom's) deathbed, but John refused to see him. I hope that's not true.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 06:11:06 AM »

John Fogerty, Common and Michael Lang Celebrate Woodstock's Past & Future at Electric Lady Studios

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/festivals/8503221/woodstock-50-lineup-announcement-john-fogerty-common-electric-lady-live?fbclid=IwAR3a7-DBitfNOYTYBNDKphOD5tNEY8-2coI0cBpfiQZTPswU-EiB8BRAXgw

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »

I didn't see this until just yet. Interestingly this sounds the most like a reunion is possible than it ever has (considering whom we're talking about).

Creedence Clearwater Revisited Talk Retiring From Touring: 'This Just Seemed Like a Good Time to Wrap it Up'

Cook and Clifford did lock horns periodically with Fogerty -- who famously refused to perform with them during CCR's 1993 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction during Revisited's tenure. Though in 1997 Fogerty's legal actions briefly forced them to change the group name to Cosmo's Factory, courts ultimately ruled in the duo's favor and it returned to the Revisited moniker. The three CCRevival veterans settled their various disputes a few years ago and now jointly operate an LLC "to market the brand and, if you will, exploit our good will," with plans for merchandising and other endeavors -- among them a possible video release of CCR's performance at the original Woodstock Music & Art Fair, which was not included in the 1970 documentary from the festival.

"We're not sniping at each other anymore," Cook reports. "We're focused on the good things about Creedence, which is where I think we should be. There were, on my part, several attempts over the years to turn the situation around, but John was never interested. And if John called me, I'd certainly talk to him. I always felt we were cheating ourselves by not at least trying (to reunite), but fortunately this (CCRevisited) project over the last 25 years has put the focus back on the music itself. Creedence fans around the world have moved on from our internal squabbles and the music reigns supreme."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8506073/creedence-clearwater-revisited-on-retiring-from-touring

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »

Oh, and as I didn't find out until recently, a new CCR live album was released, "Live at Woodstock", which got great reviews.

Creedence's Woodstock set: 50 years on, still bristling with energy

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/creedences-woodstock-set-50-years-on-still-bristling-with-energy

And here's another story on the ending of CCRevisited:

Creedence Clearwater Revisited Talk Farewell Tour and Ignoring Their Critics
After 25 years, the semi–tribute band featuring two Revival members is shutting down. Stu Cook and Doug Clifford talk about carrying on without John Fogerty, whether he — or their fans — like it or not

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/creedence-clearwater-revisited-interview-john-fogerty-823536/

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 09:37:33 PM »

Oh, and as I didn't find out until recently, a new CCR live album was released, "Live at Woodstock", which got great reviews.

Creedence's Woodstock set: 50 years on, still bristling with energy

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/creedences-woodstock-set-50-years-on-still-bristling-with-energy

And here's another story on the ending of CCRevisited:

Creedence Clearwater Revisited Talk Farewell Tour and Ignoring Their Critics
After 25 years, the semi–tribute band featuring two Revival members is shutting down. Stu Cook and Doug Clifford talk about carrying on without John Fogerty, whether he — or their fans — like it or not

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/creedence-clearwater-revisited-interview-john-fogerty-823536/

I don't think they'll ever reunite, but maybe we will see the vault opened further in the coming years. Sure would like some dvd of the band in their prime.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 02:22:17 AM »

Yes, I don't really see them reuniting and going on the road either, although I wouldn't bet on it now that John has gone full establishment including rhinestone jackets, Vegas stints and dancing background hippies. It seems a reunion would be the next logical step. And there's a lot of money to be made for Stu and Doug as well. But the articles seem to tned into the archive-direction. A first release already happened (Woodstock) and I would love to see other stuff. There seem to be a lot of live concert recordings, but then again many probably are very similar due to the band's short career. A DVD would be great though. There were certainly more shows filmed than the one at Royal Albert Hall and the one in Oakland. Youtube has some snippets of a '71 show, so hopefully we'll get something like that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:54:44 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 01:40:31 PM »

‘In My Room’ With John Fogerty
Former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman performs classics from his home in Los Angeles

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/john-fogerty-in-my-room-971618/?fbclid=IwAR3egEHmpT1MXP43eDhGc-amfK6nX5UFNNpzyx0908U01TU0tEKnN8-FFwI

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 06:31:37 PM »

"Cosmo" Doug Clifford has a couple new songs on Spotify. A new album is coming out soon - although apparently it was recorded back in the 80's. Either way, I am looking forward to hearing it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 02:25:02 AM »

"Cosmo" Doug Clifford has a couple new songs on Spotify. A new album is coming out soon - although apparently it was recorded back in the 80's. Either way, I am looking forward to hearing it.

Interesting! I hope he is doing better. He was fighting with cancer a couple of years back (see that documentary from above)

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 06:46:45 AM »

Fogerty's Factory - John Fogerty + Family: Tiny Desk (Home) Concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qW2139LKN0

- Jack Rieley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »

The fact that the surviving Beach Boys were able to bury the hatchet at least for a little while to the delight of all their fans but CCR can’t, speaks to the closeness of the former and the distance between the latter. Brian doesn’t necessarily see himself as the reason for the existence for the band to begin with. I love John Fogerty but I don’t think he thinks of himself the same way. The odds of CCR getting back together for an extended tour and new album are not good, to put it mildly.

A shame since I’ve loved many of their songs since I was a teen. For a long time ‘Who’ll Stop The Rain’ was my favorite but many years ago a girl, no, woman I loved told me how much she loved ‘Long As I Can See The Light’, a song I’d previously not given a lot of thought to. I remember listening to it again with newly opened ears and I marveled at its beauty. It’s been my favorite CCR tune ever since and every time I listen to it, which isn’t often enough, I think of her, what she’s doing, who is he and is he good to her, after so many before him who weren’t.

Anyway, yeah. Fogerty, a tremendous songwriter.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:40:06 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 01:26:23 AM »

The fact that the surviving Beach Boys were able to bury the hatchet at least for a little while to the delight of all their fans but CCR can’t, speaks to the closeness of the former and the distance between the latter. Brian doesn’t necessarily see himself as the reason for the existence for the band to begin with. I love John Fogerty but I don’t think he thinks of himself the same way. The odds of CCR getting back together for an extended tour and new album are not good, to put it mildly.

A shame since I’ve loved many of their songs since I was a teen. For a long time ‘Who’ll Stop The Rain’ was my favorite but many years ago a girl, no, woman I loved told me how much she loved ‘Long As I Can See The Light’, a song I’d previously not given a lot of thought to. I remember listening to it again with newly opened ears and I marveled at its beauty. It’s been my favorite CCR tune ever since and every time I listen to it, which isn’t often enough, I think of her, what she’s doing, who is he and is he good to her, after so many before him who weren’t.

Thanks for sharing that, SD. Wise words on the difference(s) between the two bands. Things like "Up Around The Bend" and their UK #1, "Bad Moon Rising", were like a breath of fresh air in the years around 1970. I particularly liked "It Came Out Of The Sky", which resumes the "little green men" theme of early classic rock and roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuPtOtGF4TY

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 02:48:14 PM »

Yes, he wrote all those great songs, timeless songs, and he had the voice to deliver them, and the guitar chops. In his autobiography, it becomes clear that he worked very hard at singing, songwriting, and playing, constantly trying to improve.
That's why it's so sad what happened between him and his bandmates. John doesn't like to admit it now, but CCR had a great groove as a unit. After reading his book, I had to wonder, "gee, was Stu really that terrible of a bass player?" So I go back to the records, watch the live videos on youtube, and no, Stu was great. Bass is probably the last thing I consciously notice in a band - but some of the things he did really jump out at me now, like, "that's really cool, distinctive, original". And Cosmo has always been one of my favorite drummers. Their records were great to play along to when I was learning drums years ago.
It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that Tom could have sung a couple of songs per album. He had a good voice, more mellow than John's, although there are a few solo songs of his where he pushes his voice more, such as Joyful Resurrection.
So I do admire John as a talent, and I think it's great that he's always called attention to the originators of rock and roll, but he's probably not an easy guy to work with.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »

Yes, he wrote all those great songs, timeless songs, and he had the voice to deliver them, and the guitar chops. In his autobiography, it becomes clear that he worked very hard at singing, songwriting, and playing, constantly trying to improve.
That's why it's so sad what happened between him and his bandmates. John doesn't like to admit it now, but CCR had a great groove as a unit. After reading his book, I had to wonder, "gee, was Stu really that terrible of a bass player?" So I go back to the records, watch the live videos on youtube, and no, Stu was great. Bass is probably the last thing I consciously notice in a band - but some of the things he did really jump out at me now, like, "that's really cool, distinctive, original". And Cosmo has always been one of my favorite drummers. Their records were great to play along to when I was learning drums years ago.
It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that Tom could have sung a couple of songs per album. He had a good voice, more mellow than John's, although there are a few solo songs of his where he pushes his voice more, such as Joyful Resurrection.
So I do admire John as a talent, and I think it's great that he's always called attention to the originators of rock and roll, but he's probably not an easy guy to work with.
Having some time on my hands, I've spent a good deal of time on youtube, and have spent a fair amount of it checking out JCFogerty/CCR.  In watching Fogerty's solo live videos something is very apparent -- in particular the drummers (usually Kenny Aronoff) have chops Doug Clifford never thought of, but the groove just is not there, not at all.   Fogerty is a force of nature, but for him to bad mouth either of those guys is either very mean spirited or really stupid.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:03:47 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2020, 12:31:42 AM »

Having some time on my hands, I've spent a good deal of time on youtube, and have spent a fair amount of it checking out JCFogerty/CCR.  In watching Fogerty's solo live videos something is very apparent -- in particular the drummers (usually Kenny Aronoff) have chops Doug Clifford never thought of, but the groove just is not there, not at all.   Fogerty is a force of nature, but for him to bad mouth either of those guys is either very mean spirited or really stupid.
I will always take groove over technical ability.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 01:40:43 AM »

CCR had a great sound, definitely! Tony Joe White said that he always wondered why Fogerty let the others go, as they were such a good rhythm section. I guess in the end it was just personal issues. You listen to CCR today and they still sound as fresh as ever. Now, there are not many drummers who come close to Aronoff, but they don't nedd to, if the outcome is right.

Anyway, yes, Fogerty was/is one hell of a songwriter and musician. It's unbelievable what he put out during those couple of years. It's not unlike what Brian Wilson put out in '63-'64 (Beach Boys albums and singles, outside productions, co-writes) while touring at the same time. Talent, pure talent!
I must admit though, looking at Fogerty today, I liked him better when he was still bitter.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 06:12:00 PM »

CCR had a great sound, definitely! Tony Joe White said that he always wondered why Fogerty let the others go, as they were such a good rhythm section. I guess in the end it was just personal issues. You listen to CCR today and they still sound as fresh as ever. Now, there are not many drummers who come close to Aronoff, but they don't nedd to, if the outcome is right.

Anyway, yes, Fogerty was/is one hell of a songwriter and musician. It's unbelievable what he put out during those couple of years. It's not unlike what Brian Wilson put out in '63-'64 (Beach Boys albums and singles, outside productions, co-writes) while touring at the same time. Talent, pure talent!
I must admit though, looking at Fogerty today, I liked him better when he was still bitter.
He still seems pretty bitter towards Cook and Clifford. He's a little kinder towards his brother Tom, probably because he's dead.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx