gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:47:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: An interesting view on Brian's "lecherous" lyrics  (Read 19544 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 07:12:30 AM »

Not that long ago since Jagger (at 59 or 60) was hanging out with a 17 year-old model.  Maybe he was helping her with her homework.  Pick up any Sunday supplement magazine and you're looking at 17 year-old girls modelling outfits for women in their 20s and 30s - or is to appeal to their husbands and boyfriends?

I think BW treated his daughters and Marilyn appallingly; I don't think there's too much more to it than that.

"Brian & Marilyn were married 12/7/64 when he was 22 and she was 16. But when they first met, October 1962 at Pandora's Box, it was 20/14, and by the summer of the following year, they were in essence living together at the Rovell's house. Just pointing out that Brian has a long history of attraction to young teens."  Okay, so 21/15 wouldn't look good by our standards now, but how was it looked upon in the neighbourhood at that time?  Or was it a case of, "Oh, it's one of the Wilsons. They're nuts, you know."

As for this, "Has it not been posited that a reason for Brian's artistic and commercial success was his understanding of and identification with the teenage psyche?" Well... if that's the case and this is a key element in the music's appeal, what does it say about the rest of us; what sort of feeling does it arouse in our minds? I left my teens a long time ago. 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:51:58 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 07:46:56 AM »

BTW, what's with "Rollin up to heaven" ? I think I hear "she's not worried 'bout her parents" in that song, around 1:37, so it's probably about a younger girl, isn't it? And you know the rest of the lyrics I guess
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 08:00:24 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 08:07:25 AM »

For the record (for what that's worth coming from a cipher on a message board, such as I am) I don't reckon Brian was or is a 'pervert', whatever else he may be. I figure his artistic and commercial success came from his absolute brilliance as a musician. The lyrics for songs like LL, Tomboy, and I wanna Pick You Up don't offend me at all - I will admit to my eyes bugging out of my head a bit when I first heard the line about one shaving one's legs. I don't even think there's necessarily  a huge difference between 21 and 15. For Jerry Lee, by every account I've read Myra was the mature one of the pair from the beginning. For Brian, Marilyn's parents seemingly had a good grasp of the situation, which to me is somehow important.

Look, Brian could have used sections of the Yellow Pages as lyrics and it still would have sounded great - not sure though if I'd feel the same way if he'd used passages from Mein Kampf or something like that.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 10:29:25 AM »

"I will admit to my eyes bugging out of my head a bit when I first heard the line about one shaving one's legs."

Know what you mean! They're just so dumb anyhow!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 10:59:32 AM »

"Brian & Marilyn were married 12/7/64 when he was 22 and she was 16. But when they first met, October 1962 at Pandora's Box, it was 20/14, and by the summer of the following year, they were in essence living together at the Rovell's house. Just pointing out that Brian has a long history of attraction to young teens."  Okay, so 21/15 wouldn't look good by our standards now, but how was it looked upon in the neighbourhood at that time?  Or was it a case of, "Oh, it's one of the Wilsons. They're nuts, you know."

Well, I'm no expert on social mores in early sixties Hawthorne (but I'll bet someone is !), however, I present to you these two scenarios (scenaria ?):

Marilyn (aged 15) introduces 21-year-old Brian Wilson, hugely wealthy main man of the famous Beach Boys to her parents.

Marilyn (aged 15) introduces 21-year-old Dwayne Geekly, burger jockey at Foster's Freez to her parents.

Now. which one is more likely to be told "sure, you can sleep in the girls room", and which one is going to have his sorry ass kicked all the way down Sierra Bonita ?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 11:01:04 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 11:28:03 AM »

Well, I'm no expert on social mores in early sixties Hawthorne (but I'll bet someone is !), however, I present to you these two scenarios (scenaria ?):

Marilyn (aged 15) introduces 21-year-old Brian Wilson, hugely wealthy main man of the famous Beach Boys to her parents.

Marilyn (aged 15) introduces 21-year-old Dwayne Geekly, burger jockey at Foster's Freez to her parents.

Now. which one is more likely to be told "sure, you can sleep in the girls room", and which one is going to have his sorry ass kicked all the way down Sierra Bonita ?

Hmmmmm... depends whether her parents want her to have an 'in' in the music biz, or the exciting world of fast-food retail.
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 04:26:59 PM »

Whomever was more well-hung
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 05:22:59 PM »

Whomever was more well-hung

LOL Or, actually, in this case...  police

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 11:44:39 PM »

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:29:25 AM by forget marie » Logged
Wilsonista
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2006, 08:49:18 AM »

AGD and forgetmarie have hit the nail on the head regarding Brian and Marilyn.

I especially loved AGD's name for the burger flipper.  High Five
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2006, 02:30:08 PM »

It's not that different than Celine Dion and her manager-husband, Rene Angelil.  He met Celine when she was 12 and he was 38, and her parents offered her to him to make her a star.  How could they know that those crazy kids would fall in love?  Though Rene obviously was no kid.  Back in the '60s, legal adulthood was 21, so Brian was still one of the kids when he met Marilyn, legally speaking.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2006, 05:18:36 PM »

Back in the '60s, legal adulthood was 21, so Brian was still one of the kids when he met Marilyn, legally speaking.

That's an excellent point.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2006, 01:30:50 AM »

I think this subject is interesting. Who among us cannot say that we have never found a teen attractive? The difference is would we act on it. I can say no. I remember my friends wife told me I was lying when I said that I wouldn't go out with a 18 year old. I'm 30 now and really I wouldn't I just don't think I would have anything much to say. I am glad my girlfriend is in my age group and wouldn't want it any other way really. Again do I think Jerry Lee and Brian loved there brides? Sure but both were men who didn't deal with reality like you or I, and were immature. Doesn't excuse it though.

BTW she was 13 not that it makes a hell of a lot of difference. One other thing Jerry was like 14 when he first got married and the girl was like 18 or 19. Interesting how that worked.
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2006, 02:39:09 AM »

i recend my well hung remark....tasteless
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2006, 08:33:43 AM »

i recend my well hung remark....tasteless

Maybe, but I Lol'd.  Grin

MBE
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2006, 08:40:29 AM »

I think this topic has been really interesting.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2006, 05:46:59 PM »

This a great and a bit ambiguous song, an example of writing from a character's point of view:

Art Lover
(Ray Davies)

Sunday afternoon there's something special
It's just like another world.
Jogging in the park is my excuse
To look at all the little girls.

I'm not a flasher in a rain coat,
I'm not a dirty old man,
I'm not gonna snatch you from your mother,
I'm an art lover.
Come to daddy,
Ah, come to daddy,
Come to daddy.

Pretty little legs, I want to draw them,
Like a Degas ballerina.
Pure white skin, like porcelain,
She's a work of art and I should know
I'm an art lover.
Come to daddy,
And I'll give you some spangles.

Little girl don't notice me
Watching as she innocently plays.
She can't see me staring at her
Because I'm always wearing shades.
She feeds the ducks, looks at the flowers.
I follow her around for hours and hours.
I'd take her home, but that could never be,
She's just a substitute
For what's been taken from me.
Ah, come to daddy, come on.

Sunday afternoon can't last forever,
Wish I could take you home.
So, come on, give us a smile
Before you vanish out of view.
I've learned to appreciate you
The way art lovers do,
And I only want to look at you.

Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 10:53:58 AM »

John Mark Karr's favorite song apparently!!! he's a Bowie look alike too.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 11:21:08 AM »

I think you all are too obsessed with this age thing. Maybe that's because when i was turning 30 my girlfriend at the time was 17. Some people raised their eyebrows at that. But now I'm 48 and she's 35 and we've been living together for 18 years, we've been married for 11 and we have two great kids ages 10 and 5. And in seven years when my daughter brings home a 30 year old man...I'll kill him. No...I'll try to evaluate him fairly and find the positive things that attracted my very well-balanced and intelligent daughter to him. Then I'll kill him.

Anyway, I'm pushing 50 and my wife is still pretty and young...and I wouldn't change anything...especially the age difference.
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2006, 03:44:15 AM »

Posted by: Jon Stebbins

I think you all are too obsessed with this age thing. Maybe that's because when i was turning 30 my girlfriend at the time was 17. Some people raised their eyebrows at that. But now I'm 48 and she's 35 and we've been living together for 18 years, we've been married for 11 and we have two great kids ages 10 and 5. And in seven years when my daughter brings home a 30 year old man...I'll kill him. No...I'll try to evaluate him fairly and find the positive things that attracted my very well-balanced and intelligent daughter to him. Then I'll kill him.

Anyway, I'm pushing 50 and my wife is still pretty and young...and I wouldn't change anything...especially the age difference.

Grin
Would it be more/less acceptable if it was an old lady and a young guy?  I'm trying to imagine, say, Barbra Streisand singing the lyrics about young men.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2006, 03:57:31 AM »

or Chuck Berry, who never sang about it but certainly DID it)

Have you never paid much attention to the lyrics of Memphis Tennessee?!

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2006, 05:01:18 AM »

Memphis is a genuine father-daughter song.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2006, 05:46:41 AM »

Memphis is a genuine father-daughter song.

Perhaps but don't you think there's a little knowing ambiguity there, certainly in the way it's presented to the listener?  Until the last verse I think you could be forgiven for thinking the song's about an adult young woman.  I mean we're talking about an era here when Chuck's contemporaries were singing about 'bald head Sally' (dropped from The Beatles' version - I wonder why?) and, in real life, marrying their 13 year old cousins, well, one of them was marrying his 13 year old cousin.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 05:54:34 AM by Sir Rob » Logged

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2006, 05:58:12 AM »

Hey baby you're a sweet young thing,
Still tied to Mommy's apron strings,
I don't even dare to ask your age,
It's enough to know you're here backstage,
You're Jailbait, and I just can't wait,
Jailbait baby come on
One chase baby, all I need,
My decision made at lightning speed,
I don't even want to know your name,
It's enough to know you feel the same,
Jailbait, and I just can't wait,
Jailbait baby get down

Tell you baby oh you look so fine,
Sending quivers up and down my spine,
I don't care about our different ages,
I'm an open book with well thumbed pages,
Jailbait, oh and I ain't too late,
Jailbait baby get down

Ahhhh, the poetry of Lemmy... and this does not come close to comparing with the sleaze factor of the Jailbait song by Andre Williams. These tunes may help put Brian's more lecherous moments into perspective.

I wonder if 'Hey Nineteen' was originally titled 'Hey Thirteen'?

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2006, 12:52:43 PM »

A few years ago, a girl I knew (who at the time was around 15) was in a relationship with an adult member of a very popular band. They broke up before I really knew her that well, but a little later she started dating another adult someone in a far less popular band. I remember her telling me one time that her parents let him sleep in her room. Now, if she got away with it with the barely-on-the-map-band member, I could imagine that when she was with the uber-famous-MTV-band member, it was also allowed. And this was the 21st century.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx