gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:25:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208839 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 19, 2019, 12:55:40 PM »

For what it's worth, I read Brian's original message as a simple explanation for his inability to do a specific round of shows. The cancellation wasn't over a lack of will, desire or physical ability. Brian was having some specific mental illness-related challenges. This is likely something that he and his doctors think can be handled with rebalanced or different medication. It's also something, given the obvious amount of care BW receives, that probably isn't overly difficult to solve if everyone gets together and focuses on it for a while. Brian's mental health is likely improved by being on the road and surrounded by supportive band members and loving audiences. Staying at home after cancelling shows is likely not helpful, if the meds can be balanced out.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2019, 01:33:05 PM »

Guys, this isn't just Brian being uninterested to the point where he doesnt want to perform. In one of the videos I saw(I'll have to find the YouTube video again to know which exact show it was), Brian's eyes weren't even focused. He was singing(or, more like speaking) the song, but he was otherwise totally checked out mentally and/or emotionally from the show. Even at his absolute worst points in 1981-82 Brian wasn't like this. Something is really, really wrong. I'll no doubt get sh*t for this, but I truly think he needs to be in a hospital for a while.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »

Guys, this isn't just Brian being uninterested to the point where he doesnt want to perform. In one of the videos I saw(I'll have to find the YouTube video again to know which exact show it was), Brian's eyes weren't even focused. He was singing(or, more like speaking) the song, but he was otherwise totally checked out mentally and/or emotionally from the show. Even at his absolute worst points in 1981-82 Brian wasn't like this. Something is really, really wrong. I'll no doubt get sh*t for this, but I truly think he needs to be in a hospital for a while.

Jay, none of us know all (or even some) of the facts here, which is why all this speculation seems kinda ridiculous to me.

Logically we know this: Brian has just undergone THREE back surgeries, has had mental instability since the third surgery (whether by prescription drug imbalance or other forces, we don't know yet) and no doubt that has effected the way he's composed himself...which is probably what you're describing in those videos Jay.

In a message sent to us fans he acknowledged he has been having a rough time mentally after the third back surgery, and that he's taking a break from touring for a while until the doctors sort the problem out. You are stating that something is "really really wrong" with Brian when he has already acknowledged that something is really really wrong. You're saying that he needs help but he's already acknowledged that he's getting help. To compound this last point, he has cancelled/postponed concerts to get this help.

I guess I just don't understand the melodrama behind your posts...you're making claims that you think those "in charge" of Brian aren't taking his care seriously...yet Brian (or those "in charge" of him) has cancelled/postponed a lot of tour dates because of this*. I would say that's pretty serious. People seem to forget that Brian has a team of doctors at UCLA that help him with his issues. UCLA doctors aren't some Landy quacks. They aren't puppets at the end of strings being controlled by Melinda Wilson. They are doctors (who all took oaths) who have helped look after Brian for years and years now. Again, the man just had 3 back surgeries, has a panic disorder, half a lifetime of hard drug abuse, voices that tell him to kill himself, he had a psychiatrist who tried to kill him by pumping him full of pills, the constant pain of losing all his brothers, manic depression, etc etc - managing all of that to help Brian feel normal isn't an easy task. And it's ridiculous to be an armchair doctor and to say he needs to go to a hospital for a while when you virtually know nothing about his care.

I hope you don't take this post as giving you sh*t for your opinion. But this type of vague hysteria that paints a target on those caring for Brian isn't helpful, and it isn't right.

* And I want to back up Wirestone's point: "Brian's mental health is likely improved by being on the road and surrounded by supportive band members and loving audiences. Staying at home after cancelling shows is likely not helpful, if the meds can be balanced out." I'm not going to speculate what is best for Brian, but if he is like most other people with mental illness, the worst thing you can do is stay home with the curtains drawn.

And this plays into what Guitarfool posted as well: sometimes those who have gone through hell are thankful that they can still get out and smell the flowers. Brian seems to be going through a lot right now, and he's working to get better. The best thing we can do is send him an uplifting card and send a prayer out to help his recovery.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 05:50:36 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2019, 03:09:22 PM »

I agree with a lot of Rab's points, especially that this speculation is pointless because we have no idea what's goin on.  I admit I engaged in speculation myself when I said that the fact that they're booking new dates in September could be a good sign, but that's because I want it to be a good sign, a sign that things are improving.  But honestly, we can all look at videos of this or that until we're blue in the face, but none of us are medical professionals treating Brian (as far as I know) and we really, really aren't qualified to diagnose what he needs or doesn't need. 

Also agreeing with another comment by Rab, I do think a lot of the comments are based on the assumption that Brian has no control over his life, and that he's somehow being taken advantage of.  It's rather disrespectful of Brian as well as those around him.  Just from having seen so many interactions of the various band members and Brian, I really don't doubt that these guys truly love Brian and I just can't see people like that standing by and watching him be exploited.  The argument is that a lot of people depend on Brian for employment, but come on, does anyone really think that someone like Al Jardine is so desperate to tour that he'd watch his friend and colleague of almost 60 years be taken advantage of?  Especially given the history with Landy, I would imagine that Brian's friends and family are very protective.  The undertone to a lot of these comments about what Brian should or shouldn't be doing is quite condescending and assumes that he's not capable of deciding that himself. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2019, 04:22:43 PM »

I don't Jay meant it in that way; I can see why there's been concern. I will say this, though, if he's not ready it won't happen. These tours have to be insured. It's not like it was in the past as part of the Beach Boys. There's no Landy-type figure around either.

And again, here's a question I've asked before, and the "ones who should know" never have been able to answer. If Brian's being "forced"...well, for what? Same person has claimed that Brian's tours lose money. Well, so money can't be a consideration, then, right?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »

I do think a lot of the comments are based on the assumption that Brian has no control over his life, and that he's somehow being taken advantage of.  It's rather disrespectful of Brian as well as those around him.  Just from having seen so many interactions of the various band members and Brian, I really don't doubt that these guys truly love Brian and I just can't see people like that standing by and watching him be exploited.  The argument is that a lot of people depend on Brian for employment, but come on, does anyone really think that someone like Al Jardine is so desperate to tour that he'd watch his friend and colleague of almost 60 years be taken advantage of?  Especially given the history with Landy, I would imagine that Brian's friends and family are very protective.  The undertone to a lot of these comments about what Brian should or shouldn't be doing is quite condescending and assumes that he's not capable of deciding that himself. 

Exactly! Especially in a post-Landy era, especially in the #metoo/whistle-blower era, in a day and age where anything can be recorded quite secretly, where there is virtually no privacy due to surveillance cameras, where family and friends of Brian basically have a public obligation to make sure everything is going well with him....it just makes no sense that there is some secret cabal of controllers maniacally pulling strings to keep Brian bringing in the cash when it could easily be proven in this day and age.

Again, to those who speculate this. Consider where your information is coming from and has come from. Don't buy into the theories until you've looked at all sides. Once you've looked at all sides, please respond here with some evidence. But until then, don't vaguely hint at controllers or that people don't take taking care of Brian seriously. Because from my standpoint, it just doesn't make sense.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »

I agree, and I get why people think Brian is being controlled by Melinda or someone: he has a history of being controlled by others. And there is a history of him being onstage (certainly 1981-82, and probably other times as well...does anyone think Brian looks happy onstage in those 1976 shows?) when he was not well, physically or emotionally.

I guess perspectives have changed over the years. The first BB's book I read was David Leaf's, and he spent a good chunk of it wondering why Brian was being dragged out on stage in 76-77, when he was obviously terrified being out there. He would just sit at the piano, not sing, not play, just looked frozen with fear. The point kept being made that Brian's place was in the studio, not on the stage. Why are things any different now?

I also have to wonder what being onstage with that loud music is doing to his one good ear? I've got serious hearing loss in my left ear, and it rings for days, sometimes weeks,  after a show.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2019, 07:38:33 PM »

Melinda definitely doesn't control Brian. She's his caring & loving wife. Brian can do what he likes to. Fact.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: June 19, 2019, 08:06:54 PM »

I agree, and I get why people think Brian is being controlled by Melinda or someone: he has a history of being controlled by others. And there is a history of him being onstage (certainly 1981-82, and probably other times as well...does anyone think Brian looks happy onstage in those 1976 shows?) when he was not well, physically or emotionally.

I guess perspectives have changed over the years. The first BB's book I read was David Leaf's, and he spent a good chunk of it wondering why Brian was being dragged out on stage in 76-77, when he was obviously terrified being out there. He would just sit at the piano, not sing, not play, just looked frozen with fear. The point kept being made that Brian's place was in the studio, not on the stage. Why are things any different now?

I also have to wonder what being onstage with that loud music is doing to his one good ear? I've got serious hearing loss in my left ear, and it rings for days, sometimes weeks,  after a show.

That last point makes me pause...hearing goes with age anyway. He’s already deaf in one ear. He’s stated in interviews that being on stage helps him because he can distract himself from the auditory hallucinations by concentrating on performing(there’s one such interview on YouTube that I’ll post the link to when I find it). If his hearing is going and he can’t hear the music as well, what effect would that have on the voices?

Edit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OLdjjXDtA8g
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:07:46 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2019, 08:08:03 PM »

Melinda definitely doesn't control Brian. She's his caring & loving wife. Brian can do what he likes to. Fact.

Exactly

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2019, 10:59:34 PM »

I'll say one more, and final post on the subject. I don't mean to insinuate or state that it's Melinda that's "controlling" Brian, or that it it's any one person in particular. I All I'm saying is that booking more gigs for him right now is a bad idea. If Brian's issues are being underestimated and oversimplified, then it could end in potential disaster. I'm just concerned and want the best for the guy who has made an immense impact on my life.

Edit: I'd just like to also point out that I never once directly said Melinda's name in reference to poor decision making.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 11:03:56 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 20, 2019, 12:11:36 AM »

Rab, all your posts are great. Wanted to do a standing ovation after reading that first one. Mike absolutely bears a lot of responsibility for dragging out these rumors, which, if there was any truth to them, it would be irresponsible for him not to step in. But he doesn't. The idea that every single person in Brian's private and working relationships doesn't care? It just makes no sense.

Brian has shown he will absolutely pull the plug on a show if he has to. I know some people want him to take it easy and stop touring, but I don't know how many times Brian has to say he looks forward to getting out on the road before we admit it might be a good motivator for him even through really bad days. Not everything is all good or bad, and Brian knows when the bad means he has to put it on hold for a bit.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 20, 2019, 04:01:02 AM »

I also have to wonder what being onstage with that loud music is doing to his one good ear? I've got serious hearing loss in my left ear, and it rings for days, sometimes weeks,  after a show.

Why are things any different now? No offense, Lonely Summer, but if you can't tell a difference between Brian 40 years ago and Brian now, I have to seriously question whether or not you're trolling. You say that 40 years ago Brian didn't sing, didn't play, and was frozen with fear at his concerts, then ask why are things any different now...Because now Brian does sing, does play, and isn't frozen with fear at his shows. And yes, I'm sure he has his fearful moments: again, the man hears voices that tell him to kill himself. I'd love to see you, me, or anyone else fair any better under his same circumstances. He may be disinterested sometimes at his shows, but that isn't a sign of dominant control over his life. Every Pet Sounds show I've been to Brian has sung along, has smiled at the audience, and really had some beautiful vocal moments that I will cherish forever. More recently, if he is acting strange at his shows, it's logical to deduce that the mental issues Brian just messaged us about are related to those actions.

[Edit: to add a point about "Brian's place" in regards to the studio or the stage - people change over a 50 year period...no one stays the same. Who is to say that Brian prefers the studio or the stage these days? Only Brian. And Brian has stated many times in recent years that he likes being on the road. He says he is also intimidated by the stage, but he also likes it too. Regardless, I don't think any keyboard warriors need to analyze and scrutinize what is or isn't "Brian's place" or what kind of medical attention he needs. Given he is still in the recording studio, given he is now 77 and still plans on doing concerts, given he still wakes up and faces every day with determination, I'd say he is doing pretty damn good without our ill-informed opinions.]

And trying to rationalize this idea that Brian is currently controlled because he has been controlled before is completely asinine. For the last two decades you could catch Brian alone at his favorite deli, or driving his car alone through LA. He was once controlled to the point where for years he couldn't see his own family. When currently he can go see Carnie or Wendy whenever he wants to. During that time he couldn't even talk on the phone unless supervised. He currently has his own personal phone he can use whenever. I'll just quote my initial post on this matter in case you overlooked that:

But how many people (musicians, journalists, friends, family, etc) within the last 20 years have said "Holy sh*t, Brian's in a bad spot right now. Melinda is pumping him full of pills, he's being controlled by Melinda just like he was controlled by Landy, he is physically and mentally unhealthy." I have an answer to that: One. And his name is Mike friggin Love. 99.9% of everyone else who has actually been around Brian have just talked about how aloof he can be sometimes, but there isn't ongoing talk about surf-nazis, evil doctors, no contact with family, control, etc etc.

By claiming, or even entertaining the idea, that Brian is controlled to a point where his personal well-being is in jeopardy, you are disrespecting every doctor, every family member, every musician, every friend that Brian spends his time around on a regular basis. You are basically insinuating that those currently around Brian don't have the heart to speak out against such an atrocity. Such insinuations are unfair to people like Al Jardine, Darian Sahanaja, Daria Wilson, Melinda, all of Brian's close and longtime friends, and most importantly Brian himself.

As for being on stage with one good ear - I'm beyond sure that Brian wears top-quality hearing protection as needed, as many (most?) professional performers do. The lead singer of Coldplay has horrendous tinnitus yet wears ear-pieces/protection, they play stadiums packed with sound gear. There are ways to protect hearing these days even for stadium shows. Let's logically think through that when Brian is doing soundcheck he talks normally with the people around him, when he is doing meet-and-greets he is normally talking with people. That doesn't sound like someone who's one good ear is undergoing abnormal strain.

Finally, I will say that if Brian is being controlled to the point where he is being forced to do things truly against his will, I will admit I was wrong and eat my hat. But to base the conclusion that Brian is currently controlled off of "he was once controlled so he could be controlled now" or that 40 years ago he didn't sing, play, and looked frozen at his concerts and even though he is singing, playing, and not frozen at his concerts now somehow this means he is being controlled is pretty illogical and irresponsible for any fan of Brian or the Beach Boys.

Rab, all your posts are great. Wanted to do a standing ovation after reading that first one. Mike absolutely bears a lot of responsibility for dragging out these rumors, which, if there was any truth to them, it would be irresponsible for him not to step in. But he doesn't. The idea that every single person in Brian's private and working relationships doesn't care? It just makes no sense.

Brian has shown he will absolutely pull the plug on a show if he has to. I know some people want him to take it easy and stop touring, but I don't know how many times Brian has to say he looks forward to getting out on the road before we admit it might be a good motivator for him even through really bad days. Not everything is all good or bad, and Brian knows when the bad means he has to put it on hold for a bit.

Thanks much lonelysea Smiley I completely and wholeheartedly agree with the part highlighted in yellow. It just makes no sense indeed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:46:12 AM by rab2591 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2019, 10:08:28 AM »

There is merely one man who claims that Brian is controlled...the same guy who sued the hell out of Brian, Brian's wife, Brian's friends and business partners over a lousy picture on a CD a little over a decade ago* (as in, I don't think someone who has already blatantly lied about their own cousin should have any bearing on the debate about said cousin). And let's not forget the misinformation/disinformation that was spread by someone on this very forum (and possibly other forums) that painted Melinda in a very very bad light (information that was blatantly false). I feel like this information has permeated the minds of some posters, and has melded with the examples I gave at the beginning of this post, and created a foundation of distrust for Melinda or Brian's organization.

This pretty much nails it. Let's not forget indeed. The sad part is that some continue to believe this false innuendo and gossip coming from places of jealousy and personal grudges against specific individuals instead of listening to people who actually know and have known the situation, where the facts have been in the open for years now. It's sad to the point of pathetic that a very small number of so-called "fans" still believe this crap which has been debunked and disproven for years now over believing the actual truth.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2019, 08:36:25 PM »

As far as what Brian says to interviewers or on social media, I keep remembering during the Landy years how Brian told everybody that "Dr Landy saved my life", and when Landy's ethics were questioned, Brian always stood up for him. If it's as simple as Brian just getting up and walking away from a bad situation, why couldn't he do that at any point during the Landy years? I just can't believe that in his condition (and i am talking mostly physical) and age, Brian enjoys the whole touring regiment. There have been many nights on recent tours where he looked like he would rather be anywhere but on that stage.
Okay, now i'll be called a troll. I see it the other way around - i think fans are being selfish by expecting Brian to continue on these never ending oldies tours. Let the man have some rest, he's earned it. We don't need him doing 10 more years of final Pet Sounds shows, or any shows for that matter.
Does anybody really know what Brian wants?  Roll Eyes
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2019, 11:43:38 PM »

Eh, doubting every interview just becomes an unfalsifiable game. Can we really know the truth? I mean, yeah, we could ... if people didn't act like every Brian interview is done in secret code.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 21, 2019, 04:47:26 AM »

As far as what Brian says to interviewers or on social media, I keep remembering during the Landy years how Brian told everybody that "Dr Landy saved my life", and when Landy's ethics were questioned, Brian always stood up for him. If it's as simple as Brian just getting up and walking away from a bad situation, why couldn't he do that at any point during the Landy years?

Probably because Landy had him doped all the time to the point where Brian was exhibiting signs of a stroke?

Let's just logically think through the scenarios where Brian is currently under some Landy-esque control:

Scenario 1: Melinda Wilson is controlling Brian. So let's get this straight, Brian's net worth is $75 million. $75,000,000.00. Obviously this is not money he has in the bank, but it shows that the man isn't hurting for cash. Yet supposedly Melinda needs to risk the public exposure of controlling Brian like Landy by forcing Brian to hop on a tour bus, strictly tour Pet Sounds shows to make them more money? And all of Brian's family and friends, including his daughters who actually talk to the guy, don't do anything to stop this atrocity?

Scenario 2: The band is controlling Brian. The band, including Darian and Al, need to stay employed so they somehow have a secret cabal of controllers forcing Brian to tour so they can put food on their tables (apparently this is the only way they can have gainful employment). So the band, ignoring the fact that Melinda has already taken down the controlling Landy (to the point where a major motion picture was made about it), secretly forces Brian to tour, hoodwinking Melinda in the process.

If there are any scenarios (or alterations to the above scenarios) that don't sound completely asinine, please share them (anyone). Because I'm just trying to logically get to the bottom of this point of view.

I just can't believe that in his condition (and i am talking mostly physical) and age, Brian enjoys the whole touring regiment. There have been many nights on recent tours where he looked like he would rather be anywhere but on that stage.

And as I've explained numerous times before, the mental instability he recently publicly acknowledged has probably been the cause of much of this seeming disinterest. And again, he is currently getting help for his current mental issues by postponing/cancelling a lot of tour dates. And again, the bad back he has on stage is the same bad back he'd have at home: he has to sit at home, has to walk at home.

i think fans are being selfish by expecting Brian to continue on these never ending oldies tours. Let the man have some rest, he's earned it. We don't need him doing 10 more years of final Pet Sounds shows, or any shows for that matter.

Point me to one post, one article, one blog where some fan is stating that Brian NEEDS to be touring at 77 years of age. I don't think anyone expects the man to tour. The man could literally become a monk, join a monastery, and every fan of Brian's would likely say "man that's weird but that's Brian for ya." I don't think any fan would be selfishly angry that they couldn't watch Brian from seat 11F at the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino if they knew that Brian was quitting touring for his own health.

Does anybody really know what Brian wants?  Roll Eyes

Exactly. And to add to this, I'll just repeat a line from my previous post: I don't think any keyboard warriors need to analyze and scrutinize what is or isn't "Brian's place" or what kind of medical attention he needs. Given he is still in the recording studio, given he is now 77 and still plans on doing concerts, given he still wakes up and faces every day with determination, I'd say he is doing pretty damn good without our ill-informed opinions.

Eh, doubting every interview just becomes an unfalsifiable game. Can we really know the truth? I mean, yeah, we could ... if people didn't act like every Brian interview is done in secret code.

Exactly.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2019, 09:14:34 AM »

The answer to why Brian couldn't just "walk away" from Landy could be a simple one. There were contracts signed and legal issues beyond the main issue that Landy was a psychiatric care professional, a doctor who was board certified, and who was (originally) a specialist in treating addictions. In the worst cases his treatment method involved an almost full immersion into his program 24 hours a day to where the patient would be under constant observation and treatment in order to treat the addictions and surrounding physical and mental issues.

Landy was originally hired to implement this immersive, full-control "treatment" to cure Brian of the addictions and related physical ailments and Brian was effectively signed over to Landy's care. Allowing a patient in addiction recovery to simply walk away would be like pressing the self-destruct button, and Landy was being paid to cure Brian. Put 2+2 together.

What happened eventually was a total abuse of the doctor-patient relationship that went beyond ANYTHING anyone would have imagined, which could have and almost did destroy Brian...at that point, action was taken *through legal channels* to remove Brian from Landy's care.

If it were as simple as Brian walking away, there would not have been a need to get court orders and legal actions in order to get Landy the f*** out of Brian's life. Landy had abused his position enough to have taken control of not only Brian's recovery, but his financial, social, professional, and musical life...until the courts stepped in, along with medical licensing boards and got Landy out of there, along with stripping him of his license.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 21, 2019, 11:02:58 AM »

It seems pretty obvious to me that it's likely Brian himself and Melinda probably realize that when Brian has nothing in particular to do (as in if he's not keeping occupied), this will possibly put him at risk at falling back into not-so-great habits and depression from just sitting around, plus it might make Brian focus too much on thoughts that make him sad, such as the family members that he has lost, etc.  Let's also look at the fact that Brian probably did lots of sitting around when recovering from back surgery, and perhaps that in and of itself was a catalyst for the tough emotional times he's had lately that caused tour date cancellations.

I'm sure that being on the road - despite some parts of that such as traveling, etc being not so much fun - keeps Brian motivated, and dare I say distracted in a good way from the dark stuff that he has to contend with - and as it seems Brian may not have the inclination or urge to be sitting around writing/recording as he once was, the road must be some kind of therapy for him these days. Just my opinion. If Brian had the fire in his belly to write/record these days, he'd be immersing himself in writing/recording, and I'm sure he'd sometimes be grimacing here and there and doing quirky Brian stuff without a crowd of people sitting around speculating that he didn't want to be there. The  time-consuming road life these days has just taken the place of his prior time-consuming music hobby of writing/recording.

Also, I think that for a studio perfectionist like Brian, that it must be hard for him on a personal level to deal with his own decline of having a voice not capable of doing what his voice did at a younger age. Yet that's what Brian does - make music and sing - it's pretty much all he knows. So there could be somewhat of mixed emotions going on when he records new music and performs on stage, well aware of his own age making him sound different from how he did in the 1960s, but also simultaneously experiencing the healing power of music and wanting to continue making music and/or performing live because of that healing power. There's got to be a lot of mixed emotions going on for a sensitive soul like Brian, and maybe sometimes we see glimpses of that.

Let's face it - people who look at recent shows and want to say that Brian "doesn't want to be there" - and basing that on his body language - could come across as having a legit point on a surface level from just observing how Brian looks in a given moment, but that's certainly not the whole story and can't be used as a proper basis to judge the entirety of the situation.  

After all, look at how Brian's body language was on the Beautiful Dreamer DVD documentary, when he was sitting in a room with his band members, looking like he didn't want to be there at practice. Nevertheless, he pushed through those rough patches, and then eventually came through with flying colors on the other side, where it all led up to a triumphant performance of SMiLE where he conquered one of the biggest things that had been gnawing away at him for decades. I feel confident in saying that Brian isn't being "forced" or "coerced" into touring. It's not like his tours are making some crazy amounts of profit, for one, and secondly I'm sure that Melinda and those close to him wouldn't do that to him if he really, truly felt that way. I think at this point Brian is having "the show must go on" mentality with rescheduling dates several months off.

For whatever reason(s), and probably part of that is fear of growing old and mortality, the road provides a distraction from just sitting around and thinking about that grim fact. I'm sure the same is true with Mike. The road must be a great distraction.  If I was 77 years old, and had the opportunity to not just sit around and be depressed, I'm sure I'd wanna get out of my living room and off my couch too. Besides, even that's probably not as much fun as it used to be, as the TV show Flipper isn't airing anymore anyway  Grin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:27:53 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2019, 11:35:27 AM »

^ Brilliantly stated, CD

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2019, 01:29:17 PM »

^ Brilliantly stated, CD

Completely agree. Also, thanks Guitarfool for making all that crystal clear about the Landy situation.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2019, 10:05:27 PM »

It seems pretty obvious to me that it's likely Brian himself and Melinda probably realize that when Brian has nothing in particular to do (as in if he's not keeping occupied), this will possibly put him at risk at falling back into not-so-great habits and depression from just sitting around, plus it might make Brian focus too much on thoughts that make him sad, such as the family members that he has lost, etc.  Let's also look at the fact that Brian probably did lots of sitting around when recovering from back surgery, and perhaps that in and of itself was a catalyst for the tough emotional times he's had lately that caused tour date cancellations.

I'm sure that being on the road - despite some parts of that such as traveling, etc being not so much fun - keeps Brian motivated, and dare I say distracted in a good way from the dark stuff that he has to contend with - and as it seems Brian may not have the inclination or urge to be sitting around writing/recording as he once was, the road must be some kind of therapy for him these days. Just my opinion. If Brian had the fire in his belly to write/record these days, he'd be immersing himself in writing/recording, and I'm sure he'd sometimes be grimacing here and there and doing quirky Brian stuff without a crowd of people sitting around speculating that he didn't want to be there. The  time-consuming road life these days has just taken the place of his prior time-consuming music hobby of writing/recording.

Also, I think that for a studio perfectionist like Brian, that it must be hard for him on a personal level to deal with his own decline of having a voice not capable of doing what his voice did at a younger age. Yet that's what Brian does - make music and sing - it's pretty much all he knows. So there could be somewhat of mixed emotions going on when he records new music and performs on stage, well aware of his own age making him sound different from how he did in the 1960s, but also simultaneously experiencing the healing power of music and wanting to continue making music and/or performing live because of that healing power. There's got to be a lot of mixed emotions going on for a sensitive soul like Brian, and maybe sometimes we see glimpses of that.

Let's face it - people who look at recent shows and want to say that Brian "doesn't want to be there" - and basing that on his body language - could come across as having a legit point on a surface level from just observing how Brian looks in a given moment, but that's certainly not the whole story and can't be used as a proper basis to judge the entirety of the situation.  

After all, look at how Brian's body language was on the Beautiful Dreamer DVD documentary, when he was sitting in a room with his band members, looking like he didn't want to be there at practice. Nevertheless, he pushed through those rough patches, and then eventually came through with flying colors on the other side, where it all led up to a triumphant performance of SMiLE where he conquered one of the biggest things that had been gnawing away at him for decades. I feel confident in saying that Brian isn't being "forced" or "coerced" into touring. It's not like his tours are making some crazy amounts of profit, for one, and secondly I'm sure that Melinda and those close to him wouldn't do that to him if he really, truly felt that way. I think at this point Brian is having "the show must go on" mentality with rescheduling dates several months off.

For whatever reason(s), and probably part of that is fear of growing old and mortality, the road provides a distraction from just sitting around and thinking about that grim fact. I'm sure the same is true with Mike. The road must be a great distraction.  If I was 77 years old, and had the opportunity to not just sit around and be depressed, I'm sure I'd wanna get out of my living room and off my couch too. Besides, even that's probably not as much fun as it used to be, as the TV show Flipper isn't airing anymore anyway  Grin
I have absolutely no doubt that Mike loves being on the road. It's what he's always lived for. He's doing exactly what Carl, way back in the 80's, predicted he'd be doing. I doubt, though, that anyone would have believed Brian would spend most of the latter part of his life as a touring oldies act.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2019, 06:30:09 AM »

Yes. I need to go back and read Brian's book again, but I believe he said his routine at home is pretty much watching the news and Wheel of Fortune or somesuch. He had his deli routine, but that can't happen all day ,and not with a bad back. It seems that he needs ways to get out of his own head.  It's not like he plays golf.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2019, 09:17:08 AM »

A 9/29 "Greatest Hits" show has been announced, so I've added that to the top post schedule.

Also added next year's "Cayamo" cruise gig to this schedule for now; if/when more 2020 shows are scheduled, I'll start up a 2020 thread if needed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 09:19:26 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2019, 06:48:19 AM »

A 9/29 "Greatest Hits" show has been announced, so I've added that to the top post schedule.

Also added next year's "Cayamo" cruise gig to this schedule for now; if/when more 2020 shows are scheduled, I'll start up a 2020 thread if needed.

Looks like the first 2020 show is the rescheduled one for Lynn, MA on 1/24/20.
https://www1.ticketmaster.com/brian-wilson/event/0100565AC0B46CDF
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx