gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:16:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surf's Up
5 - 61 (32.6%)
4 - 97 (51.9%)
3 - 25 (13.4%)
2 - 2 (1.1%)
1 - 2 (1.1%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 171

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up  (Read 150055 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2007, 03:47:15 PM »

When I first heard it, I assumed it was Brian, too. The Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer was my ... third? Beach Boys album (Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile), and since I had heard so little and knew from stories he had been deteriorating, I just didn't know otherwise. I figured, 'wow, that's him now.' I was disappointed to realize it was Reiley.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2007, 07:58:14 AM »

Yeah me too... Then I heard about Riley and thought "maybe thats brian on tag at the fade out" only to find out thats its Al. SIGH  LOL
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »

Don't Go Near The Water-despite the corny lyrics, I actually like this song-the toothpaste and bubble bath verse is catchy, and the ending is absolutley beautiful

Long Promised Road-One of the best songs Carl ever wrote. Some people talk about how bad Jack Reiley's lyrics are, but I love them. Sure, Reiley's no VDP, but was certainly better at writing lyrics than Mike Love.

Take A Load Off Your Feet-silly little pop tune-lightens the mood of the record-kind of like Surf's Up's equivalent to Vega-tables.

Disney Girls-I like the group harmony on the old time dances part, but its way too cheesy for me, in the alternate universe that exists only inside my head, 4th of July takes the place of this song.

Student Demonstration Time-utter crap-goshdarn you Mike Love. Replaced by Sound of Free in my alternate universe.

Feel Flows-Fucking brilliant! Another great Carl song. Again, what is so wrong with Jack Reiley's lyrics?

Lookin' at Tomorrow-I often skip this track, but I do love the flanger effect Desper used on Al's voice.

A Day In The Life of A Tree-Good song, even if Reiley can't sing for beans.

'Til I Die-Yet another Brian Wilson masterpiece.

Surf's Up-Great song. I'm glad Carl finished the song and that it was finally released.

In the alternate universe inside my head, SMiLE came out in '67, and Surf's Up was included.
The Surf's Up album came out as Landlocked, with the following tracklisting:
Don't Go Near The Water
Lady (Fallin' In Love)
Long Promised Road
Take A Load Off Your Feet
Fourth of July
Sound of Free
Feel Flows
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Big Sur
A Day In The Life Of A Tree
'Til I Die
Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

I think I'm going to make a mix cd with these tracks-going to use the Adam Marsland version of Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again since the Dennis version has never even been booted.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2008, 11:03:24 PM »

I like it. I would have put 4th of July as the opening track. I will give it 5/5, though really more like 4.5. The good songs are great, and even SDT doesn't bother me that much in context, forced and unoriginal though it be. Not as good as Sunflower, or at least I don't like it as much, but holds together perhaps even better.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2008, 05:41:15 PM »

Four. Some amazing songs with some bad ones.

Best to worst:
'Til I Die
Surf's Up (Could've been produced much better. The drone organ in the right channel...who the hell thought that was a good idea? It drowns out Brian's original backing track!)
Feel Flows
Long Promised Road
Disney Girls (1957)
Don't Go Near the Water
A Day In The Life Of A Tree
Take A Load Off Your Feet
Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)
Student Demonstartion Time (Just horrid. Can't even listen to it.)
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »

Surf's Up is an interesting album.  It has arguably my favorite song on it ('Til I Die), and a string of other good songs.  SDT is too generic to be horrible, but it's VERY generic and that's never what attracted to the Beach Boys.  I would never let that song get in the way of enjoying the album though.  I can just imagine what it would have been like with the Dennis songs on it.

Don't Go Near The Water - 4.5/5
Long Promised Road - 4.5/5
Take A Load Off Your Feet - 4/5
Disney Girls (1957) - 4.5/5
Student Demonstration Time - 2/5
Feel Flows - 5/5
Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song) - 3.5/5
A Day In The Life Of A Tree - 4.5/5
'Til I Die - 5/5
Surf's Up - 5/5

That'll round to an easy 4.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2008, 12:13:17 AM »

Jeez, this album is terrific.  But I just can't give it the same score as Sounds, Smiley or Love You.  Damn you, SDT and DGNTW, for bringing this score down.

4.5, but it's a low 4.5, so 4.

Track picks:  Surf's Up (+++), 'Til I Die (+++), ADITLOAT (+++), TALOYF (++), Feel Flows (++), Disney Girls (++), Long Promised Road (++)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2008, 04:49:33 AM »

What's wrong with Don't Go Near The Water? When I first discovered the Surf's Up album, that song was an instant highlight for me. Just like Take A Load, it adds something quirky to an otherwise very serious record and the group's vocal tag is just amazingly beautiful (it always reminds me of Friends, the song).
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2008, 08:13:44 AM »

Don't Go Near the Water is amazing! I listened to it like 25 times in a row a few weeks ago. I especially love what's happening musically under Al's "toothpaste and soap" part.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2008, 08:26:57 AM »

I love it, too. Ditto for "Feet." They're silly takes on somewhat serious subject matter (at least "water" is serious subject matter...although podiatrists might say both are serious), and I suppose that rubs certain people the wrong way. But I think they're clever, fun and really, really good performances. To a certain extent, they're what makes me disappointed in how long it's taken Al to get anything new released, and that now that he's about to, it's barely new. These, along with some other material of his from the late 60s and early 70s, show that he's got a lot of great ideas and doesn't have to revert to remakes and cliched "folk" takes on things.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2008, 10:34:40 AM »

OK OK I originally just had "damn you SDT" but added DGNTW... I knew I'd have to answer for that Tongue

But it goes without saying that DGNTW is MUCH better than SDT.  I like the music.  And I like the way it opens with a water song when Sunflower closes with one.  It's just that some of the lyrics of DGNTW make me cringe.

I'm glad we agree on Feet though, that song is awesome Smiley
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2008, 11:22:51 AM »

I hear ya, I like DGNTW and I don't mind the lyrics at all, but there's something about that seems slight--I think it's the bridge that bothers me, although normally I think Jardine's a great singer, I think he kind of overdid it, it sounds like Mick Jones of the Clash or something.
axl wills
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2009, 10:25:59 AM »

The  first lp I bought from the boys.That's  a bland album but still has it's powerful moments(the BW ending trilogy)
Hope I could live enough time to hear"Wouldn't be nice to live again"!
That's the beautiful cover of the band.(along with holland) Cool
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »

Bland? Best BBs album of the 70s, in my opinion. (Love You may be better, but it's hard to think of such a Brian-dominated project as a Beach Boys album, especially considering they'd proved they could be such strong contributors by then.) More consistently good than Sunflower, less "oooh, we're serious" than Holland and miles above the other releases of that decade.

Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2009, 09:53:35 AM »

I think this album is very different from other beach boys album in a way, It's serious and I get a special feeling from songs like Lookin' at Tomorrow and A Day in the Life of a Tree(a question: does Brian sing any words on it?).

It also contains the best songs Carl and Bruce have written, Al is better than ever and Brian have his last masterpice(til I die) and greatest masterpiece(surf's up) on it. Great album!

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2009, 10:35:15 AM »

A Day in the Life of a Tree(a question: does Brian sing any words on it?).

No Brian on A Day in the Life of a Tree.  Jack Rielly is on lead, Van Dyke Parks - "Trees like me..." his voice is unmistakable if you have ever heard his solo work and Al on the lines that sound like they could be Brian "Oh Lord I lay me down..."
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »

[[/quote]

No Brian on A Day in the Life of a Tree.  Jack Rielly is on lead, Van Dyke Parks - "Trees like me..." his voice is unmistakable if you have ever heard his solo work and Al on the lines that sound like they could be Brian "Oh Lord I lay me down..."
[/quote]

Ok, thanks. Van Dyke Parks - you gotta love him!

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2009, 05:22:22 PM »

Brian is on the backing vocals, though.
 Smiley

A discipline daddy.
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »

I gave it a three.  I do love the album artwork though.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2009, 11:29:24 AM »

It's a real grower, this album. I might even prefer 'Day In The life' to 'Til I Die', the swell as the tag comes in is powerful. Would have been improved with more Dennis tracks, but then again, i wouldn't really take anything off it to fit them in - Lookin' At Tomorrow, perhaps. Although that's so odd coming from a beach boy it works on novelty value.

And SDT is a pretty good track, shame about the vocal. And it's a real shame, at that  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »

It's a little startling to see relatively small mention of "Feel Flows" in this topic... but having been introduced to it via 'Almost Famous' (and not being a BB's fan at the time), I suppose I tend to think of it as more well known than it is.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »

Brian is on the backing vocals, though.
 Smiley

You can hear Al singing lead in the fade out as well.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2010, 07:06:56 AM »

It's a little startling to see relatively small mention of "Feel Flows" in this topic... but having been introduced to it via 'Almost Famous' (and not being a BB's fan at the time), I suppose I tend to think of it as more well known than it is.
But for us Beach Boys fans, it's as well known as every other song on the album, to us.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »

It seems like, for the first 7 tracks, all the worst songs also happen to be the odd-numbered songs, and the good songs are the even-numbered ones. It's weird.

Odd: Don't Go Near The Water, Take A Load Off Your Feet, Student Demonstration Time, Looking At Tomorrow
Even: Long Promised Road, Disney Girls, Feel Flows

Of course, the last three are all sublime Brian Wilson melancholy, and definitely some of the best stuff he's ever written.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:47:54 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »

It seems like, for the first 7 tracks, all the worst songs also happen to be the odd-numbered songs, and the good songs are the even-numbered ones. It's weird.

Odd: Don't Go Near The Water, Take A Load Off Your Feet, Student Demonstration Time, Looking At Tomorrow
Even: Long Promised Road, Disney Girls, Feel Flows

Of course, the last three are all sublime Brian Wilson melancholy, and definitely some of the best stuff he's ever written.

I agree, it's weird, because the Star Trek films are the same way, the odd numbered ones (1-10) are not too great...I do enjoy parts of Dont got Near the Water, the wordless vocal is very Smile to me...it's a very odd flowing album.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx