gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:44:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208850 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »

Does anyone know why he isn't ending the show with Love and Mercy anymore?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »

Does anyone know why he isn't ending the show with Love and Mercy anymore?

Too many fans were saying "it's just not right without Mike and Bruce" ?

LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 15, 2019, 02:29:00 PM »

Folks, for those curious about the shareholders of BRI and the nature of the "Beach Boys" license agreement, there's a ton of relevant info in this 2003 court decision:

BROTHER RECORDS INC v. JARDINE
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-circuit/1213400.html
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »

I think things are best the way they are now. The Beach Boys of history will always be Brian, Mike, Dennis, Carl and Al; and to varying degrees, David, Bruce, Blondie, Ricky..did I leave anyone out? Glen Campbell? Daryl Dragon? Billy Hinsche? The Beach Boys today are Mike's band. I will go see them next month and i'm sure i'll have a great time, but it can't compare to seeing some variation of the classic lineup in (or near) their prime.
Over the years, I've seen a lot of complaining about the shows the group did in the 80s and 90s with all the surfing and car songs, the cheerleaders, etc; but I am thankful I got to see the group a couple times when Dennis was alive; and many, many times with Carl singing and playing.
The only thing that could make a 2019 show by either Mike's BB's or Brian and Al's group as magical as those shows I saw 30 years ago is if Carl and Dennis could be brought back from the dead.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »

From the show on my birthday

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pcS76uMbGlA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOv37hWXYxE
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:14:24 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »

A belated Happy Birthday, Billy!! 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2019, 10:10:28 PM »

Thank you much! I’m not a young 41 sadly but glad to still be here . That hasn’t been a given especially lately so it certainly is s blessing

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2019, 10:33:09 PM »

Thank you much! I’m not a young 41 sadly but glad to still be here . That hasn’t been a given especially lately so it certainly is s blessing

Happy belated birthday and thanks for being such a cool moderator ☺
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:47 PM »

Thank you kindly!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 16, 2019, 02:40:39 AM »

Happy belated birthday and thanks for being such a cool moderator ☺

Plus 1 🍰
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 16, 2019, 06:28:52 AM »

I think things are best the way they are now. The Beach Boys of history will always be Brian, Mike, Dennis, Carl and Al; and to varying degrees, David, Bruce, Blondie, Ricky..did I leave anyone out? Glen Campbell? Daryl Dragon? Billy Hinsche? The Beach Boys today are Mike's band. I will go see them next month and i'm sure i'll have a great time, but it can't compare to seeing some variation of the classic lineup in (or near) their prime.
Over the years, I've seen a lot of complaining about the shows the group did in the 80s and 90s with all the surfing and car songs, the cheerleaders, etc; but I am thankful I got to see the group a couple times when Dennis was alive; and many, many times with Carl singing and playing.
The only thing that could make a 2019 show by either Mike's BB's or Brian and Al's group as magical as those shows I saw 30 years ago is if Carl and Dennis could be brought back from the dead.

Nice post. Sounds like you are a real fan.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 16, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »

edit - nevermind
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:46:53 PM by roffels » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 16, 2019, 10:19:57 PM »

Nice post. Sounds like you are a real fan.
Yes, i'm thankful I got to see the band many times in the 80s/90s. I never saw them do a bad show. In fact, back in 1987, I saw both the Beach Boys and the Monkees at the same fair, a week apart, and the Monkees show was the one that got all the pre-show hype, all the write ups in the paper. In terms of crowd response, though, the Beach Boys had the more enthusiastic audience. I ...think to the press, it was "oh, ho-hum, another Beach Boys concert, they've been together since God created water"; while the Monkees were in the middle of a reunion many people thought would never happen. And don't get me wrong, I love the Monkees, but it's hard to top the great catalog of songs the Beach Boys have to sing from night after night. Those songs and those voices always got us on our feet! It was a party!
Will be interesting to see how the current band does, even though some of us are much older now, with creaky knees, graying or balding heads, lol.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 19, 2019, 09:43:00 PM »

Murphy's, California September 14th, is cancelled...scheduling conflict.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: August 20, 2019, 06:53:30 AM »

Murphy's, California September 14th, is cancelled...scheduling conflict.

The venue's Facebook page does indeed mention this is canceled. I've removed it from the top post schedule. Curious whose "change in scheduling" it is.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: August 28, 2019, 06:37:07 AM »

Paul Mertens posted a bit of Brian's "Friends" tour rehearsals. Interestingly, it shows both Rob Bonfiglio (currently a fill-in in Mike's band) and Randell Kirsch.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.vonmertens/posts/2102206849891451

Kirsch is playing guitar in the clip, so I'm wondering if Randell Kirsch is a temporary (or permanent?) new guitarist in Brian's band. Even if he's just sitting on this upcoming tour, it would make Kirsch one of the only people (perhaps *the* only?) who have played separately, post-1998, with Mike's band, Al's band, and Brian's band. I'm trying to think of someone else who has done that. Maybe Gary Griffin? I don't think Griffin was ever a regular in Al or Mike's band post-1998, but he may have done gigs with both. Some of the other ex-Mike guys like Bardowell and Farmer have played with both Mike and Al, but not Brian. Did Billy Hinsche ever play full gigs with Mike's band (not counting sitting in for a song or two)?

I'm also wondering if maybe Bonfiglio and Kirsch are going to rotate in and out as replacements in Brian's band. I know in the past we've seen cases where, say, three or four keyboard guys rehearse ahead of time with the knowledge that they'll be rotating in and out (e.g. Darian, Gary, and Billy all rehearsing even though they're not all in the show at the same time).

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:37:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 28, 2019, 07:16:31 AM »

Live "Friends", nice! Love it!

mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 28, 2019, 12:03:58 PM »

I often read that it is not the real beach boys who are touring today. Hum... who will try to make me believe that Brian's shows are really Brian's shows. He can't move, can't sing, the backing band does all the job. Brian is not here for the rehearsals, but in the shows, it's the same. So sad to watch his wife using him like a puppet. And some people love those shows...awfull! His personnal renditions are an offense to his great songs. He should really stay at home.
Some people are happy to watch those rehearsals. The fendertons do the same, but they don't try to make us believe that Brian is a part of this.
And believe me... I really love Brian Wilson, my heroe.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: August 28, 2019, 12:26:19 PM »

So sad to watch his wife using him like a puppet.

Do you honestly believe that's the case?

Here's my question...why would she do so? I ask that of anybody who makes that accusation...again, what would be in it for her?

Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 28, 2019, 12:32:21 PM »

Sorry, but if you had the amount of children...   Looking after your kids is at the top of every parents agenda...  Probably yours ?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 28, 2019, 01:00:14 PM »

Sorry, but if you had the amount of children...   Looking after your kids is at the top of every parents agenda...  Probably yours ?

So the Wilsons need the income from these little shows?  I kinda doubt that.  No, I haven't seen BW's tax returns or financial statements, but surely he's a multimillionaire many times over, right?  The royalties from his '60s oeuvre and BRI tours would surely support them.

Anyway, that Friends rehearsal clip might be enough to convince me to go to one of the shows.  Change my mind.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 28, 2019, 01:15:03 PM »

New interview with Al on the upcoming tour:

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/08/28/al-jardine-reveals-how-he-and-brian-wilson-will-tap-into-the-beach-boys-catalog-on-new-tour/

AL JARDINE REVEALS HOW HE AND BRIAN WILSON WILL TAP INTO THE BEACH BOYS’ CATALOG ON NEW TOUR

<< The band is rehearsing the title songs from both albums, as well as “Til I Die,” “Meant for You,” “Wake the World,” and “Busy Doin’ Nothin’,” he [Jardine] said. But when it comes to the set list, “It’s up to Brian, really.” >>
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:18:15 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 28, 2019, 01:26:46 PM »

I often read that it is not the real beach boys who are touring today. Hum... who will try to make me believe that Brian's shows are really Brian's shows. He can't move, can't sing, the backing band does all the job. Brian is not here for the rehearsals, but in the shows, it's the same. So sad to watch his wife using him like a puppet. And some people love those shows...awfull! His personnal renditions are an offense to his great songs. He should really stay at home.
Some people are happy to watch those rehearsals. The fendertons do the same, but they don't try to make us believe that Brian is a part of this.

I'm just going to cut and paste a response I gave to someone who shares this same ridiculous attitude. I would love for anyone who thinks this way to counter my points, but thus far this post has been ignored multiple times by the people who share this view.

but Brian..well, I still doubt that he is in control of his own destiny. There's too many band members and family members counting on that paycheck.
I think if Carl and Dennis were still here, this charade would have ended several years ago.

So I replied to a similar comment of yours a few weeks ago regarding this very issue (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26082.msg651089.html#msg651089). Which of course you ignored as you have a very consistent track record of ignoring my responses to your monotonous tirades about Brian and those he is around. Which is odd, because I feel like I bring up some fairly rational outlooks regarding your posts, and I would like to read any counterpoints you may have...But instead my posts get ignored and soon enough we all get to read the same broken record posts of yours in another thread.

I'm just going to leave a quote from my post a few weeks ago in response to your post here.

Scenario 1: Melinda Wilson is controlling Brian. So let's get this straight, Brian's net worth is $75 million. $75,000,000.00. Obviously this is not money he has in the bank, but it shows that the man isn't hurting for cash. Yet supposedly Melinda needs to risk the public exposure of controlling Brian like Landy by forcing Brian to hop on a tour bus, strictly tour Pet Sounds shows to make them more money? And all of Brian's family and friends, including his daughters who actually talk to the guy, don't do anything to stop this atrocity?

Scenario 2: The band is controlling Brian. The band, including Darian and Al, need to stay employed so they somehow have a secret cabal of controllers forcing Brian to tour so they can put food on their tables (apparently this is the only way they can have gainful employment). So the band, ignoring the fact that Melinda has already taken down the controlling Landy (to the point where a major motion picture was made about it), secretly forces Brian to tour, hoodwinking Melinda in the process.

If there are any scenarios (or alterations to the above scenarios) that don't sound completely asinine, please share them (anyone). Because I'm just trying to logically get to the bottom of this point of view.

I really would like to know your thoughts on this issue. Because I'm finding any logic to be completely missing from your argument...your theory implies that Brian's band has ZERO heart (because even if Brian was continuing the show on his own accord solely just to keep the band employed apparently you think NONE of the band members would quit out of protest because they need the paycheck more than they care about Brian's health/stability (and this is all dependent on this idea that Brian's health/stability is in some mortal jeopardy)?). Also, according to you Brian's family is depending on the paltry paycheck from this touring gig. Again, I posted a few weeks ago that Brian's net worth (not cash he has in the bank, but it still gives a good glimpse at how the family is NOT living from paycheck to paycheck) is $75 Million. So you're completely wrong about that. And you act like the band members aren't capable of finding jobs on their own outside of Brian's band...hell with this hypothesis you grant the band members as much intelligence as you grant Brian...which isn't much.

Unless you can actually back up that Brian's family needs this paycheck, or that Brian isn't controlling anything in his life and his band or roadies or tech people or bus driver are pulling some mischievous strings to keep Brian on tour (all so they don't end up in the welfare line?) with actual evidence, I'd suggest stop making these ridiculous claims. I'd also suggest if you are going to keep making these ridiculous claims, perhaps try responding to my posts with some in-depth thoughts about your theories?

Also, in response to your last line, I think if Carl and Dennis were alive today they would be appalled at the amount of keyboard warriors who allude to the idea that Brian is a damn vegetable and has no control over his life. I think they'd be happy that Brian no longer lives in an environment where Carl and Dennis aren't welcome to see him anytime they want. I think they'd be happy knowing that Brian isn't sitting at home on his ass busy doin' nothin'.

Most of all, I think Carl and Dennis would be happy that Brian has defied all the odds: the drug use, the obesity, the mental illnesses, the Landy years...and is alive and well (and active) at the age of 77.

edit for missing words

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: August 28, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »

Here we go again. Don't feed 'em if the facts aren't enough.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 28, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »

After posting this, how can this mustomax say he loves Brian Wilson and that he's his heroE Huh Huh Looks fairly contradictory to me.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx