gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:18:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: swdstudyvideos.com (suspended)  (Read 41944 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »

But why did you have to repeat it over and over and over again. We (including Mr Desper) saw it the first time.
Now at least for a while we can’t access this. Maybe the SOS segment is being taken out and will be made available again.
But then there will probably be nitpicking in another segment.  Angry

Don’t understand Beach Boys fans.

Is this an academic piece- being peer reviewed or something?

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2018, 10:03:37 AM »

This is another Smiley thread in which a group of posters can't seem to see the forest for the trees ... the fixation on this one particular detail derailed the entire topic. Many of the responses were fairly tactless. I'd hate to see what happened if Brian Wilson came to this message board and stated that he sang the lead vocal for "day in the life of a tree" on a warm sunny day in the summer of 1972.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »

But why did you have to repeat it over and over and over again. We (including Mr Desper) saw it the first time.
Now at least for a while we can’t access this. Maybe the SOS segment is being taken out and will be made available again.
But then there will probably be nitpicking in another segment.  Angry

Don’t understand Beach Boys fans.

Is this an academic piece- being peer reviewed or something?

I am an instructor in a university. There is a working premise in all of my classrooms that if any student disagrees with anything that I am saying that they should challenge what I am saying. If I have sufficient evidence to support my case, I will give it. If I don't, I will always say something along the lines of, "I could be very well be wrong. I will look into it and get back to you and I encourage you to look into it as well, and we'll discuss it next class."

If I said something along the lines of, "I am an instructor and you are a student. I have studied these things far longer than you have," I would entirely expect and hope that my students would push back against that, just as I hope they would do in any other classroom on campus as this is how knowledge is created and this is how it expands and moves forward.

I'm reminded of Mark Lewisohn's remarks when he uncovered the fact that The Beatles had already been signed before their June 6th 1962 appearance in the studio and that it was not, contrary to the historical record, an audition and that, in fact, George Martin was largely assigned to the Beatles as a punishment for having an affair with his secretary who became his wife, Judy, for nearly 60 years. When Lewisohn showed Martin information many years ago that Martin had signed contracts before June 6th, he was confounded. As far as he recalled, The Beatles were signed after passing the June 6th audition. Yet here was documentary evidence right there that went against received history. So Lewisohn pursued it even further and discovered the truth as I mentioned above. As he pointed out at a Q&A, "I may have surrendered a quality relationship that I always enjoyed with George and Judy. But again, I can put my hand on my heart that I told [the story] without any agenda."
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:08:46 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »

Logged on this morning to listen to part two which I was saving for my birthday and lo, someone mucked it up for the rest of us.

Embarrassed Undecided Lips Sealed
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »

Deleted
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:37:11 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2018, 12:55:04 PM »

This whole saga is a shame to BBs fandom Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »

Ughhhhhh..... I was waiting until today to listen to this!!!!! Fans are insanely lucky to have access to these videos. I'm extremely disappointed. 
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »

My apologies for anything that I've done that has annoyed Stephen Desper. And my apologies for not catching the fact that the SOS isolated vocal was a cappella, thus rendering my suggestion moot.

Having listened carefully to the isolated version of Blondie's vocal on YouTube, I am certainly willing to beiieve Stephen. The similarities in the vocals are remarkable, however, and reactions to it have produced a most unfortunate outcome. I hope it will not result in Stephen permanently removing his study video, or altering it.

Thanks to SurfRiderHawaii for the YouTube links. They indicate, at the very least, a significant grey area in our ability to definitively identify BBs lead singers merely by listening. What I think we have with the SOS lead is Carl's initial 1971 vocal, singing in a style that is very uncharacteristic per the vocals for which he is famous; Blondie's late 1972 vocal where he copies Carl's approach; and a 1996 live vocal from Carl that returns the favor (though Carl's channeling of Blondie's vocal is more intermittent here, as there are places in the vocal that clearly connect to his more familiar/famous vocal timbre).

I hope that this incident will not produce a permanent parting of the ways with Stephen, and that he'll chalk it up to those of us who are in our various ways "over-invested" in the minutiae of a fascinating but often perplexing band, which itself has a tendency to create arguments and animosities analogous to what went on in the group itself.

And I second the motion that all of the intensely committed Beach Boys fans--located here and/or at Pet Sounds--band back together for the sole purpose of assisting Stephen to publish a hard-copy version of his new edition of RECORDING THE BEACH BOYS. I will state here and now that if such a GoFundMe or Kickstarter (or other reputable source for monetary contribution) is started, I'm in for $500 in a heartbeat.

Again, my apologies for careless reading and fruitless, overzealous efforts at "problem-solving."
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »

I love Stephen Desper's videos, I love his anecdotes and recollections, I love the fact that he's willing to share all of this with us, but...

...That's clearly Blondie on that a capella version of SOS - to be precise, it's the exact same lead vocal as the one that can be heard on the final version of SOS. How it ended up on that cassette is the real mystery here.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2018, 10:47:13 PM »

At the risk of driving us all insane in an already confusing topic, I'd like to attempt to approach this from a different perspective. It certainly sounded like we were all pointing the finger at Mr. Desper and saying "WRONG!!!!!". Well, we pretty much were.  Grin But I think we all went about this in the wrong way. I think that what the vast majority of us were trying and failing to convey is that what appears to us to be an obvious inaccuracy that can be easily fixed can be hurtful to a person's reputation. This speaks to Mr. Desper's standing in the academic and music field. Mr. Desper, I believe that when we were all pointing out that it seemed quite obvious that you were mistaken, we were all trying to protect you. Admittedly, we all went way beyond what could be seen as the point of "overboard". Instead of being helpful and protective of your reputation, we hurt and most probably humiliated you. I for one am pretty embarrassed and ashamed right now. We obsessive fans are a fickle bunch at best, and a right pain in the ass at our worst.  Mr. Desper, I apologize to you for my part in this whole mess.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KirkK
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »

At the risk of driving us all insane in an already confusing topic, I'd like to attempt to approach this from a different perspective. It certainly sounded like we were all pointing the finger at Mr. Desper and saying "WRONG!!!!!". Well, we pretty much were.  Grin But I think we all went about this in the wrong way. I think that what the vast majority of us were trying and failing to convey is that what appears to us to be an obvious inaccuracy that can be easily fixed can be hurtful to a person's reputation. This speaks to Mr. Desper's standing in the academic and music field. Mr. Desper, I believe that when we were all pointing out that it seemed quite obvious that you were mistaken, we were all trying to protect you. Admittedly, we all went way beyond what could be seen as the point of "overboard". Instead of being helpful and protective of your reputation, we hurt and most probably humiliated you. I for one am pretty embarrassed and ashamed right now. We obsessive fans are a fickle bunch at best, and a right pain in the ass at our worst.  Mr. Desper, I apologize to you for my part in this whole mess.

Extremely well said. I agree with every word, and the same goes for me. I absolutely apologize to Mr. Desper.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2018, 11:06:07 PM »

Well said Jay

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2018, 11:12:29 PM »

what he said.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2018, 02:30:44 AM »

Deleted
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:35:50 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2018, 02:56:58 AM »

I've been away for a few days so missed all of this including the upload, sadly. I'm sorry Stephen if you've become aggravated with any responses, just let it be known that the outstanding work you've been doing is very much loved and appreciated.

No one needs to be making excuses for anyone, you were there at that time and for a significant number of historic Beach Boys sessions, and the knowledge you have already imparted is more valuable than many of us could even imagine. I'm sorry if it feels like your hard work on these study videos has being nitpicked or that you've being patronized. Any die hard fan of The Beach Boys would absolutely love to get to view these and observe the new videos.

Thank you for putting all the work in for us fans, and I sincerely hope you'll give us another chance.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:59:47 AM by SamMcK » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2018, 03:12:59 AM »

This thread took quite bizarre twist. Fans insist it's fact that Blondie sings it, yet emphatically apologize that they say it, then throw in expressing great admiration to Mr. Desper, work he's done with BBs yada yada. Then, funnily, they get back to the initial point it's Blondie, no question, full stop, start giving examples of their confused memories, that it could be the same in Mr. Desper's case, i.e. in general what he himself said posters "making excuses for me" which he didn't like. Then fans, again, began to bring apologies, with few people in-between still continuing "It's clearly Blondie" replies, more apologies, admiration, people speculating we drove Mr. Desper away, apologies albeit belated, I-admire-your-work-your-study videos-this-is-amazing-BUT type replies, then possibly there'll be the next batch of posts with similar sentiments.
Welp. Bizarre indeed. Absurd even.
Some people like to offer a sincere and genuine apology if they have offended or hurt a person.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2018, 03:30:49 AM »

Deleted
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:34:59 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2018, 06:46:02 AM »

There ... are ... four ... lights!
Scotts Up
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »

Until further notice. ~swd

Hello Stephen.  I had the good fortune to meet and speak with you while you were engineering the sessions for "Keepin' The Summer Alive" at Daryl Dragon's studio.

I was so enjoying the "Recording the Beach Boys" chapters-- the only great new information I've read on the band in decades.  I'd just made it through Part One and its addendum and was about to dive in to Part Two only to find its access suspended.  I hope this is temporary or that you will make this available elsewhere; it is such a fascinating and valuable resource.  And the sonic revelations in so many of my favorite Beach Boys tracks are astounding, even on my laptop's little speakers.

I had thought of you on the sad occasion of the death of the Beatles' engineer, Geoff Emerick, last week.  You were kindred talents in your respective groundbreaking work in that you didn't just break the conventional rules of audio recording, you re-wrote them.

Nearly 50 years later, "Sunflower" remains one of the best-sounding albums ever recorded, despite any of the inherent limitations you enumerated in your study.  I hope that one day a format will allow its full sonic dimensions to be revealed.

Thanks, Stephen.

Regards,

Scott Paton

sep1958@hotmail.com
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »

I missed it! Oh man....I saw last week that part 2 was now available & assumed I'd have time to come back and check it out when I had more time to do so. I hope this is a temporary situation.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2018, 02:22:40 PM »

Deleted
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:33:51 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2018, 03:46:12 PM »

Oh sh*t, look what I started.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
MsBecca
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »

I see many fans in either board don't understand this - the issue is people kept insisting it's Blondie, to get facts straight or sth. else, & Stephen repeated it's Carl. If Mr. Desper doesn't change what he states, stands by it, why keep telling it's Blondie? Why not give up & say "OK" which doesn't mean you necessarily agree with him, you can think what you think without voicing it. If you're 100% sure it's Blondie, who stops you to be sure about it? Nobody but if you see Mr. Desper says it's Carl, so be it. What's the big deal? If you absolutely believe it's not Carl, shouldn't it be enough & you be happy? Why try to make excuses, present examples, write long posts in reply to Mr. Desper who you see didn't change his mind 1st few times. Then it should be given up & let it be.
ooh boy looks like i am going to have to deal with this the same method I brought on the other place. You know what is wrong with these boards? Everybody is trying to be the board police, everyone wants to be a moderator. Guess what?  It does not work like that.  So it appears that a well regarded historian may have been mistaken in regards to a historical recording, and responded negatively and left. We have people apologizing for their part in it because they feel bad. That should not invalidate the truth of whomever is or is not singing on the track, right? So be it whatever. BUt what does become an issue is when we have others then saying "ooh you should not have said that you are bad" or like the post I quoted. That is why there are problems on this board and especially the other one right now. I rarely post in either place because I amo so fed up with people's attitudes and thinking they are the internet police.  It seems like nobody can look in the mirror and say "ooh maybe I should not talk to people like a complete piece of excrement, maybe I am the one who is wrong". There is the problem. Not moderation, not whose message board is better, nothing else.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2018, 04:44:45 PM »

WOW!...What did I wander into?

I saw Part Two uploaded a few days ago, and thought I would come back and listen on a better sound system when I returned home, but it's gone!

I sure hope this all gets worked out somehow as I would really love to hear it. I've enjoyed the other Study Videos immensely. Thank You Stephen.

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »

Deleted
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:32:38 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx