gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:09:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208864 times)
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2019, 06:49:26 AM »

I continue to get emails pushing Brian's September shows. The September 27th Waterbury CT show even includes a statement that the show will not be impacted by the June cancellations. I understand why they need to keep selling tickets but man, it is kind of a weird situation.

That is a mighty block of September shows, with a lot of travel involved. Even if Brian gets to a better place in the next month or two I would have concerns whether soldiering on with the tour is the best thing to do.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2019, 01:14:57 PM »

I would go see a "Brian Wilson Orchestra" show, as long as they made clear that Brian wouldn't be there, and it would essentially be a "Tribute" type of show. But I'd want it to be the "original" band from 1999 to the early 2000's...which would include Scott Bennett, among the others. I know, I know....that's a very controversial thing to say or even think about.

I don't think Bennett's on-stage contribution was or is integral enough to *need* him to be on stage. The band had enough changes just in the first couple of years that I don't feel a need for a replication of that original lineup. I don't need Joe Thomas and Steve Dahl, and I think D'Amico is as good on drums as Hines or Sucherman were. I might actually prefer D'Amico. I think Lizik is a fine bassist but has never been super to my taste, so if, say, Al fronted an amalgamation of BW backing guys, I wouldn't mind him bringing along Ed Carter or something like that.

I think Al (in conjunction with maybe Blondie and/or Marks) could front a pared-down version of Brian's band that's more affordable, consisting of Al, Matt, Darian, Probyn, D'Amico, some bassist (Carter or Lizik, etc.), and maybe one more ancillary guy to play keys and/or guitar. All of Brian's guys are great, but I think a slimmed-down Al-fronted tour could work without an extra percussionist, guitarist, keyboardist, and woodwind player, especially if he did a bit more Al-centric and Brother-era material and a bit less of the Summer Days/Pet Sounds sort of stuff.
My comments on Scott are based on some YouTube videos, now no longer available unfortunately. Watching the interplay between Scott and Taylor during Marcella was part of the fun in watching it. He's also a damn good guitar player.

He's also a convicted rapist, so why are we even going down this road?

This is by no means a defense for Scott's actions. Consider the notion that video surveillance were as prevelant in the 60's-80's as it is now. Where would Mike Love and Dennis Wilson be now?

I'll just leave that there.

There's been some....iffy....stuff said about the guys from time to time, but I think this is too much RubberSoul. I personally think you are usually a great poster, but this is beyond the pale. I think at the very least we can give Mike and Denny the benefit of the doubt that they aren't rapists.

I didn't call them rapists. But imagine if all their waking actions were documented as so many are today. Surely something somewhere along the checkered past for these in particular would've been highlighted in the wrong (or maybe right) light. I'd say the same for at least three quarters of the Beatles.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

I would go see a "Brian Wilson Orchestra" show, as long as they made clear that Brian wouldn't be there, and it would essentially be a "Tribute" type of show. But I'd want it to be the "original" band from 1999 to the early 2000's...which would include Scott Bennett, among the others. I know, I know....that's a very controversial thing to say or even think about.

I don't think Bennett's on-stage contribution was or is integral enough to *need* him to be on stage. The band had enough changes just in the first couple of years that I don't feel a need for a replication of that original lineup. I don't need Joe Thomas and Steve Dahl, and I think D'Amico is as good on drums as Hines or Sucherman were. I might actually prefer D'Amico. I think Lizik is a fine bassist but has never been super to my taste, so if, say, Al fronted an amalgamation of BW backing guys, I wouldn't mind him bringing along Ed Carter or something like that.

I think Al (in conjunction with maybe Blondie and/or Marks) could front a pared-down version of Brian's band that's more affordable, consisting of Al, Matt, Darian, Probyn, D'Amico, some bassist (Carter or Lizik, etc.), and maybe one more ancillary guy to play keys and/or guitar. All of Brian's guys are great, but I think a slimmed-down Al-fronted tour could work without an extra percussionist, guitarist, keyboardist, and woodwind player, especially if he did a bit more Al-centric and Brother-era material and a bit less of the Summer Days/Pet Sounds sort of stuff.
My comments on Scott are based on some YouTube videos, now no longer available unfortunately. Watching the interplay between Scott and Taylor during Marcella was part of the fun in watching it. He's also a damn good guitar player.

He's also a convicted rapist, so why are we even going down this road?

This is by no means a defense for Scott's actions. Consider the notion that video surveillance were as prevelant in the 60's-80's as it is now. Where would Mike Love and Dennis Wilson be now?

I'll just leave that there.

There's been some....iffy....stuff said about the guys from time to time, but I think this is too much RubberSoul. I personally think you are usually a great poster, but this is beyond the pale. I think at the very least we can give Mike and Denny the benefit of the doubt that they aren't rapists.

I didn't call them rapists. But imagine if all their waking actions were documented as so many are today. Surely something somewhere along the checkered past for these in particular would've been highlighted in the wrong (or maybe right) light. I'd say the same for at least three quarters of the Beatles.

I think you are correct. IIRC Dennis even was arrested by the police for having a minor in his suite around '79. Maybe also for giving her drugs, but I could be confusing that with a story about Presley in '73.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:27:06 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 12, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »

Nothing against Rocker, but that is quite a accusation to make when you do not even know the actual accused.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »

The Brian Wilson band presents: The Al & Blondie Show

Just listen to the Al & Blondie parts of that BeachLife show.. It would be an amazing show!

...but I would like Bonfiglio instead of Matt
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2019, 02:44:56 PM »

Matt is better filling the BBesque falsettos and other high parts as well as the Brian leads.

But Bonfiglio was good; stick him in the band too...

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2019, 02:57:30 PM »

It just struck me...why attempt to attach Brian's name to the ensemble in terms of ownership? That's the part that gets misleading...one expect to see so-and-so's band, if it's called their band...however, if they were to do something like "Surf's Up: Remembering the Music of Brian Wilson Feat. Al Jardine & Blondie Chaplin"...that might be more sensible (although by no means concise). A title like that also maintains the "beach" theme while speaking to the likes of us crawling about here that the full catalog would be represented with later/deeper cuts. However, I don't foresee Blondie being part of something like this after Brian is no longer on the road, so perhaps it could just be coined as "...Feat. Original Beach Boy Al Jardine"...ya know, just to piss off Mike.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2019, 11:53:49 AM »

New dates announced for 9/23 and 9/28. For whatever it's worth, they're still booking more September shows as if he'll be back on the road.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2019, 12:02:00 PM »

It just struck me...why attempt to attach Brian's name to the ensemble in terms of ownership? That's the part that gets misleading...one expect to see so-and-so's band, if it's called their band...however, if they were to do something like  "Surf's Up: Remembering the Music of Brian Wilson Feat. Al Jardine & Blondie Chaplin"...

I really don't like that title at all...sounds far too morbid. Now something  like "The Brian Wilson Orchestra" (basically like the Glenn Miller deal) would work better IMHO

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2019, 01:32:06 PM »

New dates announced for 9/23 and 9/28. For whatever it's worth, they're still booking more September shows as if he'll be back on the road.

We've got to take that as a good sign, right?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2019, 02:32:27 PM »

I guess it depends on each person's outlook. I'm sure we all hope this means whatever has gone on isn't too serious. But certainly others might feel that it would be okay for Brian to take more time off. A concern that August/September shows might be still difficult would not be unfounded.

We obviously don't know any particulars of what's going on with Brian. But it's a pretty unprecedented step that he took both in terms of why he had to postpone the shows and also the frankness of explaining why. But that tends to make some fans, who again don't know the details, worry that whatever is going on can't be addressed sufficiently in the span of only about eight weeks.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2019, 02:42:00 PM »

I guess it depends on each person's outlook. I'm sure we all hope this means whatever has gone on isn't too serious. But certainly others might feel that it would be okay for Brian to take more time off. A concern that August/September shows might be still difficult would not be unfounded.

We obviously don't know any particulars of what's going on with Brian. But it's a pretty unprecedented step that he took both in terms of why he had to postpone the shows and also the frankness of explaining why. But that tends to make some fans, who again don't know the details, worry that whatever is going on can't be addressed sufficiently in the span of only about eight weeks.

Yes.  I just meant the former, i.e. I'm hoping it means that whatever has gone on isn't too serious.  If he needs more time, by all means he should take it.  I would never suggest that he rush back onto the road.  On the contrary.  I just hope that if they're booking more shows, it means that he's doing well and hoping to be back at it. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »

Honestly, it kind of pisses me off. It gives me the impression that whoever is in charge isn't taking the gravity of Brian's situation seriously.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »

Honestly, it kind of pisses me off. It gives me the impression that whoever is in charge isn't taking the gravity of Brian's situation seriously.

Dude, maybe it's because Brian wants to come back earlier, and that's a good sign.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2019, 05:53:42 PM »

Dude, maybe it's because Brian wants to come back earlier, and that's a good sign.
True. I think I'd feel better hearing from him personally though.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2019, 06:06:24 PM »

We just did though. He's the type where if his mind's made up he's going to do something regardless if those around him are saying otherwise.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2019, 06:11:55 PM »

Ok, better start up a 2020 Tour thread. Another date. Screw the mind demons!

https://www.musicfestnews.com/2019/06/cayamo-2020-adds-brian-wilson-and-aaron-lee-tasjan-to-lineup/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2019, 06:18:23 PM »

We just did though. He's the type where if his mind's made up he's going to do something regardless if those around him are saying otherwise.
Has he made a statement since the one about why he canceled the recent shows?

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2019, 07:36:49 PM »

Ok, better start up a 2020 Tour thread. Another date. Screw the mind demons!

https://www.musicfestnews.com/2019/06/cayamo-2020-adds-brian-wilson-and-aaron-lee-tasjan-to-lineup/

Wow. Brian, Mavis Staples and Jeff Tweedy on a Cayamo Cruise. I'd swim to get to that one!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »

Has he made a statement since the one about why he canceled the recent shows?

Just the one thanking everyone for their support and that he looks forward to seeing us in the fall

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2019, 01:42:03 AM »

Don't you think it's a bit odd that a bunch of shows were suddenly canceled, with a long message from Brian explaining the situation, only for more shows to be added?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2019, 02:47:18 AM »

I don’t know much about mental illness but I would have thought ‘all shows are postponed until advised otherwise’ would be more appropriate. Having a set return date I would think is pressure he just shouldn’t have.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2019, 05:19:24 AM »

Honest question here, for anyone who wants to answer: why do people distrust Brian's current support system/Melinda so much? I ask this because, for many years, I have seen these types of posts (like Jay's above) that hint at some irresponsible/abusive power-domineering over Brian. I have gotten used to these posts, but I think we need to question the foundation of why these posts are made. What is the truth behind it all? So again, Why do people distrust Brian's current support system/Melinda so much?

I will give some real-world answers here:
- the FAQ book, Stebbins says he saw Brian being verbally chewed out backstage at a show
- Brian laying down on stage during a concert a decade or more ago
- Brian going out on stage recently with an obvious horrendous back issue
- Brian seeming to be disinterested at the Pet Sounds shows

Those are real-world examples of odd happenings that make us question whether Brian is in the best of hands. The latter three are seriously not signs of an abusive/authoritative power structure controlling Brian...yes, they make us ask the question why is Brian still up on stage when he has all these issues? But they aren't signs of some dominant/evil/irresponsible presence in Brian's life. Brian is a mentally complicated guy. If he felt he was in mortal jeopardy he could tell Jason Fine when he's out in a car ride with the guy, he could tell his doctors at UCLA, he could tell Wendy or Carnie. Keep in mind that Brian is the guy who said Norbit was his favorite movie (as in, he's seemingly working on another level than the rest of us) - if he becomes disinterested in singing 'You Still Believe In Me' for the 400th time he's allowed to do that. If he shuffles around on stage with a bad back, he's allowed to do that too: had my granddad been a rockstar he would rather be out on the road at 80 living life than sitting in a damn nursing home. So maybe Brian does have free will and chooses to be on the road over sitting at home. The bad back Brian has on stage is the same bad back he'd be dealing with at home. He still sits at home, he still walks around at home. Also keep in mind that any rockstar/musician will have some crazy moments. We don't bat an eye when Ozzy does something insane (pun intended Cheesy), or when Axl bites some dude's leg, or when Keith and Mick spending $10,000+ at a bar after a concert. Brian literally hears a voice in his head that tells him he needs to kill himself. He hears that crap every day. So with that in mind, I think the stage quirks and oddities are fairly understandable given what he deals with.

The former example (Stebbins witnessing Brian being verbally abused) is something I take very seriously, and it hurt me when I read it in the FAQ book. It made me wonder how many other times Brian was verbally abused backstage. However, consider this: that was ONE sole example from 20+ years of Brian touring, recording, and living outside of the realm of Landy. Most of us have been to one of Brian's concerts, perhaps backstage a little - there are a lot of people in the background who make those shows work. Consider that none of those people (catering, stage-hands, roadies, venue operators/workers, band members themselves) haven't whistle-blown Brian being abusively controlled. I completely believe that Stebbins saw what he saw. But I also think that if it were an ongoing thing, in the age of whistle-blowing, Twitter, cell-phone videos, a pattern of evidence would have emerged by now.

The Landy era was chock full of examples of abuse - Brian was literally dying, while musicians working with him told stories about his horrible situation. Diane Sawyer even did a piece that asked a few questions about Brian's situation.

But how many people (musicians, journalists, friends, family, etc) within the last 20 years have said "Holy sh*t, Brian's in a bad spot right now. Melinda is pumping him full of pills, he's being controlled by Melinda just like he was controlled by Landy, he is physically and mentally unhealthy." I have an answer to that: One. And his name is Mike friggin Love. 99.9% of everyone else who has actually been around Brian have just talked about how aloof he can be sometimes, but there isn't ongoing talk about surf-nazis, evil doctors, no contact with family, control, etc etc.

There is merely one man who claims that Brian is controlled...the same guy who sued the hell out of Brian, Brian's wife, Brian's friends and business partners over a lousy picture on a CD a little over a decade ago* (as in, I don't think someone who has already blatantly lied about their own cousin should have any bearing on the debate about said cousin). And let's not forget the misinformation/disinformation that was spread by someone on this very forum (and possibly other forums) that painted Melinda in a very very bad light (information that was blatantly false). I feel like this information has permeated the minds of some posters, and has melded with the examples I gave at the beginning of this post, and created a foundation of distrust for Melinda or Brian's organization.

I personally think that if Brian's life were being irresponsibly/harmfully mis-managed, we would have already seen some major warning signs, ongoing whistle-blowing, and an outcry from friends/family.

None of us know if Brian willfully said himself "I'll be ready in the fall to start touring again. I promise." But yet many here just assume the worst. I'm not blaming anyone for thinking this way, but I do think that before we make assumptions and speculation, we should ask why we are making negative assumptions...and if those assumptions are based on facts.

Anywho, I know this post was longwinded, apologies for that. I just see a lot of negative assumptions brought up here, and would like to know why. Above are my thoughts, but I would like to hear about other outlooks and other points of view that perhaps I'm missing.

*And to anyone claiming I'm bringing some "Mike Love is Beelzebub" or whatever nonsense like that to this thread, I'm merely showing the foundation of why I think Brian's current life/care is questioned to this day. I think its an important issue to dissect so we can here forth logically talk about Brian's life without the conversation being influenced by false information.

Edit: misspellings, etc
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:18:26 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2019, 07:36:24 AM »

I look at it as a positive, like he’s doing better

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2019, 08:05:20 AM »

Whether or not you're a fan of the band, and I am a fan, I'd recommend reading this interview and article about Blink 182 drummer Travis Barker and his return to touring after major health issues...these coming after he survived a horrible plane crash just over a decade ago. It's relevant to what is being discussed about Brian Wilson and touring, and the interview itself is very uplifting and powerful (and I'd say inspirational as others have found Barker's saga to be, similar to Brian's own story of recovery and 2nd chances and all that...).

I doubt *anyone* is asking whether Travis is being forced to return to touring, why he's out there despite major health issues that could threaten his well being at any moment, how or why he's being pumped full of meds, or any of the stuff (bullshit is a better term at this point) going around for years now about BW's touring and personal life.

Here are a few quotes from the Barker interview, pertinent I'd say to seeing what's been happening with Brian in perhaps a different and more personal light:

“As long as I'm not dead, I think they know I'm going to tour,” Barker quips.

“I mean, I'm able to tour. I still am on blood-thinners, because I have scarred veins that are creating blood clots. But I'm touring and I'm playing drums every day, so I'm fine,” Barker assures Yahoo Entertainment. “And then I got hit by a bus… but I'm running and kind of working out again and my back's in good shape. I bounce back pretty quickly, knock on wood, but yeah, I'm good. I'm excited for this summer’s tour and everything's all good.”

I guess from my history, the stuff I've overcome, my plane crash and stuff like that has just given me strength to overcome stuff and just really take advantage and cherish my second chance at life,” Barker continues. “When little things like this happen, I can't let them be so big or just take over my life to where I give up. I don't know, it's never been an option.”

And here is a link to the full interview. Seriously, consider giving this a read, it's worth it:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/blink-182-s-travis-barker-talks-health-scares-second-chance-at-life-and-why-giving-up-has-never-been-an-option-220212661.html

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx