gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:12:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208865 times)
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2019, 07:14:52 AM »

June 11th rescheduled for October 2nd. All June 11th tickets will be honored. Full refunds available through July 15th.

https://www.app.com/story/entertainment/events/summer-guide/2019/06/06/brian-wilson-beach-boys-pet-sounds-tour/3172883002/

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2019, 07:20:34 AM »

I'm actually not surprised if ticket sales were really slow this time around. Not trying to sound insensitive, as I love Brian, the Band, and all he brings. But after attending the last Pet Sounds show, when Brian really pretty much spoke the words to the songs without really singing, it was a big disappointment. It just left a lot to be desired, and I know many others may have felt the same way. It was almost saturated with the Pet Sounds performances, on and on and on, and I think th word about the actual performance may have gotten out. That being said, I hate to see Brian ill, but the last couple of tours, he just seemed off, and in pain, so I hope he heals and is happy. And if he never tours again, I've seen him so many times, and he's brought me and so many others so much joy, his job with regard to touring may e finished, but will never be forgotten. Be Well Brian.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2019, 07:25:22 AM »

Ticket sales may have been slow at other venues (e.g. Hippodrome), but that June 11th show was nearly sold out.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:27:57 AM by B.E. » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2019, 07:49:35 AM »

Updated the top post schedule with the rescheduled date.

I still think it's fair to wonder if some of the future (or any) of these 2019 dates will be able to go on. Brian's situation sounds serious; are they really going to be back up and running in two months?

In any event, I'll keep up any changes to the tour schedule updated so long as tour dates remain in effect.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2019, 08:02:38 AM »

Updated the top post schedule with the rescheduled date.

I still think it's fair to wonder if some of the future (or any) of these 2019 dates will be able to go on. Brian's situation sounds serious; are they really going to be back up and running in two months?

In any event, I'll keep up any changes to the tour schedule updated so long as tour dates remain in effect.

Agreed, it seems extremely optimistic that this can be fixed in two months. Even if Brian does show improvement in the short term, tours like these seem like the last thing a doctor would recommend for stability and recovery.

With that said, I wonder if the belief that the dates would be rescheduled and not cancelled was helpful for Brian to make the decision to step back at all.

I am glad he is putting his health first.

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »

From Facebook...

"Today, I read a message shared by my cousin Brian. My heart is swollen with love, compassion, concern, and thoughtful well wishes for a speedy recovery. Brian, you have fought bravely your battle with mental illness, I have no doubts that you will triumph and move gracefully past this speed bump. Let the music that lives deeply inside you carry you to your highest beautiful self, I will carry you in music every night we perform. I am cheering for you!”

I Love You Cuz and I hope and pray to see you soon.

Peace & Love
Cousin Mike"
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2019, 12:14:41 PM »

Looks like Al gave an interview to promote the tour that was published the day before the announcement. From the sound of it, the interview took place prior to any rehearsals, so the interview may be a bit older.

https://www.unionleader.com/nh/arts_and_ent/music/beach-boys-al-jardine-on-seminal-pet-sounds-album-and/article_f65cfcc1-97b9-5635-aede-c686dcae3b51.html

In classic Al fashion, he can't remember the title to "I Know There's an Answer" during the interview....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »

Total speculation but could tour insurance payouts be a reason for the postponement rather than cancellation at this stage? Surely a postponement is less expensive at this point and probably the preferred option.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2019, 09:28:38 PM »

I hope he's well enough for The Zombies tour...

Considering Brian was probably going to be the opening act this would be the ideal opportunity to try something I suggested a month ago. The Brian Wilson Band With Special Guests Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2019, 06:02:19 AM »

Considering Brian was probably going to be the opening act this would be the ideal opportunity to try something I suggested a month ago. The Brian Wilson Band With Special Guests Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin.
I love the Zombies but they were definitely the opening act not Brian, even on their reunion tours they’ve only filled venues in the hundreds not the thousands like Brian has. If anything they were co headliners but I’m pretty confident in saying Brian wasn’t the opening act. That being said, i love your idea, give Brian a rest and go on like you said. This isn’t the best example given how things ended but before Gregg Allman died his band toured as the Gregg Allman band without Gregg for almost a year before Gregg ultimately passed.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2019, 07:23:01 AM »

I would have no problem seeing the BW Band with Al and Blondie, but not sure the more casual fan, or many others, would feel the same. Tuf call either way, butI'd go see them for sure.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »

I love the Zombies but they were definitely the opening act not Brian, even on their reunion tours they’ve only filled venues in the hundreds not the thousands like Brian has. If anything they were co headliners but I’m pretty confident in saying Brian wasn’t the opening act. That being said, i love your idea, give Brian a rest and go on like you said. This isn’t the best example given how things ended but before Gregg Allman died his band toured as the Gregg Allman band without Gregg for almost a year before Gregg ultimately passed.

Fair enough. I thought the Zombies having just been inducted in the HOF may have got the second slot.
Given that you basically have two groups primed to go for what essentially is a short tour (one month), there probably isn’t a lot to loose. Both acts were promoting songs/album from 1968 and that still stands. Brian wasn’t touring them in 1968 anyway so nothings changed really.
I cannot find that Paul McCartney quote from years ago about Brian’s band. “Everyone knows they are the best in the business” or similar. Attach that to the marketing and people would be still interested.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2019, 08:04:28 PM »

In the press release it stated that the Zombies would open with a few hits and then "Odyssey and Oracle", followed by Brian Wilson with Beach Boys hits, deep cuts from '68, and solo tracks etc.

If Brian couldn't do the fall leg, it would be amazing to see The Zombies backed by the Brian Wilson Band, and maybe let Alan and a couple of guys do an opening set of early Beach Boy surf songs in a tight combo style. Refunds could be offered, but that's a show I'd go see.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2019, 11:01:26 PM »

In the press release it stated that the Zombies would open with a few hits and then "Odyssey and Oracle", followed by Brian Wilson with Beach Boys hits, deep cuts from '68, and solo tracks etc.

If Brian couldn't do the fall leg, it would be amazing to see The Zombies backed by the Brian Wilson Band, and maybe let Alan and a couple of guys do an opening set of early Beach Boy surf songs in a tight combo style. Refunds could be offered, but that's a show I'd go see.

The Zombies are their own self contained band.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2019, 02:21:53 AM »

And a damn good one at that

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2019, 07:36:49 AM »

And a damn good one at that

Absosmurfly! We saw them play Oddesey & Oracle in 2017 and 2018 (first half of the show was the current Zombies lineup, second half was O & O with the current lineup plus Chris and Hugh, Chris’ wife on background vocals, and Darian on Moog, mellotron, vocals) and saw the current lineup do a regular Zombies show a few months later.  Rod is jaw droppingly awesome on piano and B3 and Colin’s voice is still sweet and strong. Hopefully this tour will still go on because I think many BB fans would love seeing O & O being played live.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »

How about this award winning journalism!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/beach-boys-cancel-summer-tour-but-vancouver-pne-summer-concert-still-on/ar-AACAoiR?li=AAggNb9
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2019, 11:40:00 AM »

That's absolutely atrocious and from a major media outlet. Reporter and editor should be fired. I mean, what possible excuse can you have for running that piece???
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2019, 12:28:50 PM »

(face plant) Thud
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2019, 01:16:40 PM »

The ticket office ended up charging my card again for a ticket, rather than refunding me.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2019, 01:51:52 PM »

Both Brian’s site and The Zombies still have links to Live Nation and Ticketmaster for the 68 tour. No disclaimers yet so a pretty big call whether or not the 68 tour proceeds.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2019, 07:14:18 PM »

Yes, I have seen the Zombies three times and are well aware of how they operate. I'm just speculating on how an extra-special tour could be salvaged of a concerning and disappointing circumstance.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »

From Facebook. Seems all the summer dates are off:
"Brian, Melinda and the Wilson family would like to thank all of you for your wonderful notes and good wishes. Brian looks forward to feeling better and seeing you again this Fall. Love & Mercy."
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2019, 06:41:35 AM »

From Facebook. Seems all the summer dates are off:
"Brian, Melinda and the Wilson family would like to thank all of you for your wonderful notes and good wishes. Brian looks forward to feeling better and seeing you again this Fall. Love & Mercy."

Might they just be referring to rescheduled dates for fans who had tickets to June shows?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2019, 06:54:54 AM »

I would have no problem seeing the BW Band with Al and Blondie, but not sure the more casual fan, or many others, would feel the same. Tuf call either way, butI'd go see them for sure.

There's no way they would try to continue the booking without Brian in attendance. However much we'd love to see Al, Matt, Darian, etc. carry on with the show, and however much an audience would still enjoy a show without Brian there, if Brian didn't show up to a "Brian Wilson" ticketed show, people would complain regardless of how much they may or may not be missing or gaining. Even if the show would be better handing more leads off to Al, etc., and even if a show with Brian there might have him only minimally active on stage, the outcry would be much, much stronger if he wasn't there. It would maybe be different if Brian had formed a band under some band name with Al and Matt and everybody.

I know for years now people have thrown around an idea of a "Brian Wilson Band" tour continuing on without Brian at some point. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it would require some expert promotion and clarification as to what such a band/tour would constitute. The way to start such an enterprise (essentially an authorized tribute show) would *not* be to use it as a replacement for actual "Brian Wilson" shows where he was expected to be there.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx