gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:29:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208854 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: September 11, 2019, 01:44:41 PM »

As mentioned in the Carl Wilson late 70s thread, can I suggest this topic be continued there so as not to bog down Brian’s tour thread?

Just saying.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:46:45 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: September 11, 2019, 02:33:38 PM »

I didn't envision that there was much left to say about Carl and his issues. The topic came up relating to how Brian is dealing with back issues versus how Carl may have long ago. Seems like a normal slight thread deviation to me, nothing more. If anything, Carl's situation back in 1978 details how Brian dealing with his back issues by *not* going off the deep end is, obviously, fortuitous if nothing else.

I'm sure once Brian's dates start back up over the next few days, there will be more discussion of that.

Back on to Brian's tour, I was thinking that, if he were to continue touring next year, these partial Friends/Surf's Up mini-sets indicate a format that he could use on a few other albums. Specifically, and referencing something Al also mentioned in a recent interview, they could perhaps do a hunk of "Sunflower" next year. I've never thought doing the full album was likely; I don't envision anyone in Brian's band singing "Tears in the Morning." But I could picture a set of 6-7 "Sunflower" songs, perhaps:

Add Some Music To Your Day
This Whole World
Forever
All I Wanna Do
At My Window
Our Sweet Love
Cool Cool Water

This would also provide a mix of leads from the group, Brian, Al, Darian, and Matt.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 11, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »

Fair enough HJ, but we do know how threads have gone seriously off topic sometimes

Nice shot Bossaroo, especially Brian’s kit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:44:23 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 11, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »

(moved to another thread)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:05:18 PM by Kid Presentable » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 11, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »

I didn't envision that there was much left to say about Carl and his issues. The topic came up relating to how Brian is dealing with back issues versus how Carl may have long ago. Seems like a normal slight thread deviation to me, nothing more. If anything, Carl's situation back in 1978 details how Brian dealing with his back issues by *not* going off the deep end is, obviously, fortuitous if nothing else.

I'm sure once Brian's dates start back up over the next few days, there will be more discussion of that.

Back on to Brian's tour, I was thinking that, if he were to continue touring next year, these partial Friends/Surf's Up mini-sets indicate a format that he could use on a few other albums. Specifically, and referencing something Al also mentioned in a recent interview, they could perhaps do a hunk of "Sunflower" next year. I've never thought doing the full album was likely; I don't envision anyone in Brian's band singing "Tears in the Morning." But I could picture a set of 6-7 "Sunflower" songs, perhaps:

This Whole World
Forever
All I Wanna Do
At My Window
Our Sweet Love
Cool Cool Water

This would also provide a mix of leads from the group, Brian, Al, Darian, and Matt.

Actually there was a video (Endless Harmony?) where the song Cool Cool Water comes up and Brian from memory gets pretty excited then starts singing it. Would be a great addition.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 12, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »

This Whole World
Forever
All I Wanna Do
At My Window
Our Sweet Love
Cool Cool Water

Would love this!

I thought that all the guys singing Add Some Music around the piano was one of the major highlights of C50... hence the screenname I chose when I started posting here that year.  Smiley

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 12, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »

Awesome potential setlist, but I'd throw in Blondie doing "It's About Time" as well.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: September 12, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »

Awesome potential setlist, but I'd throw in Blondie doing "It's About Time" as well.

I would not protest that eventuality in the slightest. They seem to stick to giving Blondie three leads for whatever reason, and he's probably always going to do "Sail on Sailor", so they could indeed mess around with the other two. "Long Promised Road" has sounded quite good. Maybe they could swap "Feel Flows" for "It's About Time" or something along those lines. Or, crazy I know, let Blondie take four leads.

Of course, I have a slew of other songs I'd like to see them do. I still think "Goin' On" would be perfect for the band to do, and *nobody* in any of the touring bands has touched that song live since 1980.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 12, 2019, 12:03:07 PM »

Per Brian's Facebook:

Brian's got some amazing (surprise) special guests performing with him at the Greek Theatre in L.A. tonight! There are tickets still available!

I wonder who they could be talking about???
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 12, 2019, 12:08:03 PM »

Maybe the reason Blondie is onstage so little is simply because he's 68 years old, and it'd maybe cause him some pain to be standing up onstage for two hours. Maybe his appearances throughout the show are all he can physically handle at this age?

With that being said, if those reasons aren't the case, I'd love to see Blondie on stage the whole time. He obviously knows the hits from playing with The BBs during his original tenure, and he's definetely a competent musician who could learn material like "Lookin At Tomorrow" or "I Can Hear Music"... His presence on guitar might also give some of the early rockers the drive they need.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 12, 2019, 09:30:03 PM »

Maybe the reason Blondie is onstage so little is simply because he's 68 years old, and it'd maybe cause him some pain to be standing up onstage for two hours. Maybe his appearances throughout the show are all he can physically handle at this age?

With that being said, if those reasons aren't the case, I'd love to see Blondie on stage the whole time. He obviously knows the hits from playing with The BBs during his original tenure, and he's definetely a competent musician who could learn material like "Lookin At Tomorrow" or "I Can Hear Music"... His presence on guitar might also give some of the early rockers the drive they need.
Al is standing on stage the whole time, and he's considerably older than Blondie.

Count me in as another one who would like to see Blondie take more leads. There are a number of songs from Carl and the Passions and Holland that would make a lot of sense.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: September 13, 2019, 03:49:42 AM »

Looks like Billy Idol was one of the special guests.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2VyTT1Dn0z/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2V13y2FDSw/?hl=en
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:52:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 13, 2019, 08:56:40 AM »

Brian's LA show at The Greek Theater was phenomenal. A really, really moving tribute to Carl by the whole band (Blondie in particular).

A few notes:

- Just prior to singing Long Promised Road, Blondie did what I'd best describe as a chant, where he shouted something to the effect of "Carl, where are you now", and with those poignant words echoing with reverb into the open air, it was truly something to witness. I can't quiet explain how moving that was. Everyone was missing Carl hard at this show. The song's performance (and Feel Flows) were also breathtaking. Blondie adds SO much to the show.

- During the tag/outro of Long Promised Road, Blondie added "in the nude" after the vocal "I'd Love to See You", thus tying in Brian's Wild Honey classic.

- Darian and Matt were vocally amazing. The whole band really lifted up Brian in such a profound way. There was something emotional in the air that I haven't really felt at most other BW shows. Blondie also paid an emotional tribute to Nicky.

- Al was awesome, as usual, and goofed up a bit on Looking At Tomorrow, and played the song with a goofy, slightly embarrassed grin on his face.

- Brian thanked many people, including Kevin Leslie, who Brian said was in the audience. I was not expecting that. I don't know the details of their relationship, but as always, Brian is an especially kind and forgiving soul.

- Brian played piano (with no other instrumentation) during In My Room, and I hope that shuts up anyone who says that Brian doesn't play any actual piano at shows. I have a feeling this arrangement was cooked up for that very reason.

- The Friends songs were OUTTASIGHT. Never in a MILLION years thought I'd see Diamond Head and Passing By played live. Little Bird was fantastic. Friends (the song) BLEW ME AWAY.

- So glad to see this NOT be a Pet Sounds show. Brian and the whole band were much more engaged with the Friends material. Darian looked like he was REALLY having fun with those songs.

- Billy's Idol appearance was a rad, very unexpected treat.

See Brian on this tour if you have the chance. Do it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:07:11 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: September 13, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »

Brian's LA show at The Greek Theater was phenomenal. A really, really moving tribute to Carl by the whole band (Blondie in particular).

A few notes:

- Just prior to singing Long Promised Road, Blondie did what I'd best describe as a chant, where he shouted something to the effect of "Carl, where are you now", and with those poignant words echoing with reverb into the open air, it was truly something to witness. I can't quiet explain how moving that was. Everyone was missing Carl hard at this show. The song's performance (and Feel Flows) were also breathtaking. Blondie adds SO much to the show.

- During the tag/outro of Long Promised Road, Blondie added "in the nude" after the vocal "I'd Love to See You", thus tying in Brian's Wild Honey classic.

- Darian and Matt were vocally amazing. The whole band really lifted up Brian in such a profound way. There was something emotional in the air that I haven't really felt at most other BW shows. Blondie also paid an emotional tribute to Nicky.

- Al was awesome, as usual, and goofed up a bit on Looking At Tomorrow, and played the song with a goofy, slightly embarrassed grin on his face.

- Brian thanked many people, including Kevin Leslie, who Brian said was in the audience. I was not expecting that. I don't know the details of their relationship, but as always, Brian is an especially kind and forgiving soul.

- Brian played piano (with no other instrumentation) during In My Room, and I hope that shuts up anyone who says that Brian doesn't play any actual piano at shows. I have a feeling this arrangement was cooked up for that very reason.

- The Friends songs were OUTTASIGHT. Never in a MILLION years thought I'd see Diamond Head and Passing By played live. Little Bird was fantastic. Friends (the song) BLEW ME AWAY.

- So glad to see this NOT be a Pet Sounds show. Brian and the whole band were much more engaged with the Friends material. Darian looked like he was REALLY having fun with those songs.

Fantastic review! So glad you got the chance to see Brian on his home turf. Sounds like an *amazing* night.

I'm going this time. I have my tickets. I sat out the last few PS tours since 2016, but this one I felt was going to be special. And I hope they keep Diamond Head and Passing By in the setlist by the time they hit the East Coast.

Second the notion posted by CD to see this tour...it isn't going to last forever.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 13, 2019, 09:50:10 AM »

Blondie did that in Indio a couple weeks ago, as well.  "Brother Carl, where are you?  Brother Carl, where are you?"  Glad to hear that the audience responded well to that (compared to at Indio where it seemed to me that much of the audience didn't really get it).  Sounds like a great show
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 13, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »

A few notes:

Fantastic review! So glad you got the chance to see Brian on his home turf. Sounds like an *amazing* night.

I'm going this time. I have my tickets. I sat out the last few PS tours since 2016, but this one I felt was going to be special. And I hope they keep Diamond Head and Passing By in the setlist by the time they hit the East Coast.

Second the notion posted by CD to see this tour...it isn't going to last forever.

Yep. It's a very, very special tour. It's really worth seeing, and it's not going to last forever.

Also, can't believe I forgot to mention how RAD The Zombies were. Wow. If the Brian set wasn't great enough, this was an wonderful appetizer for the evening. Also props to Darian and Probyn for killing it during The Zombies' set.

Darian is really the unsung hero for so much of this wonderful music being brought to life. What a dude.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:25:53 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 13, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »

Al is standing on stage the whole time, and he's considerably older than Blondie.

Count me in as another one who would like to see Blondie take more leads. There are a number of songs from Carl and the Passions and Holland that would make a lot of sense.

As someone who’s always up for hearing some Love You songs in the set, I think Blondie would really hit hard on “Let Us Go On This Way”.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 13, 2019, 01:12:36 PM »

YES Blondie would KILL Let Us Go On This Way !!!!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 13, 2019, 01:28:58 PM »

+1 from me too on Let Us Go On That Way. I can just hear Blondie spitting that out! Great idea. 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: September 13, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »

The video is up (with clips) and man it was special seeing everyone gathered around the piano Brian was playing doing In My Room.
Wish I’d have been there!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 13, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »

+1 from me too on Let Us Go On That Way. I can just hear Blondie spitting that out! Great idea. 

+2

Some Love You tracks simply have to happen!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: September 13, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2019-09-13/brian-wilson-greek-theatre-friends-68%3f_amp=true

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 13, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »

The video is up (with clips) and man it was special seeing everyone gathered around the piano Brian was playing doing In My Room.
Wish I’d have been there!

Where is the video?  Do you have a link?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: September 13, 2019, 05:03:42 PM »

It’s at the very end. Some nice clips

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AxHzXpmk-VU

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 13, 2019, 05:11:26 PM »

Shocked

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx