gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:56:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208859 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: September 17, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »

Saw Ben Gibbard was the special guest tonight. Wonder what he sang with them?

God Only Knows

Wow...now I REALLY wish I could've been there

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: September 17, 2019, 11:56:18 AM »

Or, how about the possibility that these musicians were either offered or asked for the chance to sing or even be onstage with one of their musical idols before they won't have that chance any more?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: September 17, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »

I'm sure these guest spots would have to involve one side approaching the other. And sure, I'm guessing nobody in the organization is thinking that a guest spot from the singer from Death Cab for Cutie is going to see a huge influx of last-minute ticket sales.

I would imagine it's a combination of all of the above. It's a mutual admiration sort of thing, and the Brian social media team also smartly puts it out there that someone will be at the show to stir up any additional interest.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 17, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »

I noticed the lead singer of The Zombies sang GOKs in this Seattle clip. Nice job but I do think that should be Brian period. Perhaps he was unwell?

https://youtu.be/xLz_5hrC5Yg

If Colin Blunstone is singing a Beach Boys song during a Brian show, I am not going to complain one bit.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 17, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »

Blondie on Feel Flows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztnrRmeL_q4

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 17, 2019, 02:48:05 PM »

I was at the Seattle show and loved it! The band was on and I was so impressed with the arrangements of the Friends material.  Blondie also did a great job on Sail on Sailor, Feel Flows, and also threw in a shout out to "Brother Carl" at the beginning of Long Promised Road.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRERmo3uk9s

Brian for the most part seemed to sit at his piano and stare into the distance. He took some leads but missed a lot of cues. An example is when he came in on Busy Doin' Nothin' he missed "I get a lot of thoughts in the.."and just chimed in with "...morning.." It seemed like an off night for him and even at the end during the curtain calls, at one point Brian was sitting at the piano when someone came and said something to him, gestured a waving motion and Brian seemed to click in and wave. https://youtu.be/O3zU0d2Jthw?t=37

One interesting part was when someone from the back of the room shouted loudly "We love you Brian!", to which Brian responded with a "Thank You." He then gave a strong performance on Heroes and Villains, which seemed to be his best vocals of the night. Little Bird was not to bad either.

Overall, I had a great time and the band was cooking. The Zombies sounded great as well. I was quite impressed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 17, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »

I noticed the lead singer of The Zombies sang GOKs in this Seattle clip. Nice job but I do think that should be Brian period. Perhaps he was unwell?

https://youtu.be/xLz_5hrC5Yg

If Colin Blunstone is singing a Beach Boys song during a Brian show, I am not going to complain one bit.
Now I am thinking it would have been cool to hear Carl sing a Zombies song.

If only....
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 19, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »

I have an extra ticket for Philadelphia Saturday Sept. 28th - my husband can no longer go.  If anyone is interested in the ticket, send me a PM. 
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 21, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »

Last night it was announced that Tuesday's Detroit show is being moved to a venue in Royal Oak due to unforeseen circumstances.  I'm guessing those circumstances are very low ticket sales as the Royal Oak venue is much smaller and better..  So while I wish they had more support, I'm psyched for the change.  I foresaw this when the show as announced.. I always thought the Detroit venue was too big. 
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 23, 2019, 05:58:09 AM »

I went to the Milwaukee show last night. It was my first Brian show in several years. The band sounded as good as always. Matt Jardine is a great addition. He not only brings a great voice, but also some nice energy.

It's impossible to ever get tired of Blondie!! Great voice, great guitar playing, and great presence. The guy had at least 2 costume changes!

Brian struggled at times (more than I've seen before and I'm double digit for Brian shows). There were times where he appeared completely disengaged and sat slumped in his chair, but then something would catch him and he'd sound great. I really had to ponder, however, how much he wants to be out there anymore.

I liked the mix of Friends era songs. Really fun watching the band bring Diamond Head to life. Cool hearing Al to Lookin' at Tomorrow. Al's presence in general was very positive. The guy is pretty ageless.

At one point during the end of the set - Paul Mertens put down his sax mid-song, walked over to Brian, put his hands on Brian's shoulders and gave him a hug. I don't know if the band sensed Brian might have really been struggling, but it was a touching gesture.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: September 23, 2019, 06:49:38 AM »

At one point during the end of the set - Paul Mertens put down his sax mid-song, walked over to Brian, put his hands on Brian's shoulders and gave him a hug. I don't know if the band sensed Brian might have really been struggling, but it was a touching gesture.
From my angle, it looked like he adjusted Brian's chair so he could be closer to the microphone. Brian looked kind of startled.

My mom attended and it was her first Brian Wilson / Beach Boys show and she said she was crying the whole time because of Brian's condition. I admit I got a little emotional during Surf's Up realizing it's the first and likely last I'll hear him perform it and as I was having that thought, Brian had a 1000-yard long stare in my general direction.

The band sounded great as always and it was a pleasure having the Zombies open.

I had hoped to get Al to sign my Pet Sounds but he didn't seem to be in the mood and waved us off before and after the show.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:55:44 AM by roffels » Logged
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 23, 2019, 07:14:16 AM »

When I went to my first Brian show at the Beacon in NYC in June 1999, I had the feeling that Brian was Tinkerbell - we all had to believe in him in order for him to exist.  While I don't doubt that he was willing to be out there, he had a lot to overcome mentally and emotionally. 
Last night in Milwaukee, I had the same feeling again.  This time, I still don't doubt that he was willing to be there, but now his challenges are physical.  He often missed the first few words of a song, but when he was on, he was ON.  It was a treat to hear him do some songs for the first time in concert, and others he hasn't done in a long time.  And as always, the guys around him were amazing. 
"Diamond Head" was stunning.
 Blondie sang out "Brother Carl, where are you?" before "Long Promised Road". It's something to realize that he owes much of what he's done in his career to Carl. 
Near the end of GOK, Brian raised up his arms and the lights swept up the audience - I almost lost it. 
Matt Jardine's son joined in for a few songs at the end - the next generation of Jardines is being trained!
It was an emotional show for me, in a good way. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 23, 2019, 07:17:21 AM »

From my angle, it looked like he adjusted Brian's chair so he could be closer to the microphone. Brian looked kind of startled.

My mom attended and it was her first Brian Wilson / Beach Boys show and she said she was crying the whole time because of Brian's condition. I admit I got a little emotional during Surf's Up realizing it's the first and likely last I'll hear him perform it and as I was having that thought, Brian had a 1000-yard long stare in my general direction.

The band sounded great as always and it was a pleasure having the Zombies open.

I had hoped to get Al to sign my Pet Sounds but he didn't seem to be in the mood and waved us off before and after the show.

You might be right. It looked like Brian was having issues with the microphone the entire show. Guess I just had it in my mind that he was struggling so much that the idea of someone offering moral support seemed to make sense.

It was my girlfriend's first Brian Wilson show. The show left her feeling troubled, but it was interesting hearing a review from someone who had never seen a Brian Wilson concert before.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 23, 2019, 07:19:44 AM »

When I went to my first Brian show at the Beacon in NYC in June 1999, I had the feeling that Brian was Tinkerbell - we all had to believe in him in order for him to exist.  While I don't doubt that he was willing to be out there, he had a lot to overcome mentally and emotionally. 
Last night in Milwaukee, I had the same feeling again.  This time, I still don't doubt that he was willing to be there, but now his challenges are physical.  He often missed the first few words of a song, but when he was on, he was ON.  It was a treat to hear him do some songs for the first time in concert, and others he hasn't done in a long time.  And as always, the guys around him were amazing. 
"Diamond Head" was stunning.
 Blondie sang out "Brother Carl, where are you?" before "Long Promised Road". It's something to realize that he owes much of what he's done in his career to Carl. 
Near the end of GOK, Brian raised up his arms and the lights swept up the audience - I almost lost it. 
Matt Jardine's son joined in for a few songs at the end - the next generation of Jardines is being trained!
It was an emotional show for me, in a good way. 

Diamond Head was fantastic!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: September 23, 2019, 09:04:20 AM »

New "Greatest Hits" tour date announced for January 17, 2020 in Florida on the same bill with... The Cowsills. Added to top post schedule (I'll eventually break the 2020 dates out later into a separate thread when/if more 2020 dates materialize).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 23, 2019, 09:33:07 AM »

I was also at the show in Milwaukee last night. I wanted to have some time to reflect before I shared my thoughts...

After the Zombies set (which was fantastic), the curtains closed, and reopened with the beginning chords of California Girls.  I can only assume this decision was made in reaction to BW's physical shape, probably not to alarm the audience with him entering with a walker or wheelchair...  The curtains also closed before he exited the stage, so I don't know how he got on and off.

This was my third time seeing Brian, and he seemed in a horrible mental/physical state. Basically incoherent. And I'm not saying that to be bitter, or being too harsh on Bri, when I saw him in 2015, he was incredibly engaged, and I'd only describe him as "socially awkward" (saying some bizarre one offs, like opening the entire show with "You can be seated ladies and gentlemen, don't worry, no one's gonna steal your car"... Classic Brianisms. But last night, he was almost completely silent the whole time. The only song he introduced was Sloop John B, by saying "This is one me and Al do" and Sail On Sailor, when Blondie pointed to Bri, asking for the song name, to which Brian answered.

Brian was constantly coming in late on lines, and kinda messing up his words, but his pitch was pretty on point. His voice sounded more relaxed than the other times I saw him, but he looked far more anxious. Some songs like Little Bird and Heroes & Villains sounded like BW ten years ago. His other lead vocals were pretty rough but the band was so incredible that it made up for Bri's singing.

Darian was on fire, his vocal on I Can Hear Music stole the show. Rob B also totally has proven his guitar chops, he is fantastic player. Gary and Darian are a great duo on the keys. Al and Blondie's voices were both in great shape, and they were both in very positive spirits. Blondie's "Where are you Brother Carl?" echoing throughout the theater sent chills down my spine.

One of the highlights of the night was Sail on Sailor, because it started with just Brian's piano. He was playing the intro chords in that bluesy shuffle feel before Mike even counted the song off, so once he started doing that, Blondie came in chugging on guitar, and then the whole group jumped in. I think, moving forward, that would be a really cool way to show off Brian's piano playing, sort of like Wind Chimes during the Smile tour.

Brian played about the same amount of piano as the other times I've seen him. Playing about 50% (generously) of the time when he was not singing, and hands by his side (or waving/snapping) during his vocals. But his piano was louder in the mix than I've ever heard before and that was a treat. He was also noodling around on the keys in between songs a couple of times, which was pretty cool. Now that I think about it, Brian's piano was far more present in the house mix last night, than I've ever heard Bruce's (aside from Disney Girls) since I've been seeing the two groups since 2014. We know that originally the keyboard was just a prop for comfort, but it really seems like around 2011/2012, and since, Brian has wanted to actually participate on the keys, and wants to be heard. Brian always had a really interesting piano technique, and his playing does add to the band's overall sound.

Al's vocals and guitar playing were fantastic. His voice truly never ages. He played lead on Sail On Sailor, and it sounded great.

Like many others have said, last night was incredibly bittersweet and emotional. I'm not saying I predict anything eminent, but it did feel like the last time I would ever seen Brian. When the curtains closed on him, I got choked up, and felt like that was it. But who am I to say- he's Brian "Willpower" Wilson  

If you're looking to leave with a "Fun, Fun, Fun" kind of feeling, I'd suggest Mike's band currently over Brian's. I don't think anyone leaves that show without a smile on their face. Last night, I'd say about half of the audience seemed sobered by what they had just witnessed. But if you're looking to see the guy who composed the music, surrounded by an incredible band, and an adoring audience, who gives him every ounce of support they can, don't miss this tour! Hearing the Friends/Surf's Up material played live was absolutely sublime. Magical. Diamond Head blew my mind. Meant For You, Friends, Wake The World, Passing By, Little Bird, all sounded AMAZING.

I subscribe to the logic that despite all the gossip, at the end of the day, Brian wants to tour, so I'm thrilled to go to the show and support that. However, last night, it didn't look like he was having a good time. He looked miserable and it has become clear the pain is no longer just emotional, but also physical. It looked like every line was painful for him to sing. Like he was almost grimacing. I assume it's from his intense back pain. If that's the case, then why not just have him play piano? No one was complaining about Al, Matt, Darian, and Blondie taking leads- in fact, it was sort of a relief. From what I could tell, Brian was enjoying himself more when he was just playing piano, then when he was singing. But most of the time, he was doing neither, and was in, what looked to be a daze. Staring into the audience like a deer in the headlights.

I thought a good night of sleep would put the show in perspective for me, and make it easier to write about, but it was very emotional and it was the type of situation I'm not sure I could explain through these means.

Al has become a very comfortable, competent front man, Blondie rocks when he's onstage, the band is glorious, and Brian was trying his hardest. So for that alone, to see the man himself, after all these years, still concurring his demons, I'll give the show a 10/10. The show was a spiritual experience.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:36:03 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 23, 2019, 10:30:46 AM »

^^^ This is a great review and really helped me put last night in perspective.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 23, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »

Thanks for all the great reviews.   

The tour is now basically a month old, so it's possible that Brian is getting tired.

Thinking back over the past few weeks, it seems there's been something of an arc.  Brian struggled a little at the first few shows, then hit his stride at the Greek in L.A., and perhaps now is feeling a bit fatigued.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, some random woman said to me after the Indio show, "And that's the last time you'll ever see him."    I don't know whether she's right. Maybe, maybe not.  We'll see.   

Perhaps the economics of running a tour like this require cramming 16-17 shows into a month, but that's gotta be grueling for Brian.   Maybe a mini tour of a half-dozen shows relatively close to home would be the better way to go.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 23, 2019, 12:43:25 PM »

You might be right. It looked like Brian was having issues with the microphone the entire show. Guess I just had it in my mind that he was struggling so much that the idea of someone offering moral support seemed to make sense.

[/quote] Maybe he needed Bruce Johnston there for some tips on this.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 23, 2019, 01:02:21 PM »

joe_blow ,

When Brian and co. were constantly adjusting and trying to fix his mic, my friend said to me, 'Where's Bruce when you need him???'  Grin Grin LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 23, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »

Maybe he needed Bruce Johnston there for some tips on this.
[/quote]

I had the same thought during the show!!  Grin

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 23, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »

God did the universe a huge favor when he created Brian Wilson.  Please enjoy every second of his existence!
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 23, 2019, 02:59:29 PM »

I was also in Milwaukee last night, having traveled there from Peoria with a friend. Not sure how many BW solo shows I've attended to date, but since 2004, probably about 20ish.

This was my first show since Oct 2017 in Peoria, and I was looking forward to a respite from the Pet Sounds shows. My friend and I know perfectly well the pitfalls that await if BW is having an "off night." I've seen a few of them over the years. But, this was not just an "off night." This was a flat out off the charts abysmal night. I was in the fifth row and in pure agony on BW's own behalf. Not sure if it was the physical problems or if he was having one of his own self-admitted voices attacks. But, clearly he was disturbed. He also appeared extremely hoarse, as if he were suffering from a cold. The low point of the night was the hacking cough throughout the opening verse of Busy Doin' Nothing.

I saw a BW show in Kansas City back in 2016 that I would categorize as "off" that made me question the future of these shows. But, then I attended the show the following evening in Tunica, MS, where he was totally in sync and having a blast. So, who knows? Maybe last night was just a severely unfortunate evening.

Interesting side note that my friend and I were having pre-show dinner at a restaurant around the block from the theatre. My friend looked up at our booth and noticed that Al Jardine, Mike D'Amico, and their spouses were at the next table. I didn't want to be "that guy" that barges in on a dinner, but as I was leaving, I did lean forward and tell them I was here from Peoria and looking forward to the show.  Al was pleasant and smiling, but kind of shy and distant. D'Amico was a nice guy.  They did implore upon me to get over to the theater ASAP and not miss the Zombies and sang the praises of Odessy and Oracle.

Like I said, I always go into these shows expecting them to be a tribute to a great musical icon, understanding full well BW could have a bad night. If I were not an uber fan and went to the show as a casual and curious observer wanting an oldies show, last night was the first BW show I have ever attended that I would likely have asked for a refund. And, it pains me to say that.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 23, 2019, 03:07:07 PM »

joe_blow ,

When Brian and co. were constantly adjusting and trying to fix his mic, my friend said to me, 'Where's Bruce when you need him???'  Grin Grin LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Ha ha!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 23, 2019, 06:35:14 PM »

I agree that last night was more than just an "off night". Brian either looked terrified or spaced out. It reminded me a little of some early 80's clips...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx