gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:35:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208835 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: September 02, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »

They should have Al do more doubling of leads with Brian. At this stage in the game, I think it's totally acceptable. The first line of "Do it Again" was pretty weak, and even sliding off key...but when Al came in with Brian on the second, it pulled his vocal right back into shape.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 02, 2019, 06:23:58 PM »

Thanks for the review. That's a killer setlist. I'm getting excited for the NYC show!  Smiley

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: September 03, 2019, 09:13:49 AM »

Amazing setlist. Are any of the songs making their live debut,  as in they've never been played live before by Brian's band ever?  I feel like at least a few of them probably are but I can't say for sure.

Almost certainly Diamond Head, Passing By, Be Here in the Morning, I Can Hear Music (setlist site says I’m wrong, but I’m not so sure), Looking at Tomorrow and Long Promised Road. I believe they’ve hit most of the others, although not for a long time in some cases.

I recall several years back reading they had done "I Can Hear Music" once; setlist.fm claims it's during that late 2009 run of shows. The setilist for that particular gig is partial, so who knows.

The three new "Friends" tracks have never been performed live anywhere by any BB or solo group as far as I know (Al rehearsed "Be Here in the Morning" back in 1998/99 with his "Family & Friends" band, but never performed it as far as I know).

Similarly, "Lookin' at Tomorrow" was rehearsed for the 2014 Soundstage PBS show (and even made it onto the printed setlists), but was not performed, at least at the actual final public gig.

This may also be the first time Brian has taken the lead on "Little Bird", as of course David Marks sang it back in 2013.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: September 03, 2019, 09:23:42 AM »

I'm glad they finally gave Blondie something else to sing. I actually thought awhile back that they might do "Long Promised Road" what with the (supposedly) upcoming Brian documentary, and I figured Blondie would be likely to sing some or all of it, and they could then line it up with "Feel Flows."

I'm impressed with the breadth of material from the two albums. They truly surpassed even what I expected with the advertising honing in on the two albums. 13 songs across those two albums. I would have guessed no more than 10 at the most, if that.

That's a pretty ballsy (setlist-wise) run of songs to do live, they run through 17 consecutive songs that cover only 1967-1971.

It'll be interesting to see if they can hold out for the whole tour doing stuff like "Diamond Head" and "Passing By."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: September 03, 2019, 09:28:20 AM »

Amazing setlist. Are any of the songs making their live debut,  as in they've never been played live before by Brian's band ever?  I feel like at least a few of them probably are but I can't say for sure.

Almost certainly Diamond Head, Passing By, Be Here in the Morning, I Can Hear Music (setlist site says I’m wrong, but I’m not so sure), Looking at Tomorrow and Long Promised Road. I believe they’ve hit most of the others, although not for a long time in some cases.

I recall several years back reading they had done "I Can Hear Music" once; setlist.fm claims it's during that late 2009 run of shows. The setilist for that particular gig is partial, so who knows.

The three new "Friends" tracks have never been performed live anywhere by any BB or solo group as far as I know (Al rehearsed "Be Here in the Morning" back in 1998/99 with his "Family & Friends" band, but never performed it as far as I know).

Similarly, "Lookin' at Tomorrow" was rehearsed for the 2014 Soundstage PBS show (and even made it onto the printed setlists), but was not performed, at least at the actual final public gig.

This may also be the first time Brian has taken the lead on "Little Bird", as of course David Marks sang it back in 2013.

- delete -
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:29:05 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: September 03, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »

It'll be interesting to see if they can hold out for the whole tour doing stuff like "Diamond Head" and "Passing By."

I hope so!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 03, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »

I hope so!

Same!

doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 03, 2019, 12:57:09 PM »

"Lookin' at Tomorrow"  yeah, the BB played that in the late 70's a few times... really heavy too, sort of a Marcella'fied version of it. Heard it on an unofficial recording about a year ago... cool

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: September 03, 2019, 01:10:59 PM »

"Lookin' at Tomorrow"  yeah, the BB played that in the late 70's a few times... really heavy too, sort of a Marcella'fied version of it. Heard it on an unofficial recording about a year ago... cool

"Lookin' at Tomorrow" was in the setlist back when "Surf's Up" came out in 1971. It may have survived into early 1972, but beyond that, I believe the next time it came up in the setlist was, strangely, 1983. That version was done with a more bluesy organ solo bit in the middle. That popped in and out of the setlist in 1983, and that was it, for the "Beach Boys" anyway.

Al did the song with his Family & Friends band in 1999 (and possibly in the year or two or so after that as Family & Friends limped along and did scattered shows), in an arrangement pretty similar to the 1983 arrangement with the organ solo. I think they added a sax solo part for Richie Cannata.

I believe since then Al has occasionally worked it into his setlist for his various solo-ish shows. He performed it in 2012 at the Roxy to celebrate the relaunch of the "Postcards" album. And it's of course often in his current "Storytellers" shows.

Here's the 1983 version. Compared to the otherwise kind of (sometimes) rote, fluffy, light sound of the '83 band, the '83 band absolutely *cooks* on this version of "Lookin' at Tomorrow"; like it's a different band. Would love to hear a soundboard of this from the '83 tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv77kR-l5mc

Here's the 1971 version from Princeton:

https://youtu.be/Lnqxisj-8aI?t=3334

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:20:54 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 03, 2019, 01:24:21 PM »

I was at a 1983 show at the Meadowlands in NJ when Looing at Tomorrow was performed. Great heavy job it was. This was also the last time I saw Dennis perform; his voice was so bad that the next day the local paper reported that Joe Cocker had showed up to sing You Are So Beautiful in the encore! Unbelievable!
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 03, 2019, 03:18:43 PM »

Yeah the '83 version is what I was thinking of...heavy stuff...

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 03, 2019, 03:35:36 PM »

I think if I remember correctly it was the Newark Star-Ledger and it was June of 1983.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 03, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »

Sorry make that April of 1983
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 03, 2019, 03:46:16 PM »

I was at a 1983 show at the Meadowlands in NJ when Looing at Tomorrow was performed. Great heavy job it was. This was also the last time I saw Dennis perform; his voice was so bad that the next day the local paper reported that Joe Cocker had showed up to sing You Are So Beautiful in the encore! Unbelievable!
I would love to find a copy of that paper.  LOL
Do you happen to remember what newspaper it was?

Here is a link to that concert https://youtu.be/MCBr8W_psp8?t=4721
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 03, 2019, 09:09:18 PM »

"Lookin' at Tomorrow" was in the setlist back when "Surf's Up" came out in 1971. It may have survived into early 1972, but beyond that, I believe the next time it came up in the setlist was, strangely, 1983. That version was done with a more bluesy organ solo bit in the middle. That popped in and out of the setlist in 1983, and that was it, for the "Beach Boys" anyway.

Al did the song with his Family & Friends band in 1999 (and possibly in the year or two or so after that as Family & Friends limped along and did scattered shows), in an arrangement pretty similar to the 1983 arrangement with the organ solo. I think they added a sax solo part for Richie Cannata.

I believe since then Al has occasionally worked it into his setlist for his various solo-ish shows. He performed it in 2012 at the Roxy to celebrate the relaunch of the "Postcards" album. And it's of course often in his current "Storytellers" shows.

Here's the 1983 version. Compared to the otherwise kind of (sometimes) rote, fluffy, light sound of the '83 band, the '83 band absolutely *cooks* on this version of "Lookin' at Tomorrow"; like it's a different band. Would love to hear a soundboard of this from the '83 tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv77kR-l5mc

Here's the 1971 version from Princeton:

https://youtu.be/Lnqxisj-8aI?t=3334

I was at the Princeton show and it was incredible to say the least. I remember LAT and being somewhat surprised they included it. This and the Carnegie show were quite honestly the absolute best I've ever seen them throughout the many years. I remember someone at the Carnegie show mentioning that Brian was backstage but wouldn't join the rest of the group but just knowing he was there was beyond cool. Had he appeared it could have been the event of the decade or perhaps much more.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: September 03, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »

That’s beyond awesome to have gotten to experience that. Wish I could’ve experienced that

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 03, 2019, 11:55:05 PM »

A new BW “Yes!” interview here https://youtu.be/mdrYO6gQxJQ
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: September 04, 2019, 08:13:45 AM »

A new BW “Yes!” interview here https://youtu.be/mdrYO6gQxJQ

Without actually saying a whole lot, Brian SOUNDS a whole lot better here than he has in a LONG time...upbeat, almost energetic!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: September 04, 2019, 08:38:04 AM »

As it appears Rob Bonfiglio is the main new addition to the band (with Kirsch filling in for him while he does more gigs with Mike's band), I have to wonder if Bonfiglio is the first person to (arguably) simultaneously be in both Brian and Mike's bands.

There has obviously been some back and forth over the years (Foskett, Eichenberger, now Kirsch), but I have to imagine Bonfiglio is probably the first person to moonlight in both bands at least for a short overlapping period, depending on whether he does any Mike gigs again after he does some Brian gigs.

For that matter, who else has, at any time, played in both bands besides the four mentioned above? I want to say Gary Griffin may have sat in at some point with Mike's band post-1998. I guess technically Matt Jardine would also qualify, as he did a few gigs with Mike's band in 1998 after Al was gone.

I think Matt Jardine and Randell Kirsch are likely the only musicians who have played at some point with Mike's, Brian's, and Al's bands. (I don't know if Bonfiglio has ever done a gig with Al solo; it's possible; I know both Bonfiglio and Matt Jardine were at various points part of "Wilson Phillips" gigs). 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:39:53 AM by HeyJude » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: September 04, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »

It felt less like an interview and more like a conversation. Definitely sounds great and they had a pretty good rapport

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: September 04, 2019, 09:42:00 AM »

As it appears Rob Bonfiglio is the main new addition to the band (with Kirsch filling in for him while he does more gigs with Mike's band), I have to wonder if Bonfiglio is the first person to (arguably) simultaneously be in both Brian and Mike's bands.

There has obviously been some back and forth over the years (Foskett, Eichenberger, now Kirsch), but I have to imagine Bonfiglio is probably the first person to moonlight in both bands at least for a short overlapping period, depending on whether he does any Mike gigs again after he does some Brian gigs.

For that matter, who else has, at any time, played in both bands besides the four mentioned above? I want to say Gary Griffin may have sat in at some point with Mike's band post-1998. I guess technically Matt Jardine would also qualify, as he did a few gigs with Mike's band in 1998 after Al was gone.

I think Matt Jardine and Randell Kirsch are likely the only musicians who have played at some point with Mike's, Brian's, and Al's bands. (I don't know if Bonfiglio has ever done a gig with Al solo; it's possible; I know both Bonfiglio and Matt Jardine were at various points part of "Wilson Phillips" gigs). 

Gary was with the Mike & Bruce band when I saw them in April 2002. The following year, he was with Brian's band for some shows.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 04, 2019, 03:05:16 PM »

Thanks, exhaustive search but nothing so far. Will keep looking.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: September 05, 2019, 01:58:58 AM »

Thanks, exhaustive search but nothing so far. Will keep looking.

Maybe Ian has a review of that show. Did you ask him?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 05, 2019, 09:14:38 AM »

Cross posting from the interview thread, where Al let something slip (as he so often does, bless him):

"As to how Wilson is doing these days, Jardine says, "He's up and down, you know? Some days he's on top of the world. I'd say he's in the middle of recovery. He had a really bad situation with an infection during the last part of last year and it just knocked him over. I believe now strength is getting better. I see him getting up and down and walking. So I mean, he wasn't doing that last year. Albeit he still needs the walker, but that's for the safety because you never know with lines and cables. You don't know what you're going to find on stage. But his strength is returning and I think his singing will return as well."

So it wasn't just the operations. Something else was going on.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 05, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »

Cross posting from the interview thread, where Al let something slip (as he so often does, bless him):

"As to how Wilson is doing these days, Jardine says, "He's up and down, you know? Some days he's on top of the world. I'd say he's in the middle of recovery. He had a really bad situation with an infection during the last part of last year and it just knocked him over. I believe now strength is getting better. I see him getting up and down and walking. So I mean, he wasn't doing that last year. Albeit he still needs the walker, but that's for the safety because you never know with lines and cables. You don't know what you're going to find on stage. But his strength is returning and I think his singing will return as well."

So it wasn't just the operations. Something else was going on.

Begs the question why more shows weren't rescheduled or canceled last year.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx