gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:55:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys in Glastonbury comeback talks after not so Good Vibrations since 2012  (Read 17986 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2018, 03:59:27 AM »

Hold the Phones! Reunited Beach Boys and Orchestra for Glastonbury?  Shocked

‘Relations between singer Mike Love and bandmate Brian Wilson have been strained since the end of their 2012 reunion tour, but in a miraculous U-turn Mike has raised hopes of a full-on comeback.’

‘In an exclusive interview with Bizarre, he revealed he is back in contact with his cousin Brian — and desperate to perform in Glastonbury’s legends slot, which has previously hosted Dolly Parton and Lionel Richie.’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6258784/beach-boys-glastonbury-comeback/

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:20:19 AM »

Sounds like Mike wants a reunion

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:30:09 AM »

I read it. It doesn't really sound like Mike wants a reunion at all.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 06:32:40 AM »

Mike certainly sounds like Al did in 2011 (prior to reunion) with dropping a few hints.
Just maybe (and who's to know) plans are already in place.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 06:37:58 AM »

I read it. It doesn't really sound like Mike wants a reunion at all.
Agreed, its Mike trying to sell tickets in the most cynical way possible....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:17:43 AM »

#nowilsonsnobeachboys

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:34:34 AM »

Overhyped and exaggerated click-bait from a tabloid. Bullshit in other words.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 10:35:14 AM »

Yep, it's a tabloid, and yep, it's clickbait.

The only tidbit that *might* be interesting is if Mike is truly "back in contact" directly with Brian. I don't think they've had much if any contact since September 2012.

But Brian and Mike's tours are both booked through the end of this year. I can't imagine, in the extremely unlikely event that they planned another reunion, that they'd do anything before next year.

I suppose they could do more of a one-off show or event instead of a year-long tour with a new album, etc. But I think (and comments from back pre-2012 from some band members would seem to agree) that it would be a huge waste to go to the trouble of doing a reunion only to make it a single show or two.

The only thing I can see beyond "anything's possible" is that it appears as though Mike's tour schedule this year (and late last year) is *slightly* lighter than recent years. He took off December, and has only done around 25-30 shows through early May of this year. So if he's slowing down a bit, it might fit more into the mold of doing 50-75 reunion shows next year instead of 150, etc.

But it's all pie in the sky stuff at this stage. It was SEVEN years ago that they did that first reunion session for "Do It Again."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 10:42:31 AM »

I hope it is just clickbait from a newspaper that is widely disrespected here in the UK.

After the way the C50 ended how ridiculous to go down this road again.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »

Yeah, it looks like the British tabloids are using this symphonic release as an excuse to create BB stories out of thin air: Glastonbury reunion, hologram tours, and trying to make it sound like the BBs originated the RSO project instead of Patrick and Reedman.

Of course, we are talking about the same tabloids that started the Mike fired Brian, Al, and David crap too. Not a lot of credibility in play.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:38:16 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 11:45:28 AM »

In case it has not been noticed, the next Glastonbury is June 2019. One reason I think Brian might consider a few shows is variety. He is doing a Christmas tour end of this year remember.

Same detail but another story. This might get some wheels.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/lifestyles/music/article_309a73b9-462d-5697-b796-82c102e95162.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:49:33 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »

If they didn’t do it for the 50th of pet sounds in 2016, they won’t do it now. Why would they?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »

PS would have been all about Brian. Mike wouldn’t have got a look in hence he would not have been interested.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »

PS would have been all about Brian. Mike wouldn’t have got a look in hence he would not have been interested.

Absolutely true PF. It's gotta be all about the ego infested luHvster or it's not gonna happen. Personally, with all the water that has gone over, under and around the proverbial bridge, would it be worthwhile to see Brian on stage with that clown?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 08:40:24 PM »

A message via social media is not “being in contact “ with Brian.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 03:53:51 AM »

Honestly, everything about the 2012 tour and album was so great that I don't want to jinx it. Even if they were to come up with some great song in a real group effort(not just mainly a vehicle for Brian and Mike to reunite), the chance of them fucking it all up somehow is to great. Except for the tail end of the reunion(the spectacular way it all went to sh*t), the year 2012 was such a great gift for Beach Boys fans. There was a general good vibe in the fan community, and everything was just so.... "perfect". Let's not ruin it by trying to have lightning strike twice. I'd rather have the five surviving members reunite as friends and family than anything else.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »

So I just have ask, how much will be enough? The guys are all heading closer to 80. Do we want to see the guys together, 80 years old, still singing "Be True to Your School", "Surfer Girl", and "When I Grow Up to Be a Man"? Okay, let's assume a reunion does happen again. At some point it will have to end, will we be satisfied that they did it one last time, or will we still be complaining that it didn't go on long enough? Will we someday have the guys onstage together at 90, singing the old songs - but with a band of 20 something's doing the heavy lifting? I think we're pretty lucky they were together as long as they were. Was there any year in the 80's or 90's when they weren't on tour somewhere? I know i'm being sourpuss, but I think at some point reality is going to set in.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 09:36:47 PM »

I think I asked the same when Mike turned 60.  Grin

That being said, R&R legacy artists are in some uncharted waters. Keith Richards said years ago they were going to see how far they could “take this thing”, as their idols such as Muddy Waters had played into their 70s as individuals.

I must admit, for me the BBs are just a curiosity now live.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »

Honestly, everything about the 2012 tour and album was so great that I don't want to jinx it. Even if they were to come up with some great song in a real group effort(not just mainly a vehicle for Brian and Mike to reunite), the chance of them fucking it all up somehow is to great. Except for the tail end of the reunion(the spectacular way it all went to sh*t), the year 2012 was such a great gift for Beach Boys fans. There was a general good vibe in the fan community, and everything was just so.... "perfect". Let's not ruin it by trying to have lightning strike twice. I'd rather have the five surviving members reunite as friends and family than anything else.

Pretty much how I feel

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2018, 10:39:17 PM »

The best I would hope for at this point would be if by some miracle Mike & Bruce (and Al, but that's almost a given) were able to add some vocals to Brian's next solo album. Mike would have to leave his ego at the door for that to happen.

As much as i'd love to see it, The Beach Boys 2012 tour was so close to perfect and at this point how many freaking versions of Fun, Fun, Fun or Good Vibrations do we really need? I'd much rather hear new music in any form from the surviving members than a rehash of oldies at this point.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 03:13:42 AM »

I'm afraid I have to agree. The moment has passed. It was there in 2012 when Brian was already working on new songs for a Beach Boys album and was very animated to get the band working again as a creative act. But that chance was f*cked up by how it ended.

Just a couple of performances with the whole band would probably be nice, I guess. but not very interesting. In 2012 it was the combination of the tour and a new high quality album and the possibilities that opened up. Without that, it would just be a novelty thing without much merit.

The United States seem to be in a dark place right now, but still there also seems to be some sort of optimism for the future. I think the Beach Boys, as the american band, could certainly contribute a song about these feelings. But unfortunately I'm sure that if Mike and Brian tried that it would turn out to be along the "remember the good old days when we had fun, fun, fun. Let's get together and play ball in the sun"-lines instead of something as delicate as "Love and mercy" or "Midnight's another day" for example. So even that doesn't sound like a good idea. They had their chance, they blew it. It's over.

‘In an exclusive interview with Bizarre, he revealed he is back in contact with his cousin Brian — and desperate to perform in Glastonbury’s legends slot, which has previously hosted Dolly Parton and Lionel Richie.’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6258784/beach-boys-glastonbury-comeback/

Oh, may I?:  How bizarre!   3D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 03:18:12 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 05:52:36 AM »

As much as i'd love to see it, The Beach Boys 2012 tour was so close to perfect and at this point how many freaking versions of Fun, Fun, Fun or Good Vibrations do we really need?
Well, we have not had a new version of Do It Again in months now... Grin 

Actually, I would be all in for a new album of Brian-written material (especially if it included the Life Suite stragglers) with Al, Bruce, Mike and David adding some touches. each of the guys could offer some lyrics here and there. Minimal auto-tune. It is only a matter of time before it will be impossible.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »

Nice to see others share sentiments similar to mine.

But i'm all for opening the vaults further - more studio outtakes, live recordings, videos; that's where the BB's future lies IMHO.
KDS
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »

So I just have ask, how much will be enough? The guys are all heading closer to 80. Do we want to see the guys together, 80 years old, still singing "Be True to Your School", "Surfer Girl", and "When I Grow Up to Be a Man"? Okay, let's assume a reunion does happen again. At some point it will have to end, will we be satisfied that they did it one last time, or will we still be complaining that it didn't go on long enough? Will we someday have the guys onstage together at 90, singing the old songs - but with a band of 20 something's doing the heavy lifting? I think we're pretty lucky they were together as long as they were. Was there any year in the 80's or 90's when they weren't on tour somewhere? I know i'm being sourpuss, but I think at some point reality is going to set in.

Who knows when we'll be at the point where there are no more BB's out there anymore.   Obviously, sooner rather than later.   The one thing that's for sure is that none of these guys have anything left to prove, and really haven't for awhile. 

So, while we're still getting shows and new records from the surviving parties, we might as well enjoy it, because it won't last forever (it's kinda sad). 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 07:36:49 AM »

Various thoughts:

If someone has decided that the Beach Boys individually and collectively are no longer able to put on a viable, enjoyable show (and/or record releasable music), then not wanting another reunion makes sense.

But if you’re still going to Brian shows (and/or Mike shows), then I don’t see a reason to also claim that the guys are too old to do another album or tour. A “reunion” Beach Boys concert is just Brian’s show with Mike singing some of the leads (and Bruce singing one or two), with a wider net cast setlist-wise, and Mike bringing a few of his guys along.

I’ve always been very grateful for the great results of the 2012 reunion. But it was NOT perfect as a project on the whole. It ended disastrously, and that *will* always be part of the story unfortunately. In fact, to all but the true hardcore fans and a few hardcore knowledgeable journalists (and hopefully some day a true biographer), the lingering story to this day as far as the reunion goes is how abruptly it seemed to end, and how messy and acrimonious it was.

No doubt, if they do another reunion, it *could* end even worse than it did in 2012. But I’ve never understood the idea of not wanting to sully the 2012 reunion, as if it was perfect. That entire project (album and tour, etc.) was a mess, and it was a miracle it succeeded in the key fronts that it did.

But the band is fully capable of ending the story on a much better note. I’m not saying they *would*, but only that they *could*; they could learn from the mistake of 2012. Yes, the clock is ticking and they’re getting older. But their capabilities aren’t much different than they were in 2012. Brian did more shows in 2016 and 2017 than he did in 2012 (carrying more of the load than he did in 2012).

I’m also not saying another reunion is viable or even advisable under current conditions. So long as Mike remains antagonistic, I don’t think anybody wants a reunion under duress. I don’t think anybody wants Brian to have to be on stage (or in the studio) with someone who has animosity towards him or his wife. I don’t think anybody wants Brian’s potential artistic vision compromised in order to preserve a songwriting “partnership” that hasn’t been particularly viable since about 1979.

But again, a reunion under the right circumstances could be good both in terms of the quality of the product (live show, possibly another album) as well as the organization/legacy of the project. It’s an extreme long shot, no question. It would require a commitment from everybody to *end* the saga this way most likely. It would have to be the five-man lineup as the “Beach Boys” from here on out, with Mike doing any side shows under another name (California Beach Band, etc.). It would require Brian to allow (or arguably placate) Mike by at least *trying* a few collaborations.

As has been pointed out, the band was the laughing stock of the industry at the end of 2012. They biffed it hard, and it could have been easy. A nice Vegas residency and another album would have been *easy*, and could be worked out within the framework of more international (and US) shows. In 2012 they hadn’t even *started* making the real money.

It may indeed be too late, not so much due to the age of the members, but possibly due to a sullied industry reputation. They still get shows booked on their own, and surely a reunion could still get bookings. But they may never again get those epic, high-profile offers (e.g. Madison Square Garden). 

I’m not even saying I *want* a reunion necessarily, especially if, as I mentioned, it would be under duress and/or would be imbued with Mike’s negativity. But it is as viable as their respective individual tours are.

It is also true that the archives are truly the crown jewel of their empire at this stage. DOZENS of discs worth of amazing material. Unfortunately, few if any of the actual members of the group realize how much inherent value that material has.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx