gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:09:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208832 times)
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 29, 2019, 01:30:54 AM »

I often read that it is not the real beach boys who are touring today. Hum... who will try to make me believe that Brian's shows are really Brian's shows. He can't move, can't sing, the backing band does all the job. Brian is not here for the rehearsals, but in the shows, it's the same. So sad to watch his wife using him like a puppet. And some people love those shows...awfull! His personnal renditions are an offense to his great songs. He should really stay at home.
Some people are happy to watch those rehearsals. The fendertons do the same, but they don't try to make us believe that Brian is a part of this.
And believe me... I really love Brian Wilson, my heroe.

After posting this, how can this mustomax say he loves Brian Wilson and that he's his heroE Huh Huh Looks fairly contradictory to me.  Roll Eyes

Watching a guy who have nothing to do on a stage is a love proof. Sure... "this mustomax" really doesn't care what a guy like you can think.  If you're happy to see Brian on a wheel chair behind a piano not able to play or to sing that's good for you. If you like the show posted on youtube 2 monthes ago watch it again and again. I stopped aftet 15 minutes. It made me cry..
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 29, 2019, 02:02:34 AM »

I often read that it is not the real beach boys who are touring today. Hum... who will try to make me believe that Brian's shows are really Brian's shows. He can't move, can't sing, the backing band does all the job. Brian is not here for the rehearsals, but in the shows, it's the same. So sad to watch his wife using him like a puppet. And some people love those shows...awfull! His personnal renditions are an offense to his great songs. He should really stay at home.
Some people are happy to watch those rehearsals. The fendertons do the same, but they don't try to make us believe that Brian is a part of this.

After posting this, how can this mustomax say he loves Brian Wilson and that he's his heroE Huh Huh Looks fairly contradictory to me.  Roll Eyes

If it's a pleasure for you to watch this : https://youtu.be/wKEibZqSCFU
Watch it... for me, it's a nightmare! And you kow, I think Brian IS the heroe of EVERY Beach Boys fan. The difference between you and me, it's I don't need to put Mike down every 5 minutes to be sure that Brian is the best of the best of all time.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 29, 2019, 05:15:38 AM »

That show

Watch it... for me, it's a nightmare! And you kow, I think Brian IS the heroe of EVERY Beach Boys fan. The difference between you and me, it's I don't need to put Mike down every 5 minutes to be sure that Brian is the best of the best of all time.

Mustomax, try this show from 2004, instead.

https://youtu.be/5EZ88zY6wPM

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 29, 2019, 05:19:37 AM »

Or better yet, this.

https://youtu.be/FKOLPUUvq_I

Adds some 🎼 to your day
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 29, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »

That show

Mustomax, try this show from 2004, instead.

https://youtu.be/5EZ88zY6wPM

But I'm not speaking of 2004! I saw a lot if Brian' shows. The last one was in 2017 and it was hard to see. Blondie and Al saved the show. (Sorry I think Matt is not goid at all anymore...).  But Brian couldn't follow the melody with th words. Like an elocution problem... so sad!
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 29, 2019, 06:12:52 AM »

Or better yet, this.

https://youtu.be/FKOLPUUvq_I

It was 18 years ago! I'm sure you kow the difference with his present shows.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 29, 2019, 06:56:48 AM »

I see both perspectives on this... Brian is wonderful and we are lucky he is still performing with his fantastic band... AND looking at clips like the above referenced one from May 2019 is pretty depressing because he is appearing really worn and isn't performing at a comparatively high level.  (and nobody really expects him to at his current stage)

To be honest, I don't know why they haven't done this already... but the solution to all of this is to have Al double all or nearly all of Brian's lead parts.  It is helpful from a quality perspective, and it also maintains a certain level of authenticity that is really important to the BW live band.  It would be kinda Everlyish, which is cool and innovative in ways that us fans would appreciate at this point in their careers.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 29, 2019, 08:01:44 AM »

Hey Musto, we all get older but do we want others whispering behind our collective backs that he/she should do this or that or retire to an easy chair because he may need a wheelchair?? Hell no!! And, yes, plenty of us are going to end up in one but that doesn't mean we stop doing what we need to or love to do. Quit being an armchair quarterback for Brian. He doesn't need your pity. And Mike? He gets what he gives.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: August 29, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »

I think allowing for criticism is certainly important, and there's no question that recent Brian shows/tours have him struggling.

But the rather dismissive/trollish tone (whether intended or not) of the poster in question (not just deriding Brian's shows, but invoking the "Brian's wife" stuff, plus defending Mike's band even though Mike's band wasn't brought up, and then also a dig on Matt Jardine) isn't really the most constructive way to do so.

Back on track/topic, I'd say that while having Al (and/or others) double (or replace) every Brian lead would raise the ire of concertgoers and reviewers/critics to some degree (e.g. "Brian barely sings on stage anymore!"), it might well be preferable to having him struggle so much on some of his leads.

I did just recently check out the most recent show, the 8/13 show, on YouTube. And while I still think Brian is struggling excessively, I will say on some of the stuff I heard he *did* sound noticeably better (not *hugely*, but enough to take notice) on some of the hits. So I think, just purely vocally, there's still room to have Brian take some leads on that sort of stuff.

I'd be happy to see Brian semi-retire and relax at home, maybe work on some studio material, maybe help to curate some vault material, and then maybe step out for a show here or there, and then see Al/Matt/Darian/Blondie continue on with the band. But that just isn't possible; they won't get bookings of this magnitude without Brian, and therefore could not afford all those musicians. I think Al/Matt/Blondie could maybe try really hard to book a scaled-back tour with fewer musicians (perhaps just Darian, Probyn, and a few others), maybe add David Marks in the mix to make it more enticing. Anything is possible. I'm not trying to squeeze Brian out of the picture of course.

I think doing over a month of shows coming up here in a few days will help to get a better feel for where Brian's at.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 29, 2019, 08:07:41 AM »

I see both perspectives on this... Brian is wonderful and we are lucky he is still performing with his fantastic band... AND looking at clips like the above referenced one from May 2019 is pretty depressing because he is appearing really worn and isn't performing at a comparatively high level.  (and nobody really expects him to at his current stage)

To be honest, I don't know why they haven't done this already... but the solution to all of this is to have Al double all or nearly all of Brian's lead parts.  It is helpful from a quality perspective, and it also maintains a certain level of authenticity that is really important to the BW live band.  It would be kinda Everlyish, which is cool and innovative in ways that us fans would appreciate at this point in their careers.

Kind of like what Jeff used to do?

Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: August 29, 2019, 08:09:17 AM »

I am curious if they're going to have Brian do "Busy Doin' Nothin'" on this tour. It makes sense in that Wake the World/Busy Doin' Nothin' was a combo in the setlist only a few years ago. But I also recall a band member supposedly indicating that Brian didn't like doing the super-verbose songs on stage anymore (e.g. "Busy..." and "Surf's Up"). Considering how Brian is struggling with phrasing on PS material, I'm curious how much he's going to be into going back to "Busy Doin' Nothin'" again. I think Matt ends up taking on most of "Surf's Up", so that would seem a bit easier to integrate again.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: August 29, 2019, 08:12:16 AM »

Kind of like what Jeff used to do?

While Jeff (and others in the band) certainly double Brian's leads in certain cases, it's not like a show in 2000 had Jeff doubling all of Brian's leads. Having seen 15 or however many shows over all those years, there were specific songs Jeff doubled Brian on (e.g. "The Little Girl I Once Knew"), other random cases where Jeff or someone would just pick up the lead on fragments of songs when Brian wasn't singing for whatever reason, and then it was in later years that they started actually handing full leads off to Darian or Jeff. But listen to "Live at the Roxy" or other shows from that era. For better or worse, most of the Brian leads were him hanging out there all by himself. I love "This Whole World" and felt like Brian was never able to get that one down well enough (by 2015 they finally just handed that lead over to Darian).

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: August 29, 2019, 08:44:31 AM »

There’s one thing to say Brian shouldn’t be touring. It’s another thing to say his wife is using him as a puppet. THAT is what I have a major issue with. Unless you have actual, literal proof that would hold up in court, that is an extremely slippery slope to be standing on. Just saying.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 29, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »

I don't recall seeing that offhand so I'll ask - when Jeff would double Brian, would it be a falsetto double, or would it be more of a 2 part harmony-type thing?  
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: August 29, 2019, 08:57:25 AM »

Depends on the song. I noticed towards the end Brian would try to hit the high parts but Jeff would drown him out...and Brian would look visibly irritated.  Hell a lot of times Brian would be in perfect tune but Jeff would throw him off.

Never felt they blended well together

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 29, 2019, 09:29:16 AM »

There’s one thing to say Brian shouldn’t be touring. It’s another thing to say his wife is using him as a puppet. THAT is what I have a major issue with. Unless you have actual, literal proof that would hold up in court, that is an extremely slippery slope to be standing on. Just saying.

EXACTLY.

If you don't like how Brian sounds on stage, it's very simple: don't go to his shows. By "fans" claiming that Brian is being puppeted you are disrespecting every band member, roadie, audio person, light person, managers, etc who work with Brian and his band every day of touring. You are disrespecting Brian's family, close friends, and acquaintances who communicate with Brian daily and hear how he personally is feeling about things. You are basically saying that if things were Landy-like (puppeting) and Brian's mental and physical health are being jeopardized by his touring that no one around him has the heart to stop this atrocity. You are stating that the people who work around him daily don't have the heart or balls to stop Brian from being used. Might I say, you are disrespecting someone as kind hearted and wonderful as Nicky Wonder himself...seriously, think about what you're accusation implies....because at the point you're accusing Melinda of being a sociopath (by controlling a mentally ill human being for monetary gain) you're accusing everyone around him who can see the situation better than ANY OF US as accomplices.

Don't equate your perception of Brian's mental health on how you rate his voice during parts of his concerts. The man is nearly 80 years old ffs. Apply the smallest dose of logic to this...it's not like Melinda and Brian (or Darian and the band) are making millions of dollars from this touring gig. As my post on the last page (which always gets ignored) says, Brian's net worth is almost $80 million - I don't think for a second that Melinda needs Brian picking up the loose change that these concerts make.

Might I say that for the sake (and legacy) of someone like Nicky Wonder that this talk of Brian being a puppet for the band or Melinda gets these posters automatically booted from this board. I'm tired of reading this sh*t that implies everyone around Brian is a heartless monster. Yes, this post is aimed at Lonely Summer and Mustomax. And don't try to convince me that posters from this forum know any better than everyone in and around Brian's band.

I currently see why some don't dig Brian's current shows, and more power to you guys. But this nonsense about Melinda being a puppeteer really needs to end. I get that misinformation was spread throughout the back channels of the forums (and probably still is) about Melinda. But do some damn research people, do some thinking for yourself. Mull over every perspective and then see if your theories still match up to anything resembling reality. And, Mustomax and Lonely Summer, when your perspective is challenged, don't prove yourself a troll and skitter away, try to bring facts and ideas to the table that actually hold up. If you can't then stop with the nonsense.

Don't tarnish the legacy of good people with your crackpot theories.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 29, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »

I'll no doubt cause a commotion by saying this, but Brian can't do it anymore, when it comes to performing live. Saying his wife is using him as a puppet is a bit uncalled for, but everybody just turning their head and blindly telling Brian he's doing great is doing a disservice to him and his legacy. A lot of people are saying that he wants to tour and be active. If that's true, then it's great that Brian still wants to be active. But he needs to be told(gently) that he's not able to perform up to his regular high standards anymore.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 29, 2019, 10:37:56 AM »

I'll no doubt cause a commotion by saying this, but Brian can't do it anymore, when it comes to performing live. Saying his wife is using him as a puppet is a bit uncalled for, but everybody just turning their head and blindly telling Brian he's doing great is doing a disservice to him and his legacy. A lot of people are saying that he wants to tour and be active. If that's true, then it's great that Brian still wants to be active. But he needs to be told(gently) that he's not able to perform up to his regular high standards anymore.

The man's "high standard" has constantly changed - like on a yearly basis since he was performing in the 60s - his voice went from angelic, to horrible, to better, to shouty, to good, to terrible, back to near angelic, back to shouty. Here's what I think: let the market decide for itself. It's, thankfully, not left up to the opinion of those on message boards (otherwise Brian would've hung it up years ago and we wouldn't have the good memories from recent years) - it is up to the people who pay money from their pockets night after night who go see the guy.

Put it this way Jay: let's say your father is an artist, he is still selling art but it isn't up to his peak standards of when he created art when he was younger. He is nearly 80 years old, but he is still selling pieces and it's giving him a reason to get out of bed every morning. He isn't harming anyone, and he is making a lot of people happy, even if his art isn't up to high standards anymore. Would anyone have the right to tell that man that he shouldn't make art anymore just because it wasn't up to the standards he made when he was younger?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:46:39 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: August 29, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »

That’s fair. I personally wish he’d just be working in the studio.  But..if he wants  to be touring then by God let him. I don’t think others are telling him that he’s doing better than ever or anything like that, just being supportive. Don’t think for a moment he’s not aware that he’s struggling. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s wearing on him emotionally. Has to be. I know of a certain singer who also deals with mental illness known for her (formerly) beautiful high notes that she can’t hit anymore due to getting older and previous indiscretions when she was younger, and her loss of ability has been one of (not the primary but a big part) contributing factors to her worsening mental state.  People talk, which increases anxiety, which leads to worse performances, and repeats the cycle. So yes, someone as sensitive AND perfectionist as Brian Knows full well he’s not at the level of a few years ago.  But, he also knows it’s far better than the alternative, and keeps pushing himself.

I myself since my second stroke at not what i used to be. I can no longer play bass or keyboards, and am incapable of finishing a song by myself. My short term memory is sh*t, and is getting worse.  I have a slight speech impediment. My seizures have gotten to the point where I won’t be able to drive much longer. My health is declining exponentially and there will come a time where I will be unable to work. But I fight like hell every day because if I don’t well...I’m not going to finish that sentence.

So if Brian feels like pushing himself to the limit is what’s best for him, then I fully support that. There will come a time when he won’t be here for us to discuss in the present-tense (happens to us all) . We should be grateful that he’s with us and doing the best he can (never mind the fact he’s dealing with Nick’s passing which you know has to be hard).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:56:03 AM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 29, 2019, 11:34:47 AM »

Great posts, Rab and Billy. Well said.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 29, 2019, 11:46:21 AM »

That’s fair. I personally wish he’d just be working in the studio.  But..if he wants  to be touring then by God let him. I don’t think others are telling him that he’s doing better than ever or anything like that, just being supportive. Don’t think for a moment he’s not aware that he’s struggling. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s wearing on him emotionally. Has to be. I know of a certain singer who also deals with mental illness known for her (formerly) beautiful high notes that she can’t hit anymore due to getting older and previous indiscretions when she was younger, and her loss of ability has been one of (not the primary but a big part) contributing factors to her worsening mental state.  People talk, which increases anxiety, which leads to worse performances, and repeats the cycle. So yes, someone as sensitive AND perfectionist as Brian Knows full well he’s not at the level of a few years ago.  But, he also knows it’s far better than the alternative, and keeps pushing himself.

I myself since my second stroke at not what i used to be. I can no longer play bass or keyboards, and am incapable of finishing a song by myself. My short term memory is sh*t, and is getting worse.  I have a slight speech impediment. My seizures have gotten to the point where I won’t be able to drive much longer. My health is declining exponentially and there will come a time where I will be unable to work. But I fight like hell every day because if I don’t well...I’m not going to finish that sentence.

So if Brian feels like pushing himself to the limit is what’s best for him, then I fully support that. There will come a time when he won’t be here for us to discuss in the present-tense (happens to us all) . We should be grateful that he’s with us and doing the best he can (never mind the fact he’s dealing with Nick’s passing which you know has to be hard).
You make some good points. I guess Brian pushing himself is good for him mentally and emotionally. But I wonder if all the touring is making his back worse. Hopefully upcoming shows with a different set list might engage him. I do think he might be at his best working in the studio though.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: August 29, 2019, 12:11:26 PM »

I agree . Besides... I want to hear new Brian music

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 29, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »

Hang in there, Billy. Sending much love.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: August 29, 2019, 01:12:03 PM »

Thank you kindly

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 29, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »

You make some good points. I guess Brian pushing himself is good for him mentally and emotionally. But I wonder if all the touring is making his back worse. Hopefully upcoming shows with a different set list might engage him. I do think he might be at his best working in the studio though.

I’m no expert but am a firm believer in the ‘use it or lose it’ motto. Being active on the road is possibly better back therapy than the temptation to just sit around home.
On the other stuff? When Ray Lawlor says he Brian is being taken advantage of, then I’ll believe it.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx