gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:33:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208808 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #700 on: September 27, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »

Pretty cool to hear about Bruce.

Interesting to note that nearly all the Beach Boys were in New York that night.
Brian, Al and Blondie at the Beacon, Mike and Bruce at the Bush gala and Ricky Fataar happened to be in town as well.
Apparently Blondie and Ricky (and Steve Fataar) bumped into each other in the streets on NYC! Photo evidence below.

Imagine if they all took the chance to meet for a photo op..

Anyone knows were Dave was that night? Smiley

https://imgur.com/FI2auYq

How cool is that!?
During the last Beach Boys tour (2012) at one point Blondie played the same town at the same day or one day after the Boys, but unfortunately he didn't show up.

And yes, it's cool to know that Bruce stopped by for Brian, Al and Blondie's show.

I’ve been wondering this for awhile....anyone know why Dave no longer tours with Brian & Al?  Would have been great to see them all together.

Sorry, I’m a bit new here!

Welcome!
I wondered about that, too. After the Beach Boys tour he toured with Brian and Al but also played with Mike and Bruce. Then all of a sudden that stopped. IIRC there were health issues at one time but I don't remember what did happen.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 27, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »

Pretty cool to hear about Bruce.

Interesting to note that nearly all the Beach Boys were in New York that night.
Brian, Al and Blondie at the Beacon, Mike and Bruce at the Bush gala and Ricky Fataar happened to be in town as well.
Apparently Blondie and Ricky (and Steve Fataar) bumped into each other in the streets on NYC! Photo evidence below.

Imagine if they all took the chance to meet for a photo op..

Anyone knows were Dave was that night? Smiley

https://imgur.com/FI2auYq

Wow. Crazy!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 27, 2019, 12:52:59 PM »

If only Mike had been there.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 27, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »

Here's a really nice Love and Mercy from the Milwaukee show. Great closeups in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJjOnXBGJfE

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 27, 2019, 01:28:29 PM »

Here's a really nice Love and Mercy from the Milwaukee show. Great closeups in this one.

Thanks for the share. This was a definite highlight of the evening.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 27, 2019, 09:08:06 PM »

Saw them tonight in CT.  Brian was better than Xmas shows. His voice was the smoothest I’ve heard in years.  He shocked everyone when he came in on the bridge of WIBN in almost falsetto range as spontaneous applause started right then .  I think it was the best Sloop I’ve ever heard and I’ve heard a lot . Brian commented on it after how great it sounded . I was also shocked at how much he sang on Surfs Up and sounded great . He had his moments where he missed a cue on Til I die and Al bailed him out on the stand or fall verse of H and V.  Darian nailed ICHM and Blondie blew me away on LPR. Blondie also dedicated Feel Flows to Audree.  Al was great throughout and he and Brian had a laugh when Brian told him off the cuff to intro Diamond Head . Al was great as always although he blew a line of LAT but I think he surprised himself when he hit a high note during it .It exceeded my expectations as Brian had some incredible vocal moments . If this was the last time I’ll take it for sure!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:42:53 AM by tpesky » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #706 on: September 27, 2019, 10:12:38 PM »

Thanks for sharing...sounds incredible! Hopefully some videos will show up soon because that definitely sounds like a great show

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 28, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »

Does anyone think it's odd that while they've had a bunch of special guests on this tour, an actual Beach Boy was at the show in NY but didn't join the band onstage for at least one song?

On another note, any smileysmilers going to the show in Philadelphia tonight?
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 28, 2019, 02:51:28 PM »

Does anyone think it's odd that while they've had a bunch of special guests on this tour, an actual Beach Boy was at the show in NY but didn't join the band onstage for at least one song?

Just checked into ye olde hotel room. Can't wait for tonight!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 28, 2019, 04:09:02 PM »

Maybe they didn’t have an extra adjustable mic 😂😂😂
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 28, 2019, 04:57:43 PM »

Me neither!  I am so looking forward to hearing this amazing set list performed live. 
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 28, 2019, 08:46:04 PM »

Me neither!  I am so looking forward to hearing this amazing set list performed live. 

I think it lived up to the hype! Brian seemed to be having a pretty good night tonight.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 28, 2019, 08:50:05 PM »

What a show. I'll write a full review tomorrow of what I thought, but Brian came out almost on his own tonight, with a walker rather than a wheelchair. Brian really got into the deep cuts and he pulled off a terrific Busy Doin Nothin. Not perfect, but this show far exceeded my expectations based upon what I've been reading here (and I was already really excited for this)!

The crowd gave Brian a standing ovation after God Only Knows... a lot of love in that theater tonight.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 28, 2019, 09:58:15 PM »

I think it lived up to the hype! Brian seemed to be having a pretty good night tonight.

No kidding!  I was absolutely blown away.   Full review to follow...
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 29, 2019, 12:33:10 AM »

If it were a different group, yes, it'd be odd.  For the Beach Boys, no, it's not particularly odd. Weirdness is their status quo.  Who knows, maybe Bruce is under contract not to perform Beach Boys songs with any group other than Mike's.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 29, 2019, 01:29:08 AM »

Blown away by Russell Thompkins Jr's take on Don't Worry Baby at tonight's show (clip shown on Brian's FB page)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 29, 2019, 03:59:03 AM »

Maybe they didn’t have an extra adjustable mic 😂😂😂

Or a one-ended cable for the keyboard
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:59:34 AM by UEF » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 29, 2019, 09:44:23 AM »

Blown away by Russell Thompkins Jr's take on Don't Worry Baby at tonight's show (clip shown on Brian's FB page)

It really was unbelievable. What was amazing was that he sang it like it was just so easy for him! Like it was nothing, like singing the alphabet or something, instead of singing an incredibly high falsetto. What I enjoyed almost as much was watching Matt Jardine while Russell Tompkins was singing; he was just sort of shaking his head like he couldn't believe it. And when the song was over and Al introduced Darian for the next song, Darian sort of muttered "you want me to follow that?"  Very funny.

After the show I was standing on the street after most people had wandered off and Tompkins walked past me with some other guy. I had the chance to say that he was fabulous. He just said thank you very much and then disappeared into the Streets of Philadelphia.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #718 on: September 29, 2019, 10:59:56 AM »

It really was unbelievable. What was amazing was that he sang it like it was just so easy for him! Like it was nothing, like singing the alphabet or something, instead of singing an incredibly high falsetto. What I enjoyed almost as much was watching Matt Jardine while Russell Tompkins was singing; he was just sort of shaking his head like he couldn't believe it. And when the song was over and Al introduced Darian for the next song, Darian sort of muttered "you want me to follow that?"  Very funny.

After the show I was standing on the street after most people had wandered off and Tompkins walked past me with some other guy. I had the chance to say that he was fabulous. He just said thank you very much and then disappeared into the Streets of Philadelphia.

Small world! We were standing next to you when Russell walked by! We spotted him, said there he is, and saw you talk to him. Small world indeed.

Anyway, how amazing was it to get a dose of authentic Philly soul infused into a Brian Wilson classic? One of the absolute highlights for sure, because it brought Philly style into a stone cold LA classic...and it was effortless and perfect.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 29, 2019, 11:37:37 AM »

Last night's show in Philadelphia exceeded all of my expectations.  I have been reading the reviews on this thread and have also seen Brian's band many times in the past few years so I knew that there was a strong possibility of getting Brian on an off night. This was the third night in a row of shows and I think that for any performer three consecutive nights can tire you out.  However that was not the case at all. Brian seemed to be in pretty good shape all things considered. He came out with a walker and two people assisting him. The last time I saw him was in November 2018 and I came away from that show thinking that he must have been in a lot of physical pain because he seemed to be having a lot of issues with breath control. That did not seem to be the case at all last night. The only singing issues he seemed to be having were hitting the higher notes. His pitch and breath control were good and his voice sounded strong in the lower registers. He missed a few cues that Al picked up on but not a lot.

As for the setlist, I really hope that the powers that be and the guys in the band are reading these boards because I just want to say THANK YOU for putting this unbelievable setlist together. It honestly felt like a tremendous gift to hear Brian and co. play songs that I never thought I would hear live. It was like being hit over the head one by one with incredible cut after incredible cut. It really did feel like a gift to the hardcore fans.

I've already commented on Don't Worry Baby.  I initially wasn't that thrilled when I heard that there would be a guest singer  because I generally just want to hear Brian's band.  But Russell Tompkins was spectacular and it was so much fun to see the band respond to him.

Brian's voice sounded very good on the snippet of meant for you that they did. In general he sounded really really good on the lower registers.

Friends was a highlight for me. The vocal blend just sounded incredible. This is a song that I had never heard performed live before and while I like it enough on the album, there was something about it being performed live that brought so much more to it for me. It really sounded beautiful.

Wake the World:  I had heard Al perform this on the No Pier Pressure tour and he always does a great job. It's been said a million times but Al's voice is really a marvel.

Busy Doin Nothin was another song that I sat there kind of in disbelief that I was hearing it performed live. I thought Brian did a good job on this one. It's a very wordy song, and I really thought he nailed it. Also, while it is not a super high song, the notes do get up there and he handled it pretty well, only struggling a bit with the higher notes. It was also another song that really highlighted the entire band's vocal blend.

Sloop John B is not my favorite song but God there's something so emotional about seeing Al and Brian sing this one together. I've noticed several times in the past couple of years that when they perform this, at the very very end Brian sings a very interesting harmony but you can barely hear it because by then the audience has already started clapping and cheering. But but to me it proves that Brian is definitely still 100%, musically speaking, and even if his voice isn't working 100% his ears sure as hell are.

Much has been written about  Brian's performances of God Only Knows.  Yes he struggles with the higher notes, which is only to be expected. But it's beautiful, and the crowd loves it, and last night they gave him a long standing ovation to which he replied "thank you" and then "thank you very much" and then "hooooookay", which I thought was more diplomatic than his usual "please be seated!" at this point. Smiley

Then the Blondie portion started. I love Blondie and I absolutely love him as a singer.  However last night I think he was under the influence of...something, because the things he was saying just did not make sense. He introduced Feel Flows with some rambling comments that seemed to go right over a lot of people's heads including some of the band, who seemed bemused.  FF was perfect.  He did unfortunately mess up the last chorus of Long Promised Road although it was covered fairly well, then dedicated Sail on Sailor to Nicky.

Darian's I Can Hear Music was an absolute highlight. I really didn't think did anyone could come close to Carl on this song but Darian did. It was just gorgeous, and I would be lying if I said I was not swooning at this point in the show.

The next set of songs just blew my mind. Little Bird, Diamond Head, Passing By, Til I Die, Surf's Up, Looking at Tomorrow, Heroes and Villains...it was like being hit over the head with one unbelievable song after another. Brian really shined on Little Bird as the lower register allowed him to sing more comfortably I think. As other have noted on this thread, Diamond Head was beautiful, lush and atmospheric and I'm very glad that they put this in the setlist. Til I Die, immediately followed by Surf's Up, was for me almost too much to bear emotionally. I saw Al and Matt perform Surf's Up at Al's Storyteller show in July and it was so interesting to hear that song played with such a spare instrumentation and only three performers. Last night of course was the complete opposite, with full instrumentation, and it was just spectacular. Heroes and Villains is another one that I find Brian's band always knocks out of the park and last night was no exception. In particular, Brian's vocal on the Cantina section was exceptionally strong.

The hits section was fun as always especially with the Zombies joining on the stage after coaxing from everyone in the band. Everyone seemed to be having fun and you really did have the sense that it was the last night of the tour.

It was an incredible night and I will repeat what I said about it feeling like a gift. I regret that I came to my Beach Boys fandom relatively late in life and missed many opportunities to see them and Brian live. However, I have to recognize that I am so lucky to be able to see this band - Brian, Al, Blondie, and everyone else in the band - now.  As others have said here, it's a great time to be a fan. I hope that Brian stays healthy and happy as possible and if he chooses to stop touring I fully respect that. But as long as he tours, I will be there.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:40:29 AM by marcella27 » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 29, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »

Small world! We were standing next to you when Russell walked by! We spotted him, said there he is, and saw you talk to him. Small world indeed.

Anyway, how amazing was it to get a dose of authentic Philly soul infused into a Brian Wilson classic? One of the absolute highlights for sure, because it brought Philly style into a stone cold LA classic...and it was effortless and perfect.

I can't believe I missed my chance to meet Guitarfool!  That would have been fun. 

Your description couldn't be more perfect:  it was indeed absolutely effortless and perfect. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: September 29, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »

Sounds like an incredible show

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 29, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »

How large was the crowd ? Brian didn’t sound as good on this song in the above video as he usually does. Were his vocals “off” the rest of the night? I’m only 30 miles from Milwaukee, but I passed this time, seen him three times, including his show in 1999.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 29, 2019, 09:37:19 PM »

Brian told Al to introduce Darian the other night. It’s so funny cause he tells Al to do it and says Darians name . I don’t think Brian could do a show without Al at this point.  If you told me Al would would take Jeff’s place and become Brian’s right hand man in their 70s in 2000 I would have laughed at you
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 29, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »

marcella27's review really hit the nail on the head. Last night truly did feel like a gift. I never thought I'd get to hear Brian perform all of these songs. It was something special.

I was especially impressed with the songs selected from Friends. Diamond Head sounded fantastic and it was cool to see Al sort of conducting the percussion section and giving people their cues. During Passing By, I could hear in my head the unused lyrics to the song from last year's archival release. Those lyrics fit in so naturally, I almost missed them, but that is also a testament to how well the band performed the song. To sort of second what marcella27 said, I thought the title track and Busy Doin' Nothin' were just surreal to hear live.

The Surf's Up cuts were also very good. Blondie's wardrobe choices were certainly interesting, but you gotta love him! It was great to hear him sing Long Promised Road and Feel Flows. Lookin At Tomorrow was a real treat. I've personally never heard Til I Die live before and it didn't disappoint. I just wish Carl and Dennis could have been there last night, playing their respective instruments.

I left the show feeling very optimistic. I'm certain this wasn't the last time I'll see Brian perform. As a fan, I couldn't ask for more than what we got last night. The 6 albums released from 1967-1971 mean the world to me. Brian seemed to be enjoying himself the most while performing these songs... hey, I'd pay top dollar for a follow-up tour of 20/20 and Sunflower songs :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:49:20 PM by ppk700 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx