gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:55:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208873 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: August 29, 2019, 02:00:44 PM »

I often read that it is not the real beach boys who are touring today. Hum... who will try to make me believe that Brian's shows are really Brian's shows. He can't move, can't sing, the backing band does all the job. Brian is not here for the rehearsals, but in the shows, it's the same. So sad to watch his wife using him like a puppet. And some people love those shows...awfull! His personnal renditions are an offense to his great songs. He should really stay at home.
Some people are happy to watch those rehearsals. The fendertons do the same, but they don't try to make us believe that Brian is a part of this.
And believe me... I really love Brian Wilson, my heroe.
You can't say that around here, this is the group that believes Brian is in full control of his life, loves touring, and sounds as good as he ever has.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 29, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »

I often read that it is not the real beach boys who are touring today. Hum... who will try to make me believe that Brian's shows are really Brian's shows. He can't move, can't sing, the backing band does all the job. Brian is not here for the rehearsals, but in the shows, it's the same. So sad to watch his wife using him like a puppet. And some people love those shows...awfull! His personnal renditions are an offense to his great songs. He should really stay at home.
Some people are happy to watch those rehearsals. The fendertons do the same, but they don't try to make us believe that Brian is a part of this.
You can't say that around here, this is the group that believes Brian is in full control of his life, loves touring, and sounds as good as he ever has.

No this is the group that has replied to you multiple times challenging your opinion but you have nothing to retort with.

*edit, just want to add that I am still waiting for a reply from you Lonely Summer, from what is probably the 5th or 6th time I have responded to your accusations about Melinda, Brian, the band, etc.

Again I'll suggest to the leadership here that if slanderous accusations continue to be thrown at Melinda (with zero evidence and no rational dialogue/discussion after the accusations have been made) that these people are banned for the good of the forum. It's getting tiresome to read the slander.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 03:13:30 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: August 29, 2019, 03:13:57 PM »

I'll no doubt cause a commotion by saying this, but Brian can't do it anymore, when it comes to performing live. Saying his wife is using him as a puppet is a bit uncalled for, but everybody just turning their head and blindly telling Brian he's doing great is doing a disservice to him and his legacy. A lot of people are saying that he wants to tour and be active. If that's true, then it's great that Brian still wants to be active. But he needs to be told(gently) that he's not able to perform up to his regular high standards anymore.

That’s fair. I personally wish he’d just be working in the studio.  But..if he wants  to be touring then by God let him. I don’t think others are telling him that he’s doing better than ever or anything like that, just being supportive. Don’t think for a moment he’s not aware that he’s struggling. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s wearing on him emotionally. Has to be. I know of a certain singer who also deals with mental illness known for her (formerly) beautiful high notes that she can’t hit anymore due to getting older and previous indiscretions when she was younger, and her loss of ability has been one of (not the primary but a big part) contributing factors to her worsening mental state.  People talk, which increases anxiety, which leads to worse performances, and repeats the cycle. So yes, someone as sensitive AND perfectionist as Brian Knows full well he’s not at the level of a few years ago.  But, he also knows it’s far better than the alternative, and keeps pushing himself.

I myself since my second stroke at not what i used to be. I can no longer play bass or keyboards, and am incapable of finishing a song by myself. My short term memory is sh*t, and is getting worse.  I have a slight speech impediment. My seizures have gotten to the point where I won’t be able to drive much longer. My health is declining exponentially and there will come a time where I will be unable to work. But I fight like hell every day because if I don’t well...I’m not going to finish that sentence.

So if Brian feels like pushing himself to the limit is what’s best for him, then I fully support that. There will come a time when he won’t be here for us to discuss in the present-tense (happens to us all) . We should be grateful that he’s with us and doing the best he can (never mind the fact he’s dealing with Nick’s passing which you know has to be hard).
You make some good points. I guess Brian pushing himself is good for him mentally and emotionally. But I wonder if all the touring is making his back worse. Hopefully upcoming shows with a different set list might engage him. I do think he might be at his best working in the studio though.

I’m no expert but am a firm believer in the ‘use it or lose it’ motto. Being active on the road is possibly better back therapy than the temptation to just sit around home.
On the other stuff? When Ray Lawlor says he Brian is being taken advantage of, then I’ll believe it.

Good point. I can’t imagine staying home watching tv all day would be very helpful and I think Brian realizes this.

You know what too? The few clips online from the last show he did was a million times better than the first show. That’s to be expected considering it was a) just first show back  and b)Nick.  

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: August 29, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »

Who here has said he sounds as good as he ever has? Nobody’s saying that. I’m saying to cut the man a break, for f***’s sake. If you’re going to diss the members of a board of which you’re a part of like you aren’t, at least get your facts straight.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 29, 2019, 03:38:03 PM »

Ok. Brian always hated to play concerts, but now, after decades, he became a real showman. People are happy to watch him holding a bass without playing it for the encore. Brian's place is in the studio, like Mike's place is on the stage. I don't expect Mike doing tomorrow an album like pet sounds, like I'll never expect Brian doing a real showman performance live.  Watching Brian in front of us on stage, is a great emotional moment, but artisticaly, it's awful! his band is very good. That's all. He should stay in the studio.
Well I won't post anymore here. To much fanatism and hate. It seems it's more like a sect where you have to say that even Brian's defections smell good.  It's only music, and we all love the same band. Brian Wilson is a Genius, what he did when he was young is unique. But NOW, his performances are Horrible. Bye.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 29, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »

Ok. Brian always hated to play concerts, but now, after decades, he became a real showman. People are happy to watch him holding a bass without playing it for the encore. Brian's place is in the studio, like Mike's place is on the stage. I don't expect Mike doing tomorrow an album like pet sounds, like I'll never expect Brian doing a real showman performance live.  Watching Brian in front of us on stage, is a great emotional moment, but artisticaly, it's awful! his band is very good. That's all. He should stay in the studio.
Well I won't post anymore here. To much fanatism and hate. It seems it's more like a sect where you have to say that even Brian's defections smell good.  It's only music, and we all love the same band. Brian Wilson is a Genius, what he did when he was young is unique. But NOW, his performances are Horrible. Bye.

Ahh so challenging the idea that Melinda Wilson is a psychotic who is using Brian for financial gain is too much fanaticism and hate? I mean, how do you think Melinda Wilson feels when she reads this forum and sees that some people view her as a manipulative Landy-II who is using Brian? I mean, logically how much money do you think Brian and Melinda are pulling in from these Pet Sounds shows in order for it to be worth it to Melinda to puppet Brian on strings in front of thousands of people every week?

Totally fine with anyone having an opinion about the music and performances at Brian's shows, but I don't see how you can think there is nothing wrong with basically slenderizing someone who has done nothing but help Brian for the last 30 years.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 29, 2019, 04:07:06 PM »

My wife also makes me go to work for my own betterment and to make some money. I guess I am being manipulated and controlled too. Help me somebody. Please!  Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: August 29, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »

Ok. Brian always hated to play concerts, but now, after decades, he became a real showman. People are happy to watch him holding a bass without playing it for the encore. Brian's place is in the studio, like Mike's place is on the stage. I don't expect Mike doing tomorrow an album like pet sounds, like I'll never expect Brian doing a real showman performance live.  Watching Brian in front of us on stage, is a great emotional moment, but artisticaly, it's awful! his band is very good. That's all. He should stay in the studio.
Well I won't post anymore here. To much fanatism and hate. It seems it's more like a sect where you have to say that even Brian's defections smell good.  It's only music, and we all love the same band. Brian Wilson is a Genius, what he did when he was young is unique. But NOW, his performances are Horrible. Bye.

Ahh so challenging the idea that Melinda Wilson is a psychotic who is using Brian for financial gain is too much fanaticism and hate? I mean, how do you think Melinda Wilson feels when she reads this forum and sees that some people view her as a manipulative Landy-II who is using Brian? I mean, logically how much money do you think Brian and Melinda are pulling in from these Pet Sounds shows in order for it to be worth it to Melinda to puppet Brian on strings in front of thousands of people every week?

Totally fine with anyone having an opinion about the music and performances at Brian's shows, but I don't see how you can think there is nothing wrong with basically slenderizing someone who has done nothing but help Brian for the last 30 years.

Exactly!  That’s completely different from saying that Brian really shouldn’t be on the road anymore. I can respect that. As I said earlier I’d rather see him working in the studio at this stage of the game. But saying that Melinda is forcing him to do it is not only libel, it’s erroneous. That’s what I have an extreme issue with. But don’t twist around our words. That’s total bullshit

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: August 29, 2019, 04:13:08 PM »

My wife also makes me go to work for my own betterment and to make some money. I guess I am being manipulated and controlled too. Help me somebody. Please!  Grin

Oh no...you mean you make money but still come home tired?! Dear God that’s some monkey’s paw sh*t right there! Someone go fetch Barbara Walters

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 29, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »

Yeah!......And I don’t have co-workers apparently. They’re now known as ‘enablers’.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 29, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »

Is this Sheriff John Stone?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 29, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »

Yes, Brian has definitely lost many steps in recent years. I don’t think anyone would deny that.

But to say that he has never in his 20 years of touring ever given good to great performances? That’s crazy talk only said by people who have never seen him when he and the BW Band were at their best. That was the reason why I posted those YouTube videos in the first place.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 29, 2019, 07:55:43 PM »

No this is the group that has replied to you multiple times challenging your opinion but you have nothing to retort with.

*edit, just want to add that I am still waiting for a reply from you Lonely Summer, from what is probably the 5th or 6th time I have responded to your accusations about Melinda, Brian, the band, etc.

Again I'll suggest to the leadership here that if slanderous accusations continue to be thrown at Melinda (with zero evidence and no rational dialogue/discussion after the accusations have been made) that these people are banned for the good of the forum. It's getting tiresome to read the slander.

I'll gladly 2nd and 3rd that Rab. Let's be done with this idiotic line of weak thinking for good!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 29, 2019, 10:21:20 PM »

I'd like to know what David Leaf thinks of Brian's live performances in the last 3 or 4 years - this was the guy who chastised the Beach Boys family for parading Brian around onstage in the late 70's like he was a circus animal. In Leaf's view, it didn't matter to the BB's and the family that Brian just sat frozen onstage behind his grand piano most of the time; people wanted to see Brian, so, here he is...even if most of the time he looks like he would rather be ANYWHERE but on that stage in front of all those people. But somehow, in 2019, that is not an issue, because Brian repeatedly tells the press that he loves touring.
If I believed every word that comes out of Brian's mouth, then i'd also have to believe him everytime he told a reporter that Gene Landy saved his life, that he had not been brainwashed by Landy, that he was a willing participant in the Landy program.
Well, maybe the guy has a really good poker face, maybe he does love being on stage and everything else that goes with touring. If that's the case, then I wish him well. Maybe he just feels responsible for keeping his band employed.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 30, 2019, 01:11:13 AM »

Rab's passion posts in this thread jump to conclusions that are nearly as outlandish as calling Brian a puppet, yet because they are so over the top pro-Brian, he gets a bunch of high fives. 

That is why nobody is engaging with your posts.  *shrug*
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 30, 2019, 01:49:00 AM »

Rab's passion posts in this thread jump to conclusions that are nearly as outlandish as calling Brian a puppet, yet because they are so over the top pro-Brian, he gets a bunch of high fives.  

That is why nobody is engaging with your posts.  *shrug*

Thanks for the reply and being honest about my posts. I ask the following honestly: if I am being outlandish (and perhaps I am because I am responding to outlandish statements), what about my posts jumps to outlandish conclusions?

I honestly ask this, because I fully admit that my vision may be clouded by years of reading overly negative things about Brian and also being duped myself (many years back) into thinking that Brian was supposedly a vegetable who had no ability to think for himself. And, if I am jumping to outlandish conclusions, again it is perhaps in response to responding to a very outlandish accusation.

As for being over-the-top pro Brian, perhaps I am over-the-top. Perhaps I respond to the negativity by swinging the pendulum too far back in the other direction. Just like Lonely Summer's posts probably make perfect sense to him, my posts make perfect sense to me. I am willing to be proven wrong about my positive outlook on Brian and am willing to be proven wrong about my outlook on his current touring situation. I wish, even if I am being over-the-top or outlandish, that some discourse would occur between my perspective and Lonely Summer's...at the very least so a conclusion can be drawn one way or the other so we don't have to read about Melinda being a puppeteer or read my responses to those posts.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:10:36 AM by rab2591 » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 30, 2019, 01:51:37 AM »

I'd like to know what David Leaf thinks of Brian's live performances in the last 3 or 4 years - this was the guy who chastised the Beach Boys family for parading Brian around onstage in the late 70's like he was a circus animal. In Leaf's view, it didn't matter to the BB's and the family that Brian just sat frozen onstage behind his grand piano most of the time; people wanted to see Brian, so, here he is...even if most of the time he looks like he would rather be ANYWHERE but on that stage in front of all those people. But somehow, in 2019, that is not an issue, because Brian repeatedly tells the press that he loves touring.
If I believed every word that comes out of Brian's mouth, then i'd also have to believe him everytime he told a reporter that Gene Landy saved his life, that he had not been brainwashed by Landy, that he was a willing participant in the Landy program.
Well, maybe the guy has a really good poker face, maybe he does love being on stage and everything else that goes with touring. If that's the case, then I wish him well. Maybe he just feels responsible for keeping his band employed.

To try and not be outlandish about my point of view, wouldn't it make sense that if Brian were struggling immensely and not enjoying himself, that the people close to him (especially his family and those in the band who care about him) would publicly protest at how Brian is being paraded around?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:28:55 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 30, 2019, 02:30:11 AM »

I don't really wish to pick apart individual posts, but just one thing that jumped out to me - invoking the idea that if you believe Brian is being manipulated, it is a disrespecting of the deceased Nicky Wonder.  That is outlandish.  You're not totally wrong with all that you say nor is your passion a negative thing.  But nobody's going to interact with that type of over the top, loaded post. 
To reply to your most recent post I guess and give this discourse, isn't it really, really obvious to absolutely everybody in 2019 that at times Brian struggles immensely with what he does and at times he is not enjoying himself?  Also at the same time, that he is choosing to do what he is doing, for a variety of reasons that he finds important and valuable?  This is where the grey area is created, in which some people choose to (incorrectly, imo) question his situation. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 30, 2019, 03:06:00 AM »

I don't really wish to pick apart individual posts, but just one thing that jumped out to me - invoking the idea that if you believe Brian is being manipulated, it is a disrespecting of the deceased Nicky Wonder.  That is outlandish.

I admit I don't like using Nicky Wonder as a means of argument, however...Lonely Summer posted earlier this month: "Brian..well, I still doubt that he is in control of his own destiny. There's too many band members and family members counting on that paycheck." - making the assumption that the band sees Brian's struggles close up and are still willing to go along with Brian being controlled/manipulated (or they are doing the manipulation themselves) so they can keep the money flowing in.

I see that statement as a knock at every member of that band including Nicky Wonder. And I'm really not trying to be stubborn about this, but to claim that the band cares more about money than they do the health and well-being of Brian is disrespecting every member of that band, in my opinion. And I don't think that is a loaded opinion.

To reply to your most recent post I guess and give this discourse, isn't it really, really obvious to absolutely everybody in 2019 that at times Brian struggles immensely with what he does and at times he is not enjoying himself?  Also at the same time, that he is choosing to do what he is doing, for a variety of reasons that he finds important and valuable?  This is where the grey area is created, in which some people choose to (incorrectly, imo) question his situation.  

Absolutely. My grandmother struggled a lot in her latter years. She would struggle to get up and be active (for the sake of her health) and she would struggle with all the things that make getting older hard. However she struggled through it because she knew it was the best thing for her to do. Even while wincing with each step she knew that getting up and moving around was better for her than sitting in an armchair all day. She certainly looked like she wasn't enjoying herself at times, but in order to get the most out of life she continued on. I'm not trying to say that her situation is identical to Brian's, but as Billy, you, and others have said and alluded to above, there are probably logical reasons he is doing what he is doing right now...for the sake of his physical and mental health.

I honestly don't know if touring is the best thing for Brian, as a fan who lives 5,000+ miles away from him I don't really have a valid opinion about the matter. But I do trust that the UCLA doctors, family, and friends close to Brian know what is best for him, and would stop Brian from touring if it were jeopardizing his health and well-being in any way.

Thanks for your replies, and I appreciate the honesty. I fully admit I've taken some rather irrational viewpoints in the past, and am sometimes guilty of having tunnel vision when it comes to certain subjects. Sometimes you can get so locked into a point of view it's hard to see other perspectives - which is why discourse is a great thing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 03:06:52 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 30, 2019, 03:20:44 AM »

I don't really wish to pick apart individual posts, but just one thing that jumped out to me - invoking the idea that if you believe Brian is being manipulated, it is a disrespecting of the deceased Nicky Wonder.  That is outlandish. 

No, it’s not outlandish for rab to say that. Wondermints never would have taken that gig if Brian was being mistreated and manipulated against his will. Those guys have too much integrity to go along with a con job.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: August 30, 2019, 07:24:33 AM »

I recall reading a post on this very board describing a backstage scene in the early- or mid-2000s where David Leaf was observed yelling at Brian for his unwillingness to take the stage at a particular show. Was that hypocricy, or a case of Leaf finally realizing that going onstage was in Brian's best interest, despite how he felt at that particular moment?

As far as Landy saving Brian's life - he certainly did, just as Murry was responsible in many ways for the band's early success. Doesn't mean either of them was a good person and didn't also do despicable things to Brian, but it's the truth.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: August 30, 2019, 08:04:56 AM »

One of the problems occurring here, in my opinion, is that the few folks being very blunt and adamant that Brian’s shows are awful are simply pointing it out and not trying to engage in any conversation/analysis about it.

It’s like, what do you want anyone else to say when you burst in, say “Brian’s out of it! Game over man! Anybody who thinks he isn’t toast is delusional!” and then do a mic drop and walk away? Even if I agree with you, if there’s not any constructive nature to what you’re saying, and you’re just looking to barf out your statement and aren’t interesting in any back and forth, you just come across like a troll. *Especially* if you start trying to contend his shows have been awful since the beginning, as if a 2000 show is the same as a 2019 show.

Read my posts on the subject; I’m very much bummed about and quite realistic about the shortcomings of Brian’s shows of the last couple of years or so. I don’t think it’s wrong to ask some hard questions about it, and if one comes to the conclusion that they think Brian should probably stay off the road, that’s absolutely an understandable opinion. I’d even say that, while blunt, uninformed “Brian’s wife is making him do it!” histrionics are inappropriate, I don’t think it’s entirely out of line to wonder/show concern/be curious about whether there is a machine around Brian that is, if not “forcing” him to do anything, perhaps using some level of coercion or something along those lines. I’m saying only that *wondering* about that is understandable. It’s happened to Brian throughout his life. It’s not even exclusive to Brian. Any singer/musician of advanced age that keeps touring and displays a marked decline in performance quality usually tends to understandably elicit concerns from fans as to why and how they’re still out there. There are far worse extremes that seem much more heinous in the entertainment world (e.g. look at the last public events Stan Lee attended). But simply having concern about Brian is understandable.

But a few folks in this thread are just bursting into the room, blurting out their opinion (which involves sometimes serious accusations about Brian and/or those around him, and also tends to insult huge swaths of fans on this board), and then walking away.

There’s a constructive way to finally point out, with regret and sadness, that you don’t think Brian’s up to touring anymore. The inflammatory posts in this thread are not that sort of post.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:07:21 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: August 30, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »

There seems to be a lot of basic, fundamental misunderstandings in play here regarding not only the difference between opinion and fact and how these are directed at individuals, but also a wide disconnect regarding the overall situations regarding Brian Wilson as a person over the past several decades. Without going full in-depth on it right now, just consider a few points.

- Anyone can share their opinion on the quality or lack thereof of a Brian Wilson concert. In turn, anyone is free to rebut or offer a counter opinion in return. That's basic dialogue and debate. BUT when charges of Brian being used like a puppet, being kept drugged, being "forced" to tour, or in general being controlled by his wife and "handlers" are spoken publicly, and the facts do not back that up, it does border on slander. If something is not true, and proven not true, yet continues to be repeated, *that* is the issue which gets a lot of us upset.

We can talk about what and who is to blame for this. Let's just say a certain band member expressing this crap in public interviews over the last 6 years or so combined with some online folks who thought they were in a position of authority and "insider" status whispering this garbage for years to fans on the sly, and having it repeated by "fans" on various online outlets who never spent a minute with Brian Wilson which they didn't pay for (if they even did that) parroting and repeating that same nonsense for years has only fueled this nonsense.

So if people still believe that Brian is being controlled, doped up, forced to tour, lacking money and needing to tour, and in general as someone expressed here "a puppet" controlled by a domineering wife and handlers, just consider that your sources of info have a history of lying, distorting, and pushing personal grudges against the Wilsons and related interests and are simply not being honest.

The optimist in me says perhaps people repeating this garbage at this point in 2019 have simply been duped or misled into believing it because they've heard it repeated by people they think are credible.

Consider that these sources are not credible, consider that they have a history of lies and distortions fueled by personal grudges, and consider seeing the other side sourced from individuals who have actually spent more personal, non-scheduled time with Brian and Melinda Wilson than any of the so-called "insiders" have spent or will ever spend unless they pay for a VIP concert experience and get a minute to grab an autograph.

Word of advice: Consider the sources and the history behind those sources before believing this stuff about Brian being a "puppet" who is controlled. And feel free to ask questions as well before believing these sources who make such claims in spite of the facts.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:56:37 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 30, 2019, 09:22:33 AM »

Thanks for your thoughtful posts, Rab! You've brought up good points and questions.

Non-English speakers' tone and statements can be harsher than expected, as we have definitely found out on this board. The OP certainly has a lot of love for Brian, and maybe it is helpful to keep that in mind when they make a statement like "using him like a puppet". I agree, in English that's very bad. But, you can also just decide to give them the benefit of the doubt and not consider it board-bannable slander. Smiley

On the other hand, it is hilarious when the guy who has spent tens of thousands of hours graffiti-ing Mike Love hatred all around the internet is so quick to support an internet ban due to slander.

It would help all of us to remember that only a small minority of the detractors actually think that there is a group conspiracy to mine resources out of Brian. It could be that Brian is, after all these years, actually doing what he wants, but he also knows that lots of people are relying on him (and keeping him going) and as such he is choosing to "take one for the team" sometimes. Given his history and the grand scale of his touring machine that can appear nefarious from certain outside perspectives. Just food for thought.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 30, 2019, 10:19:58 AM »

The most important, and complicated as hell, part of this situation is Brian's mental and psychological well being. Look, I've got a 90 degree curvature in my back from scoliosis, and it's to the point that I'm having(relatively minor) respiratory issues. I am always in some kind of physical pain. I literally don't remember my early life of being 100% totally pain free(around 0-9-ish years old). There are some days where I just want to say "f*** it", and just cash it in. Now, keep in mind that all my pain is physical. I have no major mental or emotional issues. Now, if somebody who is  of relatively sound mind, such as myself* has moments of extremely dark and hopeless thoughts, consider what it may be like for Brian, who fights audio and visual hallucinations on a daily basis. Now, let's compound that with all the severe physical pain of several operations(that have evidently failed), and the anguish of therapy. If I myself ever seen to be "outlandish" or over the top with my opinions, it is only because I truly love Brian Wilson with all my heart and soul, despite having never met the man. All I'm trying to say is; mental and emotional issues are often the "silent illness". I don't think Melinda or anybody is forcing Brian to do anything. But I do strongly suspect that certain people(hell, maybe Brian himself) may not be fully understand and appreciating the delicate nature of Brian's situation. Mental health isn't something you can "fix" in a few weeks or months.

*That's kind of a trick statement. I am indeed nuttier than a fruitcake and will the first to admit it.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:23:00 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx